CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

17 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Would an average sized rowboat support your skill without capsizing?

On a scale of Scooner to Titanic, I'll go Concordia. 

• Like (+1) 1

I gave up on taking H5 customs super seriously long ago because of the jumpy aiming and Magnum blanks. That's why our current settings are centered around the H2 BR. It may be the easiest starting weapon behind the CE Pistol in H5, but it's easily the most consistent and fun IMO.

Implying the reason 5  shots didn't happen constantly in default Halo 5 because of it being 'difficult' and not the ability to suddenly change position at the tap of a button, crouching that ruined hit boxes, and clamber that ruined hit boxes. And aiming in those evolved lobbies was a shit show, especially if you barely played default Halo 5, then jumped into that. 

I would be pumped about 4 TSK's in a row, it's not easy just possible. Ignoring the possibility that people weren't MLG 1337 GAM3RS even hitting 2 TSKs back to back is considered montage worthy in CE 2v2 montages. See: Image of the Invisible

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'm not just kicking a dude for no reason, I'm just saying he was nowhere near the best player in Evolved. Thus, I'm just questioning how someone who obviously isn't a god at the game can suddenly quad-3 people. In a row. Without missing a shot. On the "hardest" game. With the "hardest" utility. Getting a back to back perfect kill is something I personally find to be a big deal with an easier pistol in Halo 5, let alone four perfies. Again, in a row. Without missing a shot, or shooting past three shots. Just hilariously skeptical the game's actually hard if someone of his caliber can do that in his first LAN. Of course, the LAN group could just be bad and somehow enable this, on top of the prior points.

Don't need to try it, either. Have already played it. Game's of no interest to me. 

Maybe he just made a good play? Maybe allow for that as a possibility instead of being intentionally rude and willfully ignorant.  Anyways I'm done with this. You really are insufferable to read anymore.

• Salt (-1) 1

In my experience, typically bad players can have bursts of proficiency. There something called the flow state where your brain gets into a rhythm and you can perform things effortlessly. For me, this happens occasionally when playing an instrument or a sport, but some games do a really good job of encouraging the flow state. Halo 1 is one of those games. The people I play with are pretty trash and casual gamers in general but sometimes go on a streak, especially in 400% health SWAT where there’s nothing but pistol. Because of the aiming, Halo 5 seems like a game that wants to yank you out of the flow state before it even starts. I’m hoping Halo 6 has a strong emphasis on the utility gun and smooth input mechanics so I can just get in the zone and stay there.

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

what y'all saying about this

Been known. People just don't want to listen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Been known. People just don't want to listen.

never knew it was that bad in h5 and h3 lol

guess i dont pay attention

1 minute ago, Hard Way said:

Maybe he just made a good play? Maybe allow for that as a possibility instead of being intentionally rude and willfully ignorant.  Anyways I'm done with this. You really are insufferable to read anymore.

First, saying someone isn't good isn't rude if it's reality. And I'm not being willfully ignorant if I'm being skeptical on and pondering why the fuck something happened in game as it did. Step back a tad, and stop assuming malice, because I don't give a shit to insult someone in this circumstance. I only give a shit about the question I raised, and my point.

The point I was making, again, was that someone at his level being able to quad-3 people, in a row, without missing, at his first LAN, makes me question if the pistol is really as hard as it's claimed to be. There is nothing there that is about attacking a person, it's just using them as an example by experience. It happens to all of us, dude. Get over it, and at least take a stab at the inquiry if you're gonna talk, over wasting your breath, and my time getting needlessly offended, and having to make me break down and re-explain what I said. Or just don't respond to "bait". You don't have to respond to me, and that would stop useless drama in its tracks, before it can start.

Also, the sentence should be "you're insufferable". Cut off the "to read anymore", and you're flying. 

• Fire (+1) 3

If you guys really want to get a feel for a great utility weapon, there’s modded Halo 4 gametypes with reduced aim assist.  Download ksoft and play with the values yourself if you’d like.  It will give you a better idea of what you want out of a utility weapon rather than being limited to only the stock variants from each game.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If you guys really want to get a feel for a great utility weapon, there’s modded Halo 4 gametypes with reduced aim assist.  Download ksoft and play with the values yourself if you’d like.  It will give you a better idea of what you want out of a utility weapon rather than being limited to only the stock variants from each game.  

Already have the HE Top Mid settings on my H4 file share bound for MCC. No sprint, no BR spread, nerfed sniper, etc. I think the only thing it's missing is descope.

1 hour ago, Botheredhat360 said:

The H3 AR is a noob cannon, more shocking news at 11. Also the post-TU H5 AR is supposedly a "precision weapon" and has a headshot bonus so nice false equivalence here lol.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Basu said:

The H3 AR is a noob cannon, more shocking news at 11. Also the post-TU H5 AR is supposedly a "precision weapon" and has a headshot bonus so nice false equivalence here lol.

Given they only compared magnetism and said nothing else about the weapon's traits, there isn't any false equivalence, but okay.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't know why Halo 3 is always looked at as the pinnacle of classic Halo, we've acknowledged that it is the classic Halo with the most problems regarding sandbox/weapons.  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

It’s a fair point that @TheIcePrincessbrings up but I’m not sure it was in response to any definitive claims. The CE pistol can be hard to use, sure. But it can also be moderately difficult to easy at times depending on the situation. As with any weapon in a console shooter there is a sweet spot resulting from the aim assist and bullet magnetism characteristics. TSKs aren’t hard when the opponent is unaware or moving predictably, which is part of why people say it’s overpowered—they’re not playing against strafing opponents who can often predict your movement. When you’re fighting an up-close battle against a strafing and ducking opponent, I can attest that it’s one of the hardest weapons in the series. I think a couple reasons why Halo 5’s magnum can feel easy at times yet hard to get a perfect kill are the thruster pack and the kill time. In 1.2s you can thrust to make your opponent miss a shot or two. In 0.6s you’re dead before you can strafe.

Regardless, you don’t always notice things in the moment so you sometimes just “feel like a badass” when the game was really helping you. And some of the perceived difficulty is a result of random spread. That’s something we can all agree isn’t desirable. The aim assist and magnetism is a bit more complicated. At the end of the day, though, I think we can also agree on what we want from a precision weapon: satisfying gunfights and a reason to challenge your opponents head on.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

That's why our current settings are centered around the H2 BR. It may be the easiest starting weapon behind the CE Pistol in H5, but it's easily the most consistent and fun IMO.

"Fun":wutface:

If you enjoy the gun aiming itself. Whatever floats your boat.

• Like (+1) 3

Console games need to be designed around the limitations of aiming with a thumbstick.  This is why advanced movement doesn’t work in Halo.  The only way to balance it is to turn the aim assist and magnetism up way too high.  The problem with this is that advanced movement is not available all the time so you are left with a game that retains the ridiculous aim assist but doesn’t have the counter to it.

Strafing, crouching, and jumping should provide players with the ability to quickly and fluidly dodge left, right, up and down.  If these work properly, there is no need for advanced movement.

• Like (+1) 4

16 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Sorry to double post, but I finally got to meet @SMARTAN 427 today! He was one of my first Youtube subscribers way back in 2013, and gave me support when I needed it most. He came over to my place to play some OG CE 2v2's for his first time on LAN. We had some awesome games and it was great to meet in person :)

I think my favorite part was teaming with him in his first few games, and him shooting the pistol on host for the first time and hitting FOUR TSK's in row. He was like, "So this is what it's supposed to feel like!" No overshooting or anything. Just 12 bullets and 4 kills. After dealing with so much MCC bs, I was glad I got to be there when he got to play the real thing.

Wow, it has been a while, hasn't it? I'm glad you appreciated that initial support back then. I remember those gameplay reviews you did for me fondly. It has been great playing games with you since, and after hearing back then that you were from the same state, it was awesome to finally meet you in person too, man.

The LAN certainly helped cement in my mind all of the previously mentioned flaws with MCC CE. I'm still speechless at just how effective the stun is on the Plasma Rifle. That was a whole new experience lol.

16 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Is the pistol really that hard, then? 

I was wondering the same thing until we switched up the teams so that I could fight at least one person who actually strafed. Lucky moments can still be memorable highlights.

And... IMO it is a lot easier to be better at a game that I fundamentally enjoy vs one that I don't.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Console games need to be designed around the limitations of aiming with a thumbstick.  This is why advanced movement doesn’t work in Halo.  The only way to balance it is to turn the aim assist and magnetism up way too high.  The problem with this is that advanced movement is not available all the time so you are left with a game that retains the ridiculous aim assist but doesn’t have the counter to it.

Strafing, crouching, and jumping should provide players with the ability to quickly and fluidly dodge left, right, up and down.  If these work properly, there is no need for advanced movement.

And this is why there is some basis for arguments in support of extra movement mechanics. Movement in Halo has never been what it needs to be. Sometimes that’s a result of sluggish acceleration, restricted field of view, a jump delay, or maybe weapons’ ease of use puts down any strafe. My main gripe with “enhanced” mobility is that it doesn’t fix the problems Halo has had for years. Because if it did, I could turn off the abilities in customs and have a great time.

Ever since H3 people have been saying up the movement speed and acceleration and bring the FOV back to CE splitscreen levels. This shit should take 5 minutes max. But here we are 12 years later with tons of superfluous bullshit "fixes" to Halo's problems, it's quite literally insane.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Basu said:

Ever since H3 people have been saying up the movement speed and acceleration and bring the FOV back to CE splitscreen levels. This shit should take 5 minutes max. But here we are 12 years later with tons of superfluous bullshit "fixes" to Halo's problems, it's quite literally insane.

If 343 won't do it, the modding community will.

• Like (+1) 1

The Corner Gun is a battery operated, semi automatic, projectile weapon.  While unscoped, RT fires forward.  The Scope button brings up a viewfinder that displays either the view to the user’s right or the view to the user’s left.  The Reload button toggles the camera and secondary barrel between facing right or facing left.  RT while scoped fires either to the user’s left or the user’s right depending on which direction the camera and secondary barrel are facing.

6 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Completely ridiculous. Still standing tests don't take into account a LOT of correction that happens during movement, a lot of Halo's AA mechanics are designed to not take effect unless you or the enemy are moving your thumbsticks. Halo 3 uses projectile, and 5 steps backwards will show a massive difference between the two. Halo 3 doesn't have headshot multipliers. And it's also the AR for Christ sake lol. Also bullet magnetism is more problematic for single fire weapons (halo 5 utility weapon) than it is also/burst fire weapons (halo 3 utility). Also, bullet magnetism is only one tool in the AA toolkit and completely disregards friction, adhesion, arcing, RRR. It also disregards the trade latency Halo 5 uses and how it networks compared to older titles. Anyone with an ounce of time on both games could tell you that Halo 3s AA mechanics are a drop in the bucket compared to Halo 5s but he pretty frequently goes out of his way to spin narratives. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Completely ridiculous. Still standing tests don't take into account a LOT of correction that happens during movement, a lot of Halo's AA mechanics are designed to not take effect unless you or the enemy are moving your thumbsticks. Halo 3 uses projectile, and 5 steps backwards will show a massive difference between the two. Halo 3 doesn't have headshot multipliers. And it's also the AR for Christ sake lol. Also bullet magnetism is more problematic for single fire weapons (halo 5 utility weapon) than it is also/burst fire weapons (halo 3 utility). Also, bullet magnetism is only one tool in the AA toolkit and completely disregards friction, adhesion, arcing, RRR. It also disregards the trade latency Halo 5 uses and how it networks compared to older titles. Anyone with an ounce of time on both games could tell you that Halo 3s AA mechanics are a drop in the bucket compared to Halo 5s but he pretty frequently goes out of his way to spin narratives. 

sorry to bother you like this, but.

How can one compile everything in video footage for all the things you've mentioned, like I want to extensively compare the two games myself without spinning narratives.