Jump to content

FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Does anyone else think this is absolute dogshit? I can't be the only one who thinks dumping effects on top of each other makes for a worse experience. 

3:18 "I don't see the problem here.  Yeah the colors are somewhat different from the source but they're actually kind of nic-"

03:40 "Okay...depth of field isn't my favorite visual effect but I can see the appea-"

04:04 "Oh no, what are you doing...?"

05:02 "M-Motion Blur?!?"

05:10 "Oh god no those c- those color-" *Vomiting furiously*

06:50 "What even is this lighting, shit looks like a bad CGI cartoon from the early 2000's..."

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Ramirez77 said:

3:18 "I don't see the problem here.  Yeah the colors are somewhat different from the source but they're actually kind of nic-"

03:40 "Okay...depth of field isn't my favorite visual effect but I can see the appea-"

04:04 "Oh no, what are you doing...?"

05:02 "M-Motion Blur?!?"

05:10 "Oh god no those c- those color-" *Vomiting furiously*

06:50 "What even is this lighting, shit looks like a bad CGI cartoon from the early 2000's..."

My thoughts throughout the video basically. 

Share this post


Link to post

I can understand upping the saturation a bit, Reach is so damn dull (yeah immersion but it's just ugly to look at). The motion blur, film grain, visor effect and other nonsense can fuck right off though.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Does anyone else think this is absolute dogshit? I can't be the only one who thinks dumping effects on top of each other makes for a worse experience. 

https://youtu.be/JhJ72CD2E-M

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

I can understand ramping up the graphics for campaign.  The contrast improvements on that video make sense.  Reach is basically "50 Shades of Grey (and Brown)" which isn't even really gritty, its just blegh.  But if you are going to make "improvements" to the rest of the graphics, they should make sense and NOT get in the way of actually being able to see.  Lens flare in video games is silly.  It just reminds you that you're essentially looking through a camera, not someones eyes.  Motion blur needs to be used judiciously.  Its fine when used on individual objects for specific reasons.  But liberally applying it to entire scenes just makes it look muddy. It seems to me that the motion blur video game artists like to use comes more from the old technical limitations of 24 FPS video. It can be hard to focus on motion occasionally, but for the most part our eyes work better than that. These things can look good in games when used judiciously, but most game devs seem to go all Spinal Tap with their motion blue, lens flare, and misc. particle effects.

 

 A lot of times they will retain this shit when going from campaign to multiplayer too, which is really just a whole other level of annoying.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't they say the motion blur effect was going to be turned off? 

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Didn't they say the motion blur effect was going to be turned off? 

yes, this guy LNG added it back in

he pulls the excuse of "its a different type of motion blur."

All types of motion blur is wack. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

Does anyone else think this is absolute dogshit? I can't be the only one who thinks dumping effects on top of each other makes for a worse experience. 

Reshade can be awesome. Saying that, I haven't watched the whole video yet but taking notes while watching Rogue One has got to be the nerdiest thing I've ever heard.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Does anyone actually like motion blur? 

CryTek

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

CryTek

They’ve made some good games honestly, crisis was fun for what it’s worth 

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Arlong said:

They’ve made some good games honestly, crisis was fun for what it’s worth 

Eh, I think most of the appeal of Crysis was that it was a benchmark used to see the power of your computer, later becoming a meme. 
I don't think the actual games were bad by any means, just nothing to write home about. 

I've seen some good things about Hunt, but have yet to play it. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Arlong said:

They’ve made some good games honestly, crisis was fun for what it’s worth 

They've made 1 good game (Farcry) and 1 good tech test (Crysis) and that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Arlong said:

They’ve made some good games honestly, crisis was fun for what it’s worth 

They have done the exact opposite of this.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Botheredhat360 said:

yes, this guy LNG added it back in

he pulls the excuse of "its a different type of motion blur."

All types of motion blur is wack. 

Adding something back in that most of the community hated? What, is this guy @TheIcePrincess's alt eeeeyyy

 

 

  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

They have done the exact opposite of this.

I’ve heard good reviews on hunt and Crysis. When I looked up what games they’ve done those two came up.

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty good video on the topic.

I actually kind of like how it looks in DarkPlaces...but doesn't change that it's something *most* games do wrong.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Apoll0 said:

A lot of times they will retain this shit when going from campaign to multiplayer too, which is really just a whole other level of annoying.  

This is one of the worst things about modern FPS games. I get it, they want to make a game that all the reviewers who still give a GRAPHICS score can cream themselves over and in a campaign setting I don't really care about lens flare, glaring sunlight etc. it can actually add to the immersion. 

But in a competitive MP game? Let us disable that shit, no question. Battlefield is notorious for abusing the sun glare, to the point where people asked for a sunglasses attachment. In H5 there are numerous maps where one team is at an inherent disadvantage because half their screen is constantly covered in glaring sunlight. Especially cringe when one considers the game takes place 500 years in the future and a so called "super soldier" doesn't have sun protection built into his visor? Shit's just stupid. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

You little fuck, lmao.

Get rekt cunt

Share this post


Link to post

Everyone: Damn, I didn't get into the flight, at least I can watch some great 4k Reach footage without the shitty effects it had on the 360!

LNG: 

Image result for Let me introduce myself

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Simms (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Pretty good video on the topic.

I actually kind of like how it looks in DarkPlaces...but doesn't change that it's something *most* games do wrong.

But then you have to play Darkplaces.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Sitri said:

But then you have to play Darkplaces.

You make it sound like a bad thing.  :thinking:

Share this post


Link to post

One great thing about player graphics options is that you can present the game differently for the audience. In some Quake tournaments for duel grand finals, players used they custom settings with bright skins and effects turned down while the spectator view had all effects on, weapon sway, and original character skins. The effects are kind of cool when you’re not trying to play the game.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Gobias said:

One great thing about player graphics options is that you can present the game differently for the audience. In some Quake tournaments for duel grand finals, players used they custom settings with bright skins and effects turned down while the spectator view had all effects on, weapon sway, and original character skins. The effects are kind of cool when you’re not trying to play the game.

I recently thought about this. With Halo coming to PC and theater not sucking ass in MCC and hopefully Infinite, we can play on patato settings and save all the clips, then up the graphics to ULTRA and record gameplay for montages and youtube commentaries. Such a cool feature.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.