FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

59 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Seems like its mostly streamers and pro's getting the invites. Simms, Goldenboy, and a few others I saw on twitter getting into it.

That’s actually a good thing, a streamer and a YouTuber can show off shit better and provide more quality feed back. They can get people interested.

VIP should just be used as an action sack game type. There was this fun custom game in h3 called protect Obama. 

We need a Zero bloom/TU option for Campaign and firefight. 

What is the consensus on competitive headhunter?  Touching skulls dropped by a teammate makes them disappear so you can deny the enemy those points but not actually score them for yourself?  What about hill rotations?  Neutral, red, blue, repeat?

32 minutes ago, Boyo said:

What is the consensus on competitive headhunter?  Touching skulls dropped by a teammate makes them disappear so you can deny the enemy those points but not actually score them for yourself?  What about hill rotations?  Neutral, red, blue, repeat?

Yeah the biggest thing would be not being able to score from your teammate's skulls. Denying them by touching them is a good idea. You'd have to color-code the skulls though.  As with anything, sequential hill rotation is a must. I'd use generic spawn-anywhere spawning instead of base spawning.

I also hate when symmetrical maps use symmetrical hills, but the player-spawn locations are dynamic. That's just a waste of a hill. You don't need symmetry after the first hill when you can spawn anywhere. For example, Nexus KotH: One of those two side hills at red or blue should be somewhere different like Closet or Flag or Basement, that way we don't have to play the same hill 6 times a game.

"Postums: With Halo: Combat Evolved coming after Halo: Reach, a lot of people have been asking about our planned improvements to HCE in order to bring it more in parity to the original Xbox version. Essentially, what we are planning to rework to be more aligned with legacy than the original Gearbox port to PC that is used in MCC.

Michael Fahrny: We’re not targeting it for the launch on PC, but we are continuing to investigate what we can do to bring CE back to parity of the original Xbox version.

But, what I can say, is we have dug up some original Xbox devkits that we are looking into utilizing.

*pics of og xbox dev kits*

Umm, also we do, well, I don’t want to publish this right now but, but we also have <ONI REDACTED> working on <ONI REDACTED> so when we’re ready to announce that, we will, but I don’t want to put that in this blog." - https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-june-2019?fbclid=IwAR3x9WLoRtf_zF0iya-ihv6-Mmc29db3xO8lBDK5NGJkWSdqZKqzfPVkNfk

I really hope this means they are finally porting the og versions of Halo CE and Halo 2. I can't think of any other valid reason why they would need og xbox dev kits bc mcc currently uses the terribad pc ports of the games.

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

I really hope this means they are finally porting the og versions of Halo CE and Halo 2. I can't think of any other valid reason why they would need og xbox dev kits bc mcc currently uses the terribad pc ports of the games.

Could be Custom Edition maps compatibility, they did say that they were looking at it a while ago and we havent heard much since.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Could be Custom Edition maps compatibility, they did say that they were looking at it a while ago and we havent heard much since.

custom edition is on pc tho, it has nothing to do with the og xbox version bc its still the gearbox pc port.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, Nokt said:

Halo 2

• Fixed an issue which made kill trading significantly more common than in legacy.
  • Adjusted gamma values to better align with legacy.

Here's the full story on that...

So, the H2 changes came about rather interestingly. I was lurking in a H1 specific Discord, while they somehow got off topic on H2 and kill trading. Anyway, it caused a neuron to fire in my head. I have a sort of photographic memory (although I won't claim it to be like anything Hollywood tries to sell), which comes in real handy for dealing with the amount of code that lives in MCC. That neuron lit up the memory of code I had seen in H2 which was foreign to the legacy game (I think I had seen it during my time implementing skulls in MP). The code was for handling the case where, after a very brief window of a player dying in MP (since it's asynchronous), responding to their weapon trigger pull event. Even though they have died already in the view of the host, the host would simulate firing their now dropped weapon. Revisiting the H2 code (which was added back in 2014 or 2015), it noted that it was back ported from H4, although it really dates back to Reach.

I had a hunch this was the cause of the kill trading players were not happy with in H2. So, I implemented a chicken switch to turn off the behavior and asked our QA team to verify a one-off build I made to see if they could still reproduce kill trading. I didn't immediately realize it at the time, but I also still had some changes for tweaking the gamma settings on Xbox in my local code (meant to align it more with the legacy visuals). QA came back with good news, that they were not able to reproduce kill trading with my changes. "Also, what's with lighting changes?". Whoops. Well, the gamma adjustments were well received in the few cases they had tested, so the QA team set off on a task to scrub its impact across the game to ensure it wasn't causing issues in scenes in both SDR and HDR. After that report and further review by others, we decided to include it.

So the kill trading problem which has existed since launch, and was the result of code dating back to Reach, finally only got fixed because the one guy they have working on H1/H2 (fixing problems so deep that tools from other companies and OG dev kits have to be tracked down) just happened to overhear a Discord conversation about it. And H2's gamma got improved because he left test code in by accident.

And we're supposed to have any remote fragment of hope?

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, FarSight XR~20 said:

So the kill trading problem which has existed since launch, and was the result of code dating back to Reach, finally only got fixed because the one guy they have working on H1/H2 (fixing problems so deep that tools from other companies and OG dev kits have to be tracked down) just happened to overhear a Discord conversation about it. And H2's gamma got improved because he left test code in by accident.

You can still trade in CE, happens to me in about 40% of my pistol fights.

Yeah why didn't they adjust the dumbass trading windows on ALL games? Trading is always stupid, not just in H2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 1

5 hours ago, FarSight XR~20 said:

Now we just need them to accidentally port the og xbox versions of Halo CE and Halo 2 with those og xbox dev kits they have now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

I’ve never understood this hate for kill trading. It just means you shot each other at the same time. In before someone’s all like “that’s impossible” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

16 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I’ve never understood this hate for kill trading. It just means you shot each other at the same time. In before someone’s all like “that’s impossible” 

A competition between two players should end with a winner and a loser.  “Everybody wins” is not satisfying.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

20 minutes ago, Arlong said:

There's a damn good reason actually competitive games like CSGO don't allow kill trades. It's literally giving free kills to players with shit reaction.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

47 minutes ago, Basu said:

There's a damn good reason actually competitive games like CSGO don't allow kill trades. It's literally giving free kills to players with shit reaction.

How? You both shot each other equally at the same time? That’s not a result of bad reactions. 

51 minutes ago, Boyo said:

A competition between two players should end with a winner and a loser.  “Everybody wins” is not satisfying.

It’s also not satisfying having my last shot not count. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Arlong said:

How? You both shot each other equally at the same time? That’s not a result of bad reactions. 

It’s also not satisfying having my last shot not count. 

It's not the same time. It's like half a second later but they give out the kill anways because they have such little faith in their own netcode (for good reason lul) that they just use massive trading windows to make things "feel fair".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Kill trading can, and should, happen. But very rarely. The odds of it happening once in a game might not be bad, but for it to consistently happen just doesn't seem reasonable. 

Most of the time, somebody definitely hit their button before the opponent, even if it's by a fraction of a second. Trades do not feel rewarding

6 hours ago, Arlong said:

You ever played Halo on the internet from 2004 to 2013 by any chance?

If not, I can see where you're coming from.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, aa_Pregnant_Nun said:

I can't think of any other valid reason why they would need og xbox dev kits

Because they legit don't know how the game is supposed to play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Squatting Bear said:

You ever played Halo on the internet from 2004 to 2013 by any chance?

If not, I can see where you're coming from.

I have thank you 

23 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Because they legit don't know how the game is supposed to play.

Most of us don’t. 

Can all the other games get the H3 treatment and have their Hardcore maps and modes become built-in?

• Upvote (+1) 1