CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

The main concern I have with button combos is how they will translate to PC, I can see macros for these button combos being a major problem, imagine being in a match where someone is hitting quad-shots 100% of the time, I would not be surprised in the slightest if this is a big issue in H2 on MCC PC when it finally arrives, thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

You might be thinking of Kurtiz. 

Also I find it funny how button combos work almost flawlessly in CE and H2 but ever since ~07 they have been considered taboo, easy to perform, having no drawback, etc, etc.  Just seems so silly to me if you've ever watched and paid attention to high level play of those two games.

They’re Taboo because they’re exploits. Many gamers despise exploits regardless if they take skill or not. I like them personally when they take skill, but many gamers do not. Button combos be perfectly acceptable if the Deva purposely implemented them.

1 hour ago, HeX Reapers said:

hahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

They’re Taboo because they’re exploits. Many gamers despise exploits regardless if they take skill or not.

And many gamers have a scrub mentality, are content to be bad forever, and choose not to play the actual game they were given. They'd rather play the made up game they wish they were given.

• Fire (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, Xandrith said:

hahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Image result for cockroach gif

this is actually me looking down at you RIGHT NOW

25 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

And many gamers have a scrub mentality, are content to be bad forever, and choose not play the actual game they were given. They'd rather play the made up game they wish they were given.

Hey I’m not disagreeing with ya.

26 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

And many gamers have a scrub mentality, are content to be bad forever, and choose not play the actual game they were given. They'd rather play the made up game they wish they were given.

I will disagree that people are content to be bad forever. I don't think anyone has ever done something they enjoy and gone "I'm ok being this crap forever at this."

17 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

I will disagree that people are content to be bad forever. I don't think anyone has ever done something they enjoy and gone "I'm ok being this crap forever at this."

Sure, people don't think that outright. But people do grind games, hit a spot of legitimate competition where they begin to falter and fail, and before improving, scoot out of competitive/ranked to social (for the sake of the conversation), and are content with grinding it out for the rest of their gaming days. Because it's easier, and results in an "enjoyable" gaming experience, even if it's pubstomping. Effectively being content with being bad or not improving. Because improving is too much effort, and not enjoyable in the short term.

12 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

So who got banned?

You. Checkmate.

13 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Sure, people don't think that outright. But people do grind games, hit a spot of legitimate competition where they begin to falter and fail, and before improving, scoot out of competitive/ranked to social (for the sake of the conversation), and are content with grinding it out for the rest of their gaming days. Because it's easier, and results in an "enjoyable" gaming experience, even if it's pubstomping. Effectively being content with being bad or not improving. Because improving is too much effort, and not enjoyable in the short term.

The point I mean is that they grind because they enjoy the game yes, but also because they want to improve or at least have the perception that they are improving. I believe (without data to back it up so this is pure belief) that this is why games like Destiny/Borderlands/The Division even have a playerbase. Acquiring higher tier stuff via time-grind has the perception of getting better without the reality changing.

But the desire to achieve a higher perception of skill is still there.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

Okay but tbh is that really something you can criticize someone for? Gaming is still primarily a form of entertainment. It's for fun. If someone doesn't enjoy the base game can you really fault them for playing what they prefer? Over sacrificing their enjoyment just to play the game the way someone else thinks is best? A great example would be the customs so many love like Duck Hunt or Jenga. Is it fair to criticize these people because they don't agree with your philosophy on how games should be played?

And maybe you are only speaking on matchmaking. In which case I would still argue the same point. What's the "real" way to play? Warzone? Slayer? Fiesta? And if I don't play every mode according to the meta am I now somehow worse than someone who does? If I play warzone and only use my loadout weapons because that's what I find fun can you really criticze me? Is that really a bad thing? If it's what I enjoy more? And what about the fact that warzone and HCS have different metas? Technically speaking using only loadouts weapons actually helps my arena gameplay moreso than the opposite. So which is more important?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I don't mind button combos being in the game, but I don't like them being advertised with a flashing weapon or anything like that. This isn't a fighting game. Keep them "unofficial".

2 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

would be awesome feedback if it heated the barrel red on a successful double shot 

I like this because it keeps the “invisibility” of the button combo system while still giving players feedback.  I think Gears’ active reload system is genius in many ways but it’s too “in your face” for Halo.  I think that’s why the combos are so satisfying.  There is no meter telling you when to hit a button.

7 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'd say killtime related combos definitely are, and are not gucci to have. Stuff like backpack reloading and the like are "finer", though. As they get rid of redundant animations.

Fast reloading is somewhat passable but the alternative is to just make reloading relatively quick and possibly have better mag sizes on guns. It's better for everyone at the end of the day rather than a mandatory/useful trick for the top players or people who bother to care. 

2 hours ago, Shekkles said:

You. Checkmate.

I don't feel so good...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1
  • Toxic (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I don't feel so good...

No please not my feels.

• Toxic (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shekkles said:

There are still people to this day that argue for AR starts. These people are content to be bad forever.

2 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

There are still people to this day that argue for AR starts. These people are content to be bad forever.

want to agree with you on that one because I hate AR starts lol.

However, I feel that some people want to level the playing field down to their level so they can "prove they're good" in a "fair game". I have literally encountered this exact attitude. We had a Halo 3 2v2 tournament at TAFE (College for you USAnians) and I set it to MLG rules. This guy was absolutely furious when he lost the first match because the "game wasn't fair" and my team mate and I "cheated because the settings are wrong" and that "The BR is a pickup and makes the game unfair".

He genuinely thought being able to shoot at people from medium range off spawn was unfair. To that end, I agreed to a 2v2 AR starts. You can imagine what happened: the game snowballed because my mate and I got BR's early on and just destroy poor mate AR fan. Side note: He ran for the shotgun over the rocket launder/OS/Sniper on High Ground every game.

Then he said all BRs should be removed.

He genuinely thought that if the game was dumbed down to his level, he would succeed. I can't really argue with that either. If it was AR's only it'd be a hell of a lot more "even". I think a lot of people don't like getting dumped on and instead of self reflection on how they can improve, they want the game dumbed down instead. This still means they want to get better, just by removing other peoples power instead of increasing their own.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I remember when h4 gameplay got shown at e3 for the first time and getting super hyped at the look and sound of the AR. I always enjoyed using it in halo games even though it's for babies.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I remember when h4 gameplay got shown at e3 for the first time and getting super hyped at the look and sound of the AR. I always enjoyed using it in halo games even though it's for babies.

My brother and I used to play through the entire Halo CE campaign on Legendary AR's (and vehicles/grenades/melee) only because we loved the sound so much.

• Upvote (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

My brother and I used to play through the entire Halo CE campaign on Legendary AR's (and vehicles/grenades/melee) only because we loved the sound so much.

I'm assuming you have yet to complete it?

3 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Okay but tbh is that really something you can criticize someone for? Gaming is still primarily a form of entertainment. It's for fun. If someone doesn't enjoy the base game can you really fault them for playing what they prefer? Over sacrificing their enjoyment just to play the game the way someone else thinks is best? A great example would be the customs so many love like Duck Hunt or Jenga. Is it fair to criticize these people because they don't agree with your philosophy on how games should be played?

And maybe you are only speaking on matchmaking. In which case I would still argue the same point. What's the "real" way to play? Warzone? Slayer? Fiesta? And if I don't play every mode according to the meta am I now somehow worse than someone who does? If I play warzone and only use my loadout weapons because that's what I find fun can you really criticze me? Is that really a bad thing? If it's what I enjoy more? And what about the fact that warzone and HCS have different metas? Technically speaking using only loadouts weapons actually helps my arena gameplay moreso than the opposite. So which is more important?

I can agree with this. I think people find a skill level they find most fun, and then they don't care to move beyond that.

I have friends whose favorite way to play Halo is blasting ARs and chucking nades any random direction. They know that pulling out their pistol will make them better, they know that I'm happy to explain spawns, but the part they enjoy about Halo is the audio/visual feedback and the crazy stories of eight people storming into a small room and hoping for the best.

To apply it to myself. I like playing swat but I find the campy nature of swat is boring. I can get ranked at a level where people will always push but have decent aim, and I'm fine with never moving past that level. It means I'm bad, but it means the I can enjoy the cutthroat swat gameplay without the camping, and I'm fine with that.

We all know we're bad, but the next stage of improving means the game no longer has the part that appeals to us most.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I'm assuming you have yet to complete it?

Oh no we've completed it like three times lol.

Edit: My brother just said he only remembers the full completion once but three attempts.

5 hours ago, Mow said:

The main concern I have with button combos is how they will translate to PC, I can see macros for these button combos being a major problem, imagine being in a match where someone is hitting quad-shots 100% of the time, I would not be surprised in the slightest if this is a big issue in H2 on MCC PC when it finally arrives, thoughts?

Guaranteed to happen. Already happened often on H2V before it was mostly console players pre MCC. No really good solutions. You could ban for it if you went to great lengths to detect the macros and all of the new ways people invent to implement them but it'll just be an arms race and I honestly don't believe the MCC team/whoever maintains the PC version has the time of day to fight people truly determined to abuse it. Best case scenario is they do some ground work to prevent it and almost nobody cares enough to circumvent their detection due to the general obscurity of MCC H2 in 2019

• Like (+1) 4