CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

46 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Are you actually concerned about making menus more clunky.

I'm not going to address the redundancy point again because I feel like I've answered that a dozen times already and it's getting...redundant  repetitive. Regardless -  if you can toggle it off then it's of no concern to you. Play on mute w/o vibration to your heart's content.

The uncrouch vibration was a continuation of the idea of providing better feedback for spring jumping since the mechanic is all but a mystery to nearly the entire Halo population.  It's not feedback to tell you that you did something, it's feedback to tell you when you should do something. As in, you learn to hit jump when it vibrates to perfect the spring jump timing. Not, I'm uncrouching therefore the feedback is there to tell me what I already did.

I mean, yeah, I'd want my menu to not be a clunky mess. Given I have to navigate it. Daily. 

Towards spring jumping, I could get the argument if it was about timing the spring jump. But you can literally just press and hold the buttons in sequence to do it, with the timing of releasing being pseudo-"dynamic" so to speak. It's dependent on the player. It again, is another thing I learned completely without vibration. In two different games. And I took my sweet ass time doing it in a custom just getting used to the buttons. You literally do not need vibration for it. Let alone the fact that there are TONS of situations where you may crouch outside of it. Like crouch strafing, crouch jumping, simply crouching in a corner,  the like. So you're gonna be getting this sick vibration, potentially in the middle of combat when you only want to use it for spring jumping. Not really a good trade off.

It's like your example with Gears of War. I've played a lot of Gears. The last thing I've ever thought about critiquing would be the active reload, lmao. Like, I'd agree with the idea of putting it in the center reticle, or below it. But you do not need a vibration to watch the active reload marker pass over that sweet spot, and it isn't hard to learn it without. And like other things, it has audio and visual cues to let you know if you'd done it or failed it, and like YYing, is a consistent factor you can practice without it. EVERYTHING you need is already there for you. 

To me it's hard to see the angle of accessibility, especially with the PC platform being a factor. Because, the most "prevalent" example is for a mechanic that is already super niche and not in high use, even in high level play. Vibration won't suddenly push the mechanic into the spotlight when its actual tangible use now is nill, and it's used in vibration's absence just fine. If you don't want it to be a mystery to people, make a Youtube video on it, just teaching people how to do it, easy solution. 

And the rest of that list is again, redundantly conveyed to you. To the point where all it requires is you paying attention. Which is my issue. Why not just design a game that can properly convey itself to the player without requiring some gimmicky external factor to it, lol. Which, as I've said in the past, is literally done in these games that never had to, or don't rely on this to convey extra information. 

It's a waste of time and an improper allocation of resources to me.

3 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

More options doesn't make a menu more clunky, bad menu design makes a menu more clunky.

Exactly what I was thinking while reading through. 

If you can't learn to spring jump now with libraries of YouTube videos then I don't know what to tell you. At some point  we just have to let oblivious people stay oblivious. There are COUNTLESS mechanics in games not portrayed in 55 different ways that you just have to learn. And look into. That's part of the skill in a game. Timing a spring jump is a skill. You need to learn it. Noobifying it defeats the purpose. If players like Shotzzy can do it 90% of the time there is no excuse. Practice it or don't use it. 

24 minutes ago, My Namez BEAST said:

If you can't learn to spring jump now with libraries of YouTube videos then I don't know what to tell you. At some point  we just have to let oblivious people stay oblivious. There are COUNTLESS mechanics in games not portrayed in 55 different ways that you just have to learn. And look into. That's part of the skill in a game. Timing a spring jump is a skill. You need to learn it. Noobifying it defeats the purpose. If players like Shotzzy can do it 90% of the time there is no excuse. Practice it or don't use it.

I agree to an extent with this, but I can also see where Hard Way is coming with this.

Vibration timing for a double shot or rrbxr would be absurd, it would take the whole merit of actually learning the timing out of it. On the other hand, like with Apex, you aren't really maximizing someones skill by alerting them that their slide potential is maxed out. Like having a vibration for thrust being off cooldown, you aren't going to take a C-tier player and make them a B-tier player out of this one thing. Its just another form of feedback besides audio/visual that can be useful.

The past 100 or so pages of this thread just need to be thrown in the trash.  God damn...

Why the fuck are we arguing about **vibration** of all things?  It's a non-issue, having an option to disable it doesn't clutter the menu in any meaningful way either.  Even if it did you could always just hide minute options like that under an "advanced options" tab anyways.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Even if it did you could always just hide minute options like that under an "advanced options" tab anyways.

An option in your options to hide your options. GG.

It's weird that I agree with both Multilockon and Ice Princess at the same time.

I agree with Multiboi that exploring new ways for player feedback, particularly in areas that have been only glossed over in the past is a great idea and can be explored, yet I agree with Icylass that a host of new menu toggles isn't feasible in the UI for the general playerbase.

10 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Halo's problem since forever is that it doesn't contextualize, in game mind you, psuedo mechanics like crouch jumping or spring jumping despite their existence in game. No one should need a third party source to learn that they exist at all.

A tutorial mode that teaches these concepts would make them  more prevalent in moment to moment gameplay across all skill levels. It wouldn't hurt anyone, and would improve the average players experience. 

And so what if these concepts are "noobified", I don't bitch about a players ability to spam crouch in a strafing fight in Halo 5, compared to the specific timing required from past games to do so, for example. We both get a better, more varied strafe battle out of it.