CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

8 minutes ago, LI Mr X IL said:

Definitely better at it than I would be if the game didn’t aim for me.

We're talking about console FPS games. Literally every single one that people enjoy "aims for you." CE has plenty of reticle friction and TONS of bullet magnetism. But I'm sure, being the expert that you are, you know that. And you're not just repeating exactly the same axioms that you've heard from a bunch of "halo veterans" as if they constitute real arguments unto themselves.

You have no argument, so you repeat brain dead gibberish like that while unintentionally acknowledging that Halo 5's skill ceiling is significant, which is why you would get dominated in the game by a decent player. Why you feel that you are qualified to discuss how much it does or does not "aim for you" when you suck at the game is beyond me. Never mind the arbitrary comparison to CE, a game that's shooting skill gap basically amounts "even the top 1 of 32 total players GOAT literal freak god gamer regularly mag dumps to get 1 kill, so it must be HARD."

• Upvote (+1) 1

1 minute ago, My Namez BEAST said:

"Halo 5 literally aims for you but I also can't aim in that game" statement of the fucking year lmaooo 

LOL, yeah because I can’t possibly objectively look at two games and tell one is easy compared to the other even though I’m relatively bad at both. I’m average at OW. I’m average at halo. I can still tell there is a HUGE difference between getting headshots with McCree and getting headshots with the H5 magnum. One is RELATIVELY much easier than the other even if I’m bad at both. I don’t care if you’re fuckin Champ numero uno in H5 it’s still easy as hell to aim in compared to most games and you being unable to admit that is pure self serving bias.

• Upvote (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Riddler said:

no1 cares about h4/h5 and you're the one contesting it. I don't have to prove the sky looks blue, you need to present evidence that the sky is red or whatever dumb claim you have

also water is not wet. 

That’s actually not true you don’t have to prove me wrong. The fact is the bullet mag in reach isn’t high. Heck’s if you shoot at someone outside RR you won’t magically hit the head like you would in h4 or 5. 

10 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

@MultiLockOn I know you don’t like the fact vibration is bad, it just is man. People hate it(majority) in competitive scenes cod,halo, gears you probably can find maybe one pro who uses vibration but the rest don’t. Vibration just can’t work. Even the elite controller where you can customize the level of vibration can’t be done properly. It’s just something most don’t like. Most of us can see, and most of us aren’t deaf, so we know when we’re being shot, reloading guns etc. you find me a game where vibration feels good, where the majority that played the game used vibration.

What people think about vibration is irrelevant to me, I downvoted your past posts because like this current one I'm responding to - they reek of ignorance if I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. You're making insanely bold claims based on past precedent that are pretty easily disregarded with even the smallest amount of imagination.

Vibration is nothing but an additional sense being added to your roster.  Otherwise you're relying on sight, and sound.  Obviously smell and taste are basically guaranteed to never play a role in gaming but touch absolutely can.  I don't care what people currently think about vibration because it's historically been done in a pretty poor way. Why wouldn't you welcome any additional sensory input into the realm of possibility? Off the top of my head (quite literally 10 seconds of thought) the spring jump in Halo is something that is horribly misunderstood and underutilized because there is literally no additional information beyond word of mouth as to how it functions, let alone exists.  You could probably tie a single rumble to the moment the un-crouch frame passes when you need to press jump so you can begin to learn muscle memory as to when to hit jump for the correct spring jump. Halo 5 already ties a single rumble to the moment the weapon refills the magazine refills the reload animation so you know when to YY, that's a huge step in the right direction.  A rumble tied to the exact moment when you have achieved max sprint velocity for slide would be helpful.  Or when ground-pound is done queuing in the air so you can release it for an early activation.  Military shooters could probably do pulses in line with an increasing heartbeat when you're moments from dying.  Gears of war has always had issues with the active reload...

main-qimg-43dbc4939e060307ac31095da23543

... in that the image you need to stare at to perfect the active-reload is at the top right corner of your screen.  While this obviously should probably relocated to the reticle in the center, a rumble when the hash passes the activation mark would go a long way for teaching players when exactly they need to his the reload button again for the active. There's probably a hundred more examples I could come up with if I sat here but I rest my case.

Yes you can rely on sight and sound for these things but by that same reasoning you and iceprincess both presented, I could easily just cut out sound.  Why introduce sound to distract me when I have eyes? I can see can't I? In the same way you're disregarding vibration as a viable sensory input I could just as easily disregard audio, because in a parallel universe there's about a hundred games that have never implemented audio correctly and it's just as expendable and superfluous as you think vibration is now.  I recently interviewed someone for the position of UI/UX artist at the studio I'm at and one of the questions I've asked is, describe a game you think has done UI remarkably well. His answer, was Halo.  In which he said when Bungie made Halo CE they made the health state not just tied to visual, but audio cues.  In that without ever glancing at the corner of the screen to see your health bar flashing red you know  because the audio state implies it with the beep-beep-beep that is infinitely more recognizable. Also every action in Halo is met with a unique sound if the button is pressed but the action isn't possible - reloading with ammo, shooting without reserves is met with a soft click... his only suggestion was to add an additional sound when throwing grenades on an empty reserved is toggled because there's no current feedback for that.  Is it possible to always recognize what your health state is at without audio? Absolutely.  Is it infinitely improved with additional sensory input? Absolutely, and that applies to vibration the same way.  I'm willing to bet if you took a wide study on console-players for apex vs. pc players, the former would have a better understanding of when to slide for maximum momentum vs the latter strictly because the vibration is the single and only que to tell you that you've hit the cap.

The fact that historically vibration has been tied to *when shooting, rumble * is of no consequence to me because I can easily see the potential something like vibration has. There's a huge difference between something being fundamental wrong (sprint) and something never have been utilized in the correct way (vibration), and the latter just takes the smallest bit of imagination instead of just clearly brushing it off the table.  You making the claims of " I know you don’t like the fact vibration is bad, it just is man." falls in the latter and reeks of ignorance.  The worst possible case scenario in this is that, you disable vibration.  But when done right that would happen just as often as people decide to play on mute because, audio is just distracting.  They have eyes right? Why do you need sound?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

What people think about vibration is irrelevant to me, I downvoted your past posts because like this current one I'm responding to - they reek of ignorance if I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. You're making insanely bold claims based on past precedent that are pretty easily disregarded with even the smallest amount of imagination.

Vibration is nothing but an additional sense being added to your roster.  Otherwise you're relying on sight, and sound.  Obviously smell and taste are basically guaranteed to never play a role in gaming but touch absolutely can.  I don't care what people currently think about vibration because it's historically been done in a pretty poor way. Why wouldn't you welcome any additional sensory input into the realm of possibility? Off the top of my head (quite literally 10 seconds of thought) the spring jump in Halo is something that is horribly misunderstood and underutilized because there is literally no additional information beyond word of mouth as to how it functions, let alone exists.  You could probably tie a single rumble to the moment the un-crouch frame passes when you need to press jump so you can begin to learn muscle memory as to when to hit jump for the correct spring jump. Halo 5 already ties a single rumble to the moment the weapon refills the magazine refills the reload animation so you know when to YY, that's a huge step in the right direction.  A rumble tied to the exact moment when you have achieved max sprint velocity for slide would be helpful.  Or when ground-pound is done queuing in the air so you can release it for an early activation.  Military shooters could probably do pulses in line with an increasing heartbeat when you're moments from dying.  Gears of war has always had issues with the active reload...

... in that the image you need to stare at to perfect the active-reload is at the top right corner of your screen.  While this obviously should probably relocated to the reticle in the center, a rumble when the hash passes the activation mark would go a long way for teaching players when exactly they need to his the reload button again for the active. There's probably a hundred more examples I could come up with if I sat here but I rest my case.

Yes you can rely on sight and sound for these things but by that same reasoning you and iceprincess both presented, I could easily just cut out sound.  Why introduce sound to distract me when I have eyes? I can see can't I? In the same way you're disregarding vibration as a viable sensory input I could just as easily disregard audio, because in a parallel universe there's about a hundred games that have never implemented audio correctly and it's just as expendable and superfluous as you think vibration is now.  I recently interviewed someone for the position of UI/UX artist at the studio I'm at and one of the questions I've asked is, describe a game you think has done UI remarkably well. His answer, was Halo.  In which he said when Bungie made Halo CE they made the health state not just tied to visual, but audio cues.  In that without ever glancing at the corner of the screen to see your health bar flashing red you know  because the audio state implies it with the beep-beep-beep that is infinitely more recognizable. Also every action in Halo is met with a unique sound if the button is pressed but the action isn't possible - reloading with ammo, shooting without reserves is met with a soft click... his only suggestion was to add an additional sound when throwing grenades on an empty reserved is toggled because there's no current feedback for that.  Is it possible to always recognize what your health state is at without audio? Absolutely.  Is it infinitely improved with additional sensory input? Absolutely, and that applies to vibration the same way.  I'm willing to bet if you took a wide study on console-players for apex vs. pc players, the former would have a better understanding of when to slide for maximum momentum vs the latter strictly because the vibration is the single and only que to tell you that you've hit the cap.

The fact that historically vibration has been tied to *when shooting, rumble * is of no consequence to me because I can easily see the potential something like vibration has. There's a huge difference between something being fundamental wrong (sprint) and something never have been utilized in the correct way (vibration), and the latter just takes the smallest bit of imagination instead of just clearly brushing it off the table.  You making the claims of " I know you don’t like the fact vibration is bad, it just is man." falls in the latter and reeks of ignorance.  The worst possible case scenario in this is that, you disable vibration.  But when done right that would happen just as often as people decide to play on mute because, audio is just distracting.  They have eyes right? Why do you need sound?

The fact is you need sight and sound to be effective properly(sorry to my deaf homies) , touch in a video game isn’t proper information. This random occurrences of vibration to reload, max sprint speed, etc etc do sound somewhat nice but still pointless for the average person who can realize these have occurred.

I’ve had little experience with gears so I won’t comment on it, also your picture didn’t come up for me, probably because I’m on mobile. 

When it comes to our 5 senses, only two are really important or effective properly in video games, and halo is no exception. The first is sight, this is a given because I highly doubt a blind person could play a shooter properly. Sound, this is so we can hear our surroundings movement, gun sounds, etc and music which is more of a luxury and technically isn’t needed to play games but is most recommended. Touch, this is applied for vibration but it’s more of an annoyance if anything because of its way of implementation, and the way you desire sounds like random poke instances. Now the other two taste and smell have absolutely nothing to do with gaming and never will so no point(unless SAO becomes a thing).

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

This random occurrences of vibration to reload

It's not random.

do sound somewhat nice but still pointless for the average person who can realize these have occurred.

I could play on mute as well and just watch my health bar go down. Does that make audio redundant. Or is it just additional information.

The fact is you need sight and sound to be effective properly(sorry to my deaf homies) , touch in a video game isn’t proper information. This random occurrences of vibration to reload, max sprint speed, etc etc do sound somewhat nice but still pointless for the average person who can realize these have occurred.

I’ve had little experience with gears so I won’t comment on it, also your picture didn’t come up for me, probably because I’m on mobile. 

When it comes to our 5 senses, only two are really important or effective properly in video games, and halo is no exception. The first is sight, this is a given because I highly doubt a blind person could play a shooter properly. Sound, this is so we can hear our surroundings movement, gun sounds, etc and music which is more of a luxury and technically isn’t needed to play games but is most recommended. Touch, this is applied for vibration but it’s more of an annoyance if anything because of its way of implementation, and the way you desire sounds like random poke instances. Now the other two taste and smell have absolutely nothing to do with gaming and never will so no point(unless SAO becomes a thing).

Your entire post basically ignores everything I said and opts to regurgitate your same reasoning without addressing anything.  I'm actually on the verge of just setting you to ignore. My response to this is literally my prior post, the one you just responded to without reading, clearly.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Toxic (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

It's not random.

I could play on mute as well and just watch my health bar go down. Does that make audio redundant. Or is it just additional information.

Your entire post basically ignores everything I said and opts to regurgitate your same reasoning without addressing anything.  I'm actually on the verge of just setting you to ignore. My response to this is literally my prior post, the one you just responded to without reading, clearly.

I read the important chunks, but not the entire thing, mostly because you typed up a fucking essay, next time summarize what you want to say.  this is a discussion forum,  It’s not needed to have long ass essay style responses. Your post is mentioning actions regarding sight, sound and touch, and you basically mentioned how touch was done improperly? Am I wrong?  You also came to this dumbass of a conclusion that sound is distracting and unnecessary when that isn’t even close to what I said. Vibration is a physical annoyance, that impacts your physical body. Vibration is literally you shaking and this shake without the proper muscle memory can cause you to mess up in your game thus why people like me disable it. Sound also is easily picked up and doesn’t require the time and patience to adjust. Only way sound is messing you up if you play so high a volume that it hurts or causes you to go deaf, but most human beings are intelligent enough to not do this.

• Downvote (-1) 9

vibration has been implemented in every game for the past twenty something years(don’t quote me) and has not once been a feature people say “I loved how vibration was done in this game”. Denying history is a fools move because it makes you think this will magically work in the present(in some cases this has happened but usually because of greater tech or new resources suchs as plants or something of the sort). Vibration is such a feature, you’ve come up a hypothesis on how vibration could possibly work, without knowing if it can. To test this you’d have to see how many people keep this form of vibration on and those who keep it off, and in order for this test to be successful it’d have to have a score of at least 70%. 

6 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Anyone ever think of consistency is a bad thing? At least regarding shots? I look at ice and beasts reasons for hits can because it makes ranged fights consistent. But is this kind of consistency a good thing? Is it actually needed? Projectile makes ranged fights a guessing game, but I look at reach (TU & v7) and it’s clear hitscan didn’t help in ranged fights all the time. The bullet mag clearly wasn’t that high in reach but still retained amazing hit reg.

Literally fucking No

• Upvote (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Anyone ever think of consistency is a bad thing? At least regarding shots? I look at ice and beasts reasons for hits can because it makes ranged fights consistent. But is this kind of consistency a good thing? Is it actually needed? Projectile makes ranged fights a guessing game, but I look at reach (TU & v7) and it’s clear hitscan didn’t help in ranged fights all the time. The bullet mag clearly wasn’t that high in reach but still retained amazing hit reg.

Play FortNite if you have an infatuated fascination with dice roll bullets that literally fly sideways. Its video game world. Theres no attributal wind or anything that should effect my trajectory other than the placement of my reticle. I like straight physical bullets that have travel time but actually go to the spot theyre supposed to. Travel time and reticle position and player position are good enough variables of shit. Not guessing game dogshit. Like I Literally find Zero challenge or euphoria or intrigue in constantly retaining the dysphoric engagement anxiety of wondering bullet performance. Guns serving the actual purpose of consistently hitting target does Not dull gameplay. If the kill time is too compromised from gun accuracy. Theres Player Health, Damage Drop off, Hit Box size, bullet speed, rate of fire, etc that can all be adjusted to make fighting meaningful 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, arglactable said:

A significant percentage of people on this forum confuse not being able to consistently hit your target with difficulty and by extension think weapons that DO consistently hit where you aim are just "easy." These same people very often get shit on in gun fights by players who think weapons that consistently hit what you aim at are a good thing in a competitive game.

Literally everyone "misses" all the time? Holy FUCK, the skill ceiling must be INSANE! Halo CE is so sick.

:walshy:

This is the most correct statement on this Forum. Correct Yesterday, Correct Today, Correct Tomorrow. Just end the Thread Now

5 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Literally like nah dog that shit fucks with thumbstick accuracy bad. You'd never even notice either if you always leave it on. Ive literally clutched headshots that would else Fuck right off while having a bunch if hand rattling nonsense going on. Your feedbacks are your feedbacks whatever but i go out of my way to tear out those shit controller motors for the double benefit of both, a lighter controller and not having it act like a dildo while i play. 

Dual Shock 1 and 2 Vibration was so ridiculous and asstarded and obstructive I'll literally fucking never look at someone with a straight face while they tell me Rumble benefits their performance. Perception is whatever 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I read the important chunks, but not the entire thing, mostly because you typed up a fucking essay, next time summarize what you want to say.  this is a discussion forum,  It’s not needed to have long ass essay style responses. Your post is mentioning actions regarding sight, sound and touch, and you basically mentioned how touch was done improperly? Am I wrong?  You also came to this dumbass of a conclusion that sound is distracting and unnecessary when that isn’t even close to what I said. Vibration is a physical annoyance, that impacts your physical body. Vibration is literally you shaking and this shake without the proper muscle memory can cause you to mess up in your game thus why people like me disable it. Sound also is easily picked up and doesn’t require the time and patience to adjust. Only way sound is messing you up if you play so high a volume that it hurts or causes you to go deaf, but most human beings are intelligent enough to not do this.

vibration has been implemented in every game for the past twenty something years(don’t quote me) and has not once been a feature people say “I loved how vibration was done in this game”. Denying history is a fools move because it makes you think this will magically work in the present(in some cases this has happened but usually because of greater tech or new resources suchs as plants or something of the sort). Vibration is such a feature, you’ve come up a hypothesis on how vibration could possibly work, without knowing if it can. To test this you’d have to see how many people keep this form of vibration on and those who keep it off, and in order for this test to be successful it’d have to have a score of at least 70%. 

Finding out that you don't actually read is probably the least surprising thing I've read in months. Perhaps if you actually read what people say before talking more (you know, on a forum, where you come to read), you wouldn't come across as so god damn ignorant all the time. It's a few paragraphs dude, and it's about something you're interested in, and it's written by someone that knows more than you. Grow the fuck up and read.

I love how you follow up admitting that you gave up on reading by literally guessing at what he took the time to tell you (and getting it wrong, shocker). If you had a respectable level of reading comprehension, you would know that his points about sound were not meant to say that it's distracting and unnecessary, but instead that vibration could be as beneficial as sound if it were implemented correctly. Thus far, with very few exceptions that he was kind enough to point out, it hasn't been implemented correctly. You ignored this portion completely while you skimmed over his post, and then thought you understood it well enough to retort. Instead, you just shit on the status quo implementation of vibration, which he already said was shit. So good job completely not understanding what you're fucking replying to.

I also love the part where you say he's "denying history" even though he literally fucking directly addressed it, and then say "magically work" like he didn't just give excellent examples of how it could work. Then you say he wouldn't know it would work, when he again gave real world examples of it having already been used well.

So now I'm just curious at how little you actually read and comprehend before you hit that quote button and start typing. What is your actual thought process like? Do you just read the first sentence of each paragraph?  Exactly how many lines does a post need to be before you give up?  Is there any lingering doubt in your mind while you're typing a response that maybe you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, because you didn't finish reading what you're replying to? Or are you just supremely confident that none of it was important, and only your words and your uninformed, ignorant opinions matter? Does it make you feel stupid when these things are pointed out to you, or do you just get angry that they were pointed out to you, and choose to learn nothing from it?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 4
  • Salt (-1) 1

Going forward, any discussion about vibration should be under the assumption that shooting and getting shot do not cause vibration. Other things that can be conveyed with a single pulse of vibration, like timing a reload or a spring jump, are the actual point of discussion. I think we all agree that status quo vibration is unhelpful garbage. We're talking about new, unintrusive, helpful ways vibration could be used. Just because it has only ever been shitty doesn't mean it can only ever be shitty. Hopefully that helps focus the discussion onto something interesting.

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Going forward, any discussion about vibration should be under the assumption that shooting and getting shot do not cause vibration. Other things that can be conveyed with a single pulse of vibration, like timing a reload or a spring jump, are the actual point of discussion. I think we all agree that status quo vibration is unhelpful garbage. We're talking about new, unintrusive, helpful ways vibration could be used. Just because it has only ever been shitty doesn't mean it can only ever be shitty. Hopefully that helps focus the discussion onto something interesting.

Timing a reload can be done purely by an animation. You don't need vibration for it. As someone who only uses sight to do it in hardcore games. It's really not that hard, and doesn't require an extra option for it. All for options, but not for useless ones. The fact people want to play with vibration already is weird as fuck, though. Again, close to no one in a high level who unironically plays for money does not for a reason. Because it's a gimmicky detriment with the potential to fuck your aim up. And the information you want is conveyed to you just fine, already.

• Like (+1) 2

I think we need to go figure out how many people actually play with vibration on at the top end. I've never used it but I can remember being surprised by a few pros who did. Iirc Snip3down and Ogre 2 are a couple of them

2 minutes ago, Snipe Three said:

I think we need to go figure out how many people actually play with vibration on at the top end. I've never used it but I can remember being surprised by a few pros who did. Iirc Snip3down and Ogre 2 are a couple of them

Pretty sure Lethul uses the rumble triggers too on the X1 controller. 

I remember using vibration in Reach to help time my shots in DMR or Magnum duels instead of the reticle so I could visually focus my targets better.

Honestly, Halo is the only game I keep vibration on for the feedback. I actually play  way worse without it. The same could not be said for other games. I turn that shit off cause it's distracting as hell.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

Weekly montage roundup

Hide contents

I hit some okay clips, think I might make a minitage. Then Hyena releases a new montage and I throw all my clips away 

• Simms (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I read the important chunks, but not the entire thing, mostly because you typed up a fucking essay

Oh the irony

• Like (+1) 2