CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I said I was willing to speak in a party, and then they divulged into insults again before I even got home from work that same day. Why would I sit there and willingly put myself through more of that, I'd like to think my time is a little more valuable. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

The issue with moderating this thread is that I don't want to ban people, but there's a lot of heated discussion going on. I don't particularly want to refresh the page every 5 minutes to read the posts so I usually only check a few times a day.

The issues lie in the derailing of discussion into argument, which can be ok until it becomes petty. Then it becomes a question of where to draw the line (which post to remove as the inciting one and then all the posts that follow) without feeling like I'm just closing one side of the debate out.

In addition I have my own opinion which makes me bias towards one side so it skews the above. If I see direct insults, however, they will be removed.

While I'm glad that you can see that you have a bias and it went into your decision making, I, personally, thought that the conversation got a lot further than it should have.

Honestly you can still have a pretty laid back approach to moderating and still intervene so that you don't have to refresh every 5 minutes. Just because you draw a line somewhere doesn't mean that both parties aren't in the wrong. You choose the post you think incited it, remove the posts involved, and issue a warning to chill to everyone involved. Next time you check in if you see something that crosses the line again you issue a short ban or strike, whatever this site uses.

35 minutes ago, Nokt said:

While I'm glad that you can see that you have a bias and it went into your decision making, I, personally, thought that the conversation got a lot further than it should have.

Honestly you can still have a pretty laid back approach to moderating and still intervene so that you don't have to refresh every 5 minutes. Just because you draw a line somewhere doesn't mean that both parties aren't in the wrong. You choose the post you think incited it, remove the posts involved, and issue a warning to chill to everyone involved. Next time you check in if you see something that crosses the line again you issue a short ban or strike, whatever this site uses.

Yeah I definitely dropped the ball with that one.

17 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Yeah I definitely dropped the ball with that one.

Are you able to lock and unlock threads? Probably the best idea would have been to lock the whole thread for a couple days to cool everyone off. No bias in that decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, VinnyMendoza said:

Are you able to lock and unlock threads? Probably the best idea would have been to lock the whole thread for a couple days to cool everyone off. No bias in that decision. 

Technically yes but I feel we're in the cooling off period now. I will be reading this thread far more often now so should be able to keep the discussion civil. 

Also I'd like to apologise for being lax.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Shekkles said:

Technically yes but I feel we're in the cooling off period now. I will be reading this thread far more often now so should be able to keep the discussion civil. 

Also I'd like to apologise for being lax.

Yeah I more meant in retrospect. It's all good. 

I forgot about locking threads for a cool-off. Like the MLG am threads that were people who just non stop talked shit to each other, but were actual competitive players going to events so it was pretty much just about the game and not personal out of spite. I remember when they tried out the shit talk thread too.

I remember they used to edit posts and leave something in saying who edited and why, but that seems like a moderating nightmare.

So, getting away from all that...

Playing Apex Legends and having so many people rocking mics has made me long for the old days of Halo. I hate that no one talks on XBL. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I feel like most people who talk on XBL not in party chat is just a child or toxic. Was playing CE 2v2, game was tied at 10 (everyone had 5 kills), and my teammate is literally screaming for me to "shoot your pistol you fucking moron" ... I was just spawn killed dumbass, I didn't even have time to switch to the Pistol on spawn. Started bitching about how I "was in 4th place" when everyone got their 6th kill except me. I'd get OS and he'd be pissed I didn't get Camo or Rockets. 

Then I play H2a btb and I get a kid crying because a teammate took the Hornet and Warthog on spawn. Party chat may have been the beginning of the end for game chat but toxicity and/or bitching like a child certainly doesn't help.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JordanB said:

I feel like most people who talk on XBL not in party chat is just a child or toxic. Was playing CE 2v2, game was tied at 10 (everyone had 5 kills), and my teammate is literally screaming for me to "shoot your pistol you fucking moron" ... I was just spawn killed dumbass, I didn't even have time to switch to the Pistol on spawn. Started bitching about how I "was in 4th place" when everyone got their 6th kill except me. I'd get OS and he'd be pissed I didn't get Camo or Rockets. 

Then I play H2a btb and I get a kid crying because a teammate took the Hornet and Warthog on spawn. Party chat may have been the beginning of the end for game chat but toxicity and/or bitching like a child certainly doesn't help.

True, but I don't really see these kinds of toxic fuckers on Apex. It really feels like an XBL problem, possibly a console problem? 

• Like (+1) 1

I enjoy the Siege community because everyone communicates. However, they'll invite you to their party or vice versa. Game chat is rarely used. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TeeJaY said:

I enjoy the Siege community because everyone communicates. However, they'll invite you to their party or vice versa. Game chat is rarely used. 

And joining randoms parties on X1 is risky as fuck since they can DDoS you once you join. 

US servers and parties of 4 all night in MCC. Yawn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Salt (-1) 1

8 minutes ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

And joining randoms parties on X1 is risky as fuck since they can DDoS you once you join. 

You’re not that important to boot, and if you get booted regularly get a VPN. Not impossible to boot you with it, but really hard.

33 minutes ago, Basu said:

US servers and parties of 4 all night in MCC. Yawn.

Imagine a party of 4 from the US on a US server trying to hit a party 4 for from REU and them warping all over the place since MCC likes to punish those who actually live close to the server for some reason.  Sounds like fun!  

3 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

True, but I don't really see these kinds of toxic fuckers on Apex. It really feels like an XBL problem, possibly a console problem? 

Possibly, I only have Xbox so I can't compare it to PC. Also I rarely play Apex by myself so I'm usually in a party when I play, so I'm not sure if it's game chat is any better either. 

3 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

I almost never get a third that has a mic on xbox. They usually just ping the crap out of stuff.

I don't play it enough on PC to know either way.

Imagine searching hardcore at 4pm EST and getting a Northern Europe server while you're sitting in Atlanta. Now I understand not allowing me to say no to west coast servers or whatever on some level for population reasons but I should at least be able to insist on playing on my own continent to my benefit or detriment. There comes a point where the distance on games like Halo 2 or 3 makes the game not even worth playing and it should be optional at that point.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Snipe Three said:

Imagine searching hardcore at 4pm EST and getting a Northern Europe server while you're sitting in Atlanta. Now I understand not allowing me to say no to west coast servers or whatever on some level for population reasons but I should at least be able to insist on playing on my own continent to my benefit or detriment. There comes a point where the distance on games like Halo 2 or 3 makes the game not even worth playing and it should be optional at that point.

the secret tip is to get a program that artificially increases ur ping so u only fit the ping range for east coast then just pause it once u get a game. 

2 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

People complained about region lock and this is the result. 

We just have to complain even more loudly in favour of it. 

2 hours ago, VinnyMendoza said:

People complained about region lock and this is the result. 

We just have to complain even more loudly in favour of it. 

Trust me, I've tried arguing for search parameters in Postums discord for almost a year now, and they still refuse to do anything about it.

JUST GIVE US FUCKING SEARCH PARAMETERS HOLY SHIT HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO UNDERSTAND THAT PLAYERS LIKE CHOICE FUCK ME THEY GOT MATCH COMPOSER WORKING BUT THEY CANT GIVE US SEARCH PARAMETERS?

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Don have xbox anymore playing on Pc so i can compare a little bit. I would say on Pc, there are much more sophisticated methotds how to deal with those kids. I am playing Overwatch from time to time. There is quick play, where you meet all kind of morons. But. You have an option to create party of people before you join a game, no mater you want to play social, arcade or ranked. You create a room and wait for people to join. Those parties fill up pretty quick and most of the time, its people who are willing to talk, play their role and help to win. Its a simple, yet very effective tool.

Another thing blizz have is you can endorse players who are helpful. Again it motivates players to do what they are supposed to do.

So, morrons are everywhere, its how the devs can deal wit it.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Cursed Lemon said:

So, getting away from all that...

Playing Apex Legends and having so many people rocking mics has made me long for the old days of Halo. I hate that no one talks on XBL. 

I remember 2010/2011 people were mentioning the difference between H3 and Reach in terms of talking players. In H3, there were people talking pre-game, during game, and post-game and you could join up with randoms in the post-game lobby to play another match (Press 'X' to Party Up feature) and possibly make a new friend. Whereas in Reach, people talked way less and were more likely to be in party chats than public since Bungie decided to change up how people interacted. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1