Jump to content
CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cH_ said:

We need red orchestra level gore, im talking gibs and nubs, limbless stubs. Most importantly we need mandatory K/D splash screens after every game that highlights in red the worst performer with another 5 second splash screen that reads [Would you like to remove this player? press X]

 

You can’t have a system that vote kicks the guy playing badly. 

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

All weapon balances aside, reach had the best netcode compared to any halo game, change my mind.

It did, although the amount of host migrations in BTB was a little ridiculous. Funny how both H4 and H5 took steps backwards though because I never had a blank shot in Reach even on awful cross-world connections.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

All weapon balances aside, reach had the best netcode compared to any halo game, change my mind.

H2a mate

Reach is rose tinted glasses.  People fought over host in custom games. Theres the famos video where a pro quits when he doesnt pull host. Host adv was real. U get plenty of blanks on reach.

 

even if i set my vpn to australia then tunnel it back to my house (400 ping), my shit registers on h2a  

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

An M rating isn't hard to obtain given what past Halos has to do for it. All it took was Flood dismemberment to get a pretty tame game an M rating. I don't get where this "mass amounts of blood came from" outside of maybe CE's obnoxiously fun body punching to send your frames to single digits. And Halo Wars, which ironically enough has the most gameplay blood by default, without wailing on corpses. The series has been pretty light on it in general. Always been super toned down sci-fi violence. Which is also funny given Halo 5 literally has an assassination where you outright park a knife into a dude's face, before kneeing it into his skull. Or one where you pull a dude's arm out of his socket so hard it breaks his spine with a pretty gross crunch. THAT sorta violence is better to me than outright insane gore, and the game is rated teen despite having some pretty extreme content to it. Much like Halo 3 is rated M, despite being hilariously tame and almost cartoony in its depiction of violence.

I could maybe get trying to go for a Gears of War aesthetic, but I dunno. It ironically enough feels so out of the ordinary it's kinda jarring, lmao. At least for the mainline games. The books are insane with violence, but yunno. Divides. I don't wanna bring up a dumb "identity" argument, because I hate how arbitrary they are, but Halo never really has been a super glorifyingly violent title. It almost feels like a part of what it is. This sorta pseudo-toned down world of unrealistically pristine violence, lol. It hasn't needed to be to maintain relevance. If anything, the lack of superb violent aspects is what gives parents the nudge in getting it for kids. That and its setting. 

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT. This boils back down to a superbly weird point. Why in the fuck do we want to begin catering to, or wanting kids to get into the game? I guess sometimes kids get into the game AS kids, but there are just as many games that aren't M-rated that acquire a following from childhood to adulthood through pure quality. I honestly prefer that we don't ramp up violence, to the contrary. I'd rather have people getting into it because it looks good from the outset regardless of rating over trying to get edgy for the kids, essentially throwing shit at a wall to see which ones stick with the series. I get the idea, I just don't think it's worth going for for that reason. Longevity can be acquired in other ways without going to weird extremes. 

Lastly, fucking good. Glad he was called out for it. I'd do it myself if I could, lmao. I'll never get over how this kid made a name for himself by pubstomping and alting in parties against bots, but gets decimated against average players and whines about the problem he adds onto. He's 3/3 in games I've played against him. Hope to raise the bar higher.

All good points, and to be perfectly clear, I want the gore for primarily selfish reasons. I think it’d be cool as shit. Everything else I said was trying to explore why it might be good for the franchise. We can agree to disagree there.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Anyone see Ogre 2's meltdown over 75 kills to win today? I figured out to not search slayer when I have a to3+ a long time ago. That's his gripe. Finding the last guy for more kills. Nevermind the fact that real games now last longer than 5 minutes. Let's cut every game off at the knees just in case people quit, when we search with way too good of a team in a social playlist, instead of just not searching slayer. mmkay

I did, and he's got a valid point.  Who wants to hunt down AFK players to 75 kills?

Who is mint Blitz?  I've never come across him or his fuckery. 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Basu said:

It did, although the amount of host migrations in BTB was a little ridiculous. Funny how both H4 and H5 took steps backwards though because I never had a blank shot in Reach even on awful cross-world connections.

Lol the only host migrations that would happen we’re the host box kids and the rage quitters.

Share this post


Link to post

Reach's netcode wasn't perfect, but H2A's was and arguably still is straight ass. Give me a single shot utility or give me death.

  • Downvote (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

Reach's netcode wasn't perfect, but H2A's was and arguably still is straight ass. Give me a single shot utility or give me death.

Latter has nothing to do with netcode

Share this post


Link to post

Would this not be the perfect rate of fire for a 4 shot magnum?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Latter has nothing to do with netcode

Half of what I said was a joke, try to figure out which half that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, HeX Reapers said:

Half of what I said was a joke, try to figure out which half that is.

The half which is your life. >:(

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, WARGOD said:

I did, and he's got a valid point.  Who wants to hunt down AFK players to 75 kills?

Who is mint Blitz?  I've never come across him or his fuckery. 

 

 

Why should we set up score limits designed around quitters? A game to 50 with all 8 players is about 5 minutes long. That's stupid. Address the actual problem, instead of limiting the potential of every single game just in case someone quits.

Get rid of rolling search so idle people don't poison game after game. Punish the first two quitters, but let everyone else out, on either team, without penalty. Add toggleable join in progress. Put in a good XP system that encourages finishing the game. ADD A FUCKING FORFEIT OPTION.  All of these are better than saying, "Hey, let's always play to a comically low score limit, just in case someone quits."

Also, don't search slayer with a full team. You're asking for it at that point. Common sense.

  • Like (+1) 7

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Why should we set up score limits designed around quitters? A game to 50 with all 8 players is about 5 minutes long. That's stupid. Address the actual problem, instead of limiting the potential of every single game just in case someone quits.

Get rid of rolling search so idle people don't poison game after game. Punish the first two quitters, but let everyone else out, on either team, without penalty. Add toggleable join in progress. Put in a good XP system that encourages finishing the game. ADD A FUCKING FORFEIT OPTION.  All of these are better than saying, "Hey, let's always play to a comically low score limit, just in case someone quits."

Also, don't search slayer with a full team. You're asking for it at that point. Common sense.

Yes please. I think 343 is catering so much to how the older systems worked and have it be exactly the way it used to be (no forfeit, no JIP, continuous search that I believe was in Halo 3) instead of actually making good QoL tweaks.

Hopefully we get an XP system when Reach comes to unlock the armor customization (but have it work through all of MCC, not just Reach). I think that would help prevent quitters a ton, and even if it doesn't they can make a JIP system that gives you bonus XP for joining a game and finishing it out. Probably doubtful but it's a good idea IMO.

Also I read your post on Waypoint and I enjoyed it.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Hard Way said:

Why should we set up score limits designed around quitters? A game to 50 with all 8 players is about 5 minutes long. That's stupid. Address the actual problem, instead of limiting the potential of every single game just in case someone quits.

Get rid of rolling search so idle people don't poison game after game. Punish the first two quitters, but let everyone else out, on either team, without penalty. Add toggleable join in progress. Put in a good XP system that encourages finishing the game. ADD A FUCKING FORFEIT OPTION.  All of these are better than saying, "Hey, let's always play to a comically low score limit, just in case someone quits."

Also, don't search slayer with a full team. You're asking for it at that point. Common sense.

The issue is that quitting is a major issue within the CE playlist. You don't want the game limited around quitters, but you want people punished for playing with friends as a fully party?! 

 

You should absolutely not be punished for searching with a full team, whether passively or actively. That's one of the most asinine things I've ever read on here. Am I missing something?!

 

50 is not a comically low kill score anyways. 50 kills in a skill balanced 4v4 is more than enough to determine who the better slaying team is. The same team that wins at 50 will also win at 75 the vast majority of the time. You're just prolonging the game for no reason to inflate game-time at that point.

 

I honestly can't believe half the shit I read here.

 

All that said, yes, the matchmaking and forfeit QOL should be integrated. The ban penalty is somehow too strict and too lax, which is honestly an amazing feat by 343.

 

TLDR: fix the shitty matchmaking, quit making low-hanging fruit changes like kill limits, and iron out the quit penalty kinks. It's shockingly apparent that 343 doesn't have knowledgeable people's opinions regarding CE making it through the quality process. 

 

edit: CE games are fast. 4v4 games are chaotic and fast and the game is obviously better balanced around 2s and even 3s. 4s is a chaotic mess even with equally skilled teams. If you've ever played H1 4v4 AT A HIGH LEVEL, you know this and most attempts to balance around this gametype are going to exaggerate the badness of this gametype. I promise I'm not saying that as a 2s purist. 

  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Arftacular said:

The issue is that quitting is a major issue within the CE playlist. You don't want the game limited around quitters, but you want people punished for playing with friends as a fully party?! 

 

You should absolutely not be punished for searching with a full team, whether passively or actively. That's one of the most asinine things I've ever read on here. Am I missing something?!

 

50 is not a comically low kill score anyways. 50 kills in a skill balanced 4v4 is more than enough to determine who the better slaying team is. The same team that wins at 50 will also win at 75. You're just prolonging the game for no reason to inflate game-time at that point.

 

I honestly can't believe half the shit I read here.

 

All that said, yes, the matchmaking and forfeit QOL should be integrated. The ban penalty is somehow too strict and too lax, which is honestly an amazing feat by 343.

 

TLDR: fix the shitty matchmaking, quit making low-hanging fruit changes like kill limits, and iron out the quit penalty kinks. It's shockingly apparent that 343 doesn't have knowledgeable people's opinions regarding CE making it through the quality process. 

50 is comically low for CE. 

Think about it, we're saying we need to play 2v2 for 10-15 minutes and thus 10-15 powerup cycles and a good amount of spawns to properly determine a true winner. But 4v4 is held to a different standard? 

There is too much randomness and the game is over too quickly in 4v4. You establish a dominant position for a few minutes and you win. That's not that difficult. Doing it for 10+ minutes is. 

The other Halo titles would have this same quitting and afk problem if pros like the Ogres were just rolling through an UNRANKED social playlist. CE doesn't have ranked for 4v4 so this is the result. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, VinnyMendoza said:

50 is comically low for CE. 

Think about it, we're saying we need to play 2v2 for 10-15 minutes and thus 10-15 powerup cycles and a good amount of spawns to properly determine a true winner. But 4v4 is held to a different standard? 

There is too much randomness and the game is over too quickly in 4v4. You establish a dominant position for a few minutes and you win. That's not that difficult. Doing it for 10+ minutes is. 

The other Halo titles would have this same quitting and afk problem if pros like the Ogres were just rolling through an UNRANKED social playlist. CE doesn't have ranked for 4v4 so this is the result. 

I feel like you guys haven't played a many 4v4 games with decent people.

CE 4v4 is ALL ABOUT randomness. You can't control spawns like you can in 2s. If you spawn green on dammy and you're not terrible = you win. If you spawn blue at HH and you're not terrible = you win. It doesn't matter if its 8 minutes or 15 minutes. CE 4v4 outcomes are incredibly spawn dependent and the time or kill limit of the game doesn't matter.

 

The fact of the matter is CE is not built around 4v4s, whether you guys want to admit to yourself or not.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Arftacular said:

The issue is that quitting is a major issue within the CE playlist. You don't want the game limited around quitters, but you want people punished for playing with friends as a fully party?!   Don't put words in my mouth. You're obviously being disingenuous. Since you had trouble the first time, I'll repeat myself. I said that if you're going to search with a stacked team, you should know better than to search Slayer, because people will quit, and then you have to play hide and seek. It was a problem at 50 too. They should have learned to not do it by now. I did. It's an entirely avoidable problem. Crying about the score limit for ALL games is pretty selfish when you're only considering your own stacked ass team pubstomping kids that don't even pull out their pistol. Regular games (the VAST majority), now last an appropriate amount of time. I don't know where the fondness for 4-5 minute games came from. If 100 kills was an option on disc, it 100% would have been used for 4v4. Just TRY to argue that. You'd be wrong as fuck.

 

You should absolutely not be punished for searching with a full team, whether passively or actively. That's one of the most asinine things I've ever read on here. Am I missing something?! Yeah, you're missing the part where they're doing it to themselves, and not taking any of the obvious steps they could make to avoid their problem. Quitting is the reality we deal with. If you search with a stacked team, you will make people quit. So don't search slayer. It's not a difficult concept.

 

50 is not a comically low kill score anyways. 50 kills in a skill balanced 4v4 is more than enough to determine who the better slaying team is. The same team that wins at 50 will also win at 75 the vast majority of the time. You're just prolonging the game for no reason to inflate game-time at that point. We play 2v2 to 25  and 4v4 to 50 in other Halos for a reason. The game needs a certain amount of time and spawn cycles to play out properly. 50 kills doesn't allow enough time to prove anything. Arguing for 50 kills in a properly balanced H1 4v4 is no different than arguing for 25 kills in H3. H1 plays way faster, and the score limit needs to allow for that.

 

I honestly can't believe half the shit I read here.  Likewise.

 

All that said, yes, the matchmaking and forfeit QOL should be integrated. The ban penalty is somehow too strict and too lax, which is honestly an amazing feat by 343.

 

TLDR: fix the shitty matchmaking, quit making low-hanging fruit changes like kill limits, and iron out the quit penalty kinks. It's shockingly apparent that 343 doesn't have knowledgeable people's opinions regarding CE making it through the quality process. The real meat and potatoes fixes are difficult and take time. In the meantime, effort has gone towards making the settings as good as possible. Better something than nothing. And if you're interested in making an actual difference, I would encourage you to get involved with the Insider program. That's of course assuming you want to do more than just bitch. I guess we'll see, huh?

 

edit: CE games are fast. 4v4 games are chaotic and fast and the game is obviously better balanced around 2s and even 3s. 4s is a chaotic mess even with equally skilled teams. If you've ever played H1 4v4 AT A HIGH LEVEL, you know this and most attempts to balance around this gametype are going to exaggerate the badness of this gametype. I promise I'm not saying that as a 2s purist. I was with you until you said most attempts to balance the gametypes just exaggerate the badness. I disagree. H1 4's is chaotic as hell and very different from every Halo that came after it, but with the right settings it can shine. Ending games just as they're really getting going doesn't qualify.

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

 

Basically moral of the story is you have no idea what you're talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Arftacular said:

I feel like you guys haven't played a many 4v4 games with decent people.

This is literally the only place on the internet that cares about competitive Halo. If people here haven't played with "decent players", then "decent players" don't exist. 

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 2
  • Salt (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post

This was just last year, featured plenty of people that most people would consider at least decent and probably even better, and they played slayer to 100.

If you like short slayer games, that's fine. If you especially prefer short slayer games in MCC due to the quitting culture, that's fine too. But I feel it's unfair to say slayer above 50 is bad.

---

Side note, I registered for Beach LAN last night. Looking forward to getting beaten by players that probably aren't even decent. :lxthul:

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Why should we set up score limits designed around quitters? A game to 50 with all 8 players is about 5 minutes long. That's stupid. Address the actual problem, instead of limiting the potential of every single game just in case someone quits.

Get rid of rolling search so idle people don't poison game after game. Punish the first two quitters, but let everyone else out, on either team, without penalty. Add toggleable join in progress. Put in a good XP system that encourages finishing the game. ADD A FUCKING FORFEIT OPTION.  All of these are better than saying, "Hey, let's always play to a comically low score limit, just in case someone quits."

Also, don't search slayer with a full team. You're asking for it at that point. Common sense.

Yep I'm all for this, but UNTIL they implement it all, why should people have to get 75 kills against the last guy that refuses to leave and hides all game?  It's hard getting people to stay when you que up solo, let alone what would happen with a 4 man.

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Silos said:

This was just last year, featured plenty of people that most people would consider at least decent and probably even better, and they played slayer to 100.

If you like short slayer games, that's fine. If you especially prefer short slayer games in MCC due to the quitting culture, that's fine too. But I feel it's unfair to say slayer above 50 is bad.

---

Side note, I registered for Beach LAN last night. Looking forward to getting beaten by players that probably aren't even decent. :lxthul:

Hook up xlan or dl pc and get on that grind

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Arftacular said:

Basically moral of the story is you have no idea what you're talking about.

Wait... who are you again?

So you're saying that Hardway of all people, the guy who has the ear of 343 that actually can actually implement changes and the guy who's played 4v4 with the best players currently playing the game at beach lans has no idea what he is talking about?  OK.....

That makes about as much sense as asking for someone's gamer tag to check stats when it's not possible to look up MCC stats online.  

  • Upvote (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.