CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

9 hours ago, Hard Way said:

Oh, for ranked? Yeah that’s fine. I’d do it by playlist though.

And yes, there’s a big difference between shaming someone over quitting vs K/D, and it should be obvious. Choice. Shame over quitting would yield good things. It’s very different for K/D.

I feel like you’re not trying very hard to think about why I might feel the way I do, because that was obvious. You wouldn’t be trying too hard to find hypocrisy as a shortcut to an argument “checkmate”, would you?

I’m not trying very hard because I don’t think it’s a good suggestion, if we’re assuming we’re talking about ranked playlists. But yeah, you’re right. It’s intellectually lazy to equate quitting to KD. Credit that to a long day at work. 

Social playlist = zero viewable data, aside from carnage report stuff after the game. It doesn’t incentivize anything good. 

Ranked playlist = give me all the “important” metrics I can have at a glance so I can see if I want to play with X person and also give me feedback regarding my current run of games. 

However, I do think KD and win metrics do add a bit of fuel to the fire to things like “ladder/matchmaking anxiety” in ranked/competitive. I’d be interested to see what sort of statistics could be offered to help that... to cut down on the smurfing problem. Not sure how prevalent that is in H5 or current H3. 

43 minutes ago, Gold said:

The plasma repeater was crazy good in the beta, it was so weak in the full game tho, was so shit I actually forgot about that weapon. 

My fondest memories of the Repeater after release was when people immediately switched to the Plasma Pistol when they spawned in Invasion/Elite Slayer. 

Instead of harmlessly venting the gun’s heat, the Plasma Repeater could have belched forward a blast of hot gas.  Like a short range attack that is only available when your gun is about to overheat.

• Like (+1) 1

Found this pretty interesting. I was real young when Reach was released, but like many other commenters on YouTube, I found myself having a lot more fun during the Beta than when the final relase dropped. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JordanB said:

The Reach Rocket Launcher locked onto aircraft, Halo CE had no lock on, Halo 2 had full vehicle lock on, Halo 3 again had no lock on, and Halo 4 it can lock on to aircraft again. 

Not everything needs to be realistic in a game taking place in 2552+.

Unless you're just speaking that it wouldn't work in game play, in which I think it would a fun social and Campaign weapon. 

Spikes don't bounce. They stick into stuff.

GOD ITS LIKE IM SPEAKING WITH ILLITERATE CHILDREN HERE

Reach on MCC should add some QoL changes, like being able to toggle off assassinations like you can in Halo 5. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Assassinations were one of  the dumbest additions to the franchise, change my mind 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Mr Grim said:

Spikes don't bounce. They stick into stuff.

GOD ITS LIKE IM SPEAKING WITH ILLITERATE CHILDREN HERE

So change the gun so it isn't spikes. 

1 hour ago, Basu said:

Assassinations were one of  the dumbest additions to the franchise, change my mind 

That's a hefty list. We talking top 10, or top 50 dumbest?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Basu said:

You can still assassinate someone normally without doing an animation so it's more like a nice cosmetic addition rather than any of the other numerous "dumb" additions to the franchise that were forced onto the player or needlessly shoved into the sandbox.  

Some of my own past montage clips were recorded just because I got multiple Yoinks in a row or sniped someone through the head before they could finish the assassination animation.  This was one of the few things that I felt was organically included in Reach and beyond, again because it isn't something you have to do.  

51 minutes ago, xSociety said:

That's a hefty list. We talking top 10, or top 50 dumbest?

Touché, we've been fed so much garbage over the years that even undoubtedly stupid shit like assassinations seem tame. 

@SquattingBear Outside of H5 there was no way to disable them, and even when lightly tapping the melee button you would sometimes trigger the animation and die in the process. Also, I can't disable them for my dumbass teammates who will gladly let me die instead of help just so they can get a 5 second takedown animation and jerk off with the other hand in the meantime. It's similar to the assignments in Battlefield that had entire squads trying to get kills with the EOD bot to complete an assignment instead of just playing the fucking game.

Also, I encourage everyone of you to watch the GDC talk on Halo Reachs netcode. The amount of manpower and effort wasted on getting the animations to work in an online environment is astonishing. That doesn't even include the hundreds of hours wasted on creating the animations themselves and bug-testing them so they work with map geometry etc. Time that could've been spent having an actually balanced sandbox, having more interesting weapons and powerups etc etc. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Basu said:

@SquattingBear Outside of H5 there was no way to disable them, and even when lightly tapping the melee button you would sometimes trigger the animation and die in the process. Also, I can't disable them for my dumbass teammates who will gladly let me die instead of help just so they can get a 5 second takedown animation and jerk off with the other hand in the meantime. It's similar to the assignments in Battlefield that had entire squads trying to get kills with the EOD bot to complete an assignment instead of just playing the fucking game.

Ah I see.  I've actually never played  H5 so I don't know how the mechanic works in that game.  But I don't remember instances of the animation occurring if you only tapped the button in Reach & H4; however you are correct in that there should be an option to disable it for each player.  Now, if you're upset that your teammates are doing something in the game that isn't helping achieve the goal...well then my friend that's a problem with the Halo community and our toxic nature, not a specific feature in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

Backsmacking a Power Up user should transfer the power up to the smacker.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Fire (+1) 1
  • Thonking (+0) 2
  • WutFace (+0) 2

Powerups should drop on death anyway. OS logically only if the user gets backsmacked or telefragged.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Arftacular said:

I’m not trying very hard because I don’t think it’s a good suggestion, if we’re assuming we’re talking about ranked playlists. But yeah, you’re right. It’s intellectually lazy to equate quitting to KD. Credit that to a long day at work. 

Social playlist = zero viewable data, aside from carnage report stuff after the game. It doesn’t incentivize anything good. 

Ranked playlist = give me all the “important” metrics I can have at a glance so I can see if I want to play with X person and also give me feedback regarding my current run of games. 

However, I do think KD and win metrics do add a bit of fuel to the fire to things like “ladder/matchmaking anxiety” in ranked/competitive. I’d be interested to see what sort of statistics could be offered to help that... to cut down on the smurfing problem. Not sure how prevalent that is in H5 or current H3. 

Yeah I can get behind that. I think a lack of in-game social stat tracking would actually drive a lot more traffic into ranked, which is good. But I do think the game should make an attempt to prioritize stats that are more relevant to a legitimate game, and not ones that can be farmed by holding the objective. I think K/D, while useful in many situations, is very prone to becoming a toxic stat. It's importance in the UI should reflect that. Maybe only show it for Slayer-based modes where you can't grief a team.

Things like win percentage, games played, deaths per minute, damage per minute, damage mitigated per life (getting shields back), avg game length, avg party size, avg win margin...those should take center stage. They're all valuable stats, but none of them encourage playing like a douche bag, unlike K/D.

I just remember partying up with this squad one time in Reach Anniversary BTB. We get Timberland CTF, and this kid on our team was the most entitled little brat I'ver ever seen. He was clearly a decent player, but he was the most stat-obsessed little shit I've ever come across. He demanded the sniper, and it was just understood that this team was going to set up and spawn kill for as long as possible, and just cap once right before the end. He was legitimately upset if he didn't get a Be The Bullet. That always stuck with me, that there are people like that. If the game didn't track those stats, I always wondered if he would have even bothered playing that way.  And for the record I capped all 3 times as fast as I could just to hear him squeal, and then promptly left the party.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Basu said:

Powerups should drop on death anyway. OS logically only if the user gets backsmacked or telefragged.

That doesn’t make sense to me.  If I snipe a Camo enemy, his buddy next to him can just pick it up and keep going?

@Basu, nothing you said about assassinations is wrong, but I irrationally want a WWE finishers assassination pack so badly that I don't even care. That would be my biggest guilty Halo pleasure ever.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If Halo wasn’t a Disney movie, this would be a cool assassination:

5871618-7851961750-no-on.gif

• Like (+1) 1

I want that M rating back, and I want Halo to run with it, hard.  First of all, making it rated T means kids want to play it less. An M rated game holds a level of mystique and makes kids want to play it much more. They talk about it more at school. There's that "forbidden" factor that draws people in. They go to their friend's house that has it just to play it.  No one did that for Halo 5. Yes, it's more difficult to obtain, but if the game is popular enough, it doesn't stop people from getting their hands on it. There will always be oblivious soccer moms at Target asking the clerk for whatever game their kid wants. I'm not saying the T rating was the main factor in Halo's decline, but I do think it contributed towards making Halo blend in with the crowd.

Make the Covenant evil and sadistic and scary. Bring back mass amounts of blood. Get creative with the gore. I wanna see visor-cracking headshots that leave brain matter on the wall behind them. Rocket kills should send limbs flying. Shotgun kills should leave a basketball-sized hole in their torso. Sword kills should leave deep gashes. Sniper headshots should decapitate. This shit would get people talking about Halo again. It works for Gears of War...

Edit: unrelated, but @TheIcePrincess, I thought you would get a kick out of this. In one of our discords, I guess mint blitz was complaining about 2gre running a to4 in social, saying it caused mass quitting and AFK. He got called out pretty badly for it. It was especially bad bc I guess it was shortly after laughingly posting a screenshot of a 150 kill game on Wizard.

• Like (+1) 1

^ODST 2 featuring The Flood could have an amazing atmosphere.

Pretty big MCC update. Some highlights, big networking update, H1 4v4 slayer score changed to 75, turrets removed on Sanctuary flag for the competitive playlist, and a ton of new action sack type gametypes for Halo 2 Classic.

Skip the first half of the article if you want to skip the goofy joke part and get into the actual update.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/the-yappening-two-yaps-this-time

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Duck works for 343 now?  Cool.

Could the update to 60 hz packet transfers help with some of the Hit-detection issues in games like CE and H3? Interested to see how big of a difference this could make (if any). 

1 hour ago, NAK said:

Could the update to 60 hz packet transfers help with some of the Hit-detection issues in games like CE and H3? Interested to see how big of a difference this could make (if any). 

The networking update doesn't include CE. In their social stream they specifically said that CE's networking is radically different, and made no comment about making efforts to apply the same update in the future.

EDIT: I didn't stick around until the end of the stream, so maybe they commented later. I was only around to hear the explanation and left shortly after.

• Like (+1) 1