CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

8 minutes ago, Cursed Lemon said:

Uhhhh, why not? 

They are not why the game sold. They are absolutely why the game posted humongous population numbers all the way through its lifespan and dominated XBL right up until CoD found its footing. Grifball is likely the most culturally relevant Halo phenomenon to ever exist besides Red vs. Blue. 

All those things you just mentioned were no longer original concepts in the Halo games after H3. They were not killer apps, they were not must-have experiences, and so they did not drive and sustain the games after they launched. Sure, they were great for established, die-hard Halo fans who were going to stick around no matter what, but as far as the multiplayer is concerned that is not a significant amount of people today compared to what once was. 

MCC on PC is going to be "featureless at launch" just like H5 was, why are you not docking it for that? Once again, mods would be an absurdly easy method of sustained interest. Mods are Forge on steroids, and custom games are an enormous part of Halo's multiplayer core compared to other competitive game franchises which are often overwhelmingly centered around matchmaking. 

I don't know what universe you guys are living in where you think naked versions of old Halo games have the same pull that they did 10 years ago, but it's not the one currently running reality. 

Why not, what. Don't get the question.

Second, I disagree. I think the game stayed relevant because people played more than just forge on it. Multiplayer, for shit, or shittier had a good hook for people, ranks existed, MLG was in full swing, the like. Forge helped. I wouldn't say it was THE reason. It was A reason. 

Third, I still disagree with the notion you need entirely new concepts to succeed. Or that the lack of them is what killed the games following 3. Don't get where you get this idea, lol.

MCC on PC I wasn't docking because the sequential release of a title is much different than Halo 5's manner of "sustain". One is releasing a full title as it's ready, and then moving onto the next. That I don't mind when you're literally getting a full game ported over time. It's not just "one feature", it's THAT game you want for PC. So it's nowhere near Halo 5. My only issue is Reach's manner of removing forge and theater for what is apparently an overhaul? But still launching it first. Why not just do CE/2/3 and so on then since Reach isn't ready. I'll dock the individual game for not releasing content, but not a collection for pushing out individual content filled games. So it's not featureless. It's just one full game, lmao. I don't consider games to be "features", they're individually filled with features, and in this case, happen to be unified, UI wise. Already ranted on why I think the idea that the sequential release is bad is a misguided one as it was. Was in a past response, lol.

I'm not saying Halo would have the pull it did ten years ago. Nowhere did I say that, even IF the hype train somewhat disagrees with me and tons of people are stoked for this. I just find it funny that it's to the point where critically acclaimed games NEED mods to live. I find the heelturn hilarious, given how much we praise these games for their gameplay, yet, they apparently won't stand a chance on their gameplay alone. Despite having sustained a population before, for a decade, without mods as their UGC and social mechanics worked well in aiding a game's lifespan. Again, mods aren't bad. Not against them at all, and do want them. But they will not kill a game if they're not there. Other games exist to show this just as much as games with mods do.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, infraction said:

Just the announcement of Halo to PC was the number 1 post on reddit, was trending on both youtube and twitter, and was higher than any of the Cyberpunk threads on /r/games. How can you possibly say that people don't care about it coming to PC?

An upvote/retweet costs absolutely nothing and is useless for gauging true interest. Especially on a fucking ADD hive like reddit where they'll give 20,000 upvotes and several rounds of gold to some turd who makes a well-timed Seinfeld reference.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

6 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I'm not saying Halo would have the pull it did ten years ago. Nowhere did I say that, even IF the hype train somewhat disagrees with me and tons of people are stoked for this. I just find it funny that it's to the point where critically acclaimed games NEED mods to live. I find the heelturn hilarious, given how much we praise these games for their gameplay, yet, they apparently won't stand a chance on their gameplay alone. Despite having sustained a population before, for a decade, without mods as their UGC and social mechanics worked well in aiding a game's lifespan. Again, mods aren't bad. Not against them at all, and do want them. But they will not kill a game if they're not there. Other games exist to show this just as much as games with mods do.

Who is going to buy these games for a second, third, or even fourth time without a damn good reason, like official mod support or something else they haven't experienced in any other Halo title? PC alone isn't gonna do it, especially when H1 and H2 already had a PC release.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

6 hours ago, Riddler said:

there were 8,000 people playing halo 3 online and it wasn't official. though it was free. mcc has the chance to be a really good game. tho without a f2p model, i don't see it being very high after the hype dies down. mcc is gunna lack tons of features. it can't compete with dota2 or csgo or fortnite. h2 and CE are already on PC and they boast a population of 40 and 500-1000. 

you underestimate the power of halo 4 big team battle

• Like (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 2

2 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Who is going to buy these games for a second, third, or even fourth time without a damn good reason, like official mod support or something else they haven't experienced in Halo title? PC alone isn't gonna do it, especially when H1 and H2 already had a PC release.

Why do you assume it will only be people buying it that played the games on xbox? A ton of people didn't have an xbox to play the newer games and want to. There is clear interest in the games. 

16 minutes ago, infraction said:

Why do you assume it will only be people buying it that played the games on xbox? A ton of people didn't have an xbox to play the newer games and want to. There is clear interest in the games. 

Because xbox people are the only ones who didn't move on from this franchise a looooong time ago. You want somebody to buy Halo 3 in 2019, you better have something else to offer besides mouse/keyboard controls.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I hope at least map importing / sever downloading works on PC at launch. The PC community are absolutely insane, given Steam workshop functionality I'd say in 2 weeks almost every relevant map from the series would have been ported to be played on Reach. Forge is fun but unnecessary in a world where there is an avenue to release professional quality maps.

The impression I get from the reddit and broader social media crowd is that they very much haven't been along for the ride for the past 8 years, and that the vast majority tuned out at the close of the bungie era. Dwindling playerbase obviously means less people clued in on halo politics, resulting in public opinion on the franchise being pretty outdated and naive. This is fortunate given they're breaking into a new market, although it remains to be seen how quickly the omission of major title features chip away at the veneer.

Let me ask this. Does anyone here in their right mind think that there are tens or hundreds of thousands of prospective Halo fans hopping up and down at the prospect of getting to download MCC on PC...to immediately jump in and play sweaty-ass 4v4 Pit TS? 

How good the games play in ranked matchmaking doesn't have any bearing on peoples' interest in these titles. They are going to download MCC because they want to play 1) the campaign, and 2) the goofy-ass custom games that they used to play when they were younger. 

Both of these things can be advanced to an insane degree by mod support. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly this staggered PC release is killing any hype I can possibly have. Hard to get excited for chunks of decade old games split up over months or possibly even years. Just awful. 

PC players will widely stick with custom games. I suspect rampant cheating in ranked, took 343 almost a half a decade to implement something as simple as ipmasking. I highly doubt they’re going to be on top of their game in the god forsaken wasteland that is PC cheating.  

Natuarly I’m excited about mods that have the potential to fix long standing issues with the games. I just doubt that they’ll be a healthy competitive scene on PC. Guess we’ll see how it goes. 

• Like (+1) 2

Oh, and just throwing this out there. With mod support we get

Individual weapon damage modifiers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 2

1 hour ago, careh said:

I hope at least map importing / sever downloading works on PC at launch. The PC community are absolutely insane, given Steam workshop functionality I'd say in 2 weeks almost every relevant map from the series would have been ported to be played on Reach. Forge is fun but unnecessary in a world where there is an avenue to release professional quality maps.

Porting maps will take months of work to properly implement. Especially in a game like Reach which has a considerably different version of the Blam engine. Pretty sure it uses a different coding/identification system compared to previous games. The ED community just managed to port the remaining H3 maps into Halo Online like 3 or 4 months ago.

16 hours ago, infraction said:

The announcement was when they said it was reach first and other games to follow. And it isn't "Halo Reach on PC, with no Forge mode, mod tools, or servers" since all that stuff is being added along with all future games so I don't really see your point. If one of those truly is a deal breaker for someone they are coming in the future.

Also what do you mean no servers? They have already said it is going to have dedicated servers for it just like on xbox

Being added in the future is irrelevant when it's not there when you pay for the game. It's going to be the same situation as Halo 5, when people realize they bought an early access game and drop it a week later.

If you can't have private servers in a PC game, you might as well not have multiplayer at all.

• Fire (+1) 1

I get that they want to get things right and not have an MCC launch 2 experience but Jesus Christ, no release date, staggered releases starting with fucking Halo Reach (possibly vanilla Reach aka the worst iteration of Halo ever) and they're already cutting corners left and right. Just delay the whole thing a year and get it close to done before announcing anything and building the hype train. 

• Toxic (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Basu said:

I get that they want to get things right and not have an MCC launch 2 experience but Jesus Christ, no release date, staggered releases starting with fucking Halo Reach (possibly vanilla Reach aka the worst iteration of Halo ever) and they're already cutting corners left and right. Just delay the whole thing a year and get it close to done before announcing anything and building the hype train. 

It’s still fucking baffling too me that they refuse to include ODST firefight in the game like there’s literally no way it’s that difficult to implement when they did the entire campaign. 

• Like (+1) 3

I hate vanilla halo 4 more than vanilla reach tbh.

16 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Wrong.

Ur gay.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

Ur gay.

Both had some fucked settings on launch. Fucked abilities. 

But Halo 4 had the ability to shoot your gun straight. With every single precision weapon you picked up and used.

Vanilla Reach was straight infuriating. Vanilla H4 just completely insulted your intelligence. 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I hate vanilla halo 4 more than vanilla reach tbh.

Armor Lock, Jetpack and full bloom will suck the fun out of any good settings. H4 is stupid don't get me wrong but it's not as frustrating as vanilla Reach.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh I get it. H4s mechanics are worse but at least the guns work. Reach has shitty guns but it's loadouts aren't as bad and doesn't have perks, ordnance drops or as many AAs(although the ones reach has aren't good either) or redundant weapons.

It is actually funny that bloom tanks the whole thing though. Like I get liking halo 4 more. I actually dont think reach is objectively better. I just hate it less for personal reasons. 

• Like (+1) 1