CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

8 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Ok then make one up. Jesus you people want unique weapons but don’t have any ideas for any.

How bout a weapon, where, when you shoot it, it shoots out an idea for a unique weapon never before seen that has its only pros and cons. It will be called the Firearm Arbitrary Permutation Riffle. 

aka the F.A.P.R.

• Upvote (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NeverGoFullCanc said:

How bout a weapon, where, when you shoot it, it shoots out an idea for a unique weapon never before seen that has its only pros and cons. It will be called the Firearm Arbitrary Permutation Riffle. 

aka the F.A.P.R.

Stfu haha

10 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

There’s honestly no good reason to use anything besides the magnum besides a few minor incidents.

Needler - Useless.  Decent for burst killing enemies stealthfully on large maps with their back to you but that's pretty much it.
Plasma Pistol - OS counter and potential melee combos, otherwise useless.
Plasma Rifle - OS counter, Ambush, beatdowns...but extremely niche.  Then again it's still the most useful it's been in the entire franchise here.
Assault Rifle - Great choice.  Outdamages Magnum in CQC in most situations, has great melee synergy, helps with using and detecting active camo, shreds shieldless enemies.
Shotgun, Rockets, Sniper (Flamethrower, Fuel Rod) - All obviously worth using over Magnum in their respective situations.  Sure the Magnum is able to contest them but they also tend to have quick spawn times and still be the ideal choice.  

"bUt tHosEe aRe pOwEr wEaPoNs".  First of all that doesn't even invalidate the point, they're still weapons besides the Magnum that see use. And second of all no they are not, aside from the Rockets they have the same frequency and spawn times as any normal weapon.  It's like claiming the Barrett in CoD4 is a power weapon...without considering the context of the sandbox it's found in.

Yeah the Magnum is going to be used constantly anyways because it's versatile and the spawn weapon.  As opposed to what?  Halo 2 or Halo 3 where the BR is used constantly because it's better than all the crappy redundant automatics and other rifles anyways?  The same "problem" is hardly unique to Ce.

Ok then make one up. Jesus you people want unique weapons but don’t have any ideas for any.

I have plenty of ideas for unique weapons, or ways to rework existing weapons to be more unique...I just don't feel obligated to copy-paste the entire list everytime I make an offhand comment about the need for the game to have unique weapons because it's irrelevant to and would just distract from the statement I'm making.

And since it was mentioned, I don't want a 1:1 clone of Ce, which has clear problems of it's own.  I want a game that actually builds on Ce's foundation.  Halo 5 and Halo Reach are similar in some important aspects (reliable singleshot primary, reduced sandbox clutter, reduced killtimes, weapon nading, etc) but then they just unfortunately miss the mark in everything else.  Which is why Halo 5 is especially disappointing to me, it was taking some serious steps in the right direction but then just went full r*tard.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Fire (+1) 1

Halo reach falls into none of those categories but the first unless ur assuming gold pro which i love but its not v7 popular

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ramirez77 said:

Needler - Useless.  Decent for burst killing enemies stealthfully on large maps with their back to you but that's pretty much it.
Plasma Pistol - OS counter and potential melee combos, otherwise useless.
Plasma Rifle - OS counter, Ambush, beatdowns...but extremely niche.  Then again it's still the most useful it's been in the entire franchise here.
Assault Rifle - Great choice.  Outdamages Magnum in CQC in most situations, has great melee synergy, helps with using and detecting active camo, shreds shieldless enemies.
Shotgun, Rockets, Sniper (Flamethrower, Fuel Rod) - All obviously worth using over Magnum in their respective situations.  Sure the Magnum is able to contest them but they also tend to have quick spawn times and still be the ideal choice.  

"bUt tHosEe aRe pOwEr wEaPoNs".  First of all that doesn't even invalidate the point, they're still weapons besides the Magnum that see use. And second of all no they are not, aside from the Rockets they have the same frequency and spawn times as any normal weapon.  It's like claiming the Barrett in CoD4 is a power weapon...without considering the context of the sandbox it's found in.

Yeah the Magnum is going to be used constantly anyways because it's versatile and the spawn weapon.  As opposed to what?  Halo 2 or Halo 3 where the BR is used constantly because it's better than all the crappy redundant automatics and other rifles anyways?  The same "problem" is hardly unique to Ce.

I have plenty of ideas for unique weapons, or ways to rework existing weapons to be more unique...I just don't feel obligated to copy-paste the entire list everytime I make an offhand comment about the need for the game to have unique weapons because it's irrelevant to and would just distract from the statement I'm making.

And since it was mentioned, I don't want a 1:1 clone of Ce, which has clear problems of it's own.  I want a game that actually builds on Ce's foundation.  Halo 5 and Halo Reach are similar in some important aspects (reliable singleshot primary, reduced sandbox clutter, reduced killtimes, weapon nading, etc) but then they just unfortunately miss the mark in everything else.  Which is why Halo 5 is especially disappointing to me, it was taking some serious steps in the right direction but then just went full r*tard.

Hmm I like your points. What did reach do so bad though?(v7 wise of course). In h5s case it was bad because of the abilities.

v7's faults are mostly just baked-in Reach things. Motion blur, fall damage/landing stun and shellshock just to name a few.

Edit: A big thing was maps. The pool was limited (poor dev maps as well as no Ball or Bomb) and all the Forge maps were grey.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Hmm I like your points. What did reach do so bad though?(v7 wise of course). In h5s case it was bad because of the abilities.

To add on what Hex mentioned, the biggest drawback of v7 and Goldpro is the fact that the faster movement sacrifices a good strafe. It is very slippery and you can't make sharp turns easily. Fortunately, the aim assist of the DMR is challenging enough where you can still outperform other players.

• Like (+1) 2

GP customs and Invasion are about the only thing's I'm looking forward to in Reach. Maybe they will also bring back the Anniversary stuff? Doubt it but those playlists were fire.

Vanilla Reach is hot garbage though and if 343's obsession with shitty settings (*ahem* AR and SMG starts) they will be very happy to put non-TU stuff into MCC playlists. Even if we get all the best DLC and forge maps into 4v4 and BTB, the shittiness of loadouts and AAs cannot be overstated.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

To add on what Hex mentioned, the biggest drawback of v7 and Goldpro is the fact that the faster movement sacrifices a good strafe. It is very slippery and you can't make sharp turns easily. Fortunately, the aim assist of the DMR is challenging enough where you can still outperform other players.

Oh ok, guess that makes sense, but how can you tell? Maybe because of the aim assist I never gave it too much thought, strafing was quite effective for the most part. By sharp turns as well what do you mean exactly by that? 

27 minutes ago, Basu said:

GP customs and Invasion are about the only thing's I'm looking forward to in Reach. Maybe they will also bring back the Anniversary stuff? Doubt it but those playlists were fire.

Vanilla Reach is hot garbage though and if 343's obsession with shitty settings (*ahem* AR and SMG starts) they will be very happy to put non-TU stuff into MCC playlists. Even if we get all the best DLC and forge maps into 4v4 and BTB, the shittiness of loadouts and AAs cannot be overstated.

I’m just hoping we get an option to do TU. I don’t want vanilla bs. They shouldn’t even add it tbh.

18 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

By sharp turns as well what do you mean exactly by that? 

Anything above a 90 degree turn made your spartan feel like he was a thousand pounds, slowly swaying his mass to move. Backing up after holding forward took far too long, giving too much emphasis of the weight your character model has in the world. Most of the maps in v7 mitigated this a bit, with not very many 90 degree turns and plenty of space in rooms for you to ease into the next one. The exceptions are Battle Canyon, Penance and the Pit, where the small hallways and box designs made you feel like you're wallowing in molasses.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ethereal Nights said:

Yea, I'm dealing with this as well.

Did you check spam folder

3 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I’m just hoping we get an option to do TU. I don’t want vanilla bs. They shouldn’t even add it tbh.

Yeah same, but it was 343 who refused to patch the entire game in the first place. Classic case of trying to appeal to all sides at once.

3 minutes ago, BigShow36 said:

The CE pistol is a lot like the Queen in chess. Sure, that is the most powerful piece on the board due to it's flexibility; as long as you have the queen, you still have a chance. She is also most likely the piece that moves around the board the most. Does that mean the Queen is the only piece you use? Is the Queen the only piece that can win a game? Is the Queen the only piece that can capture another? 

Of course not; the support pieces are equally useful in their own right, and using them effectively is the provenance of a true master. 

Yes but with the queen your chances of victory are so much higher. With a queen your chances of taking out pieces like rook(I don’t remember if these two are the same thingcastle) Bishop, Knight is so much greater. And unlike CE and chess those support pieces are needed where the support tools on CE aren’t 

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, BigShow36 said:

The CE pistol is a lot like the Queen in chess. Sure, that is the most powerful piece on the board due to it's flexibility; as long as you have the queen, you still have a chance. She is also most likely the piece that moves around the board the most. Does that mean the Queen is the only piece you use? Is the Queen the only piece that can win a game? Is the Queen the only piece that can capture another? 

Of course not; the support pieces are equally useful in their own right, and using them effectively is the provenance of a true master. 

That's a very weird metaphor. Reason you don't move the queen is because it's your second most valuable piece after the king, you don't want to lose it. If chess was all queens but you'd have the option to swap them out to another type you wouldn't do it.

While in HCE your least valuable weapon is the magnum, so you're totally ok with losing it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, theslatcher said:

That's a very weird metaphor. Reason you don't move the queen is because it's your second most valuable piece after the king, you don't want to lose it. If chess was all queens but you'd have the option to swap them out to another type you wouldn't do it.

While in HCE your least valuable weapon is the magnum, so you're totally ok with losing it.

It’s a weird one but not a bad one. He acknowledges the power of the queen but as well as the usefulness of the supports. 

2 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Yes but with the queen your chances of victory are so much higher. With a queen your chances of taking out pieces like rook(I don’t remember if these two are the same thingcastle) Bishop, Knight is so much greater. And unlike CE and chess those support pieces are needed where the support tools on CE aren’t 

I'm not denying that the CE pistol is the most prolific and useful weapon in the game. However, to assume that translates into the only weapon necessary is misinformed. You can win a game against lesser skilled opponents using just the pistol, and you can win a game of chess using just the queen. Sure, the likelihood of that happening is far greater in CE than in Chess, but it's still possible. 

Regardless, moving away from the analogy, let's assume the pistol is used 900% of the time. Is that a bad thing? Does lack of weapon utilization indicate lack of gameplay variety? I would argue that CE has greater gameplay variety than any other Halo game in large part due to the pistol, even though weapon variety is lower.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

The sniper is way stronger on MCC CE than any other gun. idk why this pistol debate is even happening. like the pistol is powerful and all but it still loses at all rangers to snipe. 

On OG, the pistol is only arguably the best mid range, which is perfectly fine. the sniper is the best at all ranges in h3, even mid and close, no argument. no1 talks about how the sniper in h3 is OP. people just love bandwagoning on memes. 

if you compare the pistol kills in the grand finals of beach lan of the ugc tournament of the winning team vs the total br kills of the same ugc finals for h3 (slayer only), ur gunna find that the br gets more kills/game. so stop with how the pistol dominates the ce metagame. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BigShow36 said:

I'm not denying that the CE pistol is the most prolific and useful weapon in the game. However, to assume that translates into the only weapon necessary is misinformed. You can win a game against lesser skilled opponents using just the pistol, and you can win a game of chess using just the queen. Sure, the likelihood of that happening is far greater in CE than in Chess, but it's still possible. 

Regardless, moving away from the analogy, let's assume the pistol is used 900% of the time. Is that a bad thing? Does lack of weapon utilization indicate lack of gameplay variety? I would argue that CE has greater gameplay variety than any other Halo game in large part due to the pistol, even though weapon variety is lower.

It’s bad in a way. I personally could give two shits I want to spawn with a weapon so great I don’t have a need for anything else. But in all seriousness yes it does lack gameplay variety, where only power weapons are being used. You only picked up that plasma rifle in order to melt the guy with OS , h5 has the most variety in gameplay and that’s a fact. It’s just a lot of people didn’t like the sandbox because too many non skilled weapons were too powerful, the other precision weapons were way better etc etc. niche weapons are nice but not really if I want to be honest.. see plasma pistol is a great niche weapon for what it does,but it’s one of the most hated and loved things of halo. I look at h5s original sandbox and think a simple fix would of been damage nerf to autos, An aim assist nerf towards the other precision weapons, and make the pistol 4sk. I think most of us agree with the fact this current sandbox is trash. 

• Downvote (-1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 1

Would kill to have a long term reason to play ranked.  It would be nice to at least know which playlists are temporary and which are more permanent. 

Halo Reach to get a 1-50 ranking system for the first time (: 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Squatting Bear said:

Would kill to have a long term reason to play ranked.  It would be nice to at least know which playlists are temporary and which are more permanent. 

CE 2v2 :D