CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

1 minute ago, darkstar said:

I do it all the time, nobody ever expects in and it throws their whole shot off during the gunfight. Only downside is that you have to remain stationary in order to crouch.

So, it's not so much a crouch strafe as described earlier, as much as it is a "stop strafing to crouch" action, lol.

Also, Halo 4 and Halo 2: Anniversary supported legitimate crouch strafing. 

17 minutes ago, Exidrion said:

I've never seen anyone crouch mid fight in Halo: CE ever. 

I'm not even a CE player and I can tell you it's insanely common lol. Not like H5 but more so than any other game. When you crouch you drop far as shit in CE you just can't do it while walking. So it's not a crouch strafe exactly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 2

9 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Certain Affinity did Halo 4's MP segment partially, likely due to outsourcing (AFAIK), and the fact 343i made the Reach TU, and we in turn got Halo 4 doesn't mean that at all, lol. Given Halo 4 had been in development since 2009, and the TU came out mid-2011, with Halo 4 being launched the next year, I'd be willing to bet every major decision that would've been made regarding how 4 turned out was made, and irreversible barring a large delay. Would've had to have been. Although things from the TU did carry over, like the lack of general bloom.

Certain Affinity just did the grunt work for Halo 4, the direction of the multiplayer was very much decided by 343. As far the TU/release dates, Reach was released in September 2010 and the backlash started pretty much immediately due to the introduction of class-based mechanics and bloom. That's two years out from Halo 4's release. 343 easily could have dialed back if not scrapped much of what they had in store for Halo 4 when they got a whiff of the poor reception of CoD riffs in Halo. They chose not to, they just did a quick and dirty title update for Reach/CE anniversary to get people's hopes up, then said fuck y'all and knowingly released a game that was ten times worse than Reach.

Didn't Frank O'Connor say something around that time about how 343 thought Reach was a great game and that weren't "arrogant and stupid enough" to think that it needed to be fixed? I mean that tells you much of what you need to know right there. Half-hearted fan service to shut people up for a couple of months. That's it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Yeah. What annoyed me is more played vanilla for the stupidest reasons ever. The only exception was BTB. TU needs to be forced around the whole game.

The Reach title update was poorly communicated in-game. I"m pretty sure they kept all the vanilla shit right at the top of the playlist screen, and the vast majority of randoms who don't hang out on internet forums will just choose their usual Team Slayer or Big Team Battle playlist and be on their way. It's how they operate. They want to play, not analyze the available playlists for 20 minutes. The changes made in the playlists marked 'TU' (but still with bloom) were so negligible that most people who did go out of their way to try it probably didn't even know what the difference was, maybe aside from no longer having total invincibility with armor lock, which many people who hadn't yet given up on Reach probably didn't like.

• Upvote (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I’m basing my views off of mcc and what I see from you guys little beach lans. That kind of stuff isn’t acceptable from someone like me, especially since I started with h3.

went to finals. watched a few mins. here u go, 3mins 30s 

edit: tho he didnt crouch stafe, he did crouch which made legend, widely considered to have the best pistol, miss 3 shots

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, Larry Sizemore said:

Certain Affinity just did the grunt work for Halo 4, the direction of the multiplayer was very much decided by 343. As far the TU/release dates, Reach was released in September 2010 and the backlash started pretty much immediately due to the introduction of class-based mechanics and bloom. That's two years out from Halo 4's release. 343 easily could have dialed back if not scrapped much of what they had in store for Halo 4 when they got a whiff of the poor reception of CoD riffs in Halo. They chose not to, they just did a quick and dirty title update for Reach/CE anniversary to get people's hopes up, then said fuck y'all and knowingly released a game that was ten times worse than Reach.

Didn't Frank O'Connor say something around that time about how 343 thought Reach was a great game and that weren't "arrogant and stupid enough" to think that it needed to be fixed? I mean that tells you much of what you need to know right there. Quick and dirty fan service. That's it.

Yeah, they certainly decided in a boardroom meeting to make a TU and DLC pack specifically to get people's hopes up, before releasing Failo 4. Because companies intend to release products that fail. This is how it works. Entirely. Your argument's nuts, lol.

While Reach criticism "started" in 2010, the actual TU came out much later, meaning those who worked on it, who I'd guess weren't even working on Halo 4, given Halo's past with legacy teams, worked on it later than that, kinda like Halo 4's turbo update. So it wouldn't have been a true two years out. And also likely wouldn't have been done by the same team. Meaning their first true wiff of potentially understanding something from a community standpoint would've around mid-2011 when it came out. About a year off from gold status, two years deep. Aaaaaaaaand given Reach suffered a decline nowhere near as severe as later Halos did, I don't think 343i felt they had any real reason to dial back. IMO, justifiably. The game certainly wasn't dead at 2010/11, was financially successful as hell, and its reception wasn't inherently negative, or hilariously polarizing. People still played it regardless of the garbage it was.

And I won't take any potential quotes said by him without a citation, lol. Anyone can make someone sound like garbage without actual quotes.

• Thonking (+0) 1

22 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

The Reach title update was poorly communicated in-game. I"m pretty sure they kept all the vanilla shit right at the top of the playlist screen, and the vast majority of randoms who don't hang out on internet forums will just choose their usual Team Slayer or Big Team Battle playlist and be on their way. It's how they operate. They want to play, not analyze the available playlists for 20 minutes. The changes made in the playlists marked 'TU' (but still with bloom) were so negligible that most people who did go out of their way to try it probably didn't even know what the difference was, maybe aside from no longer having total invincibility with armor lock, which many people who hadn't yet given up on Reach probably didn't like.

It honestly didn’t help that they had two types of slayer team slayer and super Slayer(which many randoms didn’t know jack shit what it was), TS was the most popular playlist in reach. If only they just TU’ed the whole game sigh. At least with the match composer We will hopefully have the option for TU only. Im excited for alpha zombies infection because reach infection was lit AF.

1 minute ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Reach release: September 2010

Reach losing population and getting unprecedented criticism for a Halo game, enough for people to take notice: November 2010 at the latest

Halo 4 release: November 2012

You can make all the qualifiers you can think of and cross your eyes in any direction you want, but that's two years. When they started actual work on Reach's title update is irrelevant. They had two years to make sure that the problems plaguing Reach and causing the game/franchise to decline in popularity for the first time, did not plague Halo 4. Instead, they amplified everything that was wrong with Reach. And a population drop turned into a population hemorrhage. Why did this happen? Arrogance and/or stupidity.

Want to know how I know you weren't playing Halo in 2010/11?

Here you go. The "arrogant or stupid" quote is right there, front and center. I don't need to spin anything that guy says to make it sound like garbage, he does a fine job of that on his own.

To add to my former point, Reach broke Halo 3's records, and would've had a potentially higher influx of players coming in. It wouldn't surprise me to then have the game shed more than its predecessors in comparison. But I don't think we'll get anywhere there. And I'm too lazy to begin searching for population counters to go with sales charts that may or may not be reputable to make a hypothetical point.

Second, if only you knew how much I played Halo in 2011. 72 days of Reach, by the way, lmao. What a waste of my LIFE.

Third, fuck. He actually did make the comment. Kinda also feels like a half-dev response, though. Still said, so gucci.

Although, this also kinda fucken' throws me through a loop. Reach's best update may as well have been an accidental home run just to add more functionality. Oof.

53 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

So, it's not so much a crouch strafe as described earlier, as much as it is a "stop strafing to crouch" action, lol.

Also, Halo 4 and Halo 2: Anniversary supported legitimate crouch strafing. 

its not like h2/h3 where there's a window that stops you from crouching and you can crouch into run and ce has a good accel speed. and its still like a good mix up so i say it counts!

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

To add to my former point, Reach broke Halo 3's records, and would've had a potentially higher influx of players coming in. It wouldn't surprise me to then have the game shed more than its predecessors in comparison. But I don't think we'll get anywhere there. And I'm too lazy to begin searching for population counters to go with sales charts that may or may not be reputable to make a hypothetical point.

What records, sales records? A bunch more people bought the game at launch (before they could possibly know that it sucked) after Halo 3 was the most popular game on Xbox Live for pretty much its entire life cycle, and Halo had about as much credibility as a franchise could possibly have as a fun online first person shooter for gamers of all shapes and sizes? Well, we can take that right to the bank, can't we. If that's your barometer of popularity, Halo 4 was the best, most well-received game in the series, since all that matters is a record number of people bought it, not that 95% of them dropped it like a hunk of wet dog shit after they realized they blew $60 on Call of Duty: Blue Holographic Tits edition.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Larry Sizemore said:

What records, sales records? A bunch more people bought the game at launch (before they could possibly know that it sucked) after Halo 3 was the most popular game on Xbox Live for pretty much its entire life cycle? Well, we can take that right to the bank, can't we. If that's your barometer of popularity, Halo 4 was the best, most well-received game in the series, since all that matters is a record number of people bought it, not that 90% of them dropped it like a hunk of wet dog shit after they realized they blew $60 on Call of Duty: Blue Holographic Tits edition.

I'm only using the barometer of sales figures and the potential popularity therein to hypothesize how one in a company-based position would perceive a drop in population. I just said at the time it was the most popular (For a brief time) and that the shedding of players being more numerous in comparison wouldn't be much of a tip off realistically. As you get a bigger fandom, your potential losses also increase, as we saw later in 2012/13. Especially when you're still supporting a much loved game that people flock to, and other games come out alongside them. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

we only have the population ranks and halo reach lost to cod the majority of the first year it released meanwhile halo 3 was #1 2+ years after release, for the majority of 2008, about half of 2009, and rarely in 2010. reach fell to 3rd and sat behind latest cod and 2nd latest cod  then gta 

p.s. fuck nelson for deleting every single weekly thread. 

Reach maintained like 70% of halo 3s average pop until h4 came out from what I remember. 343 wasn't entirely stupid to follow it's trend in some ways, although I will not forgive all the extra shit they added like perks and custom loadouts rather than pre set ones. Sprint being made universal, while stupid, was somewhat understandable given how much it was used in reach over other AAs. They drew one of two possible conclusions from reach when it came to that. 

• Like (+1) 1

legend crouch stafes at 5:55, mcdick does it at 6:34, legend at 8:02, legend at 14:44 in the same video: 

8:30 is an example of the magic of ce: 1 team has 1 OS player the other camo rockets. They both know where the other team is hiding. Yet the other team is able to make a huge play to kill camo rocket guy because of good shots and good awareness. He saw camo guy back down to red 1 so he was ready to look from the bottom to catch camo. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I will not forgive all the extra shit they added like perks and custom loadouts rather than pre set ones. 

I will praise them for this until the day I die.

• Heavy Breathing (+1) 1
  • WutFace (+0) 10

2 hours ago, Exidrion said:

I've never seen anyone crouch mid fight in Halo: CE ever. 

I find that really hard to believe unless you only play CE with people who run around with ARs out and flashlights on

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Simms (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I will praise them for this until the day I die.

Listen i know weed is legal up there and everything but you gotta slow the freak down.

• Like (+1) 6

10 hours ago, Gold said:

I think it should be free for those who already own it on xbox one. 

I think I like you.

Anyone who stuck with MCC for 5 years is entitled to that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

If anyone here likes reach, 343 needs to know that TU above all else must be a priority. That game cannot release without it! Hells just TU the whole damn game! 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Shekkles said:

100% of gamers can see the difference between 4k and 1440p on a PC screen. It's a massive difference in clarity.

Most gamers don't go 4K because 1440p is cheaper and provides higher fps.

viewingdistanceresolutioncomparison.jpg

Now I'm not saying you can't tell the difference if you're leaning in a foot from the screen, or that you can't tell if you're standing still in a game just staring at a beautiful landscape. But if there's a lot of motion, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between 1440p and 4k. Framerate is far more important to visual clarity. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ChieftaiNZ said:

Most PC gamer's agree anything above 144FPS is redundant. 144FPS is about the highest you can go with an obvious difference in smoothness. Anything above is just icing on the cake.

I agree with this if we're talking the difference between 144 and 240. It's not going to be hugely noticeable and the higher you go the less noticeable the difference will be of a single fps. However the difference between 144 fps and 1000 fps would definitely be noticeable. The higher the better, as our eyes don't see in frames.

The same thing doesn't hold true for resolution, anything above 4k is a complete waste in 99% of use scenarios for gaming. That's why unlocked framerate is important for the longevity of MCC imo. Especially because H1-3 probably run at like 1000 fps on capable PCs already lol. Just need monitor technology to catch up. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Here you go. The "arrogant or stupid" quote is right there, front and center. I don't need to spin anything that guy says to make it sound like garbage, he does a fine job of that on his own.

Holy shit dude. I cannot believe the fucking balls on this guy.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Lazer said:

Wasn't a big issue with forge maps framerate plummeting with certain items on map/too much of? And a lot of corners needed to be cut, or clever ways around the issue figured out?

Or was that something else? Forgive me, Im going on memories from years ago that I vaguely remember. In any case, does PC help this or no?

Well....yes and no lol.

Having a high tier PC to run Forge PC (which still runs like shit may I add) doesn't mean much when you're still playing the game on console.  Especially because there's no crossplay of the sort so you're constrained to the PC user base which is....nonexistent.  You're more than welcome to use your 2080 TI and forge the map of your dreams using nothing but trees and pretend like all is well, but everyone in console-land is chugging alone the powerpoint slide show meanwhile. It's good for taking screenshots and advertising your forge maps on your professional portfolio I guess lmao I tried taking screenshots of my Black Ops 4 maps for my portfolio the other day and the xbox resolution is so low they're borderline unusable.  

But perf issues are literally always an issue for any game on any platform ever, it's always a balancing act.