CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Its been so long but wasn't the ce and h2 versions on mcc xbox not even the og versions? So what version are we getting on pc?

Also wasnt h3 not even the same? Or maybe that was just all the bugs if i remember correctly?

• Like (+1) 1

This is potentially awesome news, but given that we are still dealing with 343 I can think of hundreds of ways this can go wrong. The fact that CE and H2 still play like ass, that they were too lazy to add ODST Firefight and their history with TU Reach and being adamant on catering to fans of vanilla Reach makes me worried. Mod support is also mostly wishful thinking in today's gaming landscape. 

Also I really hope we'll finally get the real armor customization back and they add a solid progression system. 

• Like (+1) 3

Having seen this Forge question yet - 

I'm not into Forge - so i'm not sure how it will work - but is the move to PC a big deal for that community (for the MCC games)?  I feel like I heard it was a major win for the H5 Forge community when that launched for that game.

Personally I'm very excited for Reach Firefight...I can only pray they have a matchmaking option for it like they did in Reach.

The most frustrating part for me is that this port robbed time that could have been spent on actually making the games play better. I have no idea how long they will continue to keep people working on mcc. It would not surprise me if after the games have been made to work as well as on the xbox that they call it quits.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Thonking (+0) 1

5 hours ago, Lazer said:

Its been so long but wasn't the ce and h2 versions on mcc xbox not even the og versions? So what version are we getting on pc?

Also wasnt h3 not even the same? Or maybe that was just all the bugs if i remember correctly?

Yup.  CE & H2 players are literally about to get a port, of a port, of a port of games that released over a decade ago...

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Cujjer said:

The most frustrating part for me is that this port robbed time that could have been spent on actually making the games play better. I have no idea how long they will continue to keep people working on mcc. It would not surprise me if after the games have been made to work as well as on the xbox that they call it quits.

Maybe if you watched one of their press briefings you’d know this is a specific team that works on mcc ONLY. It’s just a small team.

1 hour ago, Cujjer said:

We don't know how much of the PC port is being worked on in-house. The Steam page lists 2 other developers helping port the games over.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm told there are some very good playlist changes coming today. Ones I've wanted for a long time. I'm excited :)

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bemidji21 said:

Having seen this Forge question yet - 

I'm not into Forge - so i'm not sure how it will work - but is the move to PC a big deal for that community (for the MCC games)?  I feel like I heard it was a major win for the H5 Forge community when that launched for that game.

Personally I'm very excited for Reach Firefight...I can only pray they have a matchmaking option for it like they did in Reach.

Halo 5 Forge on PC was.....cool. That's about it lol.  You had to get a mod just to change the FOV, the smallest amount of tweaks to framerate would break the game physics (gg programmers).  MCC will be no different, especially for the more classic forge you find on the older Halo's, the additional horsepower through a PC makes effectively 0 difference. The only time this would ever be handy with any iteration of forge, is when it came to grouping an entire map (1600 objects) and saving it as a prefab to move to a different canvas. Would crash/ destroy console perf, so you'd have to resort to finding someone with a good PC to do it for you.

Otherwise, no difference.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Maybe if you watched one of their press briefings you’d know this is a specific team that works on mcc ONLY. It’s just a small team.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

13 hours ago, Larry Sizemore said:

It was, which is why it would be peak 343 to leave it out of MCC. They clearly didn't believe in that title update and were just offering cheap fan service, otherwise they wouldn't have taken Halo 4 in the direction that they did and killed all the momentum they created by fixing Reach.

Certain Affinity did Halo 4's MP segment partially, likely due to outsourcing (AFAIK), and the fact 343i made the Reach TU, and we in turn got Halo 4 doesn't mean that at all, lol. Given Halo 4 had been in development since 2009, and the TU came out mid-2011, with Halo 4 being launched the next year, I'd be willing to bet every major decision that would've been made regarding how 4 turned out was made, and irreversible barring a large delay. Would've had to have been. Although things from the TU did carry over, like the lack of general bloom.

If modding becomes a thing I bet someone will retool the older Forges to be a little more advanced. Just look at what El Dewrito did to H3's Forge.

4 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

If modding becomes a thing I bet someone will retool the older Forges to be a little more advanced. Just look at what El Dewrito did to H3's Forge.

Would be great if they just buffed 3's up to Reach/4/2A standards. Which doesn't feel too hard on a conceptual level. Tuning how you turn objects and whatnot. Even if I wouldn't use it, it'd do wonders in making forging easier for players.

2 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Which doesn't feel too hard on a conceptual level. 

Programmer's famous last words lmao.  

It would be a decent amount of work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Just now, MultiLockOn said:

Programmer's famous last words lmao.  

It would be a decent amount of work.

Yeah, as soon as the words came out onto the screen, I had hardcore coding flashbacks.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Halo 5 Forge on PC was.....cool. That's about it lol.  You had to get a mod just to change the FOV, the smallest amount of tweaks to framerate would break the game physics (gg programmers).  MCC will be no different, especially for the more classic forge you find on the older Halo's, the additional horsepower through a PC makes effectively 0 difference. The only time this would ever be handy with any iteration of forge, is when it came to grouping an entire map (1600 objects) and saving it as a prefab to move to a different canvas. Would crash/ destroy console perf, so you'd have to resort to finding someone with a good PC to do it for you.

Otherwise, no difference.

Wasn't a big issue with forge maps framerate plummeting with certain items on map/too much of? And a lot of corners needed to be cut, or clever ways around the issue figured out?

Or was that something else? Forgive me, Im going on memories from years ago that I vaguely remember. In any case, does PC help this or no?

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Certain Affinity did Halo 4's MP segment partially, likely due to outsourcing (AFAIK), and the fact 343i made the Reach TU, and we in turn got Halo 4 doesn't mean that at all, lol. Given Halo 4 had been in development since 2009, and the TU came out mid-2011, with Halo 4 being launched the next year, I'd be willing to bet every major decision that would've been made regarding how 4 turned out was made, and irreversible barring a large delay. Would've had to have been. Although things from the TU did carry over, like the lack of general bloom.

I'm willing to bet that by 2009, halo 4 looked entirely different. By 2011 though they likely had most of the framework mapped out and that whoever made the TU for reach didn't work on halo 4.

7 hours ago, Cujjer said:

You do realize they probably wouldn't have even bothered fixing up MCC at all if PC and Xbox One X sales weren't there to recoup the costs, right? 

16 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Yeah the fact he’s tweaking shit and can’t hit that consistent 120+ frames says something. 2080TI, yeah most don’t have that GPU.

You literally said NO PC can run at 144fps. Now you say most don't have a 2080ti, which is true right now, but within 5 years most pc gamers will have something equivalent in power. 

And nobody smart puts every setting to Ultra on PC. Like for instance with 4k resolution you can just turn anti aliasing off with almost no visual difference.

I have a midtier GPU and I can hit 100 FPS in most games in 1440p (most pc gamers don't go higher than 1440p because your eye literally can't tell the difference depending on screen size and viewing distance, framerate is way more important). So yeah it's not unreasonable to want higher framerates as an option. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I literally run Doom at 200 on 1440p lol.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

So who's playing MCC on PC with a controller ? 

Me.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Gold said:

So who's playing MCC on PC with a controller ? 

Me.

Really curious how they're gonna handle this. Separate people by platform or by input device? Give controllers aim assist but not mkb? This won't work in games like H3 and CE because they don't have that high AA, H2 and H4 can probably be balanced like that.

• Thonking (+0) 1