FREE AUGUST TOURNAMENTS 

APEX LEGENDSROCKET LEAGUE

CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

59 minutes ago, Mr Grim said:

I'm confused what's the actual issue here?

A shot I missed by a wide margin hit in Halo 3, I mocked the ease of use of the sniper, it's being blamed on lag, I disagree. Basically it.

3 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

A shot I missed by a wide margin hit in Halo 3, I mocked the ease of use of the sniper, it's being blamed on lag, I disagree. Basically it.

That is pretty suspect, yeah. Lag may be at play but then again what do we know of the magnetism values in MCC h3 vs the original? 

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

So my screen is largely unaffected by the lag that is somehow tangibly there that has two people immediately dying to shots I put into them as if lag didn't exist there.

I can have perfectly fine connection and still hit a bloodshot every now and again. Netcode isn't perfect for a 12 year old game that is being doctored to work on a modern console.

If you can get these result consistently on LAN then its something worth looking into. Hitting a shot you know shouldn't have connected isn't something new to 2019.

14 minutes ago, Nokt said:

I can have perfectly fine connection and still hit a bloodshot every now and again. Netcode isn't perfect for a 12 year old game that is being doctored to work on a modern console.

If you can get these result consistently on LAN then its something worth looking into. Hitting a shot you know shouldn't have connected isn't something new to 2019.

I know it's not new, lol.  But like the BR's inconsistency I don't think we need a LAN to see the weapon isn't really hard to use, even past the shots I whiff that will hit. My prior thing was mostly just a snarky jab, given I know online's fallibility, but my main point still remains.

1 hour ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I know it's not new, lol.  But like the BR's inconsistency I don't think we need a LAN to see the weapon isn't really hard to use, even past the shots I whiff that will hit. My prior thing was mostly just a snarky jab, given I know online's fallibility, but my main point still remains.

What’s the argument for it being hard to use? It definitely is “harder” to use. Single scope is 5x, compared to the BR’s 2x. Meaning descope plays a much larger role in snipers use. It’s reticule is less than half the size of any weapon I can really think of off the top of my head. How much harder it is to use it up for debate. 

I’m going to venture a guess by the score, the fact that the first player stops moving after being shot and that he only landed 1 shot on you that these players aren’t very good. Any half decent player can connect shots on easy opponents.

19 minutes ago, Nokt said:

What’s the argument for it being hard to use? It definitely is “harder” to use. Single scope is 5x, compared to the BR’s 2x. Meaning descope plays a much larger role in snipers use. It’s reticule is less than half the size of any weapon I can really think of off the top of my head. How much harder it is to use it up for debate. 

I’m going to venture a guess by the score, the fact that the first player stops moving after being shot and that he only landed 1 shot on you that these players aren’t very good. Any half decent player can connect shots on easy opponents.

Nah, this isn't the only thing I'm basing it on. The clip I posted was mainly to show that you can just whiff shots on people and hit. Not that it's easy in general against these obviously unskilled people, and this is the definitive nail proving it. 

The reticle is small, yeah, but still can cover the entire body of someone at a range, and facepainting with it is super easy, and oddly generous. Descoping is a factor but the BR's inefficiency at range decreases it's effectiveness the further out you get with the sniper's range. I'll be honest, as I said in another post a while back, it really is something you'd feel and play with over describe on paper. On paper you'd think the small reticle, prereq of leading, and BR's "ease" of use in comparison would balance the two out, but they reaaaally do not. 

26 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Except that even in pro games snipe is insanely dominant. Even with someone actively contesting you if you're past 20 feet shots stop connecting reliably. 

Also, that's the point. It's easy to hit shots on people that aren't contesting you. You're always gonna have enemies that aren't actively shooting at you and landing shots on them isn't hard in the slightest. Snipe is probably more dominant as a weapon overall in h3 than h5. Just look at how hard people can spawn trap on Narrows and Pit. 

You hit a weird shot in Halo 3 that looked like it shouldn't have hit. Shocker! 

Can't help but feel this entire conversation is just more unproductive hate on H3 that gets nowhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 8

I gotta admit the sniper in h3 is too effective at range, simply because contesting it is near impossible. This is why I like the dmr. That long range makes it so the snipe isn’t op. Even in h5 there’s times where outside the red reticule range itd be very difficult to hit/descope your opponent. 

Did they change CE?

Shots seem to hit way easier.  People are hitting 3's on me like it's nothing, and I've hit some pretty questionable 3's myself.

2 hours ago, logicalstrafe said:

Can't help but feel this entire conversation is just more unproductive hate on H3 that gets nowhere.

Rarely happens in Halo 3, but happens all the time in Halo 5. The hate is coming from Halo 5 lovers, a game that isn't 1/10th as good as Halo 3.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Rick said:

Did they change CE?

I haven't played in a week and all of a sudden the guns and reticle look larger, and the jumping doesn't seem to be delayed.

Also, shots seem to hit way easier.

I don't think so. Weirdly I've had the opposite experience. Gun absolutely will not work. They said they did something about low quality connections and bullet reg with them being fixed, but I doubt it had any huge impact like that.

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I gotta admit the sniper in h3 is too effective at range, simply because contesting it is near impossible. This is why I like the dmr. That long range makes it so the snipe isn’t op. Even in h5 there’s times where outside the red reticule range itd be very difficult to hit/descope your opponent. 

I'd say the same, but you can also fix it by having a harder snipe. Granted, DMR for life. Or the pistol at least, but making the sniper hard should be numero uno priority. 

2 hours ago, logicalstrafe said:

As I said before, it was mostly cheeky. I put effort into the cheek, lmao. Wasn't actually meant to spawn a discussion.

20 minutes ago, Brad Pitt said:

Rarely happens in Halo 3, but happens all the time in Halo 5. The hate is coming from Halo 5 lovers, a game that isn't 1/10th as good as Halo 3.

If you were a fish, you'd be dead.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don't think so. Weirdly I've had the opposite experience. Gun absolutely will not work. They said they did something about low quality connections and bullet reg with them being fixed, but I doubt it had any huge impact like that.

I'd say the same, but you can also fix it by having a harder snipe. Granted, DMR for life. Or the pistol at least, but making the sniper hard should be numero uno priority. 

As I said before, it was mostly cheeky. I put effort into the cheek, lmao. Wasn't actually meant to spawn a discussion.

If you were a fish, you'd be dead.

Harder snipe, yeah not happening. Halo isn’t big on giving us bullet drop snipers(this isn’t pubg or Fortnite) halos hardest sniper is the h3 sniper and that doesn’t say much these days. Removing aim assist completely is out of the question as well(this is a console shooter may I remind you), what needs to happen is a strong utility and the dmr honestly fits that description perfectly. The aim assist could be lowered but I don’t know the aim assist values so I can’t sum up how much. H3 sniper does a good job of not being a auto aim lock on sniper at the very least.

35 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Harder snipe, yeah not happening. Halo isn’t big on giving us bullet drop snipers(this isn’t pubg or Fortnite) halos hardest sniper is the h3 sniper and that doesn’t say much these days. Removing aim assist completely is out of the question as well(this is a console shooter may I remind you), what needs to happen is a strong utility and the dmr honestly fits that description perfectly. The aim assist could be lowered but I don’t know the aim assist values so I can’t sum up how much. H3 sniper does a good job of not being a auto aim lock on sniper at the very least.

Removing aim assist should've been done long ago. You can absolutely still snipe without it as seen with no scopes and sniping at teammates. It makes you one shot with a single bullet even just bodying people will still make it dominant. Cod has had no aim assist on snipes in multiple titles and it's been more the fine. Not to mention scoping in lowers your sens a ton so it's still not nearly as hard to do as you think. 

40 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I don't even want bullet drop, those mechanics are worse, and serve to make something potentially intuitive, clunky and more prone to unavoidable bullshit like someone outwalking your bullet. I just want a no magnetism, really low aim assist (If none at all) sniper rifle. Slow fire rate, but high kill potential. It already one shots your shields away without a headshot. And it does so easily. Make it dramatically harder. 

Halo 3's won't auto lock onto someone's head, but the actual bullet hitting someone is something special. Be it wide hitboxes, or higher magnetism than we think, or a mix of both, it just makes it easy to use in general.

4 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Nah, this isn't the only thing I'm basing it on. The clip I posted was mainly to show that you can just whiff shots on people and hit. Not that it's easy in general against these obviously unskilled people, and this is the definitive nail proving it. 

The reticle is small, yeah, but still can cover the entire body of someone at a range, and facepainting with it is super easy, and oddly generous. Descoping is a factor but the BR's inefficiency at range decreases it's effectiveness the further out you get with the sniper's range. I'll be honest, as I said in another post a while back, it really is something you'd feel and play with over describe on paper. On paper you'd think the small reticle, prereq of leading, and BR's "ease" of use in comparison would balance the two out, but they reaaaally do not. 

You can whiff shots in just about any game in general and eventually hit someone. I'd be willing to bet that the amount of shots you miss is massively larger than you shots you connect. Whats the point?

4 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Except that even in pro games snipe is insanely dominant. Even with someone actively contesting you if you're past 20 feet shots stop connecting reliably. 

Also, that's the point. It's easy to hit shots on people that aren't contesting you. You're always gonna have enemies that aren't actively shooting at you and landing shots on them isn't hard in the slightest. Snipe is probably more dominant as a weapon overall in h3 than h5. Just look at how hard people can spawn trap on Narrows and Pit.  

You've both stated the obvious problems with Halo 3. Weapon pool is at an all time low. The BR/Carbine can't really contest the sniper at any range except short ranges, maybe mid if you're dealing with LAN. This is more an issue with the weapon pool than it is the sniper.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

halos hardest sniper is the h3 sniper and that doesn’t say much these days

OG Halo 1 sniper is way harder to use, not only mechanically but because it can also be contested by the pistol.

• Upvote (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Nokt said:

You can whiff shots in just about any game in general and eventually hit someone. I'd be willing to bet that the amount of shots you miss is massively larger than you shots you connect. Whats the point?

You've both stated the obvious problems with Halo 3. Weapon pool is at an all time low. The BR/Carbine can't really contest the sniper at any range except short ranges, maybe mid if you're dealing with LAN. This is more an issue with the weapon pool than it is the sniper.

Yea and what's easier fixing everything or fixing one thing? Halo 3 is just being talked about because it's the supposed hardest one to use. Just arguing that it's not nearly as hard as some people say. Snipe has been notoriously easy forever but other games also have pretty easy utility weapons to help even it out. H3 is just all outta whack. 

9 hours ago, logicalstrafe said:

OG Halo 1 sniper is way harder to use, not only mechanically but because it can also be contested by the pistol.

It’s close. The 2x and the rate of fire make bodying easier. But the no scopes being almost impossible, the head hitbox being pretty small, and the strength of the pistol  make it harder.

I guess you could say H1 has the hardest sniper after you’ve been seen. H3 has the hardest sniper before you’ve been seen.

Riddler/oh4's post explains exactly what is happening in that clip imo. I thought this was a relatively common thing in just about all online shooters. It's common to be shot around a corner without lag from black ops 2 to Shadowrun with no visible lag... because that's how lag compensation works.

It's weird to go to h3 events and watch tons of gameplay back when it was on the circuit and see more people miss than land shots. Even top pros it seemed like there were some exceptions but all those top 16/32 players would miss more than they'd hit. I wonder what's different now.

The only hard things in H3 are finding good maps, killing people more than 10 ft away with the BR, and enjoying the gameplay.

• Upvote (+1) 1

5 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Yea and what's easier fixing everything or fixing one thing? Halo 3 is just being talked about because it's the supposed hardest one to use. Just arguing that it's not nearly as hard as some people say. Snipe has been notoriously easy forever but other games also have pretty easy utility weapons to help even it out. H3 is just all outta whack.  

Why do I care whats easier, I want whats better. Nerfing the one fun/skillful gun to use in Halo 3 is just going to make the weapon pool even worse, not more enjoyable. I don't think anyone is really arguing that its nigh impossible to land shots with the H3 sniper, just that its more difficult than H2/4/5's high magnetism snipers. It actually takes some consistency and better aim.

No gun in Halo is that hard to aim. Everything has generous hitboxes, aim assist, and reticules probably due to the fact that its designed around analogs. Both sides of this argument are making it seem like the sniper takes a generous amount of skill to use and adversely that a sniper is just free kills because of how easy it is. Neither are remotely true.

Have you guys ever considered that you might just be good at aiming?

• Upvote (+1) 2

18 hours ago, My Namez BEAST said:

Removing aim assist should've been done long ago. You can absolutely still snipe without it as seen with no scopes and sniping at teammates. It makes you one shot with a single bullet even just bodying people will still make it dominant. Cod has had no aim assist on snipes in multiple titles and it's been more the fine. Not to mention scoping in lowers your sens a ton so it's still not nearly as hard to do as you think. 

There’s harder snipe than complete bullshit difficulty. Aim assist is NEEDED you moron. No AA in cod doesn’t do much when there’s ADS