CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

20 minutes ago, Landonio said:

Zealot is one of the most overrated maps in Halo history, along with Haven and any other boring, uncreative map with large outer rings and/or long hallways. I still yet to see what is "good" about that. They were designed for sprint and other abilities and play "meh" at best without them.

Simplicity, man. They work super well for simple maps and flow well. With a good emphasis towards mid map movement. Haven's super gucci for it, and old Zealot was kinda good with the space lifts, could be better though. They'd downscale for older Halos just fine.

Ah reach. Where the only two acceptable maps were double donut and triple donut. 

I hate lifts. They shouldnt make sounds as you are a “floating” duck while using them so ur already punished plus you know where the opponent is. With sound, it just makes it impossible to flank with it. With sound id prefer for every lift just to be a teleporter

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Halo reach v7 ffa had the grenade launcher, and it’s ffa was great. In fact I’d go as far to state it’s ffa is the best because zealot was really good for ffa.

Grenade Launcher was on the low end of "power weapons" so sure lol. It's when you start adding stuff like sniper, rail gun, rocket launchers, shotguns, etc where it starts to get stupid -- especially being in a setting attempting to challenge a power weapon and you're just getting shot in the back.

I was with you until you said the it was the best though.. v7 was "pretty good" at best. In no way shape or form did it top Halo 2 FFA. Especially since Reach's claim to fame when it came to FFA was the Bic Flex 4 booths we used to have lol.

Yeah the ol thumper is really the least offensive PW you could put in FFA and that's really because shit can go sideways for you very quickly when using it. When things go sideways and you have rockets you're more likely to still get another kill which is pretty dumb.

5 hours ago, Landonio said:

Zealot is one of the most overrated maps in Halo history, along with Haven and any other boring, uncreative map with large outer rings and/or long hallways. I still yet to see what is "good" about that. They were designed for sprint and other abilities and play "meh" at best without them.

No halo reach or halo 4 map is overrated. No one likes them from my understanding.  

• Like (+1) 2

Is anyone else having issues with the “time remaining” setting for the h1 timer? Time elapsed works fine but time remaining doesn’t show at all for me. I use my own timer...but I was wondering what was up with that specific setting. 

1 hour ago, AkaDemiK said:

Is anyone else having issues with the “time remaining” setting for the h1 timer? Time elapsed works fine but time remaining doesn’t show at all for me. I use my own timer...but I was wondering what was up with that specific setting. 

If there is no time limit then no timer shows up for time remaining as the game doesnt have a finishing time. Its the same for every halo game

• Upvote (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gold said:

No halo reach or halo 4 map is overrated. No one likes them from my understanding.  

I think he means that Zealot, Haven and Countdown stick out of the sea of horseshit maps in those games so people act like they are actually good maps even when compared to the greater maps of the OG trilogy. Which they aren't. They're not Sword Base or Pegasus levels of awful by any means but they are oh so mediocre.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Upvote (+1) 2
  • Fire (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Basu said:

I think he means that Zealot, Haven and Countdown stick out of the sea of horseshit maps in those games so people act like they are actually good maps even when compared to the greater maps of the OG trilogy. Which they aren't. They're not Sword Base or Pegasus levels of awful by any means but they are oh so mediocre.

bingo

2 hours ago, Basu said:

I always liked countdown, the map clearly worked a 100 times better without sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When the current generation of casual halo players think the game is better with sprint, and the current generation of competitive halo players think countdown and zealot are good maps. 

#haloisdead

• Downvote (-1) 1

1 hour ago, Gold said:

I always liked countdown, the map clearly worked a 100 times better without sprint.

Countdown is one of the few maps from Reach or 4 I actually didn't hate. Definitely one of the best maps from both games.

I feel the same way about Abandon too, but I feel like everyone despises that map. I honestly preferred it to Haven.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand how anyone could like Countdown, therefore they can't. There I said it.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PolyG said:

I don't understand how anyone could like Countdown, therefore they can't. There I said it.

So did you just suck at playing the map or what? 

5 minutes ago, Gobias said:

Isn’t it trendy to like Powerhouse from Reach?

I liked it. Fight me.

21 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I think you’re thinking more or less of aim assist, because that’s what needs to be nerfed.

17 hours ago, theslatcher said:

Yes it would lol, auto aim just helps you aim(in h2a it's pretty snappy, which I personally dislike, feels pretty stale imo).

In Halo, the devs call aim assist—friction (red reticle) and snapping—“magnetism.” They call bullet magnetism “auto aim.” Imo lots of aim assist in a console game is fine, it just helps bad players get mostly on target, which is good enough against other bad players who can’t strafe. The problem is that getting mostly on target is already super easy for experienced players even on opponents with a killer strafe, so having too much bullet magnetism makes it effortless and uninteresting. But normal aim assist doesn’t give you free shots on a good strafe if done right.

Ideally you would have a small amount of bullet magnetism at long range so your utility weapon can still threaten to punish, but have the bullet magnetism decrease to zero up close since it’s harder to run away from a close-quarters engagement.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Gobias said:

In Halo, the devs call aim assist—friction (red reticle) and snapping—“magnetism.” They call bullet magnetism “auto aim.” Imo lots of aim assist in a console game is fine, it just helps bad players get mostly on target, which is good enough against other bad players who can’t strafe. The problem is that getting mostly on target is already super easy for experienced players even on opponents with a killer strafe, so having too much bullet magnetism makes it effortless and uninteresting. But normal aim assist doesn’t give you free shots on a good strafe if done right.

Ideally you would have a small amount of bullet magnetism at long range so your utility weapon can still threaten to punish, but have the bullet magnetism decrease to zero up close since it’s harder to run away from a close-quarters engagement.

Hmmm interesting. Then I say we need reach level of bullet mag. That wasn’t high. 

7 hours ago, Basu said:

I mean, if we're gonna go by "greater maps", I.E: what was in a comp rotation, Haven literally stands up there with Sanc, Fathom, the like, lol. Especially when Extraction was brought in. Although, comp maps are also kinda subjective when shit like Narrows, and Construct somehow shared space with them. Yeesh. I could go on, but "greater" is nebulous, and I'll just assume it means the ones "good enough" (Loose use given Halo 3, lmao) to be on a circuit. 

What makes Haven so mediocre when it does its job well. It has good map flow, a lack of dumb, extraneous lanes, meaning finding someone isn't an issue, has some interesting jumps, and a predictable pattern of engagement, with some deviation. So it isn't a mess to walk around. 

I'd probably like Haven if it was downscaled, but I guess we'll never know. To me, Haven is the least-stinky shit out of all the other shitty maps in H4.

Going back, being v7's self-proclaimed biggest fan, I can confidently say Zealot was ok at best. I don't hate it by any means, but its ring-around-the-rosey with the occasional flank from mid does get a bit stale after playing the map excessively. Notice how I said excessively. If it comes up once or twice in a session between other maps it's actually pretty enjoyable.

v7's map pool was honestly fun as Hell. Aside from Penance, every other map offered a good experience. Countdown, Zealot, and Nexus were solid new entries while the rest (Battle Canyon, Sanctuary, and Pit) were remakes of already great maps. Previous versions also had some notable originals like Oasis and Element.

The only things missing IMO were Ball and Powerhouse in place of Penance. You could also push for Bomb, but I can easily settle for 4 modes. Really wish v8 wasn't cancelled.

28 minutes ago, HeX Reapers said:

I'd probably like Haven if it was downscaled, but I guess we'll never know. To me, Haven is the least-stinky shit out of all the other shitty maps in H4.

Going back, being v7's self-proclaimed biggest fan, I can confidently say Zealot was ok at best. I don't hate it by any means, but its ring-around-the-rosey with the occasional flank from mid does get a bit stale after playing the map excessively. Notice how I said excessively. If it comes up once or twice in a session between other maps it's actually pretty enjoyable.

v7's map pool was honestly fun as Hell. Aside from Penance, every other map offered a good experience. Countdown, Zealot, and Nexus were solid new entries while the rest (Battle Canyon, Sanctuary, and Pit) were remakes of already great maps. Previous versions also had some notable originals like Oasis and Element.

The only things missing IMO were Ball and Powerhouse in place of Penance. You could also push for Bomb, but I can easily settle for 4 modes. Really wish v8 wasn't cancelled.

Do you really think powerhouse could work with v7 settings? If anything penance be better for oddball. 

24 minutes ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Do you really think powerhouse could work with v7 settings? If anything penance be better for oddball. 

As far as I know it was one of the most tested maps going forward before cancellation. Powerhouse's primary mode was KotH, which played great from what I remember. I think its biggest problem was the spawning or something. Ball never got back in because none of the mainstays played it well. It might have salvaged Penance but like the Haven thing we'll probably never know.