CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

As far as snowballing goes it absolutely doesn't help when you are able to fly across the map to collapse on players or fly to power weapons that are easy to use. What I can't seem to understand though is this notion that any power weapon or item picked up at any time in any game is never earned. Then when it is used against your team it is considered easy cheap and no skill. That player doesn't deserve it etc. These are not ordnance drops or things that are given out randomly. It's fine if you don't want to use them and enjoy using a different gun but I can't imagine myself letting the other team get every single item and then blame the game.

@-DeucEy-

Regarding Tour De Walsh; The only version that gets a pass for me is Halo 2 Classic. That's mostly because of the button glitches though. FFA on its own wasn't really ever my thing past Halo 2. The aim assist is generous but the ability to quad shot and bxr multiple people made it a more enjoyable experience than playing a H2A game where you have pretty much no individual power.

I do think that for FFA it's best to keep it equal starts with no power weapons for all the Halo FFA's but that plays much differently than a 4v4 game. 

• Like (+1) 1

It would be nice if they patched H2A’s BR and Sniper. That level of bullet magnetism is simply unnecessary in this day and age. But I’ve been saying so since summer 2014.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gobias said:

It would be nice if they patched H2A’s BR and Sniper. That level of bullet magnetism is simply unnecessary in this day and age. But I’ve been saying so since summer 2014.

I think you’re thinking more or less of aim assist, because that’s what needs to be nerfed.

6 hours ago, Ethereal Nights said:

I don't care how H5 plays with or without power weapons/power ups, because it's still trash regardless. The movement system is an absolute dumpster fire, even with its skill gap. H5 committed the cardinal sin of letting a mechanic outside of Guns, Grenades, and Melee disrupt them. If I can't shoot my weapon 100% of the time outside of throwing nades and using melee, then the game has a major core issue. H5 is filled with this type of shit. It's not even just the movement system. When you pick up power ups, you have to see the animation, which is a waste of time. But if you ask 343, it's all in the name of "immersion". That's just one of many issues the game has.

Muh golden triangle.™

Although, I find the power up argument kinda funny when it's just an alt method of burning it and actually does push for some thought in your play. Both for when to push and when to grab it. since you're vulnerable while doing so. Since it's your choice to. Muh agency. Not decided by your proximity to it. Has enabled quite a few jukes over accidentally clipping the damn thing and wasting it.

2 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

I think you’re thinking more or less of aim assist, because that’s what needs to be nerfed.

c7NJRa2.gif

3 hours ago, Teapot said:

Regarding Tour De Walsh; The only version that gets a pass for me is Halo 2 Classic. That's mostly because of the button glitches though. FFA on its own wasn't really ever my thing past Halo 2. The aim assist is generous but the ability to quad shot and bxr multiple people made it a more enjoyable experience than playing a H2A game where you have pretty much no individual power.

I do think that for FFA it's best to keep it equal starts with no power weapons for all the Halo FFA's but that plays much differently than a 4v4 game. 

I don't necessarily disagree, but the Tour de Walsh was just an example though. There are examples of other maps that were played, more or less, without power weapons in the competitive circuit without power weapons and they played great as well -- i.e. Onslaught, Amplified, and Heretic for example. I don't think I was really responding to the aim assist conversation and stuff like that, I was strictly talking about maps without power weapons being viable.

FFA with power weapons would be stupid lol, in any of the games. I was just kind outlining the point that maps can play without power weapons.

To go on record, I prefer playing competitive games with power weapons. Fortunately with the nature of Halo, there are multiple ways to play and that's really the crux of the argument here. Because there is no "better" aside from preference (except SMG start and shields on Epitaph - because fuck that).

26 minutes ago, -DeucEy- said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but the Tour de Walsh was just an example though. There are examples of other maps that were played, more or less, without power weapons in the competitive circuit without power weapons and they played great as well -- i.e. Onslaught, Amplified, and Heretic for example. I don't think I was really responding to the aim assist conversation and stuff like that, I was strictly talking about maps without power weapons being viable.

FFA with power weapons would be stupid lol, in any of the games. I was just kind outlining the point that maps can play without power weapons.

To go on record, I prefer playing competitive games with power weapons. Fortunately with the nature of Halo, there are multiple ways to play and that's really the crux of the argument here. Because there is no "better" aside from preference (except SMG start and shields on Epitaph - because fuck that).

Halo reach v7 ffa had the grenade launcher, and it’s ffa was great. In fact I’d go as far to state it’s ffa is the best because zealot was really good for ffa.

25 minutes ago, -DeucEy- said:

FFA with power weapons would be stupid lol

The sad part is that this "would be" has been the standard for FFA in MM for basically all of Halo's existence. Idk why both Bungie and 343 have this obsession with littering the FFA maps with power weapons and even powerups. Shit's stupid and makes FFA even more random that it already is. And historically all the Hardcore FFA playlists have failed to get any sustainable population. Having a decent FFA playlist could solve the issue of soloQ being so god awful ever since Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 1

2 hours ago, arglactable said:

Hola-Trinity.png

Is this one of those "in the minds eye" kind of thing? Because whatever this is, all it looks like to me is 3 asses shitting. Or theyre all taking a tri-dildo. A 'trildo' if you will.

• WutFace (+0) 1

3 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Muh golden triangle.™

Although, I find the power up argument kinda funny when it's just an alt method of burning it and actually does push for some thought in your play. Both for when to push and when to grab it. since you're vulnerable while doing so. Since it's your choice to. Muh agency. Not decided by your proximity to it. Has enabled quite a few jukes over accidentally clipping the damn thing and wasting it.

Cool argument, but you still can't shoot your weapon while picking it up. The animation is trash, no matter how much you wanna spin it otherwise.

I wouldn't even hate the selfie animation that much if the powerup would just drop if you died during it. That fact that it burns is so dumb.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Because then the bullet mag doesn’t matter. 

Yes it would lol, auto aim just helps you aim(in h2a it's pretty snappy, which I personally dislike, feels pretty stale imo).

3 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

I wouldn't even hate the selfie animation that much if the powerup would just drop if you died during it. That fact that it burns is so dumb.

I'd still hate it. What she's really arguing for isn't the animation, but the concept of a delay when picking up the overshield or camo. Which fine, you wanna argue for that, go ahead. But it can't affect the player's ability to shoot their weapon.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hard Way said:

Gotta say it kinda sucked to contest a power up, win, get said PU, then get one shot by some nameless ****** as I was busy smashing the thing in my chest. Having it drop would be better for sure but I'm not sure I'd like it better than not having an animation. 

1 minute ago, Mr Grim said:

Gotta say it kinda sucked to contest a power up, win, get said PU, then get one shot by some nameless ****** as I was busy smashing the thing in my chest. Having it drop would be better for sure but I'm not sure I'd like it better than not having an animation. 

I don't mind that, lol. If you're getting what is literally the epitome of a free kill, especially OS, the fact you're completely vulnerable for the half second it takes to activate is fine. It activates faster than you can perfect someone.  Rarely, if ever will that be the determining factor. I dunno why you would rush and use a powerup while one shot and mostly likely going to be contested, anyway, lol. I dunno if I'd rather have it or dirtying, because both nullify the use of the powerup. But the concept as a whole is great.

1 minute ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I don't mind that, lol. If you're getting what is literally the epitome of a free kill, especially OS, the fact you're completely vulnerable for the half second it takes to activate is fine. It activates faster than you can perfect someone.  Rarely, if ever will that be the determining factor. I dunno why you would rush and use a powerup while one shot and mostly likely going to be contested, anyway, lol. I dunno if I'd rather have it or dirtying, because both nullify the use of the powerup. But the concept as a whole is great.

I'm talking about walking into a room with full shields, fighting a dude, winning and then going for the PU that was in that room (which would be the reason you went there at all). Not just bumrushing with no health like a doofus. The end result of getting one shot and burning the thing can happen in either scenario but the mechanic cannot differentiate between the two. So sometimes it corrects moronic play while other times it cheats the better player out of a reward they earned.

I'm actually of the opinion power ups are better served in unranked play, where at the very least, you want a casual player to feel like they were rewarded. In ranked play this argument wouldn't matter because there's no power up anyway.

Just now, Mr Grim said:

I'm talking about walking into a room with full shields, fighting a dude, winning and then going for the PU that was in that room (which would be the reason you went there at all). Not just bumrushing with no health like a doofus. The end result of getting one shot and burning the thing can happen in either scenario but the mechanic cannot differentiate between the two. So sometimes it corrects moronic play while other times it cheats the better player out of a reward they earned.

I'm actually of the opinion power ups are better served in unranked play, where at the very least, you want a casual player to feel like they were rewarded. In ranked play this argument wouldn't matter because there's no power up anyway.

Yeah, I am too. Best example of this is Truth. There have so many times where I've killed the man rushing camo first, been weak, and rushed it myself and died while burning it. That's a stupid play to make in hindsight. Baiting the absolute shit out of it and getting more picks or at least pushing back everyone after that first pick is ten times better. Getting one shot and burned after one fight is still a good corrective action if there are other people there in the first place.

26 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Yeah, I am too. Best example of this is Truth. There have so many times where I've killed the man rushing camo first, been weak, and rushed it myself and died while burning it. That's a stupid play to make in hindsight. Baiting the absolute shit out of it and getting more picks or at least pushing back everyone after that first pick is ten times better. Getting one shot and burned after one fight is still a good corrective action if there are other people there in the first place.

What are the odds you can pull that off unscathed often enough to justify both the animation and the inclusion of power ups at all? It's not like you're fighting people and they are never reacting.

2 hours ago, Fixaimingsorry said:

Halo reach v7 ffa had the grenade launcher, and it’s ffa was great. In fact I’d go as far to state it’s ffa is the best because zealot was really good for ffa.

Zealot is one of the most overrated maps in Halo history, along with Haven and any other boring, uncreative map with large outer rings and/or long hallways. I still yet to see what is "good" about that. They were designed for sprint and other abilities and play "meh" at best without them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Landonio said:

Zealot is one of the most overrated maps in Halo history, along with Haven and any other boring, uncreative map with large outer rings and/or long hallways. I still yet to see what is "good" about that. They were designed for sprint and other abilities and play "meh" at best without them.

Let’s see, there’s path ways and jumps that make moving around the map very easy and quickly, there’s lifts(this is something many here advocate for) zealot played perfectly with no sprint so it was not built with sprint in mind, I’d argue it plays far better without sprint. Long hall ways? You’re talking about red and blue street calling those long, lmao that’s ridiculous. Uncreative? That can greatly be argued against since we go to the pathways and jumps on the map that make the map interesting. Zealot isn’t even my favorite map from reach(it’s countdown) but you cannot tell me it’s uncreative.