CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Is there a thread or post here that lists each Pro’s sensitivity settings in Halo 3 MCC? Would be interesting if any trends occur with the new acceleration and deadzone settings.

Should probably wait until the modern aiming system drops.

Edit: One more thing I forgot to mention, after you kill someone their character can move quite a bit between when the killing shot lands and when the death animation plays. I think this has the effect of making it appear as though you aimed poorly and killed them but they really were where you aimed at the time of trigger pull.

That's something I hadn't considered. Probably does make shots look behind and not lead properly by the time the animation plays.

It still doesn't add up for me. If split screen is indeed too easy (I've never played it), then I guess we'll just have to wait for xbox emulation to catch up to 60fps to find out if mcc is a fundamentally different game or not. Seeing things like bullets redirecting to center hitbox and laggy off host players completely dominating with constant 3 shots seems to indicate that there is more going on than controllers and framerate.

Edit: also, the number of times I've seen someone post that the newest patch made it "so much better" has to be placebo. I watched og2 play the other night and it looked pretty awful. If it went from a D- to a D+ that isn't really worth talking about.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I haven't noticed any significant changes. Shots still seem like they're not registering properly, or maybe that the aim assist and the netcode or network conditions aren't playing nice with each other. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I played my first game of CE in like two years.  Longest 4v4 slayer.  Game starts, I throw a nade and it bounces off of a wall and back towards me, killing a teammate and myself.  Next spawn, I foolishly throw a nade at a guy running away and it kills my partner again.

I get banned.  lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's something I hadn't considered. Probably does make shots look behind and not lead properly by the time the animation plays.

It still doesn't add up for me. If split screen is indeed too easy (I've never played it), then I guess we'll just have to wait for xbox emulation to catch up to 60fps to find out if mcc is a fundamentally different game or not. Seeing things like bullets redirecting to center hitbox and laggy off host players completely dominating with constant 3 shots seems to indicate that there is more going on than controllers and framerate.

Edit: also, the number of times I've seen someone post that the newest patch made it "so much better" has to be placebo. I watched og2 play the other night and it looked pretty awful. If it went from a D- to a D+ that isn't really worth talking about.

I played the game for the first time in like two years yesterday, and it's just as bad as it used to be. We should never forget that the Halo CE we have in MCC is a port of Halo PC, and hence a totally different game. It's just too easy to shoot when you're off host. Random people three shot me like they attend beach lans every other week

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Mat Logan: you can play OG Halo on a good gaming monitor using an Elgato Game Capture HD to convert the signal from analog to HDMI. The Smash players (SSBM) are using this kind of setup even for tournaments, and it is solid. I have had a couple of LANs with one box setup with this and one CRT, and it works well.

See here for links w/details: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/14496-halo-1-play-in-480p-lagless/?do=findComment&comment=846050

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sure, but most modern LCD TVs with component imputs have quite a bit of lag. The signal processing/conversion has to happen some place, and TVs generally have electronics that are not good enough.

The Elgato setup mentioned above has been tested, and proven to have extremely low latency. Actually even better than "slow" CRTs, see the links i mentioned which contain thorough research on the subject.

Hey remember when 343 cut off getting odst and remnant for free on december 19th to avoid more people getting them because of holiday sales even tho the game is still being patched in 2018

“You should have known our game was broken” LOLLLLLLL

• Upvote (+1) 2

The thing about an emulator is that it will likely have the same large deadzones as the original game and the difference in horizontal and vertical sensitivity. Also it will probably be played using system link which is will increase the difficulty in shooting due to offhost. It’s not really going to be a fair comparison.

I’m regards to the recent updates, the game has measurably improved. With bullet redirection finally gone leading shots actually works now. That is not a placebo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To be honest it's been a long time since I played on/off so I can't say its 100% the same as sniping on host but it feels like it.  On MCC I feel like I can barely miss a shot. When I play on NHE I often ask myself why on earth I continue to pick up the long gun when I feel like I miss 75% of my shots.

Glad to hear others are enjoying the game. It's really just not the same for me but even if the game was perfect I greatly prefer to play splitscreen. In the handful of games I played I felt like I did have to lead, but every game seemed slightly different.

Sure, but most modern LCD TVs with component imputs have quite a bit of lag. The signal processing/conversion has to happen some place, and TVs generally have electronics that are not good enough.

The Elgato setup mentioned above has been tested, and proven to have extremely low latency. Actually even better than "slow" CRTs, see the links i mentioned which contain thorough research on the subject.

Er, the links you provided not only do not prove what you said, they raise more questions than they answer, e.g. since when did flatscreen lag involve audio desync

Also @@Cursed Lemon sorry for bailing on you this weekend its been tough finding time when finals is coming up, tonight if u or @@Hard Way or @og nick would wanna play mcc i am up for it

I was absolutely dead so it's no biggy. Probably be on tonight!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Add me for 2v2 customs (CE) GT: Teapot Yo

I'm also down for H2 FFA/4's or H3 4's if anyone sets them up.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hey remember when 343 cut off getting odst and remnant for free on december 19th to avoid more people getting them because of holiday sales even tho the game is still being patched in 2018

“You should have known our game was broken” LOLLLLLLL

Remnant was always free for everyone btw. Still is.

Er, the links you provided not only do not prove what you said, they raise more questions than they answer, e.g. since when did flatscreen lag involve audio desync

I think you need to read the MIMO article more closely. The audio/light is only used to get a zero point. The CRT and LCD screens are filmed side by side with a high speed camera.

I think you need to read the MIMO article more closely. The audio/light is only used to get a zero point. The CRT and LCD screens are filmed side by side with a high speed camera.

I did read the article. 

1. It doesn't say a thing about component lag.

2. EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the part where he separately hooked the audio up to a different component. However, not including this visual cue in the test is silly, it's the entire crux of the test. 

Remnant was always free for everyone btw. Still is.

Oh ya u right. Odst was still paid for which was lame as hell tho and i hated that

I did read the article.

1. It doesn't say a thing about component lag.

2. EDIT: Nevermind, I missed the part where he separately hooked the audio up to a different component. However, not including this visual cue in the test is silly, it's the entire crux of the test.

Not sure if I understood what you are saying, but it's in the video example (GIF in the article).

If you check out the follow up, they developed an improved test, see the video linked there for a demonstration.

Moreover, the results are not controversial or new. There are many, many people in the Smash community with a high level of technical knowledge of displays/lag/etc that have done their own tests, which confirm the results of the MIMO article. Why are you so sceptical?

Does anyone know how ranks work in Lone Wolves? I finished 5/6 and went up a rank...

Not sure if I understood what you are saying, but it's in the video example (GIF in the article).

If you check out the follow up, they developed an improved test, see the video linked there for a demonstration.

Moreover, the results are not controversial or new. There are many, many people in the Smash community with a high level of technical knowledge of displays/lag/etc that have done their own tests, which confirm the results of the MIMO article. Why are you so sceptical?

I said "hook your Xbox up to the component on your TV". 

You said "don't do that, component lags, check these links". 

Your links said exactly nothing about component. 

HDMI and component (specifically the red-green-blue RCA plug format) transfer the same information (YCbCr and YPbPr respectively), and they both have to be converted to RGB inside the TV.  Strike that, apparently modern consoles do full RGB now. 

Hence my skepticism. 

• Upvote (+1) 1