CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I really don’t think 4v4 is an issue for spectators. CS, R6, and Cod are all FPS games with teams larger than 4 and they have a healthy esports scene. OW is a character based FPS with 6 man teams where every member of that team has completely different abilities and rolls and it’s doing fine. 2v2 is great but 4v4 is what the large majority of halo players play and I think that will draw the most viewers. That being said, in an ideal world 2v2 and 4v4 would get equal love at events. CE 2v2 is still my favorite flavor of competitive halo.

Yea, this.

https://ugcevents.gg/haloclassic/

I don't check this forum as much as I use to so sorry if repost but here is a big tourney in STL coming up for all you H3 guys. A bunch of my H1 bros will be in town hanging out and lanning also. There is also a possible H1 2v2 side tourney if it gets the votes. You can vote here

No one would claim that 4v4 can't work for Halo, it was once the top NA eSport. The question is whether or not 2v2 would be better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

He's a Halo 3 hater. A lot of them here.

Yeah they should be raking the forest floors instead of wasting time on this H3 WITCH HUNT

• Upvote (+1) 2

As a caster, I have mixed feeling on 2v2. Can you tell a story better? Sure. My issue is that you often times get stuck with games that play at a snails pace. This will certainly be an issue with below average teams. In a perfect world you know everyone and can tell their stories but that’s just not the reality. Some players are unknowns and when you’re at the event you don’t get much time to chat with them to learn more about them (or they don’t want to talk which happens way more often). If Halo were to ever consider 2v2 as a primary format I would support it and mold my work to suit the situation but I would be lying if I didn’t believe 4v4 was the better of the two.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As a caster, I have mixed feeling on 2v2. Can you tell a story better? Sure. My issue is that you often times get stuck with games that play at a snails pace. This will certainly be an issue with below average teams. In a perfect world you know everyone and can tell their stories but that’s just not the reality. Some players are unknowns and when you’re at the event you don’t get much time to chat with them to learn more about them (or they don’t want to talk which happens way more often). If Halo were to ever consider 2v2 as a primary format I would support it and mold my work to suit the situation but I would be lying if I didn’t believe 4v4 was the better of the two.

Remember when you used to cast Uncharted 2, the goat TPS?

Game design definitely helps and I'm a big fan of Hard Way's play by play style of casting. The power ups and weapons come up so quickly that if there isn't an actual battle taking place, he's telling the viewer to pay attention to X screen who is in position to get this Rocket and use it to secure the camo. It's like at all the times there is something important going even though there is no fight or action and I think saying things like that helps the viewer actually understand not just the game but the meta if they are unfamiliar.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I really don’t think 4v4 is an issue for spectators. CS, R6, and Cod are all FPS games with teams larger than 4 and they have a healthy esports scene. OW is a character based FPS with 6 man teams where every member of that team has completely different abilities and roles and it’s doing fine. 2v2 is great but 4v4 is what the large majority of halo players play and I think that will draw the most viewers. That being said, in an ideal world 2v2 and 4v4 would get equal love at events. CE 2v2 is still my favorite flavor of competitive halo.

And each of those games would fall apart competitively in a 2v2 setting. Halo doesn't. That's the beauty of it.

It's true that 2v2 would bring in a lot more new blood than 4v4 and it'd be harder for casters to get familiar with every single player. But I think we can all agree new blood is a great thing for the Halo scene, and I know 2v2 would bring a lot in. Just grab one buddy and sign up. Less logistics to deal with.

• Upvote (+1) 2

2v2 is a great thing for Halo, that's undeniable, but I can't see it replacing 4v4 as the premier competitive experience or anything.

And each of those games would fall apart competitively in a 2v2 setting. Halo doesn't. That's the beauty of it.

It's true that 2v2 would bring in a lot more new blood than 4v4 and it'd be harder for casters to get familiar with every single player. But I think we can all agree new blood is a great thing for the Halo scene, and I know 2v2 would bring a lot in. Just grab one buddy and sign up. Less logistics to deal with.

I might be in the minority but I really enjoy 2v2 CoD.

Watching a 2v2 event would just be looking at deaths screens or someone hiding somewhere half of the time. I would never want to watch it over 4v4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm so happy to sign on to Halo MCC and see a decent amount of people playing and enjoying Halo again.

I've been playing H3 (not hardcore) and at times it's hard to get games or the wait time is long not as bad as H2A search times.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Watching a 2v2 event would just be looking at deaths screens or someone hiding somewhere half of the time. I would never want to watch it over 4v4.

Up the powerup/power weapon tempo.

Reduce ammo count on power weapons to compensate.

If it's not Midship/Amplified, it needs a powerup (preferably 2 *gasp*)

Pick a forge map that's actually designed for 2v2

Boom. We just solved the game pace problem.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Searched the CE playlist last night and right off the bat game one my teammate is AFK. Joe Fries spawn kills me like 5 times in a row making it pretty clear that I am not going to be able to move off spawn. Quit and get banned. Next two games have a teammate that is there and goes AFK randomly. Each game I have no idea where I am supposed to aim.

While I enjoyed my time competiting in H3 when the game came out, I look back now and realize I all the issues with the game. I would much rather play CE and 2 over Halo 3 if I had the choice.

However when I play MCC. I play Halo CE and immediately hate it and want to stop playing. All MCC CE does is make me want to LAN. However this is like the best version of Halo 3 in terms of my overall connection and shot registration. It has me hooked. I actually want to play H3 because of it...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have no idea how to improve in halo 3. I feel like the more I play the worse I get. Apologies for whoever gets on my team  :lxthul:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Searched the CE playlist last night and right off the bat game one my teammate is AFK. Joe Fries spawn kills me like 5 times in a row making it pretty clear that I am not going to be able to move off spawn. Quit and get banned. Next two games have a teammate that is there and goes AFK randomly. Each game I have no idea where I am supposed to aim.

While I enjoyed my time competiting in H3 when the game came out, I look back now and realize I all the issues with the game. I would much rather play CE and 2 over Halo 3 if I had the choice.

However when I play MCC. I play Halo CE and immediately hate it and want to stop playing. All MCC CE does is make me want to LAN. However this is like the best version of Halo 3 in terms of my overall connection and shot registration. It has me hooked. I actually want to play H3 because of it...

It's weird because I compare MCC to what I remember about the old lan days of CE and nothing can compare to that so it always feels different and not as enjoyable ifeven if I'm winning all my games .. I guess that the nostalgia factor.

CE enthusiasts: Is MCC CE now closer to OG? Or is it still a joke compared to the real thing?

I'm really enjoying the 4v4 playlist, but I've never LANed the real thing so I can't tell.

Same question for h3 players is the game running well yet? I had massive shot registration issues in ce and h3 a while ago and just didn't think it was worth it anymore. Would be nice to hop back on

Same question for h3 players is the game running well yet? I had massive shot registration issues in ce and h3 a while ago and just didn't think it was worth it anymore. Would be nice to hop back on

I've been playing off and on over the last few weeks and really enjoying it, sure it has some issues but nothing that bad that I've experienced.

Get on and play some Halo .

CE enthusiasts: Is MCC CE now closer to OG? Or is it still a joke compared to the real thing?

I'm really enjoying the 4v4 playlist, but I've never LANed the real thing so I can't tell.

Shooting is still off/inconsistent. Especially on host, but also offhost and in matchmaking (dedicated servers, so everyone are offhost). Unless I have missed something on Discord, there hasn't been much work on netcode etc for HCE, other than some code cleanup - yet.

Improvements are apparently planned, but 343 are (wisely) following the same path as they seem to do with all aspects of MCC now: clean up code, fix fundamental issues/design flaws, end up with an easily maintainable code, and then do more specific improvements (that do not already materialize "automatically" from the cleanup/refactoring). This takes time, which is always frustrating. But I have confidence that the end result will be better than if they were doing "bandaid" fixes on top of crap code. We saw how well the latter worked back in 2014...

That being said, the game is now in the range of playability, at least in my view. While one can't really take it too seriously, it is a decent enough version to give me my fix. But perhaps that is due to the fact that there is not anymore a strong LAN community in my area (Oslo, Norway, Europe).

• Upvote (+1) 4