CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

We got another update that changes nothing?

Heavies added to H4 8v8 Action Sack, more BR Slayers in FFA, and a few other things I’m forgetting.

The good thing here is precedent. If they can be that responsive and add some really specific stuff like that, I’m hopeful that they can add some stuff to H1 Actionsack, and I have some ideas.

I think the reasons I hate sprintimg more is because I directly pay attention to the shit it changes.

I hate the maps it's created, I hate the uneaven pacing and dumb map movement in encourages.

With spread, at this point I'll accept that it's as detrimental as sprint is on an objective level. However, the things it changes tend to go under the radar for me personally. I always push forward and get close. Mostly because my TV back then was too far from where I'd sit for my shitty eyes so I would get close to see the other players more clearly.

I hate kids running away from me mid fight, I hate the feeling of it, I hate not being able to shoot (one of my biggest no no's), I hate how generic it makes the game look and feel.

So for me it's pretty much entirely subjective to pick spread above sprint.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Skilled people are more likely to play games with a skill gap and lesser skilled players are more likely to play games with easy to use weapons and game breaking mechanics.

I don't mind spread. That along with leading your shots adds depth to the game for me. As far as sprint goes, I will never advocate for that(or any other spartan/armor ability) in a Halo game.

If you're looking for a high skill gap and lots of depth, wouldn't CE be your preferred game?

If you're looking for a high skill gap and lots of depth, wouldn't CE be your preferred game?

Skilled people are more likely to play games with a skill gap. Lesser skilled players are more likely to make up random excuses, such as game noise and graphics when dismissing a game much more demanding than theirs.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Spread affects everything about a game and map the same way sprint does. Maps have to be designed around it. Your entire playstyle is based around it.

changes play style for sure, pacing is certainly slowed, but how are maps designed around spread? First I've heard of this.

I can give some insight.

When you take a look at Halo 3's maps you'll notice there is more open space to traverse in between cover. Bungie were clearly giving the impression through their map design that the Battle Rifle had a much smaller range of effectiveness, as is the case for the rest of the sandbox. Pit, Snowbound, High Ground, Isolation, Narrows, Construct, and Epitaph were all created with many vulnerable sightlines, but no one could shoot or kill fast enough to catch somebody with their pants down. Not unless you were team shotting.

As the years went by, you'll notice all of the DLC maps had shrunken down the openness, and as such everyone fondly remembers them more than the launch maps (Except for Guardian & Pit.) By the final year of maps we had lots of CQC oriented arenas and even a remake of Midship, because Bungie realized (albeit not fully) the frustration of firing at somebody a hundred yards away and only pelting them every so often.

Halo 3 plays best when you don't need to zoom in with the Battle Rifle. It's the only way to experience the game with the least amount of randomness as possible. I personally enjoyed it best playing Doubles or v8, because I hardly ever had to engage outside of hipfire.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can give some insight.

When you take a look at Halo 3's maps you'll notice there is more open space to traverse in between cover. Bungie were clearly giving the impression through their map design that the Battle Rifle had a much smaller range of effectiveness, as is the case for the rest of the sandbox. Pit, Snowbound, High Ground, Isolation, Narrows, Construct, and Epitaph were all created with many vulnerable sightlines, but no one could shoot or kill fast enough to catch somebody with their pants down. Not unless you were team shotting.

As the years went by, you'll notice all of the DLC maps had shrunken down the openness, and as such everyone fondly remembers them more than the launch maps (Except for Guardian & Pit.) By the final year of maps we had lots of CQC oriented arenas and even a remake of Midship, because Bungie realized (albeit not fully) the frustration of firing at somebody a hundred yards away and only pelting them every so often.

Halo 3 plays best when you don't need to zoom in with the Battle Rifle. It's the only way to experience the game with the least amount of randomness as possible. I personally enjoyed it best playing Doubles or v8, because I hardly ever had to engage outside of hipfire.

interesting, although it's not entirely the same effect of having to make maps for sprint. I also get the impression that the more open map design (which btw isn't that alien to Halo I don't think) necessary like the increase and size and clutter is for sprint.

It's the usual response because it's true. Those who constantly cry about the H3 BR are usually the ones constantly getting out-BRed. It's a BR, not a sniper. Not meant to shoot people from 200 yards out.

Modern battle rifles have an effective range of around 500 yards. If you work at an arms company today and design a rifle that isn't accurate beyond 200, you lose your job. Now, turn the clock forwards 500 years and tell me the H3 BR is a weapon that makes any kind of sense. You're highly skilled with regressive technology. Way to go I guess.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Modern battle rifles have an effective range of around 500 yards. If you work at an arms company today and design a rifle that isn't accurate beyond 200, you lose your job. Now, turn the clock forwards 500 years and tell me the H3 BR is a weapon that makes any kind of sense. You're highly skilled with regressive technology. Way to go I guess.

Halo is a series about how this guy gets given better armour each game and everyone gets shittier guns because the armour for that one guy costs so much money.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So am I wrong for liking longshore? The ghost kind of blows but I like the layout I find ctf to be pretty damn enjoyable.

Remember when halo 5 was still a thing and this thread was civil? Shit ain’t a coincidence.

Yeah we need a new Halo game so that we can direct all our pent up teen angst at by calling it shit and wishing it was more like the good old days. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So am I wrong for liking longshore? The ghost kind of blows but I like the layout I find ctf to be pretty damn enjoyable.

You like the BTB version of The Pit

I always thought Longshore was Hang Em but with The Pit's giant wall. It's a decent map but nothing groundbreaking.

I've always been a sucker for one sided objective games, especially in BTB, so I really like Longshore. 

I like Longshore but they took out the best part of the map on MCC...  :mj:

maxresdefault.jpg

and then of course the Whales opening their eyes easter egg thing

First game of MCC in probably two years (reinstalled it to get behind the UGC hype), try out LW, why not could be fun.

Jimgo just slaps me on anvil.

Nice.

I like Longshore but they took out the best part of the map on MCC...  :mj:

maxresdefault.jpg

and then of course the Whales opening their eyes easter egg thing

I have never seen this before in my entire life. There are boats in h3?...

• Upvote (+1) 1

If a developer were to implement button combos into a halo style arena shooter how would you like them to handle it? Rock paper scissor between different CQC combos? Clash/blocking? 

If a developer were to implement button combos into a halo style arena shooter how would you like them to handle it? Rock paper scissor between different CQC combos? Clash/blocking? 

I get this is a hypothetical, but plz no inherently offensive bullshit, lol. Backpack reloading is gucci, but let's stop there.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Everything already established in H1 and H2 but find a solution to make BXR more skillful (remove melee lunge?). H2 BXB could be replaced with H1 BLB as BLB uses up a grenade, can't be melee spammed, and is also much harder due to lack of melee lunge. If sword functions the same as H2 add a way to parry it with melee so sword isn't ridiculously dominant.

I think the way H2 already functions, despite everything being unintended glitches, is quite great (besides the weapon respawning system). But it can be improved. If it could be designed around a "rock paper scissors" balance while keeping H2 formula intact it would be the best game in the series in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1