CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Don't you play Reach BTB like there's no tomorrow, and love Halo 3? Man all the pesky gimmicky bullshit mechanics that aren't in Halo CE. Sounds like you need to play CE brother. 

Or are you a everybody-is-a-winner crybaby?

Yeah, I played Reach BTB all these years until the MCC update came out and now I am back to Halo 3 BTB. I don't even really like Reach, but it was better than Halo 4, Halo 5, and MCC before the recent update. Halo CE is too dated for me. Don't care for the physics, graphics, or sound. Halo 3 is my game....and believe me, it's far from an "everybody-is-a-winner" game.

• Downvote (-1) 1

It's the usual response because it's true. Those who constantly cry about the H3 BR are usually the ones constantly getting out-BRed. It's a BR, not a sniper. Not meant to shoot people from 200 yards out.

whatever you say ma'am
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, I played Reach BTB all these years until the MCC update came out and now I am back to Halo 3 BTB. I don't even really like Reach, but it was better than Halo 4, Halo 5, and MCC before the recent update. Halo CE is too dated for me. Don't care for the physics, graphics, or sound. Halo 3 is my game....and believe me, it's far from an "everybody-is-a-winner" game.

I don't know dog you sound like someone who got trapped backwall on Priz and cried about how that wouldn't happen in Halo 3. Classic case here boys. 

You hate to see people avoid the skill gap because they don't want to be exposed. 

think of it this way.

Your spread is causing you to miss? Get closer. Makes the game slower, and it's not ideal but you can plan around the problem.

Sprint messing with the map design, pacing, movement and flow? Eeeeeehhhh wat I do?

For what it's worth I can see why you'd want Sprint over spread. Spread is frustrating in the "here and now" sort of way. The closest thing to that with sprint is when a guy runs away.

Here's the problem with all that - Halo is a game where if you see a guy, 99% of the time you shoot him, no questions asked. The introduction of randomness into gun battles is already a given tragedy for the competitive experience, but there is another matter. The utility weapons' effect ranges have always extended out to roughly the distance at which a player can even reliably put a bead on their opponent (map size obviously plays a huge factor here, exhibit Z as to why big maps are bad). Introducing spread into the game does a legitimately massive disservice to the way that Halo is played due to the betrayal of that fundamental tenet; the ability of a player to be effective at all ranges, all the time. When weighted against sprint, I think the effect is just as insidiously damaging to the core gameplay. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

To be fair, CE BTB eats butthole. The maps are awful and the settings make it even worse. I’d rather play 8v8 on the 4v4 maps than on the “8v8” ones. They’re way too big for 16 people.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Scrubs crying about the H3 BR for 10 years has zero impact on my performance with the weapon. I absolutely love the H3 BR and have had great success with the weapon. Honestly, my favorite weapon in video game history. That's the perk of having a sniper, to kill people at long range. Otherwise, what is the point? If I see someone with a sniper who is long range, and all I have is a BR, guess what? I'm not going to engage him....that simple.

Yea you don't engage the sniper. Do I need to list all the advantages that allows for the other team. Surely I don't because you're a God at halo. Saying a solution and ignoring literally everything else doesn't mean it's a good solution. No shit you can't challenge the sniper. But that's shit balance. You should be able yo contest a weapon. Otherwise the game is just boring. You understand the you have a potential 1hk weapon with insane zoom and aim assist range right? That's the advantage of the sniper. A BR player should be able to descope you even at pretty far range. It's still a huge advantage to have the sniper bro. Look at literally every other halo lmao.

That's great that you find success with the h3 br man congrats. I do too. But it's still fucked. And it still limits gameplay by forcing the meta to be "hold forward and don't miss" and makes maps that are bigger than 50 feet absolute AIDS. If you can honestly sit here and tell me the h3 br spread is better than it being accurate then your opinion on competitive merit means nothing.

Oh and skill has nothing to do with what game people play lmao. Just because your favorite halo MIGHT be more difficult doesn't mean someone that doesn't like it can't shit on you in that game

• Upvote (+1) 2

Just cause the majority thinks something doesn't make it true. Like the sun revolving around the Earth. 

I know Beast doesn't get out br'd constantly, and I know I don't, so fuck spread it isn't skillfull. 

Also why are you putting real world logic into a game that has a main character that, in cannon, smacked a missile out of the air? It's a sci-fi video game. 

The fact is that the Halo 3 BR takes more skill than every other BR in Halo history. You have to be smart in leading your shots depending on the distance and it has lower auto aim and bullet magnetism than the others. There is more fulfillment in getting kills with the H3 BR. That's why people would always say "get out-BRed!" back in the H3 days. Acknowledgment of the skill gap with the weapon. Like, who the hell would say "get out-BRed!" in H2A, Halo 4, or Halo 5?! 

I perceive Halo differently from Cannon or whatever. I see the game from a realistic point of view, such as the reason you shouldn't be able to sprint is because you're wearing heavy ass armor. I enjoy the realistic aspects of Halo. 

• Downvote (-1) 1

Here's the problem with all that - Halo is a game where if you see a guy, 99% of the time you shoot him, no questions asked. The introduction of randomness into gun battles is already a given tragedy for the competitive experience, but there is another matter. The utility weapons' effect ranges have always extended out to roughly the distance at which a player can even reliably put a bead on their opponent. Introducing spread into the game does a legitimately massive disservice to the way that Halo is played due to the betrayal of that fundamental tenet; the ability of a player to be effective at all ranges, all the time. When weighted against sprint, I think the effect is just as insidiously damaging to the core gameplay.

As I've said, it's biggest problem is the weakening of long range effectiveness. I get that part.

I'm not 100% convinced that it stacks up against sprint changing 5 or 6 other things about the core.

But then on the other hand not everything is equal in the role it plays shaping halos core gameplay.

Please God don’t bring realism into the discussion. Even if it mattered in a Halo game, it still doesn’t relate to fun in any way. They’re completely different concepts in a competitive game. Just discuss the mechanic on its own merits. Is it good or is it bad? Realism should have nothing to do with it.

As I've said, it's biggest problem is the weakening of long range effectiveness. I get that part.

I'm not 100% convinced that it stacks up against sprint changing 5 or 6 other things about the core.

But then on the other hand not everything is equal in the role it plays shaping halos core gameplay.

Spread affects everything about a game and map the same way sprint does. Maps have to be designed around it. Your entire playstyle is based around it.

The fact is that the Halo 3 BR takes more skill than every other BR in Halo history. You have to be smart in leading your shots depending on the distance and it has lower auto aim and bullet magnetism than the others. There is more fulfillment in getting kills with the H3 BR. That's why people would always say "get out-BRed!" back in the H3 days. Acknowledgment of the skill gap with the weapon. Like, who the hell would say "get out-BRed!" in H2A, Halo 4, or Halo 5?! 

I perceive Halo differently from Cannon or whatever. I see the game from a realistic point of view, such as the reason you shouldn't be able to sprint is because you're wearing heavy ass armor. I enjoy the realistic aspects of Halo. 

Apparently, the best Halo 3 player on the planet would. 

Also if you want the game to be 'realistic' the plasma would burn you alive. Plasma rifle starts incoming. 

H3 fanboy yells about leading shots when it's harder to shoot in CE per usual. 

Spread affects everything about a game and map the same way sprint does. Maps have to be designed around it. Your entire playstyle is based around it.

changes play style for sure, pacing is certainly slowed, but how are maps designed around spread? First I've heard of this.

You have to think about the holistic repercussions of changing that long range game, though. Suddenly now you don't have guys walking around half-shields constantly all game, which is a crucial aspect of teamshot in Halo and one of the most foundational ingredients to a successful strategy. This has all kinds of effects cascading down onto 1v1 battles and the ability of players to execute a push, arguably further reducing the ability to lone wolf - one of the most disrespected parts of Halo since H2 dropped. 

Please God don’t bring realism into the discussion. Even if it mattered in a Halo game, it still doesn’t relate to fun in any way. They’re completely different concepts in a competitive game. Just discuss the mechanic on its own merits. Is it good or is it bad? Realism should have nothing to do with it.

IMMERSION

You have to think about the holistic repercussions of changing that long range game, though. Suddenly now you don't have guys walking around half-shields constantly all game, which is a crucial aspect of teamshot in Halo and one of the most foundational ingredients to a successful strategy. This has all kinds of effects cascading down onto 1v1 battles and the ability of players to execute a push, arguably further reducing the ability to lone wolf - one of the most disrespected parts of Halo since H2 dropped. 

IMMERSION

the lone wolf aspect was particularly ruined by the slow kill times as well. I'd argue that plays the largest role is doing so actually although spread, past that range threshold, begins to seriously effect you, no question.

I guess it never bothered me like sprint just because I always had a playstyle that would be encouraged by spread. Definitely more subjective then for me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yea you don't engage the sniper. Do I need to list all the advantages that allows for the other team. Surely I don't because you're a God at halo. Saying a solution and ignoring literally everything else doesn't mean it's a good solution. No shit you can't challenge the sniper. But that's shit balance. You should be able yo contest a weapon. Otherwise the game is just boring. You understand the you have a potential 1hk weapon with insane zoom and aim assist range right? That's the advantage of the sniper. A BR player should be able to descope you even at pretty far range. It's still a huge advantage to have the sniper bro. Look at literally every other halo lmao.

That's great that you find success with the h3 br man congrats. I do too. But it's still fucked. And it still limits gameplay by forcing the meta to be "hold forward and don't miss" and makes maps that are bigger than 50 feet absolute AIDS. If you can honestly sit here and tell me the h3 br spread is better than it being accurate then your opinion on competitive merit means nothing.

Oh and skill has nothing to do with what game people play lmao. Just because your favorite halo MIGHT be more difficult doesn't mean someone that doesn't like it can't shit on you in that game

You don't engage at that given point. You flank and find an opportunity for a more advantageous engagement. Shit balance for you, but not me? I see the logic in it. Guy has a sniper at long range and I can't engage him because the BR isn't a sniper. How hard is that to comprehend. If the BR was a sniper, then nobody would have a sniper. If everyone drives a Ferrari, then nobody drives a Ferrari. There are reasons for power weapons and there are reasons why there is an imbalance between a power weapon and an utility weapon. I play nothing but big maps as I play Halo 3 BTB and enjoy the hell out of it. I recognize and accept the limits of the BR as logical and sensible. If I see someone on Valhalla by the bubble shield and I'm by pelican/shotgun cave, I'm not going to engage that situation because I know he is out of range and vice versa. It makes sense, dude is out of range, so I'm going to find another enemy who is closer to engage. 

Skilled people are more likely to play games with a skill gap and lesser skilled players are more likely to play games with easy to use weapons and game breaking mechanics.

• Downvote (-1) 1

The fact is that the Halo 3 BR takes more skill than every other BR in Halo history.

Also, hurricanes are tremendously wet (from the standpoint of water)

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why are any of you engaging with Brad? His mental fortitude is too great for any of you to fight against.

You don't engage at that given point. You flank and find an opportunity for a more advantageous engagement. Shit balance for you, but not me? I see the logic in it. Guy has a sniper at long range and I can't engage him because the BR isn't a sniper. How hard is that to comprehend. If the BR was a sniper, then nobody would have a sniper. If everyone drives a Ferrari, then nobody drives a Ferrari. There are reasons for power weapons and there are reasons why there is an imbalance between a power weapon and an utility weapon. I play nothing but big maps as I play Halo 3 BTB and enjoy the hell out of it. I recognize and accept the limits of the BR as logical and sensible. If I see someone on Valhalla by the bubble shield and I'm by pelican/shotgun cave, I'm not going to engage that situation because I know he is out of range and vice versa. It makes sense, dude is out of range, so I'm going to find another enemy who is closer to engage.

Skilled people are more likely to play games with a skill gap and lesser skilled players are more likely to play games with easy to use weapons and game breaking mechanics.

Yea that's cute except there's no real truth to saying H3 has this huge skill gap lol. It's actually kinda criticized for the exact opposite by time of people lmao. Also what you enjoy has no bearing on how good you are at a game. If someone enjoys the style of play a sprint halo has to offer that doesn't mean they aren't gonna shit on you in classic halo. You'll see that when all the "H5 kids" dominate these throwback tournaments.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think in this forum of all places, you should take people’s arguments in good faith and actually look at the points they’re presenting. Pretty sure we all know how to shoot here. The “mad cuz bad” argument is weak, especially here.

Now, if someone wants to get froggy about SMG/AR starts, then we all have a green light to assume they suck shit at Halo. But nothing they’ve said is outright wrong, other than the spread being totally uncontrollable at all ranges.

Spread doesn’t affect most fights in the BR’s intended range. It’s only a serious factor outside of its intended range. At that point, and I’ve said this before, getting upset about not getting your minimum TTK is like getting mad that you can’t AR someone across green hall. Just know your weapon.

It should go without saying I don’t like spread. It’s not a good way to balance range for a precision weapon. It’s just a bad idea at its core. But keep it in perspective. You can almost always mitigate it by aiming lower and leading correctly. Sprint...ugh...I don’t even have the energy anymore. Just read an old thread or watch a Fayvn video. All I’ll say is I don’t want to have to choose between moving and shooting when I play Halo.

I don't mind spread. That along with leading your shots adds depth to the game for me. As far as sprint goes, I will never advocate for that(or any other spartan/armor ability) in a Halo game.

I played against you in H3 BTB the other day btw. I was on my OG "Guns N Roses" tag:)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't understand why people like you even play Halo. Like, we get it, you're against games with a skill gap, which explains why you love Halo 4, Halo 5, and H2A. You love gimmicky bullshit mechanics with easy ass weapons full of auto aim and bullet magnetism. You're the typical, entitled, everybody-is-a-winner liberal millennial. Why not just play a game that is right up your alley like Destiny 2 or Fortnite? 

10/10 would tap.

Also if you want the game to be 'realistic' the plasma would burn you alive. Plasma rifle starts incoming. 

Charging up the plasma pistol would severely hurt you, one bolt would kill you through shields. I WANT this. This is Halo I've lived for.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I don't mind spread. That along with leading your shots adds depth to the game for me. As far as sprint goes, I will never advocate for that(or any other spartan/armor ability) in a Halo game.

I played against you in H3 BTB the other day btw. I was on my OG "Guns N Roses" tag:)

I quit.

• Upvote (+1) 2