CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Has anyone been able to find matches in h2. I gave up on mcc when i stopped being able to match h2

Can't believe people still have this opinion..

https://imgur.com/a/nzjOAat

Edit: Image tag isn't working at all

After all of this time, I have never understood why after all of this time, glitches from CE and 2 were never adopted as official components to Halo's multiplayer by design.

What was once a bug created unique gameplay elements for an FPS. This is something that no other shooter has attempted to do--yet is synonymous with Halo's early days by accident. Why not make it official? Talk about being unique and something that screams being "Halo".

Could you imagine if BXRs and backpack reloading were something the developers tried to design/balance? Maybe it's easier said than done, but since they have already made references to BXR and Combat evolved medals in H5...why not just go the next step?

• Upvote (+1) 2

> Search CE 4v4

> It's 2018, the game is fixed and nothing can go wrong

> Derelict

> Herewego

> Black screen fades

8e2b255c-4186-4057-ac11-00f089529386.PNG

You can't make this shit up lmao.

It's called lag bro. It happens.

• Upvote (+1) 6

tbh it is an exploit. Is it cheating? Not really but in someway it is. It defies the animation and shooting times of the gun to produce higher damage. It is only accepted because of the skill it takes to perform the glitch. And be honest and don’t go on some sort of rant but am I wrong by the fact the button glitches are only accepted because there’s a skill gap in performing them? Because something tells me if they were extremely easy to do people be demanding them removed/fixed.

BXR is considered too easy by a lot of ppl and that's why they dislike it, so yes I agree with your assumption. Ease of use:damage is the only balance that should ever exist in multiplayer games. Ironically it's why h5 is so damn shit.

• Upvote (+1) 6

tbh it is an exploit. Is it cheating? Not really but in someway it is. It defies the animation and shooting times of the gun to produce higher damage. It is only accepted because of the skill it takes to perform the glitch. And be honest and don’t go on some sort of rant but am I wrong by the fact the button glitches are only accepted because there’s a skill gap in performing them? Because something tells me if they were extremely easy to do people be demanding them removed/fixed.

No they are not cheating.  Yes the combos are indeed skillful to pull off, however there are drawbacks and punishments if you mess up the inputs or miss your shots.

Imagine telling a Street Fighter player that canceling weak moves into more powerful moves to combo their opponent was cheating....

Most of the people saying BXR is super easy to do have never played a single serious 4v4 match of H2 in their entire lives.  Try running at anyone with a brain without shooting your gun, they are going to back away from you and keep you outside of melee range so you look like an idiot.  

• Upvote (+1) 3

the street fighter comparison isn’t a good one when they’re complete different games, ones a shooter one is a fighter game. Look outside of your own perspective and look at the player who feels cheated. If it was an intentional mechanic of the game no one would complain. Glitch exploits regardless of whatever skill it takes won’t bevaccepted by a community(especially ones of today) . Needless to say gamers are different.

many of the combos in streetfighter werent intentional, they were almost all removed too. And bungie never patched em out after 3 years so they may as well be intentional. If the dev knows they are in the game, releases the game, never patches them out of the game, how is it a glitch?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

because weren’t intentional glitches. Also one note is the glitches probably couldn’t be patched in? Like tech back in 2004-07 was crappy. Like back then you basically had to make an entirely new game for some glitches or other things to be patched/changed. A glitch is an unintended feature of a game that sometimes breaks or doesn’t break a game(this one would be h2s since it didn’t break it) and street fighter has many button combinations in its games, the reason the ones you described were patched were probably combos I’m assuming did something that was OP.(I wouldn’t know don’t play SF)

Hells the halo 1 pistol being 3SK is a glitch but it’s not a glitch worth patching if people “like” it. Some glitches are accepted and in h2s prime it was. Very few complained because most couldn’t pull them off. All u gotta do is watch a h2 tournament and there’s rarely any button glitches going on like 2 or 3 double shots at best.

It doesn’t escape the fact it was a glitch, a programming error etc etc.

LOL

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No they are not cheating. Yes the combos are indeed skillful to pull off, however there are drawbacks and punishments if you mess up the inputs or miss your shots.

Imagine telling a Street Fighter player that canceling weak moves into more powerful moves to combo their opponent was cheating....

Most of the people saying BXR is super easy to do have never played a single serious 4v4 match of H2 in their entire lives. Try running at anyone with a brain without shooting your gun, they are going to back away from you and keep you outside of melee range so you look like an idiot.

Are you serious right now? Players get into melee fights all the fucking time in H2, just like any Halo. BXR and BXB are piss easy and cheap. It's a free insta-kill in your back pocket. I won't deny it made H2 a bit more interesting, but as far as skill is concerned, it contributed a whole lot of nothing.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

I could of been more specific. Like there’s not many double shots going on in one match. The combo seen most is BXR.

It's ok. I don't expect someone with limited H2 experience/H3 kids to understand the nuances and intricacies of game they don't really know a lot about. 

Glitches used constantly in competitive H2 that aren't BXR or Double Shotting:

-BXB

-LXX

-YY

-XBX (alternate quick reload)

There's also other less common ones, such as:

-RRBX

-Quad Shotting

-XSV shot

-BXZ

-Wall Glitching

There might be more that I'm forgetting.

There's also things like Gandhi Hopping and Strongsideing, while not really "glitches" per se, were probably not intended to have the usefulness they had when developing the game, thus why they weren't really found out until later by high-level players.

But point being, the glitches are awesome and add to the skill gap, and are used more often than you think.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Any type of knowledge usually creates more and more skill gaps. It’s all the little nuances that people execute better. To me halo 5 was made with the idea of making it easier and more “approachable”. That in itself is what made all the Og halos different to me, the weapon glitches of h2, learning respawn bubbles in h1, h3 had..something I’m sure

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you serious right now? Players get into melee fights all the fucking time in H2, just like any Halo. BXR and BXB are piss easy and cheap. It's a free insta-kill in your back pocket. I won't deny it made H2 a bit more interesting, but as far as skill is concerned, it contributed a whole lot of nothing.

Yikes that's like saying the CE pistol was a free insta kill because it "OnLy TaKeS 3 ShOtS".

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yikes that's like saying the CE pistol was a free insta kill because it "OnLy TaKeS 3 ShOtS".

Not really? The point of contention is the skill aspect. 3-shotting in CE takes great skill. BXR takes zero. It's cheap.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Button combos in H2 are loved precisely because they add depth to an otherwise shallow and linear game. H2 would be dog crap imho were it not for combos. Bxr is stupid but at least it gives you a chance against shotty and sword.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Personally I like combos that take skill to use and time correctly, such as YY reload cancels, BLB and such. Double shot is cool, but as long as modded controllers and macros exist they will never be fair in an online setting. To me it's also a sign that the BR is a piss weak starting weapon without the glitches, as people need to literally double the RoF to make it a capable killing tool. Make that thing twice as hard to aim and cut down the kill time to <1s and we won't even need the double shot.

The other glitches, I was never too fond of (probably my inner H3 kid coming out). Backpack reload is IMO a weird one, I don't hate it but it also makes hogging rockets and other power weapons a bit too easy. It could be interesting to add it as property to certain weapons, but allowing it across the board makes balancing weapons via long reload times impossible.

BXR is stupid because it punishes you for shooting first as you can't BXR without a full clip, but RRBX alleviates this. IMO it's still unfair that it's an instant kill, but I can see the skill behind it. BXB is too easy for how good it is and lacks the danger of killing oneself with the nade that BLB brings.

What else is there?  @@Landonio that's a very interesting list, can you explain some of the lesser known combos? I've never heard of many of those you listed (LLX, XSV shot, BXZ to be exact)

• Upvote (+1) 7

Not really? The point of contention is the skill aspect. 3-shotting in CE takes great skill. BXR takes zero. It's cheap.

This isn't true.   Just because it's fast, does not make it cheap.  

You have to have the reticule on your opponent's head, otherwise you're forced to BXB, RRBX (midclip BXR but harder to do) or shot them close range.  You have to be pretty good at judging the spacing and timing otherwise you will whiff your Melee or you just wont lunge anywhere you get punished hard.  It's an ability that every player in the game always has access to, therefore you play around it.  This is where the meta starts to begin, with this single part of Halo 2 that has numerous counters options against it.  If you see someone charging at you in H2 while not shooting, just fucking move backwards and start shooting.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Personally I like combos that take skill to use and time correctly, such as YY reload cancels, BLB and such. Double shot is cool, but as long as modded controllers and macros exist they will never be fair in an online setting. To me it's also a sign that the BR is a piss weak starting weapon without the glitches, as people need to literally double the RoF to make it a capable killing tool. Make that thing twice as hard to aim and cut down the kill time to <1s and we won't even need the double shot.

The other glitches, I was never too fond of (probably my inner H3 kid coming out). Backpack reload is IMO a weird one, I don't hate it but it also makes hogging rockets and other power weapons a bit too easy. It could be interesting to add it as property to certain weapons, but allowing it across the board makes balancing weapons via long reload times impossible.

BXR is stupid because it punishes you for shooting first as you can't BXR without a full clip, but RRBX alleviates this. IMO it's still unfair that it's an instant kill, but I can see the skill behind it. BXB is too easy for how good it is and lacks the danger of killing oneself with the nade that BLB brings.

What else is there?  @@Landonio that's a very interesting list, can you explain some of the lesser known combos? I've never heard of many of those you listed (LLX, XSV shot, BXZ to be exact)

Well it's actually "LXX". My mistake. But basically when timed properly, it allows you to automatically reload to a full clip after a grenade throw off-host (it's actually one way to tell if you pulled host or not). And if IRC, it even works on LAN as long as you're not on host box. You basically wanna do it after every grenade.

XSV (or Excessive) Shot, from what I can remember is a Double Shot without the use of YY. It's basically the XBX alternate variation of it. Tricky to do.

BXZ is more for flash than anything. Quick reload into a quick zoom in, usually with snipe. Phurion loved to do it all the time. Look up some of his 'tages for some sick clips.

Lord Sk0ls probably has the best vid out there detailing most of the glitches and how to do them:

• Upvote (+1) 3

You have to have the reticule on your opponent's head, otherwise you're forced to BXB, RRBX (midclip BXR but harder to do) or shot them close range.  You have to be pretty good at judging the spacing and timing otherwise you will whiff your Melee or you just wont lunge anywhere you get punished hard.  It's an ability that every player in the game always has access to, therefore you play around it.  This is where the meta starts to begin, with this single part of Halo 2 that has numerous counters options against it.  If you see someone charging at you in H2 while not shooting, just fucking move backwards and start shooting.

Yeah except for the fact that you move slightly slower when walking backwards than forwards and the br is a slow killing POS which when combined with lunge, means that someone shooting at you has no chance of being able to walk away from you fast enough or 4shot you fast enough before you can just casually stroll over to them, lunge 15 feet and BXR them in the teeth. I’ve been on both sides of that scenario a hundred times and it’s stupid each time. BXR itself isn’t bad - the mechanics of the game BXR is in makes it bad.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The BXR is cheap because there's no skill or consistency to it. H2's lunge range is extremely fucking generous, its melee detection is shit, the BR aims for you, and the BXR discourages players from shooting their weapons up close since you need a full clip. There's no risk factor to it unlike the double shot, which is actually situational and hard to execute on a strafing opponent. It's a last ditch effort if you're down a shot.

What's the first thing a player is going to do when running into an opponent up close? They're either going to try the BXR or BXB. It's a first resort, not a last one, because there's no risk. A failed BXR can just turn into a BXB as well. The only counter is doing it back and praying who gets luckier with hit detection.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Well it's actually "LXX". My mistake. But basically when timed properly, it allows you to automatically reload to a full clip after a grenade throw off-host (it's actually one way to tell if you pulled host or not). And if IRC, it even works on LAN as long as you're not on host box. You basically wanna do it after every grenade.

XSV (or Excessive) Shot, from what I can remember is a Double Shot without the use of YY. It's basically the XBX alternate variation of it. Tricky to do.

BXZ is more for flash than anything. Quick reload into a quick zoom in, usually with snipe. Phurion loved to do it all the time. Look up some of his 'tages for some sick clips.

Lord Sk0ls probably has the best vid out there detailing most of the glitches and how to do them:

XSV Shot is BXR, RRX, then repeat. It's a way to double shoot without a secondary but will kill your hands trying to pull off over and over in FFAs. It can also be done as BXR, R, RRX, which I prefer because it feels easier on the hands and has a better rhythm imo. Something to note about the last few updates with classic H2 is that occasionally you won't auto-reload after BXRs off host. Not sure what causes it, but it happens every once in a while. 

• Upvote (+1) 1