CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

all these playlists look cool and all but I can only find people in social slayer. :/

odd.

Since longer games tend to increase quit rates

Imbalanced games cause quitting. No one is quitting out a nail biting game that is tied 90-90 on Damnation just because the game has been going for 9 minutes, they're quitting out of games 60 seconds in because they got sniped off spawn 5 times in a row on Prisoner.

LoL games can go for 45+ minutes and quitting isn't exactly common. People don't quit games if they're having fun.

The only way to fix this is for more players to play the game so that match making can be more restrictive based on skill.

• Upvote (+1) 8

LoL games can go for 45+ minutes and quitting isn't exactly common.

Having logged hundreds of hours in LoL, I agree with this.

However, I dont agree that the typical console FPS player (which is the majority of MCC's population) would ever venture into a MOBA, or any PC game really. So I dont think this comparison strengthens your argument.

You aren't wrong that players getting spawned trapped on Prisoner will induce quitting, but I dont think you've given enough evidence that a relationship does not exist between average console FPS players quitting and game length.

I dont think a large enough number of competent CE players exist for us to pull off better skill based matchmaking anymore. MCC's failures and the deterioration of the franchise in general has chased everyone away. What we have now is probably all that we will ever get.

I think the best option is to set TS time limit to 8-10 minutes and objective time limit to 12-15 minutes.

Having logged hundreds of hours in LoL, I agree with this.

However, I dont agree that the typical console FPS player (which is the majority of MCC's population) would ever venture into a MOBA, or any PC game really. So I dont think this comparison strengthens your argument.

You aren't wrong that players getting spawned trapped on Prisoner will induce quitting, but I dont think you've given enough evidence that a relationship does not exist between average console FPS players quitting and game length.

I dont think a large enough number of competent CE players exist for us to pull off better skill based matchmaking anymore. MCC's failures and the deterioration of the franchise in general has chased everyone away. What we have now is probably all that we will ever get.

I think the best option is to set TS time limit to 8-10 minutes and objective time limit to 12-15 minutes.

This theory would be more compelling if people were quitting later in the game, but the vast majority of the quits I see happen in the first 60 seconds. If they knew the score to win beforehand, they probably wouldn't have searched, and there's no way they're just discovering that they're playing to 100 that early.

You could say that people see stacked teams and say "there's no way I'm enduring 25+ deaths to this shit" and quit right away, but I think those same people would quit out of a game to 50.

I think the quitting problem will subside a little bit naturally over time, as people get more used to what to expect. I see most of my quits when the starting spawns are close to me and I kill them almost immediately after the game starts. Once people actually figure out that starting spawns are random, their shock and entitlement to being safe at the beginning of the game should pass.

Edit: Also, I taught myself a thing today: https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/hard-vvay/video/61299945

• Upvote (+1) 4

Maybe it is just that time of day(wishful thinking), but I am noticing that it is taking longer and longer to find matches in HCE 4v4. RIP.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Imbalanced games cause quitting. No one is quitting out a nail biting game that is tied 90-90 on Damnation just because the game has been going for 9 minutes, they're quitting out of games 60 seconds in because they got sniped off spawn 5 times in a row on Prisoner.

LoL games can go for 45+ minutes and quitting isn't exactly common. People don't quit games if they're having fun.

The only way to fix this is for more players to play the game so that match making can be more restrictive based on skill.

The only way to fix this is to have a proper ranking/matchmaking system that uses placements to get player skills quickly.  I know people have this nostalgic love for the 1-50 grind, but its really not a good system since great players are stuck for so long randomly matching against shit tier players until they play their 100 games to get to their real rank.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That video actually triggers the fuck out of me. Microsoft probably sent some halo infinite marketing money over to theScore.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I know a little about the guy who wrote it, he's a huge Halo fan who has invested a lot into hosting Halo LANs in his city. He definitely did it as a passion project.

The ending definitely paints a really nice picture that doesn't tell the full story, but keep in mind what they are comparing it to. They are comparing MCC and Halo 5 to the end of Halo 4. We went from literally nothing to tournaments every few months that involve international teams. There's definitely lots of faults, and they start the video by ribbing 343 a bit, something along the lines of "barely manage to get ten thousand viewers". But to go into every issue could double the length of the video. He specifically said it's better than two years ago which I would definitely agree with.

I wish they touched on MCC being busted more. But if you want to just look at it from an esports perspective, technically MCC was better than what we had.

• Upvote (+1) 1

He glossed pretty hard over how big of a disaster MCC was, and I think it's not a very hot take to suggest we're not really in much of a better spot than we were some years ago when you consider than those "barely 10,000 viewers" are with developer support.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I guess I would rather have something over nothing.

I don't mean to dismiss your point but I realized when trying to think of a counter to your argument that you could refute all of my points by asking "What happens if developer support goes away?" If I argued that we have tournaments and international competition, you could say those would go away if heavy developer funding was reduced. If I brought up a small revival of local LAN scenes, you could argue that's only because of the Microsoft stores which might as well be developer support especially when prizing becomes a factor.

I still think it's a great start, and I'm thankful for it. But it requires heavy developer support to make what we have happen, and if funding was cut tomorrow I agree we would be in the same situation as Halo 4.

EDIT: Did we ever get viewership numbers from H4GC? A quick google search didn't help me, I'm curious what viewership was for that with similar prize money advertised, even if it was FFA.

While the vidoe isnt accurate. I think the tose tinted glasses are better for halo for the moment before we go forward. A negative scene isnt a prosperous one.

• Upvote (+1) 1

80% of that video is accurate.  What is inaccurate is (mostly) by omission.  I wish they had touched on the dumpster fire that was MCC and the numerous issues that plagued Halo 5 namely the high skill floor due to spartan abilities, shitty shitty competitive settings, lack of native LAN/LAN client at launch, and getting repeatedly bent over by ESL, but overall the video was good. 7/10

• Upvote (+1) 2

"Halo 5 was a return to form and revived the community" is the narrative they're trying to push lmao. That couldn't be further from the truth unless y'alls standards have really gotten this low. Viewership is still 20k for million dollar tournaments. This video is a sad cover up.

• Upvote (+1) 7

You'll have to mind who you're talking to when pitching optimism. My only point is that either the video is supposed to be just-the-facts evaluation of Halo, or it's a hype vid. It can't, unfortunately and in my humble opinion, be both.

• Upvote (+1) 4

When throwing money at an eSport scene isn't enough so you throw money at video makers to push a rose-tinted narrative lmao. Competitive H5 is a travesty compared to the golden days of H2 and H3 despite MLG being involved again.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Why do MLG H2 settings have duals on Sanc but not on other maps? I wasn't around for competitive Halo before Halo 3 and only just realized that Sanc still had a plasma pistol on 2007 settings.

The actual answer to this is that earlier Sanc settings were "No Snipes" (which meant that the very common "No Duals" ruleset couldn't be used). Snipers were later reintroduced, but "No Duals" didn't take its place, presumably because players were now used to them being there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

When throwing money at an eSport scene isn't enough so you throw money at video makers to push a rose-tinted narrative lmao. Competitive H5 is a travesty compared to the golden days of H2 and H3 despite MLG being involved again.

when are microsoft going to realize that throwing $1000,000 isn't going to work

Is there literally any evidence at all that 343 paid for that video? This far into Halo 5s life.... When they are likely switching back to MCC ?

Yeah having control over stuff and taking things into account sucks.

Speaking of having control over spawns, should dead teammates have any choice in where they respawn? For example, press a button during the respawn timer to spawn on your top scoring teammate or press nothing to let the spawn system decide. Or press a different button for a random spawn.

Could Bro Spawning be unlocked through medals? For example, going on a Killing Spree allows teammates to bro spawn on you.

Could Bro Spawning be unlocked through certain locations on the map? Stand in a specific area to force your dead teammate to respawn on you?

Could the spawn system be improved by giving players more control over their respawns or should the system be automated?

I don’t really like players deciding spawns. It’s much better the h3 style, since I don’t get spawn killed because my teammates are in certain positions. That’s the one thing I hate about CE. And like someone said, you’re being spawn killed 5 times in a row, you’re going to quit. In h3 you usually don’t get constantly spawn killed, especially not in th way CE.

Ah yes. In the world where getting sniped off spawn 4x in a row due to not being able to control spawns is better than having ur teammate choose to put u in a shit spawn or good spawn. Killed someome at mauler now hes gunna spawn court. Now my teammate is throwing nades so he will spawn flag/cuts. 3 is worse for spawn killing in competent games, better in casuals. Ce is better for safe spawns in competent, same in casual. Its only bad in ce when u have a competent person abusing a noob. And ps. The h3 spawn system wouldnt save u on pris or derelict or hangem.

You ever play pit, narrows, heretic? It was so bad on heretic ball it was removed from the circuit.

If pit was in ce, youd get spawn killed less. If narrows was in ce, itd be the same. If heretic was in ce, itd be different. As in you wouldnt spawn not blue 1 but you could spawn ur teammate blue 2 or car. If it was blue two, easier spawn skiller but its harder to lock down than 3 people blue 1. Id go with better. But im not confident on that. Guardian would be different. U cant hard look green like people do now if one can spawn them behind you. "You gotta check it".

And omg. Construct would play so so so much better with ce's spawn system. You could give ur teammates randoms and top spawns so u cant just stare at lifts.

• Upvote (+1) 7

If pit was in ce, youd get spawn killed less.

I agree that CE does many things better than its successors but come on dude,let's stay grounded in reality here. The spawn system works in exactly one scenario and that is high level 2v2s. For any other player count and especially in general MM with randoms the system is awfully frustrating. In H3 you might get spawn sniped or trapped every once in a while, in CE it's the norm. And it can happen unlimited times in a row if your teammates don't move whereas in H3 the spawns will flip eventually due to death influence.

• Upvote (+1) 2