CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

How could you possibly like halo 4 considering how easy to use the power weapons are in that game?

Everything that could be wrong with or that I bitch about that applies to Halo 4 can be applied to others in a similar fashion. Sniper rifles, rockets, shotguns, the like. They always are, and always will be easy, barring Halo 3's less lenient sniper. Multiple games of easy weapons leading up to 2012. Halo 4 sure wasn't the one to introduce this shit. While I dislike power weapons in Halo 4, it's the same everywhere else in their own ways.  So the points knocked there aren't knocked from Halo 4, but the franchise in general.

When you strip all the nonsense out of Halo 4 (and if it had better maps) it's not a bad game. There is just a looooooot of nonsense. Flinch blows regardless as do the EZ Mode weapons, so there isnt anything you can do there. DMR battles aren't bad though and it has some of the best aiming of any console FPS imo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

When you strip all the nonsense out of Halo 4 (and if it had better maps) it's not a bad game. 

Yunno, the same process we go through with Halo 3, Halo: Reach, Halo 5...

• Upvote (+1) 5

Honestly I can’t think of any real way of good playlist management. And it’s mostly because of population. We’re not rocking a 100k players were rocking at best 10k on weekends.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly I can’t think of any real way of good playlist management. And it’s mostly because of population. We’re not rocking a 100k players were rocking at best 10k on weekends.

People act like the population is just doomed to be bad, much like the "Halo has too much competition" nonsense. Y'know, if the playlist management had been better at the relaunch and the relaunch patch wasn't another rushed piece of shit then waaaay more people would be playing right now. First impressions matter, and 343 has shit the bed every time so far.

• Upvote (+1) 5

With the amount of quitters and AFKs at relaunch I'm not sure any playlist lineup could have held a population. Maybe it'd help, but I for one gave up even when I could easily find games in any playlist because I just couldn't get a game that would actually play out correctly. I'd probably still be playing in spite of shot reg issues in CE and H2 if I the majority of games didn't end up 1v2s or 2v4s.

I don't think I'm alone in saying that even if I could easily find matches over 100 different playlists I'd still stop playing the game if finding matches just ended up being a waste of time.

They can specifically patch in join-in-progress for custom games, but completely ignore it in matchmaking. I played about 5 games of BTB last night and not a single one ended with 16 players.

Um, why are there 16 playlists?

Because 5 dedicated H3 playlists wasn't enough, we needed a 6th.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I PM'd snickerdoodle that H1 beginners guide. Hopefully she stickies it. I can post it here if you guys are curious, but I'd prefer to put it in a spoilers tag, which I don't know how to use :(

• Upvote (+1) 4

I PM'd snickerdoodle that H1 beginners guide. Hopefully she stickies it. I can post it here if you guys are curious, but I'd prefer to put it in a spoilers tag, which I don't know how to use :(

["spoiler"] Put spoiler here [/"spoiler"] no quotes.

Example

I would love to read it! That or just a link to the thread is cool with me. I checked the general forum and the esports forum and didn't see it immediately. They have a lot more boards on Waypoint than I thought.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey everybody! I’ve been noticing a lot of new players in the Halo: CE Arena playlist recently. I know CE can be a very unforgiving game, and can be especially brutal to newcomers. I fear that the knowledge barriers in this game might be turning some people away that might otherwise enjoy themselves if they were armed with more information. As a longtime player and someone that wants to see people enjoy the game as much as I do, I feel like it’s my responsibility to help new players while we have you, so that hopefully you have fun and stick around.  With that said, there's a few things you need to know before you even search the playlist in order to hold your own in this game. Let’s get to it.

TIMING

Before I even get into the gameplay tips, theres one small piece of prep work you really, reeaally should do before you search CE. You should be playing with a timer. All the items spawn at predictable, static times in this game. They’re not influenced by player interaction whatsoever. Since this game doesn’t have an in-game timer, people play with an external timer, so we can know when items are spawning. It might sound like cheating to the untrained eye, but the game is actually significantly more fun when everyone knows when things are spawning. In the 2v2 playlist, everyone times. It’s practically a requirement. In 4v4, not as many time, but a lot do. You’re putting yourself at a massive disadvantage by playing without one, and the gameplay is just better when more people in the game are aware of the time. I use a free app called “Halo 1 Timer” that counts down audibly each cycle so that I don’t have to look at the screen. For more information about the item spawns, I made a handy video you can check out here:

USE THE PISTOL!!

The fastest way to tell someone doesn’t know what they’re doing in CE is to catch them running around the map with their Assault Rifle still out (or with their flashlight on. lol). When you spawn, your pistol is in your secondary slot, but make no mistake, that’s your primary weapon. You should switch to it immediately every time you spawn. Learning to shoot with the pistol is non-negotiable if you want to enjoy this game.

The actual mechanics of the Pistol are pretty unique. Like Halo 3, its bullets are projectile, so you will have to lead your target, even at closer ranges than you might expect. The other unique thing about the CE pistol is that you actually get stronger bullet magnetism when you aim with the edges of the crosshair, NOT the center. So if the target is moving forward, backward, or not at all, aim with the bottom of the reticle and you’ll ensure that the bullets hit only the head. If the target is moving laterally, put the crosshair in front of the target and aim with the back side of the crosshair. Your bullets will magnetize/register much better than if you tried to center the reticle on the target. Most people don’t know this, as it’s very counterintuitive. I believe this lack of knowledge about the weapon is the source of most of the frustration people have with it.

The Pistol is the Jack of all Trades weapon. It’s good in any situation, but it’s not the best in any situation. For more information about the weapons in CE and the way they behave, I made another video for you here:

SPAWNING

Halo CE uses a unique spawn system that puts a great deal of control/responsibility in the hands of the player. The system is fully explained here: https://halospawns.com/ I strongly recommend spending some time on that site, learning about the spawn system, as well as seeing the actual spawn points and random zones. At the very least, read the front page. In short, your dead teammate will spawn at the closest available spawn point to you. If there are no spawn points within range, then you are standing in a “random” zone, and the game removes you as a consideration for spawns. In a 2v2, this means your partner will get a random spawn.

This spawn system does not care whether or not you’re in danger when your teammate spawns. It is the player’s responsibility, not the game’s responsibility, to give good spawns. This means that if your teammates die and the enemy knows where you are, they might just leave you alive so that they can farm your teammates’ spawns.  Being selfish/cowardly in this scenario is the fastest way to lose the game (and friends, lol). It’s up to you whether your control over your team’s spawns works to your benefit or your detriment. For an example of what I’m talking about, I made a video showing how to give random spawns on Hang Em High:

THE 4V4 TEAM SLAYER META

The spawn system is great in 2v2 because you have absolute control over spawns, but things change in 4v4. Dead teammates still spawn on a living teammate, but the living teammate is chosen at random. Standing in a random zone merely eliminates you as a possible spawn influence. To put it simply, you’re more likely to spawn next to teammates in 4v4 because it’s harder to prevent. The goal then becomes surrounding and containing the enemy team, and keeping the spawn trap going for as long as possible. It means leaving the last guy alive so that he can spawn his teammates in the trap. It means SPREAD OUT! It means know when you’re the last guy alive so you can give intelligent spawns. Spend some time on halospawns.com and learn where the random zones are.

Spawn killing is just a part of the game. It’s the goal of the game, actually. You need to have that mindset going in, accept your responsibility in giving safe spawns, and utilize your control over the situation.

QUICK TIPS

Quick Camo:  You can cloak faster with camo by using/switching to your Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Plasma Rifle or Plasma Pistol. So, when you have camo and you go to pick up Rockets or Sniper, consider swapping out your Pistol and keeping your Assault Rifle. You can fire a rocket or a snipe shot, switch weapons, and immediately recloak. This will allow you to get much more mileage out of both your camo and your power weapon. Just remember how much time you have left on your camo so you can pick up a pistol again before it runs out. Camo lasts for 45 seconds.

Backpack Reload:  You can use one weapon while the other weapon reloads by hitting Reload, Reload, Switch Weapons. This is especially useful with rockets and sniper, but it’s great for anytime you think you can get some use out of your other weapon during the reload. Frankly, you should just condition yourself to do this whenever you switch weapons. It couldn’t hurt. (Doesn’t work with Shotgun)

Double Melee:  You can punch twice in rapid succession by hitting Melee, Grenade, Melee. A grenade will come out though, so make sure you account for that. If you are moving forward when both melee’s connect, it will kill an enemy at full health. For more info on the melee system (and the grenades), I made a video here:

Crouch Landing:  You can mitigate a lot of fall damage with a well timed crouch. Time your crouch right as your spartan’s feet touch the ground, but before your full weight comes down on them, if that makes sense. This trick will save your life.

Hopefully these tips better prepare you for what to expect, and what is expected of you, going into CE. I want people to have fun with this game. It pains me to see people walk away from CE confused and frustrated. This game is very different from the other Halo’s, but once you know what you’re doing, I personally believe it is more fun. You have an incredible degree of individual power in this game. I hope this helps you wield it!

Edit: formatting

• Upvote (+1) 7

What are your feelings on an objective carrier having a one hit kill offensive ability?

I essentially already have it.  I love turning my back with the flag then I jump up as they go under and its an instant back wack kill.

Gotta hone those skills.  No need to implement something that skillful players already have in their tool set.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To offer a counterpoint to the idea of aiming with the bottom of your reticle, often times it's more important to apply consistent, reliable damage than to go for the harder, but fastest possible kill.

Also in instances where you're engaged in a 1v1 strafing pistol battle, aiming too high causes you to miss shots over the opponent's shoulders that would have connected had you been aiming lower.

Yes, aiming bottom-reticle means the shots that hit will always be headshots, but it is also easier to miss. You can still hit chin/neck and get headshot damage, and also apply body shot damage along the way by hitting shoulders. People underestimate the average in-game time to kill when everyone is strafing, ducking, using cover, etc. anyway.

Of course this is for real halo. Maybe mcc works differently.

• Upvote (+1) 9

343, clearly the only god damn people who are going to play this new Halo 3 Doubles playlist are the same fucking people who were playing the old Halo 3 Doubles playlist, so why not swap them instead of splitting another fucking playlists population and then sitting with your thumbs in your arse wondering why the fuck this playlist doesn't have any players?

• Upvote (+1) 2

People act like the population is just doomed to be bad, much like the "Halo has too much competition" nonsense. Y'know, if the playlist management had been better at the relaunch and the relaunch patch wasn't another rushed piece of shit then waaaay more people would be playing right now. First impressions matter, and 343 has shit the bed every time so far.

Halo 4,mcc, and h5. Gosh does 343 not understand how unforgiving the gaming and halo community is?

Um, why are there 16 playlists?

So all 100 players have options as to what to play.

Wait times may vary.

• Upvote (+1) 3

With so many H3 playlists they might aswell take it out of Social Slayer that way I have more chance of playing H2 and CE.

With so many H3 playlists they might aswell take it out of Social Slayer that way I have more chance of playing H2 and CE.

With slayer existing as a gamtype in every other playlist, they might as well take social slayer out entirely

• Upvote (+1) 4

you’d still get h4 more because more maps

Why do MLG H2 settings have duals on Sanc but not on other maps? I wasn't around for competitive Halo before Halo 3 and only just realized that Sanc still had a plasma pistol on 2007 settings.