CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Yup. What's the saying? Give an inch and they'll take a mile?

SWAT used to be some stupid goof off game people played in customs. Bungie catered to this group and now there's literally an entire group of Halo players that play Halo ONLY FOR SWAT.

They're literally playing dumbed down Call of Duty. I don't understand why. Call of Duty does everything SWAT does except 10X's more refined.

Same shit with Grifball. We already have a game that does this 100000X's better than Halo ever could. It's called Rocket League and it's only like $20.

Infection? See where I'm going with this? These game modes are just copy/pastes of modes from other games which might be cool to see in a rotation, but instead Bungie and 343 have made these into permanent game modes which is spreading the playerbase thin across so many different modes.

Now all of these may not be perma playlists in MCC, but I'm pretty sure they're all in H5 which also has population issues.

There's a good reason LoL doesn't have Ultra Rapid Fire as a permanent playlist. Because it's stupid and fun as fuck. People love it. But Riot understands that if they kept this mode a huge portion of casual players would never queue for normal games again and so it needs to be handed out in moderation. A lot of players that want to play normal games would be annoyed if queue times were doubled or tripled because another mode became too popular.

A good analogy would be giving kids candy. Too much candy is gonna make a kid fat, but kids love the sugar so they're always going to ask for it. As a parent you have to tell your kids no, eat your vegetables and other crap instead so you don't turn into a whale.

Bungie and 343 are the crappy parents that can't be bothered to be parents so they just said "fuck it kids, here's the entire pantry stocked up with junk food, go nuts".

Also, I'm trying to get into streaming and Halo is making it impossible. I get a bunch of people into the channel and can't keep them entertained because I either wait 10 minutes for every game or I get a bunch of leavers in every game and it turns into hide and seek.

I think I played 8 games tonight. In half of these it turned into 1v4. The amount of quitters in this game is unbelievable. I'm quitting out of games I'm winning because I can't be bothered to look for the final player that just refuses to quit. 1v4 should be automatic game over.

gotta disagree with you because of reasons.

1. Swat may be a dumbed down cod, but it’s very unique in the halo gameplay style and the difference between cod and halo(swat) is still very unique which makes the mode so fun.

2. Infection has made huge custom games fun AF, although it’s mm version never has been the best but to hate on a fun casual mode like infection where you cannot get the same experience from any other game because the mode “zombies” in halo was always fun to play(alpha zombies reach was and still is fun AF) Even cod mw3 didn’t do it as fun.

3. Grifball, came out in 2009 halo 3, where that game came out in 2015. So the grifball community has 8 years to develop. Do you honestly expect those same people to play rocket league which although better(this is subjective) , still provides a different experience than how halos version plays.

People want to play these modes in “halo” and giving them a playlist isn’t bad. It’s jist giving them one “now” fucks everything up, because the population is low AF!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Look let’s be honest Mcc can’t ever succeed. The games full of quitters because there’s people like us here who when we’re up against casuals or anyone remotely new we got 20+ fucking kills or like 30 if it’s CE.

Also gamers don’t play h1 and 2, because the graphics are shit and you guys know more than anyone graphics do affect people’s opinions of games believe it or not. H1&2 graphics aren’t the “they aged well” that title belongs to h3 which is one of the reasons people play that over ce or h2 and it’s obvious those play better gameplay wise. I’ve said it before but if h1 and h2 ever got their updates graphics ported onto their multiplayer versions I bet you people be playing those over h3 any day.

Oh and do not act like the graphics aren’t that “bad” tell that to a kid who’s first halo was reach. Haha good luck convincing him.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Yup. What's the saying? Give an inch and they'll take a mile?

There's a good reason LoL doesn't have Ultra Rapid Fire as a permanent playlist. Because it's stupid and fun as fuck. People love it. But Riot understands that if they kept this mode a huge portion of casual players would never queue for normal games again and so it needs to be handed out in moderation. A lot of players that want to play normal games would be annoyed if queue times were doubled or tripled because another mode became too popular.

A good analogy would be giving kids candy. Too much candy is gonna make a kid fat, but kids love the sugar so they're always going to ask for it. As a parent you have to tell your kids no, eat your vegetables and other crap instead so you don't turn into a whale.

Bungie and 343 are the crappy parents that can't be bothered to be parents so they just said "fuck it kids, here's the entire pantry stocked up with junk food, go nuts".

Playlist redundancy and mismanagement in MCC have been done to death by you guys so I won't retread too much, but I have a lot of thoughts on playlists and overall cohesion with the Halo series. There are just lots of problems.

I honestly think Halo Infinite should have just 1 serious ranked playlist, and it should line up with whatever HCS is running. This is how every damn relevant competitive game does it and it's the only thing that really makes sense. Make it 4v4 mixed Slayer/Objective - just whatever works on a competitive level - and then if 2v2 and FFA have good gameplay, maybe they can make HCS playlists for those too. The Halo 5 method of playing 10 qualifier games in a bunch of ranked playlists is insane on principle. Also I can't stand having stuff like Slayer ARs, Slayer BRs, Slayer BRs with no radar, and MLG Slayer, all in the same fucking game. Just make ONE style of gameplay that works and make that the standard! The difference with social and ranked could just be radar vs no radar & maybe some of the maps.

Adding on to that last bit, this one is a no brainer but but it feeds into the problem - make the maps good and the sandbox balanced for competitive play, so that we don't have to have this silly divide in the community. When you jump from ranked to social it shouldn't be like you're playing an entirely different game. Halo is the only big series where we get a ton of garbage weapons and maps which the casuals like using and then the pros ban right away (other than Smash I guess). When you point out to normie Halo fans that x map and y weapon are bad on a game design level, it gets handwaved away with "but they're just for fun bro" like if we can't have maps and weapons that offer fun gameplay for players of all skill levels?

And for the goofy stuff like SWAT, Infection, Snipers, Grifball, Fiesta, whatever - first of all, you could have these on a rotation, and this rotation should be relayed IN GAME on a news/social tab or something so that you can know this stuff without having to follow 343 on the internet. Second of all, we have a server browser now and I'm sure there will be plenty of guys hosting lobbies for that kind of stuff 24/7! They don't need to have their own playlists. And third, they should bring back the Halo 3 party leader system in social playlists, where one guy would randomly get host and could bring the whole lobby with him to a private game to run customs. This is how I used to set up so many infection and fat kid lobbies back in Halo 3 and we never saw this feature again.

• Upvote (+1) 5

This shit makes me so unbelievably angry. Halo MCC already has too many double up/redundant playlists, so as they currently contemplate removing HCE Doubles, THEY ARE ADDING ANOTHER FUCKING HALO 3 PLAYLIST IN THE FORM OF ANOTHER FUCKING HALO 3 DOUBLES PLAYLIST.

HOLY SHIT 15 IS ALREADY 7 TOO MANY WE DON'T NEED A 16TH PLAYLIST. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Six out of the sixteen playlists on MCC right now are exclusive to H3. What the fuck.

Also, I've heard that they fucked up settings in the H3 Dreamhack playlist. I'm really starting to think no one at 343 has ever played any of these games.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Also gamers don’t play h1 and 2, because the graphics are shit and you guys know more than anyone graphics do affect people’s opinions of games believe it or not.

While I don't disagree with the idea of graphical fidelity being a determining factor in playing a game in modern gaming culture, I doubt CE/2 aren't being played solely because of that, lol. Take a look at CE. The people who grind it are those who mastered it, and know everything. Like Ogre2 who's spent hour shitting on random kids in that playlist set. Huge barrier for entry for people just wanting to take that first step. Which, yeah, was your point, on quitters. The majority of the casual gaming population isn't going to know this shit, will get stomped on, and will leave. Not exactly someone's fault given I imagine most people just want to casually shoot shit and don't have the time to pour into shit like this, hence why social slayer is, and always will be at the top.

Basically, it may be graphics, but with who I see grinding the playlist, I don't think it's the determining factor here. By a long shot. 

Slightly related, but with how much people have spoken up about wait times in playlists, and quitters, I'm still waiting for the first properly organized CE customs to take place. By people who know the game. I dunno, rank means nothing, not really worth grinding for. So, what's taken so long there, lol. Could eliminate the quitter/casual middleman in one fell swoop. EZ. 

I’m thinking about typing up a PSA for Reddit/waypoint etc to help people that are going into the CE playlists blind. There are just an INSANE amount of people that look like they’ve never held a controller before playing these playlists, and they get obliterated by people with even modest knowledge of the game. So of course they get frustrated and never play again. I just want to put up some basic expectations somewhere where people might see it before they play. @@EagleBurn are you still a mod on r/Halo?

No point. You'll be lucky to get 5 upvotes.

Meanwhile someone with a post titled "Hey guys, I've taken a picture of a Halo book that thousands of other people have also bought. Upvotes to the left please" will get instantly shot to the top of the page for the next 48 hours.

HAHAHA, as I was posting this I went to /r/halo just to see what was the most popular thread and this is sitting at the top with 1.6K upvotes: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/9j74fh/i_am_blinded_by_their_majesty/

I can't even make this up. I predicted the top post and I haven't even been on the Halo sub for a few days.

Slightly related, but with how much people have spoken up about wait times in playlists, and quitters, I'm still waiting for the first properly organized CE customs to take place. By people who know the game. I dunno, rank means nothing, not really worth grinding for. So, what's taken so long there, lol. Could eliminate the quitter/casual middleman in one fell swoop. EZ.

If the game had a decent customs browser that would be great.

But judging from the Halo 5 customs browser, when MCC finally gets one (by this time the peak player population will be in the hundreds) it's going to be garbage anyway.

I mean, FFS, in Halo 5 you can't even filter custom games by ping... LITERALLY THE MOST IMPORTANT FUCKING INFORMATION YOU'D WANT TO KNOW when joining a custom game.

I think it's player count and map? That's it. Like, wow. How about game type? How about max players? How about region?

I mean, it's not like 343 has well over 2 decades of online games they can just copy/paste ideas from...

You can say just organise with friends or whatever, but when you've got other responsibilities and limited time to play that's a bit of a hassle when other games make this so damn easy... and have since the 90's. The few organised custom games I've played have been fun, but it's also nice to run into new players and you don't know their play style or how good they are.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Almost no one plays H1 customs because the host is so atrociously bad they aren't even worth it. Host has so little magnetism and aim assist its not fun to play with or against. The host code is wildly different than host code in matchmaking, so we've resorted to syncing games in matchmaking. If they remove the H1 2vs2 playlists, everyone I know will just stop playing. Host in customs is that bad.
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Isn't she the same Waypoint mod that locked your post about not understanding AR/SMG start supporters?

Yes, but that had more to do with the responses that followed my OP. She actually reached out to me on H5 and was super friendly. I asked her if I PM'd her a draft if she could help me out with it, and she seemed eager to help.

No point. You'll be lucky to get 5 upvotes.

Meanwhile someone with a post titled "Hey guys, I've taken a picture of a Halo book that thousands of other people have also bought. Upvotes to the left please" will get instantly shot to the top of the page for the next 48 hours.

HAHAHA, as I was posting this I went to /r/halo just to see what was the most popular thread and this is sitting at the top with 1.6K upvotes: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/9j74fh/i_am_blinded_by_their_majesty/

I can't even make this up. I predicted the top post and I haven't even been on the Halo sub for a few days.

To be fair this is an issue with most gaming subreddits. Yeah /r/halo is probably among the worst because of all the 343 apologists and the large gap between competitive and casuals. But for example the Overwatch sub is littered with waifu fanart and shitty top 5 plays, the Doom sub is all about "heavy metal music stops" memes, CSGO is mostly "I ran into this random pro at the grocery store" and Battlefield is mostly about SJW vs anti SJW flame wars nowadays. Reddit just favors easily digestible low-effort content and echo chamber threads over actual discussion.

• Upvote (+1) 4

While I don't disagree with the idea of graphical fidelity being a determining factor in playing a game in modern gaming culture, I doubt CE/2 aren't being played solely because of that, lol. Take a look at CE. The people who grind it are those who mastered it, and know everything. Like Ogre2 who's spent hour shitting on random kids in that playlist set. Huge barrier for entry for people just wanting to take that first step. Which, yeah, was your point, on quitters. The majority of the casual gaming population isn't going to know this shit, will get stomped on, and will leave. Not exactly someone's fault given I imagine most people just want to casually shoot shit and don't have the time to pour into shit like this, hence why social slayer is, and always will be at the top.

Basically, it may be graphics, but with who I see grinding the playlist, I don't think it's the determining factor here. By a long shot.

it’s not like the h1 playlist is competing on equal footing with any h3 one. I gotta say even I don’t play it as much because some stuff is hard to see in that because of how bad the graphics are. And I love h2 but good god some areas look so damn bad I couldn’t even tell a players in a specific spot. Peoples opinions are based onmany factors but I can tell you graphics is definitely one of them.

Yes, but that had more to do with the responses that followed my OP. She actually reached out to me on H5 and was super friendly. I asked her if I PM'd her a draft if she could help me out with it, and she seemed eager to help.

Oh, right. I remember now. Well, otherwise that is pretty cool, then.

H1 deserves more credit than it gets.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No decent, if any, player is complaining about graphics.

They are, however, complaining about hit registration, faulty hosts, red names, region lock, unbalanced matches, connection spikes, p2p connections, gametypes...

...the list goes on.

But seriously, you don't play H1 and H2 because of the graphics? They're upscaled to 1080p. Camo on maps like Warlock is legitimately worse and insanely dark maps like Backwash now appear much brighter. Not to mention H1's design is not obstructive at all and there are few "dark" areas especially with improved lighting. Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

• Upvote (+1) 2

No decent, if any, player is complaining about graphics.

They are, however, complaining about hit registration, faulty hosts, red names, region lock, unbalanced matches, connection spikes, p2p connections, gametypes...

...the list goes on.

But seriously, you don't play H1 and H2 because of the graphics? They're upscaled to 1080p. Camo on maps like Warlock is legitimately worse and insanely dark maps like Backwash now appear much brighter. Not to mention H1's design is not obstructive at all and there are few "dark" areas especially with improved lighting. Sounds like a lame excuse to me.

1080 doesn’t exactly fix some dark issues to be fair.

343 just pack it up already. Please. I don't want to see Infinite at this point.

It's laughable that people still have faith in this franchise and spew shit like "343 gets it" because they started to half-assedly fix MCC after 4 years. As if an additional years of development will fix anything. You could give 343 ten years and their game would still launch in an abysmal state, bug ridden and with no content. And the hardest part is that the average 343 employee is probably some hard-working dude that wants to take this franchise to the next level, but their upper management is just so fucked that it doesn't matter.

• Upvote (+1) 7

It's laughable that people still have faith in this franchise and spew shit like "343 gets it" because they started to half-assedly fix MCC after 4 years. As if an additional years of development will fix anything. You could give 343 ten years and their game would still launch in an abysmal state, bug ridden and with no content. And the hardest part is that the average 343 employee is probably some hard-working dude that wants to take this franchise to the next level, but their upper management is just so fucked that it doesn't matter.

This image was deleted the first time I used it, but I simply don't care. Now that we've seen what a 343 / Microsoft "fix" looks like, the last shred of hope I had for both this collection and the future of the Halo franchise has vanished. My previously reactionary rage has now become fully united to the proceedings.

(Phil Spencer has been making better decisions for the wider Xbox brand lately, but the buck still stops with him.)

corpseofhalohfedv.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

The other option, combining Hardcore and Arena, leaves both camps unhappy that they would have to endure minor inconveniences, like playing a non-tournament map occasionally, or learning to cope without radar in a fucking ranked playlist. Heavens to Betsy, what an ordeal, I know.

see you say this, but imagine us having to play chiron or wizard 2v2s in ce dubs. 

I am a major advocate of getting rid of social slayer. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

But don't forget combining the Big Team Battle playlists and weighting H3 highest. How could we ever expect H3 players to endure 15 minutes of something not-Halo 3 and, I don't know, maybe fucking learn a different game. What a preposterous request. Of course they should be entitled to immediately quit anything that isn't their favorite thing. 

The far majority of people who play BTB, only want to play Halo 3 BTB, including myself, so why do you want to force us to play games that we do not want to play?

A lot of people are bitching about the amount of Halo 3 playlists, but you need to understand that most people want to play Halo 3. If MCC was nothing but Halo 3 playlists, this game's population would sky rocket. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

The far majority of people who play BTB, only want to play Halo 3 BTB, including myself, so why do you want to force us to play games that we do not want to play?

A lot of people are bitching about the amount of Halo 3 playlists, but you need to understand that most people want to play Halo 3. If MCC was nothing but Halo 3 playlists, this game's population would sky rocket.

A bit far fetched don’t you think? Although it’s not like anyone here can probe you wrong. The majority who own Mcc want h3. I gotta admit 343 or M$(whoever decides what games are coming) are the biggest fools. H3 is still popular today, and you know what people say mostly when they say they miss halo? It’s “I miss halo 3” a h3a(100% remastered) would be the biggest hit ever!