CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

See, the only thing Del Rio was implied to have been punished for was leaving Chief on Requiem as per Midnight's dialogue, which I can at least get when Chief was a war hero by that point and they basically ditched him. Although that was orchestrated by Lasky, lel. There's nothing indicating Del Rio's actions of leaving alone were the cause of his demotion, when yes, he was right. I never felt like he was punished for doing the right thing since they don't chastise him for leaving. Only for letting Chief go solo, which I can see an argument of negligence for.

I just feel so bad for the guy, especially since they decided to give him another kick in the dick in Hunt The Truth. Where he ends up making a fool of himself by publicly criticizing the Chief, before it was revealed that Chief was in the right. Again.

I just feel so bad for the guy, especially since they decided to give him another kick in the dick in Hunt The Truth. Where he ends up making a fool of himself by publicly criticizing the Chief, before it was revealed that Chief was in the right. Again.

Ye. I think people vilified him for being right over the plot doing that for H4. HtT was just a solid balldestroyer.

Ye. I think people vilified him for being right over the plot doing that for H4. HtT was just a solid balldestroyer.

This is kinda what I mean though when I say that Chief has become too idolized. Both by the fanbase, and by the universe itself.

Like, you ever watch the Halo 4 epilogue on Youtube, particularly that bit where Chief walks past Palmer, and all the comments are: "Yeah, thats right bitch! Tall enough for ya?!"

Palmer barely says anything in the actual Halo 4 campaign, but people were ready to hate her the second she didn't drop to her knees in worship.

Thats Del Rio's problem though isn't it? His decisions and communication were very binary.  Agreed that he shouldn't just do what chief says because he says so.  Chief has been on ice for 4 years, there is probably a lot he doesn't know and Del Rio can't guarantee he isn't compromised in some way.  I do see him as a bit cowardly and unhinged because instead of actually explaining, listening and compromising a bit he has a fucking tantrum.

This is kinda what I mean though when I say that Chief has become too idolized. Both by the fanbase, and by the universe itself.

Like, you ever watch the Halo 4 epilogue on Youtube, particularly that bit where Chief walks past Palmer, and all the comments are: "Yeah, thats right bitch! Tall enough for ya?!"

Palmer barely says anything in the actual Halo 4 campaign, but people were ready to hate her the second she didn't drop to her knees in worship.

I think those comments are as much about people being sexist aholes as they are about chief being idolized.  solid 50/50 split.

I'd say that's more a fanbase issue over anything. Given Halo 4's epilogue felt perfectly fine on its own given Chief had finally returned to Earth after four years.

I get that issue, though. People idolize the shit out of him. Buuuuuuut within the universe itself? I think it's rather subdued. Yes, there are times people treat him like some deity, but to me, it'd be weird if no one did when the dude saved humanity multiple times.

Not 100% good. The icon disappearing when weapons are picked up gives away too much info.

But they weapon pads are mostly a good addition- they show low level players how to play and don’t really impact high level players who know spawn times anyway.

that was pretty much mentioned in the previous post. idk why 343 made it that way when they could have just had them disappear at the :00 mark after a 15second countdown

• Upvote (+1) 2

halo1 literally mentions master chief as the last of his kind (which they kinda walked back) and bred for war on the actual back cover. So he already was special

speaking of halo1 this new build better come quick. i want to see how extensive their updates for that game are and if they will remove the red names

Anyone else in EU really struggling to get games of H2C? I feel like I've been relegated to H3 purely because of absurd queue times :(

halo1 literally mentions master chief as the last of his kind (which they kinda walked back) and bred for war on the actual back cover. So he already was special

speaking of halo1 this new build better come quick. i want to see how extensive their updates for that game are and if they will remove the red names

I mean, he's special by pure virtue of being the only big green man around.

But my point wasn't so much that Chief was ordinary, as it was that CE never treated him as if he was above being chastised or made the butt of a joke.

The lighting in H5 honestly makes my eyes hurt after a while. It's ridiculous. Glare and reflections on literally EVERYTHING. You'd think super soldier spartans would have some kind of glare reduction built into their visors or something.

It's the same as having circles on every single piece of UNSC architecture. It's "next-gen" to have more polygons so they just made everything curved and shining white without a second thought to how it butchers Halo's pre-established trapezoidal human aesthetic (see New Mombasa or even New Alexandria which did a good mix between the two). It's "next gen" to have bloom and glare on everything.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I can understand why one would think timing weapons is a bogus skill, but I think it's just a minor skill that goes with general awareness. For a new player paying attention to the in game clock and basing your position off of it can seem difficult.

Anyway, consistent weapon timers ala H1 and H5 pads are great, but H5 took it way too far. An announcement of weapons spawning and the icon disappearing when the weapon give too much information. Players should know when weapons are coming up because they're aware of it and that they're paying attention to what's going on, not because a crutch is reminding them when they completely forgot about it up until that point. I like that the weapon timer is visible if you stare in its general direction, but that's it. Better than the weapon system in H2 or H3 (bar MLG) though, that's for sure.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Like, you ever watch the Halo 4 epilogue on Youtube, particularly that bit where Chief walks past Palmer, and all the comments are: "Yeah, thats right bitch! Tall enough for ya?!"

It’s just shitty writing. The fan base villified del rio, because he was portrayed as someone to be hated.

I never tried BTB, but I tried several other playlists and couldn't get a game when searching with two other people, the one exception being social slayer. I'm really nervous for the future of this game.

I never tried BTB, but I tried several other playlists and couldn't get a game when searching with two other people, the one exception being social slayer. I'm really nervous for the future of this game.

Can literally only find Social Slayer games at the moment. There are so many playlists I can't believe they have this many.

It’s just shitty writing. The fan base villified del rio, because he was portrayed as someone to be hated.

I just can't help but feel that he is made out to be such because he stands in opposition to the player character. And I wonder if such a decision was made purely because the writer believed the fanbase wouldn't like it if there was a valid viewpoint to oppose Chief.

Kinda like how some fans' biggest issue with the Chief v Locke fight isn't that it looks awful or happens for no reason, but because Chief didn't instantly twist Locke into a pretzel.

I just can't help but feel that he is made out to be such because he stands in opposition to the player character. And I wonder if such a decision was made purely because the writer believed the fanbase wouldn't like it if there was a valid viewpoint to oppose Chief.

He’s written in such a way that the player naturally sees him as an opponent. He’s not portrayed as calculated and accomplished officer trying to protect the UNSCs most valuable assets- he’s an unappreciative, tantrum throwing moron, obstructing MCs efforts to save humanity.

I’m not sure why any writer would want characters who are completely binary. Presenting valid counterpoints to the protagonist and relatable moral dilemma is character building 101. Much of reason Didactic, Del Rio, Locke, and Cortana failed to resonate is because is given no reason to epathize with them at all.

Kinda like how some fans' biggest issue with the Chief v Locke fight isn't that it looks awful or happens for no reason, but because Chief didn't instantly twist Locke into a pretzel.

There are always going to be some bad opinions. But if they came off as highly trained super soldiers with martial-arts expertise instead of overweight WWE wrestlers, I’m sure most people would have been more receptive.

There are always going to be some bad opinions. But if they came off as highly trained super soldiers with martial-arts expertise instead of overweight WWE wrestlers, I’m sure most people would have been more receptive.

I feel like even if you made the Chief v Locke fight into the most competently choreographed action sequence in animation history, it wouldn't change the fact that the confrontation isn't built up at all. Nor does it feel like a natural result of placing these two characters in the same room. Especially when you find out that Chief was never going to side with Cortana anyway, and thus broke a battle rifle over Locke's head for no reason.

H4 didn't have orbital attacks, right? I was playing CTF on Exile and I saw three big white streaks drop straight down in succession next to each other. I was thinking rockets, but it was from up high and it would have to reload. A drop pod would only do one unless three people did it at the same time which I don't think would be common and to also have them land next to each other. I don't know it was just weird. I tried to watch in theater, but my game didn't record it.

One thing I did miss while playing it was the dexterity mod.

I feel like even if you made the Chief v Locke fight into the most competently choreographed action sequence in animation history, it wouldn't change the fact that the confrontation isn't built up at all. Nor does it feel like a natural result of placing these two characters in the same room. Especially when you find out that Chief was never going to side with Cortana anyway, and thus broke a battle rifle over Locke's head for no reason.

Brian fucking Reed, ladies and gentlemen.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Be 343 - "Spartans need sprint and abilities to make you feel like a spartan."

Also 343 - "Hey we have a fist fight between two spartans, the perfect set-up to demonstrate what spartan's are fully capable of in hand to hand combat, better have a slow-ass fight where they spend half of it missing their swings."

Oh I agree whole heartedly.... bad writing.

But in this case, both the choreography and the writing was bad. Personally, I was completely disconnected from the narrative by the time this scene rolled around. But the way 343 trumped up this confrontation, I still could have appreciated good accompanying action in the same way I can enjoy action movies with terrible narratives.

Be 343 - "Spartans need sprint and abilities to make you feel like a spartan."

Also 343 - "Hey we have a fist fight between two spartans, the perfect set-up to demonstrate what spartan's are fully capable of in hand to hand combat, better have a slow-ass fight where they spend half of it missing their swings."

You know the fight in the beginning of Avengers Infinity War where Thanos destroys Hulk purely hand to hand?  In my head i imagine hand to hand combat between two Spartans looking like 2 Thanos's fighting each other.  Or 2 Liam Neeson's from the first Taken movie fighting each other.  

Anyone else in EU really struggling to get games of H2C? I feel like I've been relegated to H3 purely because of absurd queue times :(

Struggling to get games in literally every single playlist apart from h3 btb and h3 doubles. ce 4v4/2v2 is american servers every game for me even playing at 4pm bst and simply cannot find a single game in h3 mlg/arena.

MCC Patch targeted for Thursday the 20th. Region lock, idlers, and H1 fixes are the highlights.

If you have any H1 missions in progress, finish em before Thursday.

• Upvote (+1) 4

MCC Patch targeted for Thursday the 20th. Region lock, idlers, and H1 fixes are the highlights.

If you have any H1 missions in progress, finish em before Thursday.

What fixes are they deploying?