CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Shame on me for thinking the glory days of halo would come back with this updated MCC. Nobody has mics, people quit, can’t find games while searching alone, nobody wants to play customs, too many playlists starting to spread out the population and thin out playlists. Before you know it Halo Infinite is just gonna follow trends by copying Fortnite, same way Halo did when CoD changed the FPS genre 10 years ago. I’m really hoping infinite goes back to its roots or a legit arena shooter comes and saves FPS. It’s a damn shame. CoD really did fuck up the FPS genre completely. Rant over.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't know. You might be able to pull their spawns closer to one side if you're close enough, but it doesn't make much of a difference most of the time. Might be worth testing, if you can spawn top and stay alive for a little bit, you might be able to pull in more top spawns.

I'm trying to get Derelict CTF to be pistols only. That weapon set is sadistic in CTF and leads to exactly what you described.

Maybe the hardcore Halo CE LAN dudes would hate me for suggesting it, but I'd like to see 343 adjust some of the weapon/power up spawns or just give us additional "balanced" versions so we can choose which variant of the map we can play.

Like, if CTF can have different weapon spawns to Slayer, could we have Slayer Pro settings with different weapon placements or CTF Pro with different weapon locations?

I love most the original Halo maps, but the actual power up and weapon placements leaves me scratching my head in some cases.

30 second rockets on Derelict TS or the fact that top gets rocks/sniper/OS AND camo while bottom gets... A health pack...

Like I dunno about you, but I've never been getting destroyed bottom and thought to myself "OMG the health pack is up! I better go get it so I can kill the OS/Camo/Rocket guy and regain top control!"

Once you're on top in slayer the only reason you'll ever drop down is if you're greedy and chasing a kill. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out with OS or Camo bottom mid and then put rockets in place of OS or Camo.

The rockets on Wizard CTF is also insane. I'm sure Bungie had a few laughs when they fired that up the first time I played among the office, but when actual decent players are playing it's 100% broken.

I'd be completely for adjusting some placements in some situations rather that just limit maps to pistols only

rockets on wizard aren't the right settings and if somewhere in the small future we can port pc maps to mcc (like 2years away if ever), then u can just port whatever weapon set you want

Yeah, I know the jumps and the fast flag cap methods and stuff. My issue was getting spawn trapped and being unable to move off my spawn. On Derelict we had guys stat padding the crap outta us with 2 snipers and a rocket in CTF lol.

So in CTF you can't control the spawns the same way as you can in TS, correct?

there's different spawns on derelict which is the main issue. the spawns behave the same way as normal it's just u have like 4x more spawns at your base than what is normally in that area of the map for CTF

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm trying to get Derelict CTF to be pistols only. That weapon set is sadistic in CTF and leads to exactly what you described.

there's no point in playing ctf dere if theres no camo snipe wtf. this aint some halo2/3 shit

there's no point in playing ctf dere if theres no camo snipe wtf. this aint some halo2/3 shit

Agree to disagree. There will still be 2 camos. But this is one of the most obviously flawed gametypes in the history of Halo. EVERYONE that plays it complains about it, outside of a few super old school guys that refuse to look at it objectively. Honestly, in a social 4v4 playlist, people would fucking HATE that layout, and it would get bitched about constantly. Tell me I'm wrong. The team in control is stacked to a comical degree. The spawns are vulnerable enough without 2 camo/snipes and a rocket up top (and a 2nd rocket bottom mid). Play it with pistols and suddenly it'll actually be a close game where control can shift more than once a game. I guarantee this will upset less people than the default layout would. Guarantee.

I'm glad they're gone TBH.

Halo 1 really doesn't need them and with the ridiculous blast radius on grenades it makes it far too easy to pinpoint players that are behind walls.

Just spam grenades at spawns and if you hear the marker you instantly know where the enemies have spawned.

Hit markers in games should only ever be used if player is in LOS and it's doubtful you could implement that into Halo 1's spaghetti code.

Still my favourite TSK I've ever seen was a former team mate of mine from Halo 2.

https://youtu.be/z1yI80ehLxo?t=1m26s

This clip on Battle Creek shooting a player falling down from rocket arch off host on XBC. Would have been about 50-60ms ping.

We have a contender.

Homie if you can actually sit here and tell me halo without power weapons is basically SWAT then I can say this too. No shit it's not the same. That's the point. It's a stupid statement in response to a stupid statement. How are you not getting this?

This entire argument about advocating for the removal of power weapons is stupid in the first place. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

I’m in the United States

Whew, then you're being scammed. Probably population.

Her signature says that she can't have her mind changed about this topic so why bother?

My signature does not say that. My sig says you probably can't (Not an absolute), but could or should try to convince me otherwise, your choice. Saying I have a strong conviction does not mean I can't have my mind changed, and I'm openly challenging people to try and change my mind, because I want to be challenged there, and if not convinced, at least get why people think X way.

How would you guys feel about Plasma Grenades behaving more like Spike Grenades? As in, they could stick to walls and ceilings and blast outward, perpendicular to the stuck surface.

Ice Princess favorite Halo games are Halo 4 and Halo 5. Don't get trolled by Ice Princess.

You say this, yet, you unironically say Halo 3's BR is the best. If anyone were to have a leg to stand on in trying to devalue what I say, it sure as hell isn't you, lol.

You say this, yet, you unironically say Halo 3's BR is the best. If anyone were to have a leg to stand on in trying to devalue what I say, it sure as hell isn't you, lol.

He says that because he values the lower aim assistance and projectile nature more than he detests the random spread and what that does to realistic kill range. When I look at how easy the other BRs in the series are by comparison, I have a hard time saying he’s wrong.

I’m not gonna sit here and defend random spread, but I do think it gets blown out of proportion. It effects the range/time you should expect kills in, NOT the kill itself. The spread almost never has a significant effect on normal range BR fights. That’s the netcode. The BR isn’t to blame for that.

People that blame the spread for losing BR fights are almost always either shooting incorrectly, or blaming the spread for the netcode’s problems. And if you’re blaming the spread for not getting crossmap kills, you’re right, but that’s not very different from whining that the AR isn’t killing the guy all the way across green hall. The weapon isn’t designed to do that.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Halo 3's BR may suck but it objectively takes the most skill to use. H2 button combos aren't part of the BR exclusively (even doubleshot, which is a skill of its own and very different from being able to aim) and every BR after 3 is too easy, or in the case of post update H5, garbage.

• Upvote (+1) 3

He says that because he values the lower aim assistance and projectile nature more than he detests the random spread and what that does to realistic kill range. When I look at how easy the other BRs in the series are by comparison, I have a hard time saying he’s wrong.

I’m not gonna sit here and defend random spread, but I do think it gets blown out of proportion. It effects the range/time you should expect kills in, NOT the kill itself. The spread almost never has a significant effect on normal range BR fights. That’s the netcode. The BR isn’t to blame for that.

People that blame the spread for losing BR fights are almost always either shooting incorrectly, or blaming the spread for the netcode’s problems. And if you’re blaming the spread for not getting crossmap kills, you’re right, but that’s not very different from whining that the AR isn’t killing the guy all the way across green hall. The weapon isn’t designed to do that.

I'm glad people are understanding/posting this about the H3 BR finally. Nobody likes the spread or wants to defend it but the bigger issue is that your bullets just didn't actually count unless you were host or had a very solid connection to whoever was. I'm not even sure if it was totally accidental or intentional but even the maps in the game put up walls most of the time to prevent the sort of ranges where the BR actually becomes truly random and player behavior adjusted to it where the maps didn't. The worst example of the BR being used often outside of its consistent range on a map is probably construct koth since the middle is so open and leaves the option of attempting to deal damage from a distance open from a million angles on top of sometimes longer routes to get to them otherwise. This is also assuming you're playing with the MLG settings which I'm always going to default to when talking about the competitive nature of anything in that game. The default H3 experience is actually pretty bad

• Upvote (+1) 2

I do. Go back to Halo 3 style sandbox. It's the last good Halo game. Keep it simple. People cry about the H3 BR on here all the time, but despite it's shortcomings, it's still by far the best BR in Halo history. If it was refined, it would be perfect. With it's low auto aim, low bullet magnetism, and having to lead your shots, it is the most skill defining BR. The H3 sniper is just about perfect. Then H3 AR is perfect for it's role too: not too weak and not too powerful. H3 rockets aren't overpowered and actually took skill to use. For the most part, you don't want a cluttered sand box. You want most encounters to be with the utility rifle.

Read below.

Halo 3's BR may suck but it objectively takes the most skill to use. H2 button combos aren't part of the BR exclusively (even doubleshot, which is a skill of its own and very different from being able to aim) and every BR after 3 is too easy, or in the case of post update H5, garbage.

No, just because you fight your gun doesn't mean it takes the most skill by default, lol. And I'd argue a gun with inherent random properties takes less skill than one that's simply easier to use. Because randomness and the difficulty generated from that isn't a skill, and if anything, the extra aspects to the H3 BR do nothing but exacerbate the issues with its use, and make it less skillful, over the opposite intended effect.

Sure, if it was refined, it'd be perfect. So could any other BR in Halo. But it is not the best BR because it has perceived good traits when said traits do nothing but hinder performance due to the type of weapon it is. Just because leading your shots is good in CE or Battlefield doesn't mean it works or is good in Halo 3.

I'm not blaming the BR for anything, I don't have "many" personal issues with it, but I'll never say H3's was the best when its functionality was pretty broken by default.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Because randomness and the difficulty generated from that isn't a skill

The H3 BR randomness is overstated. Low aim assistance, low bullet magnetism, and projectile shots are what makes the H3 BR skillful and the best BR in Halo history.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The H3 BR randomness is overstated. Low aim assistance, low bullet magnetism, and projectile shots are what makes the H3 BR skillful and the best BR in Halo history.

It can be overstated and still exist and be a factor in-game. Also doesn't stop how these originally beneficial factors become the BR's worst enemy when it's a burst fire rifle. Which in turn make normally skillful traits turn it into a more skilless weapon.  And nowhere near the best BR. At all. Dunno why one that can be inconsistent as fuck is somehow better than one that's too easy and just needs an AA/BM/RRR nerf.

no lol.

the randomness is very prevalent on anything past 20m. you generally use the br for anything 1-60m on halo3. that's terrible. you're forced to aim at the chest which isn't skillful. it's also burst fire which allows for sweeping headshots. that's 2 huge negatives on the gun. actually 3 because it takes 11/12 bullets to kill in comp settings and at 12/12 on vanilla it's not even usable. 

you can argue it's the best BR in the series, but that's a pointless title. best utility rifle is what we care about. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

no lol.

the randomness is very prevalent on anything past 20m. you generally use the br for anything 1-60m on halo3. that's terrible. you're forced to aim at the chest which isn't skillful. it's also burst fire which allows for sweeping headshots. that's 2 huge negatives on the gun. actually 3 because it takes 11/12 bullets to kill in comp settings and at 12/12 on vanilla it's not even usable. 

you can argue it's the best BR in the series, but that's a pointless title. best utility rifle is what we care about. 

This.

We've had the H1 pistol, the BR, the DMR and the Halo 5 magnum.

For some reason everyone acts as if the BR "defines" Halo when it hasn't even been the primary weapon in many games.

Halo 1 - Pistol

Halo 2 - BR

Halo 3 - BR

Halo Reach - DMR

Halo 4 - BR/DMR (Loadouts)

Halo 5 - Magnum

I have no freakin' idea why people love the BR so much. That's 2.5/6 games. Halo 4 barely even counts as a Halo game so you've got the Halo 2 BR which was awful in every way possible vs the Halo 3 BR... It's not exactly flattering to say Halo 3 had the best BR when it was still garbage.

I mean, if anything, my small amount of time playing Halo 4 I kinda prefer it because my shots can actually kill shit past 20m and it doesn't require you to have LAN connection to actually work. Halo 2 and 3 out BR American host is only possible if your opponent has downs. Halo 4 I out BR people all the time since my shots actually register.

If you're not aiming for the body before the killshot in any Halo, you're wrong, especially in H3. The fact that you should aim center mass to mitigate spread doesn't make a difference. It's not like you should be aiming for the head on the first 3 shots in other Halos anyways.

Also, comparing the BR to anything that isn't a BR is irrelevant to the topic. So talking about the burst fire nature doesn't really make sense, since anything you're comparing it to has the same trait.

@@TheIcePrincess, which one do you think is the best?

• Upvote (+1) 2

You say this, yet, you unironically say Halo 3's BR is the best. If anyone were to have a leg to stand on in trying to devalue what I say, it sure as hell isn't you, lol.

Wait, your two favorite Halo games is the Halo game where you can beam power weapons directly on your position without having to go and fight over them, and the one that broadcasts there spawn location and how long left until they spawn, making them more accessible and less of a map knowledge, timing item.

lmao.

If you're not aiming for the body before the killshot in any Halo, you're wrong, especially in H3. The fact that you should aim center mass to mitigate spread doesn't make a difference. It's not like you should be aiming for the head on the first 3 shots in other Halos anyways.

Also, comparing the BR to anything that isn't a BR is irrelevant to the topic. So talking about the burst fire nature doesn't really make sense, since anything you're comparing it to has the same trait.

@@TheIcePrincess, which one do you think is the best?

To be fair, in Halo 4, I would use the Carbine and go for all headshots because it would make it harder for my target to see.

• Upvote (+1) 1