CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Also, on BC, if you have anyone to play with, start jumping off each other’s heads from flag arch or near tele. It’s sneaky as hell and pretty easy.

1368609215200752676.gif

Halo without power weapons is Swat. If Halo was all Swat, it would get old FAST.

Halo with power weapons is Fiesta. If Halo was all Fiesta, it would get old FAST.

Ok, so I suck at objectives in Halo 1, anyone got some tips for me?

The planets aligned and I actually managed to get some 4v4 games in Halo 1 tonight.

Now I don't really have a lot of 4v4 experience in Halo 1 because just finding a 2v2 against Australian's is hard enough and LAN's are completely out of the question, so I've never really actually played objective 4v4 outside super casual games. 99% of my Halo 1 experience has been just 2v2 TS.

Tonight we got slaughtered.

On Derelict is there an easy way to get a team mate to spawn on the top of the map if you're getting spawn trapped?

On Battle Creek, is there an easy way to get team mates to spawn on the outside of the base?

Playing tonight was like re-learning the game again, lol.

Completely forgot BC had camo's at the back of the bases and rockets on the bottom of Derelict... Speaking of which, anyone got a Halo Timer they recommend that works for objective games?

I use an Android phone if it's an app. Would prefer a web app or something that's platform agnostic, but happy to download an app if necessary.

I've been using the timer here: https://eliteownage.com/halotimer.html

It's got a great UI and works well, but unfortunately it doesn't support objective game types.

Dont think there is a timer for 4v4s. Everything still spawns at 1 min intetvals except rat race

For derelict, no but jumping helps as the closer you are to a spawn the more chance they spawn to it. So jumping puts you away from other spawns and closer to top. On dere u need someone to choke and some good communication to break the flag setup

For bc if you hug the back corners in the base they should spawn outside.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo with power weapons is Fiesta. If Halo was all Fiesta, it would get old FAST.

u dont fight over power weapons in fiesta with the utility weapon and you spawn with power weapons. Swat is just everything you want but no shields.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

u dont fight over power weapons in fiesta with the utility weapon and you spawn with power weapons. Swat is just everything you want but no shields.

uh yea and that's a pretty huge fucking difference homie. Lmao like what an idiotic statement. If you sincerely agree with the previous post then don't even bother responding there's no point.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

On the subject of power weapons and their role in Halo, my main concern has more to do with snowballing than anything else. Similar to how SMG starts leads to players being unable to properly defend themselves on respawn, you could argue something similar happens regardless when the enemy team is able to secure both favorable positions as well as powerful weapons. Granted maps should be designed in such a way that power weapons are not found where they are the most useful, allowing players that have just respawned to intercept PW holders before they can make full use of their find.

It's why I actually really like the idea of Elimination, where the game is constantly reset to "neutral" after every round. But since its Halo 5, it has its own annoyances, what with people constantly thrusting out of danger and regaining their shields in a matter of moments.

And while I would agree that no one likes a player who just camps around corners with a shotgun, I would argue that the Rocket Launcher and Sniper Rifle, at least conceptually, are perfectly fine as map pick ups. Obviously, in some games, they are easier than in others. But at least in the case of the Rocket Launcher, the weapon could easily prove to be just as much of a threat to the user as to the enemy. It's all about the radius of the explosion, speed of the rocket, and the delay between the first and second shot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Right, because in normal gametypes you spawn with random power weapons, there are no weapons on the map, no objectives, and little in the way of knowing which enemies have what weapon. Riiight.

Right, because in normal gametypes you spawn with random power weapons, there are no weapons on the map, no objectives, and little in the way of knowing which enemies have what weapon. Riiight.

Homie if you can actually sit here and tell me halo without power weapons is basically SWAT then I can say this too. No shit it's not the same. That's the point. It's a stupid statement in response to a stupid statement. How are you not getting this?

Is there an actual reason why you spawn with your AR out on CE rather than Pistol?

No, but not having the pistol ready to shoot right away is actually a blessing in disguise. It'd be really easy to get cleaned up by spawners, even if you were prepared for them, if not for that draw time. Personally, I'd like to see pistol be the primary and AR be secondary too, so that casuals knew the pistol was in fact the primary weapon of the two. But if that were the case, I'd still want the pistol to have that draw animation on each spawn.

Holy shit the power weapon debate is still going on? It's been 17 years since CE launched, and power weapons are only a problem now, and why, because @@TheIcePrincess got beat on an asymmetric map that isn't even played competitively, with her main argument that he wouldn't have gotten so many kills. Those 6 kills he got would've been while contesting power weapons, so the fact he was able to control them all game, means he was winning every time he contested for a power weapon, so regardless if he had power weapons or not, he still would've kicked your ass. I'd love to know the GT of the guy in that H2A game so I could look up his stats. 

Her signature says that she can't have her mind changed about this topic so why bother? It doesn't make any fucking sense, they've been key to Halo since day one, so they can't be that bad and annoying, after all, you're still playing the game after all this time. Move on to another game if this core setting annoys you so much, there are plenty of games without map pick-ups that emphasize gun-play that you'd enjoy. 

• Upvote (+1) 8

No it would not lmao and that's the point. Dude obj games without power weapons play NOTHING like SWAT or Fiesta because uhhh you HAVE to move for the objectives ALL the time or you WILL lose. You can win SWAt games without taking 2 steps. You cannot win an objective game without pushing the objective. And yes, I have tested it but that's not the point because there needs to be a much bigger sample size. And I can bring up the point 1000 times about how there is still movement in obj games when power weapons aren't in play because that's literally my entire point. Games still are moving. The map geometry is still the same. You still need to control the same key parts of the map and you still need to block key spawns depending on that current situation.

I never said it plays like SWAT lmao. I said your statement that "the game is already like I envision, because it's completely void of power weapons between spawn cycles" is ridiculous. So ridiculous that you can also compare it to SWAT and Snipers, because guess what in neither SWAT nor Snipers do you have to go out of your way to obtain power items. And I'm pretty sure Team Sniper has objective gametypes for some asinine reason so there you go.

Stop trying to offhandedly call this game shallow and shit just because you played onslaught and that's somehow the ONLY way CTF maps can play with no power weapons. Go play some customs with friends, slap $20 on the matches to make it worth something and play an obj series in any halo 2-5 and tell me if it turns into onslaught.

My god dude, I never said the map magically transforms into Onslaught. I said removing all power weapons will turn all CTF matches into something similar strategy wise. If you remove half the things you have to think about then CTF becomes much more straightforward, is that so hard to get? No it's not shallow per se, but it is more shallow than real Halo if you remove half the things you have to keep track of.

Do you have any thoughts on how to better balance the sandbox?

Yeah, but it feels kind of pointless to go on about it again. Plus I'm currently in London for the HCS event and don't really feel like typing out a ton of suggestions that won't be much more than a detailed "start with CE, improve consistency where possible, and add some of the more interesting/contextually relevant new stuff".

I'd love to know the GT of the guy in that H2A game so I could look up his stats.

Vobble Wobble. See my previous post.

Looking at his ranks in H5 he seems like a pretty competent player. Has plenty of Diamond and Onyx in his arena history.

Ice mentioned her K:D ratio in MCC, but I don't know if that counts games like BTB and stuff which would make it easy to pad your stats.

Also, on BC, if you have anyone to play with, start jumping off each other’s heads from flag arch or near tele. It’s sneaky as hell and pretty easy.

Yeah, I know the jumps and the fast flag cap methods and stuff. My issue was getting spawn trapped and being unable to move off my spawn. On Derelict we had guys stat padding the crap outta us with 2 snipers and a rocket in CTF lol.

So in CTF you can't control the spawns the same way as you can in TS, correct?

@@Pyroteq

Your signature reminds me of how I've always believed that complex lighting is actively making games worse. They're nice for screenshots, but games really need to learn to value visual clarity over graphical fidelity. It's honestly the main reason why I prefer to play the Halo 2 campaign with the classic visuals, instead of the "remastered" version.

• Upvote (+1) 5

@@Pyroteq

Your signature reminds me of how I've always believed that complex lighting is actively making games worse. They're nice for screenshots, but games really need to learn to value visual clarity over graphical fidelity. It's honestly the main reason why I prefer to play the Halo 2 campaign with the classic visuals, instead of the "remastered" version.

The lighting in H5 honestly makes my eyes hurt after a while. It's ridiculous. Glare and reflections on literally EVERYTHING. You'd think super soldier spartans would have some kind of glare reduction built into their visors or something.

The lighting in H5 honestly makes my eyes hurt after a while. It's ridiculous. Glare and reflections on literally EVERYTHING. You'd think super soldier spartans would have some kind of glare reduction built into their visors or something.

Shoutout to Glare from the Halo 5's Sniper Rifle scope, despite it being electronic, not actual magnifying glass. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Notice how you can hear the shot registration hit markers from 4 years ago. Then notice how the next game they are gone.

We are playing a different version of H1 everygame folks. People are playing different versions in the same fuckin lobby.

I'm glad they're gone TBH.

Halo 1 really doesn't need them and with the ridiculous blast radius on grenades it makes it far too easy to pinpoint players that are behind walls.

Just spam grenades at spawns and if you hear the marker you instantly know where the enemies have spawned.

Hit markers in games should only ever be used if player is in LOS and it's doubtful you could implement that into Halo 1's spaghetti code.

Ladies and gents, I present to you the crispiest 3 shot ever.

Still my favourite TSK I've ever seen was a former team mate of mine from Halo 2.

https://youtu.be/z1yI80ehLxo?t=1m26s

This clip on Battle Creek shooting a player falling down from rocket arch off host on XBC. Would have been about 50-60ms ping.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, I know the jumps and the fast flag cap methods and stuff. My issue was getting spawn trapped and being unable to move off my spawn. On Derelict we had guys stat padding the crap outta us with 2 snipers and a rocket in CTF lol.

So in CTF you can't control the spawns the same way as you can in TS, correct?

I don't know. You might be able to pull their spawns closer to one side if you're close enough, but it doesn't make much of a difference most of the time. Might be worth testing, if you can spawn top and stay alive for a little bit, you might be able to pull in more top spawns.

I'm trying to get Derelict CTF to be pistols only. That weapon set is sadistic in CTF and leads to exactly what you described.

Is region an issue? May be region, if you quit a lot, or just population. I know quitting tanks your actual rep and puts you with quitters, more, without letting you match the general populace, so, lel.

I’m in the United States