CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

As an alternate discussion, in case fatigue is setting in, how do you guys feel about this:

Sanctuary TS

Dynamic player spawns like H2A, and unlike v7

Static item spawns

Sword in mid, every 3 minutes. Maybe reduced ammo?

No snipe at the start.

On odd minutes, an OS spawns at red rocks, and a snipe spawns at blue snipe.

On even minutes, a camo will spawn in blue rocks, and a snipe will spawn at red snipe.

This creates incentive to control different parts of the map at different times, make difficult decisions, improves the pace of the gametype, maintains importance of ring control, and adds a “sniper versus powerup” dynamic that I think would be fun.

In CTF I think dueling camos in the rocks every 2 minutes, alongside sniper spawns, would make for REALLY interesting gameplay.

What do you guys think? Is making symmetrical maps play asymmetrically in Slayer a good path to go down?

I think having SOME TS maps that play slowly is a good thing - The trouble is with the current setups they play TOO slowly. It requires a different set of skills and a change of pace. I love Midship TS and Warlock TS, but I sure as hell don't want to play those maps constantly. I'd prefer weapons and power ups that play to a maps strengths instead of it's weaknesses. Sanctuary is a map that encourages long range fights, control over mid and red vs blue side combat, so I think any variants of the map should try to keep these elements of game play.

I've lost track of all the different MLG versions and Forged variants of Sanctuary over the years, so I'm referring to the original Halo 2 version as I remember it...

I'd say keep the map as is, but have an OS spawn bottom mid every 60 seconds. Have a constant fight for control of mid. This gives players a constant incentive to push for mid control instead of just camping in their base if they have the lead.

Sword bottom mid seems kinda pointless because of the size of the map and unless you have camo you're unlikely to actually get any kills with it. I also like putting OS in vulnerable positions like this because it grants temporary immunity from grenade spam.

I like TS on Sanctuary quite a lot. It becomes a battle of the snipers and creates a completely different style of game play from other maps.

In the same way, I'd put an OS on a 60 second respawn in green room on Lockout to allow players on the attack a good chance of breaking the BR tower setup. Players at BR would need to decide whether they send one or 2 players to secure OS or hold their position and hope their team shots are good enough to take down the OS guy.

Green room on Lockout is 100% useless with a shotgun down there. Put an OS down there and players will use that room constantly. Again, OS for the same reason. Vulnerable position so you want the player that gets it to actually be able to utilise it and not just die to a random grenade.

This change allows BR setup to still be powerful, but adds more options for both attackers and defenders.

• Upvote (+1) 2

As an alternate discussion, in case fatigue is setting in, how do you guys feel about this:

Sanctuary TS

Dynamic player spawns like H2A, and unlike v7

Static item spawns

Sword in mid, every 3 minutes. Maybe reduced ammo?

No snipe at the start.

On odd minutes, an OS spawns at red rocks, and a snipe spawns at blue snipe.

On even minutes, a camo will spawn in blue rocks, and a snipe will spawn at red snipe.

This creates incentive to control different parts of the map at different times, make difficult decisions, improves the pace of the gametype, maintains importance of ring control, and adds a “sniper versus powerup” dynamic that I think would be fun.

In CTF I think dueling camos in the rocks every 2 minutes, alongside sniper spawns, would make for REALLY interesting gameplay.

What do you guys think? Is making symmetrical maps play asymmetrically in Slayer a good path to go down?

That’s a cool idea. A dynamic spawn Sanctuary is one map where an idea like this could really work. Plus, the layout you are spawning the items in (rocks and opposing snipe) seems like it would make it difficult to control both because your team would have to slice the map the “wrong” way (perpendicular to the normal midline). This weapon layout and alternating timing also seems like it would promote cyclical movement around the map instead of just holding mid and dominating one side of the map like static Sanc encourages.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Pyroteq on a crusade

He's a lot more enjoyable to read when he's not making excellent arguments against party matching. lol

• Upvote (+1) 4

He's a lot more enjoyable to read when he's not making excellent arguments against party matching. lol

Purely because of the population size of the game.

Don't get me wrong, if the game had a million players I'd say do everything possible to make games as even as possible.

As evidence by multiple posts in this thread, people are lucky to even get matches in Halo CE 4v4 in MCC which is an unranked social playlist. I'm pretty sure no one here is gonna complain if they actually get a game of Halo CE with various different party sizes.

Or just make it so search automatically expands every 60 seconds. First priority is ping (so players closer to you), then skill level, then party size

So if search goes for 2 minutes you'll almost always get people in same sized parties and then after 3 minutes it expands and will find try to put a 2/2 with a 3/1 or something.

Or have it based on region population so maybe NA players have tighter restrictions in place and it's far looser for the rest of the world. Doesn't have to be a black and white.

• Upvote (+1) 4

They really need to weigh slayer less in BTB and add in more one flag, one bomb, and territories. I swear the people who composed these playlists didn’t play the original multiplayers.

• Upvote (+1) 8

What are your feelings on an objective carrier having a one hit kill offensive ability?

It depends, buuut I'm essentially indifferent to it in the sense that complaining about it happens haphazardly when I bitch about melee. Generally, mind you. It's an easy thing to do, but so is a melee, so most of my complaints with it boil down to my melee issues, not an inherent issue with defense by offense. I think I'd rather have it be a 2-hit, buuuut you as a flag carrier are already at an insane disadvantage, so being able to instantly kill some dude in melee range seems like a better trade-off than the flagnum is.

lol, that's even worse. So the guy is walking around with an empty rocket launcher half the game and no one thought to kill him when he had no rockets?

Why weren't you baiting the rocket ammo? If he was so awful with a BR and he had no rockets left then surely he'd be a free kill, right?

I mean, seriously, are you trying to argue for yourself or against yourself?

I didn't once say he walked around with an empty rocket launcher for half the game, lol. He had rockets the entire game. How many in reserve just differed. And why wasn't I baiting rocket ammo? Maybe because I rarely, if ever spawned in the optimal position to, or from red base, and any other area is basically putting you in the open? And I had a number's disadvantage? Seriously. Rocket ammo spawns on ground level. When I know a dude has rockets and another enemy has snipe, why will I give up all height advantages to bait something, where I put myself in a corner?

Winning a single BR duel online doesn't really mean anything.

I get destroyed in BR duels all the time... Because that's what happens when you play on 250ms ping against people on the other side of the world. It's possible he's playing on wireless from the middle of nowhere or maybe he's playing from Europe or something. I know it's hard for Americans, but try to remember that other countries exist.

At the end of the day, whether he was good or bad doesn't really matter. Maybe you're right, maybe he's awful at the game. But that doesn't say a lot for you and your team mates getting destroyed by someone that apparently just discovered rockets exist. Maybe try contesting them? Maybe don't walk into close range of a guy with a rocket launcher? I mean, Zanzibar is a pretty massive map, it's not like it's hard to just say "hey guys, rocket launcher guy camping inside the base, be careful" - Note that this works much better when you have GAME CHAT enabled.

Unless this dude is firing Quake pro style rockets at long range it seems pretty ridiculous to let someone get 8 rocket kills in any game.

Oh, so now it "doesn't really matter" that he's good or bad, lol. Winning a BR duel means nothing, either. I can get shifting viewpoints, but it's hilarious to hold the idea that he'd have dominated us with or without power weapons, to the point of asking for GTs, and now suddenly it just doesn't matter or mean anything. Because of the possibility, however remote that "he may be lagging". Pro tip. Simply don't argue he's better if you're gonna retract on it swiftly, lol.

And no, getting "destroyed" by a dude with rockets doesn't say shit about me or anyone else. It's fucking rockets. When you pick up an explosive, AoE, OHKO weapon, I damn well expect you to get kills with it, and if you get more ammo? I expect more kills. I don't expect some dude with the easiest weapon in the sandbox to just whiff 24/7. Regardless of skill. ANYONE can use it. When I was a dumbass casual in 2010-2014 I pulled this exact same shit. The fact people get killed by it literally says nothing if he's either good, or bad because that's the nature of the beast.

I also love the broadsweeping and godly generalization of "it's hard for Americans to X", along with the sweet tip to remember other countries exist. 

Would do you well to know I'm neither American, nor do I live in the USA.

Besides, it's hilarious you suggest shit like I don't KNOW what to do. Really. Contest someone? Never thought of it. Been sitting behind my vehicles in bluuuuuue side. Contesting's for fucknuts. Screw it. Seriously. Hindsight is 20-20. You can coach me 20 ways to Sunday on how to win a game I lost by telling me to do the opposite of what I did. Still doesn't actually address how rockets are still stupidly easy. Basically "solve this problem by taking the problem and using it", not "Hmm, maybe rockets are dumb when anyone can use them as effectively as they're supposed to be used, regardless of who does use them". 

Apparently it's a "joke" to want players in an arena first person SHOOTER to be good at SHOOTING things?

Ummm, what?

You've just spent pages bitching about players that out played the shit out of you, that are apparently garbage at the game and can't aim for shit and keep telling us how many times you should be winning against players with power weapons if they didn't have their "crutch" to help them in a straight up BR fight, but then you say it's a joke for tournament players to maybe actually be good at aiming?

I mean, are you literally just trying to disagree with everything else people on this forum think to be edgy or something?

Apparently Slayer is a garbage game type because it requires no thinking... Ignoring map control, power up control, weapon control, spawn control, etc...

Then you say that power weapons shouldn't exist because it's just a crutch for bad players.

But then apparently it's ok if a team sucks at slaying but wins CTF just by being good at objective game types.

You have contradicted yourself so many times it's incredible.

So if I have this right, you think:

1. Slayer is garbage because it's brainless.

2. Power weapons are shitty because they're require no skill to use (Ummm, that's kinda the point? It would be pretty stupid to get a power weapon that was harder to use than the BR, no one would bother picking it up). The game should be nothing but BR fights because we want to ensure that aiming is top priority.

3. Except in cases where a team manages to play CTF really well. Then fuck aiming altogether in an arena FPS because the ability for a player to sneak a flag past a team is much more impressive than some guy that can constantly win 1v2 engagements.

This part had me rolling.

First, no, I don't give a fuck about what other people think of what I think. I've said that before. I only care about the merits of the arguments themselves. Not the people behind them. Don't have anything to really prove to anyone here, so, lol. It's just baffling a differing viewpoint's seen so awkwardly. "Ohhhh, are you trying to be edgy?" Uhhhhh, no, famalam, I'm simply disagreeing with the notion power weapons and Slayer are suuuuuper good. 

Second, the fact I detest Slayer in a comp environment has nothing to do with detesting people properly aiming in a game. Don't honestly know how you came to that conclusion. I just hate how Slayer is as a gametype, especially with the superb emphasis on power weapons and nothing else major. And any emphasis on aiming could be put to a better test in CTF. Where there's more to the game than JUST killing someone, and it's a mix of pushing and pulling, and actually committing to it.

Third. What I find godly is the, again, admittance that power weapons require no skill to use. So we acknowledge this is a thing. AGAIN. And it's somehow not an issue. Because if they weren't easy as fuck, people wouldn't pick them up. Again, what's the bad thing about a game where easy weapons aren't a thing? Seriously. If you argue for depth, then play CTF on good maps without power weapons, then you have movement with proper gunfights, and your argument's null. And it avoids this known and accepted set of dumb weapons from being required for a game's playthrough.

1.) Basically? Or at least, what could be done well in it could be done better in CTF on an objective (no pun intended) level.

2.) Read above.

3.) I don't get this.

Think the last bit's off.

I'm defending slayer gametypes with power weapons and power ups. If you want to change this conversation to objective vs. slayer then you're welcome to, but it's out of context for my response. Please address my justification of slayer as I was hoping you would.

You can defend them allllll you want. It's not out of context for me to explain how an objective does this shit better than the thing I'm arguing against, lol. Why the hell is how a power weapon/up setup affects a 2v2 Slayer game gonna somehow change my mind when I'm literally arguing against why this shit is bad. I KNOW what both do in game. I know the effect, and I know the thought process. I'm literally arguing against them, which is my entire point throughout this. 

The argument has always been that in 4v4 halo slayer has been the weakest gametype since at least H2. As a gametype I do not like slayer. I find it boring and think obj is better in every way. I do not like power weapons. I think obj games do not need them because the obj forces movement on its own. How is that so crazy and out there that people genuinely keep misinterpreting all the points? That's all this has been this whole time.

The argument has always been that in 4v4 halo slayer has been the weakest gametype since at least H2. As a gametype I do not like slayer. I find it boring and think obj is better in every way. I do not like power weapons. I think obj games do not need them because the obj forces movement on its own. How is that so crazy and out there that people genuinely keep misinterpreting all the points? That's all this has been this whole time.

Yes Slayer has been the weakest gametype ever since H2, everyone knows that. But your hypothesis that Flags offer the same sort of incentive for movement as power items simplifies things to an absurd level.

Your version of CTF has two "items" that always spawn in the same location and are carried between these two points. And to score, you basically do the same thing 3-5 times in a row. Not saying that's a completely terrible gametype, but without power items spawning at set times, it quickly devolves into Onslaught CTF. You never have to change your strategy to go pick up an item, just slay till 4 down, pull the flag and watch the spawns. Rinse and repeat. It's cool to have one gametype like that in rotation, but not all flag maps need to play like that.

In gametypes with power weapons with non-awful settings (this hypothetically includes TS, but hasn't in 14 years) power weapons spawn in different locations all around the map, they spawn at different times and at different times different combinations of power items can be coming up. Is it that much of a stretch to say this has more depth and requires more tactical thinking than worrying about a maximum of two flags being at play?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Seems like we really just need a sandbox that's balanced a bit better.

I still maintain that H5 made steps in the right direction but didn't quite get there. I'm really hoping that the trajectory continues with Infinite and that lessons about things such as Sniper Rifles and persistent UI elements for static spawning items are learned and acted on.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Seems like we really just need a sandbox that's balanced a bit better.

I still maintain that H5 made steps in the right direction but didn't quite get there. I'm really hoping that the trajectory continues with Infinite and that lessons about things such as Sniper Rifles and persistent UI elements for static spawning items are learned and acted on.

Do you have any thoughts on how to better balance the sandbox?

Yes Slayer has been the weakest gametype ever since H2, everyone knows that. But your hypothesis that Flags offer the same sort of incentive for movement as power items simplifies things to an absurd level.

Your version of CTF has two "items" that always spawn in the same location and are carried between these two points. And to score, you basically do the same thing 3-5 times in a row. Not saying that's a completely terrible gametype, but without power items spawning at set times, it quickly devolves into Onslaught CTF. You never have to change your strategy to go pick up an item, just slay till 4 down, pull the flag and watch the spawns. Rinse and repeat. It's cool to have one gametype like that in rotation, but not all flag maps need to play like that.

In gametypes with power weapons with non-awful settings (this hypothetically includes TS, but hasn't in 14 years) power weapons spawn in different locations all around the map, they spawn at different times and at different times different combinations of power items can be coming up. Is it that much of a stretch to say this has more depth and requires more tactical thinking than worrying about a maximum of two flags being at play?

Well said. It can’t be put any simpler than this.

And here's the big thing you miss, you took out the first paragraph of my response and seem to act like it doesn't exist, and also did the same for the second response where it suited you. Where I explain where I haven't been offended and in turn, state I don't things seriously, enough to both not get offended and inject a little snarkiness into a post without being a plank to talk to. It's not that I'm sitting here, laughing at every post and just ignoring them, or dismissing them. I'm not writing paragraphs for no reason. It's that if someone talks down to me, or calls me stupid, I'm not gonna care. Because I don't take this seriously in spite of making an attempt to argue one side, however valid it is. 

And yes, I provided okays, and not much substance, and I then reiterated and respoke on those points when raised, again. Yunno, the point of the second post that got us half a foot further which is ignored here up until a footnote.  And yeah, I don't think cooldown time means shit when you've already nuked someone, which is the "reason" behind a cool down. To punish not nuking them, for poor aim, blast eats, etc. Which I find hard to do when you're holding a rocket launcher, lol. It's not like I pick up rockets and go "oh, damn, I missed, better luck next time", I go "how the actual fuck did I miss" because it's damn near impossible to. Which is why I don't care about cooldown, or take it too highly. Of course I won't believe it when I play a game where it's a long shot that I'll miss. Which was my other actual issue. Stop making obnoxious, easy as hell nuke weapons OHKOs, lmao.

To me, this just reeks of the "moral high ground approach", where one's painted as somehow not open to discussing mechanics when I've also ranted on being convinced of things here, before, and again, am writing here for a reason. To spurn a discussion. If I didn't want to be convinced of, or try to be convinced X is true or false, I would talk in an echo chamber, not the one place where I know people will disagree for various reasons, and will shred me for an opposing or non-agreed with opinion. Aaaaand finally, that last sentence was irrelevant to any conversation, lol. If you were gonna respond to say "I'm not gonna respond further", then just don't bloody talk in the first place, lmao. Just let the argument fade into obscurity, because it accomplishes the same action without the (ironic) attitude. It's so easy to outright prove your point by not responding. 

It has nothing to do with a moral high ground lol. I would love to discuss mechanics in depth. Those other two paragraphs have nothing to do with me or our conversation. I could have sworn I didn't do anything to offend you yet I'm met with sarcastic responses immediately. You accuse people of not reading or responding to your post/point then immediately do it to mine. Just go and re-read where you essentially try to sum up my point. You clearly tried to spin my opinion into something you wanted to hear. How is it fair to say "don't bloody talk" in the first place should I decide not to respond further? I had no idea you weren't going to bother discussing this seriously. I'm literally only responding to this because somehow you are spinning this into a moral high ground thing now.

A weapon to me can be balanced through a lot of mechanics. RoF / Aim Assist/ Bullet Magnetism, Blast Radius, Travel Time, Ammo Count etc. We aren't even trying to talk about that here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you have any thoughts on how to better balance the sandbox?

I do. Go back to Halo 3 style sandbox. It's the last good Halo game. Keep it simple. People cry about the H3 BR on here all the time, but despite it's shortcomings, it's still by far the best BR in Halo history. If it was refined, it would be perfect. With it's low auto aim, low bullet magnetism, and having to lead your shots, it is the most skill defining BR. The H3 sniper is just about perfect. Then H3 AR is perfect for it's role too: not too weak and not too powerful. H3 rockets aren't overpowered and actually took skill to use. For the most part, you don't want a cluttered sand box. You want most encounters to be with the utility rifle. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ok, so I suck at objectives in Halo 1, anyone got some tips for me?

The planets aligned and I actually managed to get some 4v4 games in Halo 1 tonight.

Now I don't really have a lot of 4v4 experience in Halo 1 because just finding a 2v2 against Australian's is hard enough and LAN's are completely out of the question, so I've never really actually played objective 4v4 outside super casual games. 99% of my Halo 1 experience has been just 2v2 TS.

Tonight we got slaughtered.

On Derelict is there an easy way to get a team mate to spawn on the top of the map if you're getting spawn trapped?

On Battle Creek, is there an easy way to get team mates to spawn on the outside of the base?

Playing tonight was like re-learning the game again, lol.

Completely forgot BC had camo's at the back of the bases and rockets on the bottom of Derelict... Speaking of which, anyone got a Halo Timer they recommend that works for objective games?

I use an Android phone if it's an app. Would prefer a web app or something that's platform agnostic, but happy to download an app if necessary.

I've been using the timer here: https://eliteownage.com/halotimer.html

It's got a great UI and works well, but unfortunately it doesn't support objective game types.

Ah the "it turns to onslaught" argument again. Dude that's not true and had never been true. If you play Coli with no power weapons it's not going to be the same thing every time. The routes you end up taking will always be situational and you will BOT be doing the same thing every game. Sure, some maps will be more simple than others, but can we stop saying these things when it's just not true? The movement on maps will now be more determined by where you're spawning, where your teammates are, and where you want to push in that situation. Coli will still have the same flow. Just without power weapons.

So, when all power weapons/ups are out of play (or burned) does every map play like onslaught? Do you really believe that? Movement on a CTF map is determined by whatever you want it to be, wherever you want to go. Yes maps like onslaught exist, but that's not NEARLY every CTF map. That's literally just one example, that is been beaten to death over and over. And is like me saying "if you put power weapons on a map it will just play like Pit slayer. Where games can end 5-4." It's just one case of ONE map being a certain way.

Yawn.

Yeah. Sometimes a team gets a better spawn, especially on a map like Zanzibar. I can accept that.

But that shouldn't dictate anything past the first 2 minutes of the game. I'm not sure why you can't just accept that your team played horribly if you let some dude apparently hold a single rocket launcher the entire game. Also note I'm not saying it's YOUR fault, could be you played as well as you could but you had thumbless team mates running straight into rockets.

Complaining that they only won because of power weapons is like a chess player complaining that the Queen is OP or a rugby player complaining they lost the game because of field goals.

The rules are the same for all players, if you play to win you'll utilise all the advantages on the map.

As for our good mate Vobble Wobble, well unless I'm just a moron there's no way to see his MCC game history. We can however see his Halo 5 game history. Highest rank is Onyx in Team Arena and he's consistently managed to rank Diamond and Onyx when he's done placements, so at the very least we can assume he's actually a fairly decent player. He's also been playing Halo since at least Halo 2 as he's got stats from the original game.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/mode/arena/matches/3dc4467d-0e71-4d0f-b175-60996030dc1d/players/vobble%20wobble?gameHistoryMatchIndex=8&gameHistoryGameModeFilter=Arena

Here's some recent games when he's playing HCS playlist and just finished his placement matches, ranked Gold 6 and seems to be handling himself reasonably well against Diamonds.

So yeah... Looks like maybe he's not as bad as you think. Honestly based on your ranks in Halo 5 and his ranks in Halo 5 you're probably fairly close in terms of skill.

Honestly, if you don't like slayer and you don't like power ups and power weapons, why do you even play an arena FPS?

That would be like me playing Counter Strike and complaining I can't survive 3 head shots or playing Quake and complaining about strafe jumping.

Want an FPS that requires enormous amounts of team work and intelligent tactics and focuses purely on objectives? Yeah, that game exists, it's called Counter Strike. If you'd rather play on Xbox then R6:S is pretty similar. If you want a non-elimination style FPS then CoD spawns you with any assault rifle you want and you can play nothing but domination which is an objective game type.

I can't really fathom why you'd pick up an arena FPS and then complain about power ups and power weapons when these things have existed in arena FPS since freakin' Doom. Halo has already tried to copy all the latest FPS trends, can we not just allow Halo to be Halo?

If you were arguing for certain weapons to be nerfed then sure, I'd be on board. Rocket Launchers in later Halo games have a rate of fire that's too high and not enough splash damage to be a danger to the user. The Sword in Halo 2 was broken as fuck since it didn't run out of ammo. Sure, they should give you an advantage but they don't need to be The Redeemer from UT.

But to say these things shouldn't be on the map AT ALL, then I'm not sure why you play the game if that's how you feel about a fundamental arena FPS game mechanic. There's plenty of FPS out there that have no power weapons. Why would you want Halo to copy all those other games?

And if you want to play an arena FPS go play quake. Wow what a great argument this is. Where will this end up next

Ah the "it turns to onslaught" argument again. Dude that's not true and had never been true.

But it's the only example we've had of a map absolutely devoid of power weapons. Well, besides Amplified, but we can't use that because "SLYAER IS CANCER".

If you play Coli with no power weapons it's not going to be the same thing every time.

How do you know this? Have you tested it?

So, when all power weapons/ups are out of play (or burned) does every map play like onslaught? Do you really believe that? Movement on a CTF map is determined by whatever you want it to be, wherever you want to go.

You continue to use this argument, but this is a false equivalent. Yes there are times where no power weapons are up or at play, but even then it's just a few minutes till they're up again and this influences player behavior to a significant degree. Honestly, the player movement we'd see in Beast/IcePrincess Halo would be closer to how people move in SWAT/Sniper/Super Fiesta than what we see in regular Halo when no power weapons are up.

You can't just remove such an integral part of Halo's gameplay as power items and replace all of that with TWO FLAGS and expect the same gameplay depth. The gameplay wouldn't literally turn to Onslaught CTF, but the "meta" for lack of a better term would be limited to exactly that.

The planets aligned and I actually managed to get some 4v4 games in Halo 1 tonight.

Now I don't really have a lot of 4v4 experience in Halo 1 because just finding a 2v2 against Australian's is hard enough and LAN's are completely out of the question, so I've never really actually played objective 4v4 outside super casual games. 99% of my Halo 1 experience has been just 2v2 TS.

On Derelict is there an easy way to get a team mate to spawn on the top of the map if you're getting spawn trapped?

On Battle Creek, is there an easy way to get team mates to spawn on the outside of the base?

Completely forgot BC had camo's at the back of the bases and rockets on the bottom of Derelict... Speaking of which, anyone got a Halo Timer they recommend that works for objective games?

I use an Android phone if it's an app. Would prefer a web app or something that's platform agnostic, but happy to download an app if necessary.

It's got a great UI and works well, but unfortunately it doesn't support objective game types.

"Halo 1 Timer" on Android has Slayer, KotH and CTF settings.  its pretty easy to use and pretty accurate though i have only ever used it for 2v2 slayer.

On Derelict you can sometimes get a teammate to spawn on top if you stand near the corners to the left and right of the portals.  In 2v2 you can go bottom mid and pray they random up there. 4v4 you're probably screwed though since im sure you're not all going to dogpile on the random at the same time.

Speaking of doing things at the same time... if you want to get out of the base on Battle Creek you kind of all need to push at the same time or you can stand in a back corner of the base and try to get someone to spawn outside behind the base.

www.halowspawns.com is your best friend.  I feel your pain.  Im pretty good with other halo games, but with CE the struggle is real.

• Upvote (+1) 1

But it's the only example we've had of a map absolutely devoid of power weapons. Well, besides Amplified, but we can't use that because "SLYAER IS CANCER".

How do you know this? Have you tested it?

You continue to use this argument, but this is a false equivalent. Yes there are times where no power weapons are up or at play, but even then it's just a few minutes till they're up again and this influences player behavior to a significant degree. Honestly, the player movement we'd see in Beast/IcePrincess Halo would be closer to how people move in SWAT/Sniper/Super Fiesta than what we see in regular Halo when no power weapons are up.

You can't just remove such an integral part of Halo's gameplay as power items and replace all of that with TWO FLAGS and expect the same gameplay depth. The gameplay wouldn't literally turn to Onslaught CTF, but the "meta" for lack of a better term would be limited to exactly that.

No it would not lmao and that's the point. Dude obj games without power weapons play NOTHING like SWAT or Fiesta because uhhh you HAVE to move for the objectives ALL the time or you WILL lose. You can win SWAt games without taking 2 steps. You cannot win an objective game without pushing the objective. And yes, I have tested it but that's not the point because there needs to be a much bigger sample size. And I can bring up the point 1000 times about how there is still movement in obj games when power weapons aren't in play because that's literally my entire point. Games still are moving. The map geometry is still the same. You still need to control the same key parts of the map and you still need to block key spawns depending on that current situation. Stop trying to offhandedly call this game shallow and shit just because you played onslaught and that's somehow the ONLY way CTF maps can play with no power weapons. Go play some customs with friends, slap $20 on the matches to make it worth something and play an obj series in any halo 2-5 and tell me if it turns into onslaught.

"Halo 1 Timer" on Android has Slayer, KotH and CTF settings.

I've been having trouble picking the right gametype on the app before the game starts in the h1 4v4 playlist.

Is there any way to know which gametype youll be playing prior to the game starting now that voting is gone?

Great app though, highly recommended.

I've been having trouble picking the right gametype on the app before the game starts in the h1 4v4 playlist.

Is there any way to know which gametype youll be playing prior to the game starting now that voting is gone?

Great app though, highly recommended.

No, its one of the shitty things about the UI in MCC.  It only shows map, not anything else and it doesn't show you until it has already started loading.  Getting the timer working in 2v2 when you only have to worry about the map can be a struggle.  Sometimes the screen on my tablet will go dark and just those added few second to get it back on make the timer late, then i have to remember that 5 seconds is actually 0 and its a whole thing. 

I do. Go back to Halo 3 style sandbox. It's the last good Halo game. Keep it simple. People cry about the H3 BR on here all the time, but despite it's shortcomings, it's still by far the best BR in Halo history. If it was refined, it would be perfect. With it's low auto aim, low bullet magnetism, and having to lead your shots, it is the most skill defining BR. The H3 sniper is just about perfect. Then H3 AR is perfect for it's role too: not too weak and not too powerful. H3 rockets aren't overpowered and actually took skill to use. For the most part, you don't want a cluttered sand box. You want most encounters to be with the utility rifle. 

DBf0csFVoAAUDlK.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

I’ve played a good amount of it, both on LAN and MCC. I’d be happy to share what I know.

As far as spawns go, the game picks one living teammate to spawn dead guys from randomly. If you’re on Dere and you’re standing in the correct spot to spawn your teammate up, you’re doing your part, it he could very well just spawn off of one of your teammates instead. If you’re not the only one alive, and you’re standing on a random, all you’re doing is removing yourself as a possibility to spawn on. You aren’t going to give a random unless you’re the last guy alive. This is why it’s CRUCIAL to know how many are dead, and where your living teammates are. Take Hang Em; if we have 2 dead and I’m in red graves and my teammate is top blue, I’m either staying in the corner to random, or giving the blue pistol spawn every time. But if I’m the guy top blue and my teammate is in red graves, I’m damn sure NOT going to random, because then they’re going to spawn on him (unless he’s also randoming, which is unlikely). So there’s a lot more to think about as far as knowing when not to random.

Generally in 4v4 TS, Ball or King, you just want to spread the hell out. The easiest way to lose is to get surrounded and contained. So when you spawn, go to where your teammates aren’t, even if it’s not the greatest spot, and just hope they stay alive. Conversely, if you are playing from a good spot, it’s soooo much more important that you stay alive, because the chances of all 3 of your teammates randoming you are basically zero. You are the anchor for your team at that point.

Regarding Derelict, just try to get up. Don’t worry too much about spawns unless you’re last alive. Even on a 2 down, unless your teammate knows how to spawn up too, you have a 50-50 shot of them actually spawning off of you. Knowing where to stand to give top spawns is always helpful though. Look at halospawns.com for that. A handy one is when you’re up top in a cubby, just touch glass. They’ll spawn in front of you. Knowing any spot to spawn up when you’re last alive is a SUPER clutch thing you can do for your team. If you’re 2 down, your partner is up and you’re on bottom, remove yourself as a possible spawn by standing on the bottom mid random.

You can’t do shit to influence spawns in CTF, to my knowledge.

On BC TS or King, you can spawn your teammates behind the base by touching the back wall, at PR by touching the PR wall, or in front of the base (sometimes) by standing next to the door. They might get a basement spawn though. All of Light Snipe tower is a random, ladder included. Behind the base on the corner closest to Needler is a random. That’s a great one to use when you’re last alive, especially in King. In TS you typically want to do whatever you can to avoid giving front of base spawns.

I use the app called “Halo 1 Timer”, created by Noah Evans. It has what you’re looking for. I also have a video that shows the changes in obj map layouts towards the end of it: https://youtu.be/cvoY428wk5YdanSkip to 3:36

• Upvote (+1) 2