CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Forcing game chat won't fix shit. The majority of players probably don't even own a headset, which is why they aren't talking, not because they are in a party chat instead. Just look at reddit or waypoint for your average Halo player, do you think they own a mic? I'm not convinced the average Halo player knows what a call out is tbh.

Besides, when I played with others in Halo 5 ranked, we used Skype. Game chat and Party chat have a delay of about 1-1.5 seconds. Skype had barely any delay between saying something and it being heard by the rest of the party. A lot can change in 1-1.5 seconds, especially in Halo 5 with how fast everyone can traverse the map. Don't force me out of Skype when I'm in a 4 man because of the playlists restrictions focused on improving solo-Q.

I'd much prefer 343 focused on making their next game good and actually make one that doesn't suck. You'd find in a more popular game there'd be more people in game chat. You ever noticed how popular games like CS;GO, Rainbow 6 Siege, CoD etc all have active game chat? Its because people are playing those games. Halo's gamechat problem isn't solely because of party chat, its mainly because no one is playing Halo. (Halo Reach existed when party chat was around and gamechat was still huge, because people were playing it.)

Make the next Halo game not suck ass, and you'll find people in game-chat.

Xbox doesn't come with a mic but that's not the games fault and frankly has no bearing on the conversation. Most people still have mics.  And for people that truly don't they will be in the exact same boat as they are now since they can't use party chat in the first place so its truly a moot point.

You wouldn't get forced out of Skype since it's not Party Chat. Exceptions could also be put in place for players that are in full parties. If partySize == playlistTeamSize, forceGameChat = 0.

There are no complaints that are insurmountable with proper design.

Some people must just have shit luck. I played H2 Hardcore for about 3 hours last night 11-2 cst with either 2 or 3 other guys the whole time and never had any issues finding a game within 30 seconds.

Forcing game chat won't fix shit. The majority of players probably don't even own a headset, which is why they aren't talking, not because they are in a party chat instead. Just look at reddit or waypoint for your average Halo player, do you think they own a mic? I'm not convinced the average Halo player knows what a call out is tbh.

Besides, when I played with others in Halo 5 ranked, we used Skype. Game chat and Party chat have a delay of about 1-1.5 seconds. Skype had barely any delay between saying something and it being heard by the rest of the party. A lot can change in 1-1.5 seconds, especially in Halo 5 with how fast everyone can traverse the map. Don't force me out of Skype when I'm in a 4 man because of the playlists restrictions focused on improving solo-Q.

I'd much prefer 343 focused on making their next game good and actually make one that doesn't suck. You'd find in a more popular game there'd be more people in game chat. You ever noticed how popular games like CS;GO, Rainbow 6 Siege, CoD etc all have active game chat? Its because people are playing those games. Halo's gamechat problem isn't solely because of party chat, its mainly because no one is playing Halo. (Halo Reach existed when party chat was around and gamechat was still huge, because people were playing it.)

Make the next Halo game not suck ass, and you'll find people in game-chat.

Listening is just as important as calling out. And everyone knows what “behind you”, or “stay alive, I’m with you” means. No mic isn’t a huge deal if they can still hear you. Ice Princess is a great example of that.

If your party size matches the max party size, I see no reason for it to force game chat.

Regardless of popularity, there’s a principle of the matter. In a ranked playlist, you should be available for your team.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Some people must just have shit luck. I played H2 Hardcore for about 3 hours last night 11-2 cst with either 2 or 3 other guys the whole time and never had any issues finding a game within 30 seconds.

ehh, i dont think chalking up the problem to "shit luck" is really a good way to think about it.  Hopefully they continue to improve the game like they said they are going to.  I kind of hope this is a test for a new "Continuous delivery" philosophy.

And i don't think they are forcing dedi's 100% of the time either.  I actually don't care as long as the connection is good, but i got a "host migration" AGAIN last night on a shit connection so thats not cool.

I don’t know how feasible this is for 343 but they should have some servers, not playlists, that players can jump in and out of. Tour de Walsh on Midship, Tower of Power on Ascension, type of games that can go on for a really long time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is off topic, but Hurricane Florence is gonna make landfall later this week and where I live is pretty much gonna take the direct hit. It seems the hurricane won't be weakening any time soon nor will it change trajectory. Unfortunately, I won't be evacuating. So, for obvious reasons, ya'll probably won't hear from me for a while after Wednesday. Even if the power and internet somehow magically stay on, I'll probably be busy dealing with shit. If anyone here will also be affected, stay safe.

Stay safe out there man, fill your bathtub(s) with water so you have some extra. Let me know how things go. <3

• Upvote (+1) 1

One thing I'd really like to see is Social Slayer becoming Social Arena, and containing objective game modes. I know casuls would prefer Slayer only, but I honestly feel like there's just a unique experience to be found in objective game modes that they're missing out on. 

Like, objective forces you to become invested in your rando team mates, allowing them to become more than just 3 other people you don't shoot on sight.

• Upvote (+1) 6

One thing I'd really like to see is Social Slayer becoming Social Arena, and containing objective game modes. I know casuls would prefer Slayer only, but I honestly feel like there's just a unique experience to be found in objective game modes that they're missing out on. 

Like, objective forces you to become invested in your rando team mates, allowing them to become more than just 3 other people you don't shoot on sight.

I know its the old games, but they are trying to recreate the old matchmaking experience way too much.  Halo has ALWAYS had issues with playlist management, too many ranked lists, overlapping playlists, setting shitty player expectations etc.  They need to fix the games to play the way we remember them, not emulate the playlist experience too.

There shouldnt be BOTH Team Arena and Hardcore for each game.  Snipers shouldn't be in the Team Arena playlist. It should be a rotational. H3 doesn't need its own BTB list. This. Shit. Is. Not. Hard.  They just have to have the balls to do it.  This is a great opportunity to define playlist management and set player expectations going forward and its being squandered.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I know its the old games, but they are trying to recreate the old matchmaking experience way too much.  Halo has ALWAYS had issues with playlist management, too many ranked lists, overlapping playlists, setting shitty player expectations etc.  They need to fix the games to play the way we remember them, not emulate the playlist experience too.

There shouldnt be BOTH Team Arena and Hardcore for each game.  Snipers shouldn't be in the Team Arena playlist. It should be a rotational. H3 doesn't need its own BTB list. This. Shit. Is. Not. Hard.  They just have to have the balls to do it.  This is a great opportunity to define playlist management and set player expectations going forward and its being squandered.

Trying to please everyone usually winds up leaving no one happy. 

The currently playlist lineup besides stupid Social Slayer is the best we're gonna get without multi-queue or filters. Stuff like H3 Doubles might be debatable, but merging Arena and Hardcore will not end well for either audience. H3 BTB was cut from the other BTBs for a reason: H3 kids would either outvote the other games or flat out quit out of all the other games as soon as the game starts (very effective quit bans btw 343). I'm all for fewer playlists in Halo games and yes this has been a huge issue historically. But keep in mind that MCC has 5 different games in it and you just can't combine the MLG, Social Arena and BTB audiences without creating issues.

The real problem is that people still get randomly disconnected from games, that ranks are broken again and that the settings suck. The fact they postponed the custom game browser and didn't add a solid progression system with a massive RELAUNCH hype probably also killed the game for good,

• Upvote (+1) 3

I know its the old games, but they are trying to recreate the old matchmaking experience way too much. Halo has ALWAYS had issues with playlist management, too many ranked lists, overlapping playlists, setting shitty player expectations etc. They need to fix the games to play the way we remember them, not emulate the playlist experience too.

There shouldnt be BOTH Team Arena and Hardcore for each game. Snipers shouldn't be in the Team Arena playlist. It should be a rotational. H3 doesn't need its own BTB list. This. Shit. Is. Not. Hard. They just have to have the balls to do it. This is a great opportunity to define playlist management and set player expectations going forward and its being squandered.

we tried mixed btb and it was all quitters. They dont have the knowledge to do mixed tape playlists which would fix everything. They dont have the balls to implement better settings to arena but casuals wouldnt play without radar.

Removing social slayer will greatly improve playlist health tho.

Removing the hardcore ce, h2, and h3 playlists would be the best move if we get dedis for customs and the custom game browser

Edit: i agree with ice princess. For right now, make all arena playlists social, remove social slayer and just have 3 ranked playlists. Or 4 if h3 dubs but remove radar from it. Ranked shouldnt have radar

• Upvote (+1) 1

The currently playlist lineup besides stupid Social Slayer is the best we're gonna get without multi-queue or filters. Stuff like H3 Doubles might be debatable, but merging Arena and Hardcore will not end well for either audience. H3 BTB was cut from the other BTBs for a reason: H3 kids would either outvote the other games or flat out quit out of all the other games as soon as the game starts (very effective quit bans btw 343). I'm all for fewer playlists in Halo games and yes this has been a huge issue historically. But keep in mind that MCC has 5 different games in it and you just can't combine the MLG, Social Arena and BTB audiences without creating issues.

I don't think they should merge Hardcore and Arena, but they should definitely make Arena the social playlist. Have one act as a "warmup" or just an introduction before moving into ranked, at least, if they're gonna keep them. Better than having two ranked playlists where one has inferior settings for kids to ego over. 

I just find it humorous that you could play MCC BTB six months ago, and H3 BTB now and get a fundamentally identical experience. Fucking nuts.

Fuck no to remerging H3 BTB with the rest of them it’ll just end up with the same issue that we had before people quitting out when it’s not selected putting with the others doesn’t solve anything.

I’d also like to see heavies return to the playlist at some point as well makes sense just to let H3 BTB exist by itself.

we tried mixed btb and it was all quitters. They dont have the knowledge to do mixed tape playlists which would fix everything. They dont have the balls to implement better settings to arena but casuals wouldnt play without radar.

Removing social slayer will greatly improve playlist health tho.

Removing the hardcore ce, h2, and h3 playlists would be the best move if we get dedis for customs and the custom game browser

Edit: i agree with ice princess. For right now, make all arena playlists social, remove social slayer and just have 3 ranked playlists. Or 4 if h3 dubs but remove radar from it. Ranked shouldnt have radar

Social slayer was easily the worst idea. Mixtape would fix so much and if they threw in a Veto option that would really top it off.

I don't think they should merge Hardcore and Arena, but they should definitely make Arena the social playlist. Have one act as a "warmup" or just an introduction before moving into ranked, at least, if they're gonna keep them. Better than having two ranked playlists where one has inferior settings for kids to ego over. 

I just find it humorous that you could play MCC BTB six months ago, and H3 BTB now and get a fundamentally identical experience. Fucking nuts.

Merging hardcore and arena would be the best way to set player expectations going forward.  Thats really my primary motivation to merging them.  Rip off the bandaid.  Remove snipers. combine the map/gametype pool. Use MLG settings.  But i get it, people want a pure nostalgia trip or REALLY LOVE their radar and if that's too big of a hill to climb fine i understand the argument. It's not the hill i'm going to die on.

BUT at least a few things need to happen, 1) Team Arena needs to be renamed Social Arena and made a social playlist. 2) Hardcore needs to be renamed Team Arena or Ranked Arena.  Enough of this "hardcore" nonsense. 3) Social slayer needs to be removed. Period.  Cross-game playlists should be reserved for rotationals.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Oh for sure. Turn Team Hardcore into Team Arena and rename Team Arena to Social Mixtape, Grab Bag or something. Social Slayer needs to fucking die in a fire.

Yeah this is ridiculous, agreed.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Merging hardcore and arena would be the best way to set player expectations going forward.  Thats really my primary motivation to merging them.  Rip off the bandaid.  Remove snipers. combine the map/gametype pool. Use MLG settings.  But i get it, people want a pure nostalgia trip or REALLY LOVE their radar and if that's too big of a hill to climb fine i understand the argument. It's not the hill i'm going to die on.

BUT at least a few things need to happen, 1) Team Arena needs to be renamed Social Arena and made a social playlist. 2) Hardcore needs to be renamed Team Arena or Ranked Arena.  Enough of this "hardcore" nonsense. 3) Social slayer needs to be removed. Period.  Cross-game playlists should be reserved for rotationals.

I don't really mind Social Slayer. Snipers needs to go and become a rotational at best, get it the fuck out of Arena, and MLG settings should always be used in social, lol. Screw radar, and don't cater to those sorta kids in the same way we don't cater to AR starts, pick up everything on the map kids. Towards Hardcore, I'd say yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, maybe rename it, but Halo 5 also has playlists named just "Arena", and shit, and they tend to be at the bottom of popularity lists. I'd say it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it'd help much, either.

Provided 343 has the capability, what about Tommy Kost's proposal?

Check which games you want to play, and then have individual playlists for each game mode. Eliminates cross-game playlists, and eliminates several playlists per game for the same mode.

e.g. You want to play Halo 3 doubles. You uncheck everything except Halo 3 and then search the "Team Doubles" playlist. As long as someone else has H3 installed and checked, you can match them. For example, you can match someone that has only Halo 3 installed, or has every game installed. If you want to play Halo 1 2v2, then you uncheck everything aside from Halo 1 and you have the H1 Doubles playlist as it is in current MCC. Yet it is the same playlist.

There's too many playlists and merging MLG and social (and similar ideas) sounds ridiculous. This idea would eliminate most people's issues with the playlists while also minimizing the amount of them. I get that 343 hate Tommy but given the current state of the game I don't see how this idea could go wrong if it functions properly.

Check which games you want to play, and then have individual playlists for each game mode. Eliminates cross-game playlists, and eliminates several playlists per game for the same mode.

e.g. You want to play Halo 3 doubles. You uncheck everything except Halo 3 and then search the "Team Doubles" playlist. As long as someone else has H3 installed and checked, you can match them. For example, you can match someone that has only Halo 3 installed, or has every game installed. If you want to play Halo 1 2v2, then you uncheck everything aside from Halo 1 and you have the H1 Doubles playlist as it is in current MCC. Yet it is the same playlist.

There's too many playlists and merging MLG and social (and similar ideas) sounds ridiculous. This idea would eliminate most people's issues with the playlists while also minimizing the amount of them. I get that 343 hate Tommy but given the current state of the game I don't see how this idea could go wrong if it functions properly.

I think the desire for cross-game playlists is vastly overstated. Who actually goes into a playlist and is completely ambivalent about what game they play? Players and parties go into a playlist with a specific game in mind that they really want to play. Why make everything so complicated with cross-game playlists that very few people actually care about or want? If you want variety in your play session, then switch playlists every few games; personally that has no appeal to me, but it's certainly better than pretending like a cross-game playlist is a good idea for anyone. A cross game playlist really serves no one. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't really mind Social Slayer. Snipers needs to go and become a rotational at best, get it the fuck out of Arena, and MLG settings should always be used in social, lol. Screw radar, and don't cater to those sorta kids in the same way we don't cater to AR starts, pick up everything on the map kids. Towards Hardcore, I'd say yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, maybe rename it, but Halo 5 also has playlists named just "Arena", and shit, and they tend to be at the bottom of popularity lists. I'd say it wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it'd help much, either.

I played 6 games of H2A yesterday... played snipers 5 fucking times. Who thought that was a good idea? Team Arena in H5 tends to be in the middle of the most popular lists. Slightly better than it was when it was 2 separate playlists.

The mixtape/multi-queue idea has been floated before and 343 responded basically saying it wasn't possible.  I am not sure how a playlist with multiple game in it is possible and mixtape isn't but... whatever the fuck.

I played 6 games of H2A yesterday... played snipers 5 fucking times. Who thought that was a good idea? Team Arena in H5 tends to be in the middle of the most popular lists. Slightly better than it was when it was 2 separate playlists.

The mixtape/multi-queue idea has been floated before and 343 responded basically saying it wasn't possible. I am not sure how a playlist with multiple game in it is possible and mixtape isn't but... whatever the fuck.

They didn't say it wasn't possible, they just said it was out of the scope of the project.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They didn't say it wasn't possible, they just said it was out of the scope of the project.

Ahh, well either way that means they aren't going to do it.

Ahh, well either way that means they aren't going to do it.

True, but I think it speaks volumes that they're either too lazy or incompetent to use an objectively better system and would rather waste time arguing with people on twitter about playlists lol. But you're right, bottom line is we're stuck with this system.

• Upvote (+1) 5

True, but I think it speaks volumes that they're either too lazy or incompetent to use an objectively better system and would rather waste time arguing with people on twitter about playlists lol. But you're right, bottom line is we're stuck with this system.

I assume the way matchmaking works at the moment is that it just groups 8 people together, and *then* randomly assigns them a game, map, and gametype. Or any set combination that is possible within the playlist.

So if that's the case, then it'd make sense why they can't incorporate the ability to allow players to set a preference when it comes to the games.

I assume the way matchmaking works at the moment is that it just groups 8 people together, and *then* randomly assigns them a game, map, and gametype. Or any set combination that is possible within the playlist.

So if that's the case, then it'd make sense why they can't incorporate the ability to allow players to set a preference when it comes to the games.

It's not completely uncharted territory though. I mean in CSGO you can literally tick what maps you want to play, TF2 has mixtape, Rocket League has multi-queue. We've even had similar systems in Halo before with non-mandatory DLC packs. I'm not sure if it tried to match DLC players against one another, but it's basically the same concept. Their only excuse is "it's a lot of work".

It's not completely uncharted territory though. I mean in CSGO you can literally tick what maps you want to play, TF2 has mixtape, Rocket League has multi-queue. We've even had similar systems in Halo before with non-mandatory DLC packs. I'm not sure if it tried to match DLC players against one another, but it's basically the same concept. Their only excuse is "it's a lot of work".

No, you're right. I'm just speculating as to why its not possible at the moment. That being said, I really hope this isn't the end of post-launch support for MCC. The game could really use a new slew of features, with game preference being one of them.