CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I get it, you guys take ranked WAY too serious an think EVERY game requires CONSTANT communication and 110% effort.

This is only half of it.

The other half is just wanting to feel like part of a living community with actual people instead of bots.

There's plenty of games that offer bot matches, hell, put bots on hard mode in UT and the game probably takes more skill than all Halo's combined.

There's a good number of players that play multiplayer because they like the SOCIAL aspect of it, hence playlists literally called SOCIAL Slayer. The point of these playlists is to just relax and have fun. I imagine when the developers put the word "social" as part of the playlist name they expected it to be... errr... social?

But never mind, apparently I'm just an old grandpa that doesn't remember anything properly, so I guess my 20 years of online gaming experience means nothing in this conversation... lol

• Upvote (+1) 3

Man I need that server browser. I just pray to God that it's not all crap gamemodes like the H5 browser.

The reason it's filled with crap game modes is because the custom game setup itself is shitty.

Where's our option for dedicated servers with a map rotation? How about some filters like... gee... I dunno, latency maybe?

No one is gonna bother browsing through 20 pages of forge crap to find one good server when match making exists. If customs are going to get any attention it needs a UI that isn't AIDS and it needs to allow some sort of admin control like PC games.

I've gone through the last few pages trying to sort out the inflammatory posts from the discussion. Please stop using buzzwords like "safe space" and calling people stupid when they disagree with you or bans will start being handed out.

Please keep it more civil in here.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What happened in the last decade or so where people are against using their mic?

I'm genuinely curious because I do this to, but back when I first got Xbox Live I was using that thing to talk to EVERYONE.

Party chat has created a vicious cycle of diminishing returns. I plug my mic in, I play 10 matches. In 7 of those matches my teammates are in party chat, and don’t invite me. 2 of those matches, no one had a mic because they’ve given up on the idea of having teammates that talk. 1 match has good comms.

So the next time I log in for 10 games, I don’t even bother wearing a headset since 9/10 of the people i’ll play with won’t be talking back. Now I’ve become part of the problem because I didn’t have my mic on for that 1 game that would’ve had good comms- which causes someone else to give up on the idea.

Party Chat is a good idea. people can chat with their friends, regardless of the game they are playing. That good for XBL as a social network. The problem is, the games themselves used to be social networks as well. Most of my Xbox live friendslist is comprised of people I met in H2 matches. Now it’s rare that I meet people online now.

having to constantly switch between voice channels in order to utilize game chat is far too cumbersome, and most people won’t bother to do it. This is why, at a system level, the API needs to allow PTT for gamechat, even if players are in Party Chat.

Now I’m seeing people suggest times have changed and people who want to talk should squad up. Nevermind that Xbox live’s player base trends older and users don’t have time to coordinate game night with irl friends (if they even have friends who game). Umm... times haven’t changed - talking is still the most effective way to build relationships and coordinate with teammates- it’s been that way for hundreds of thousands of years - predating Halo 2 by a long shot. Having a system in place that actively discourages voice comms between teammates is self-depreciating.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The social nature of Halo was what made it so big, especially during Halo 3. Even though the core game mechanics are objectively just not that good, the different social features is what made it so huge addicting to play. I remember while sitting in pregame lobby waiting for the map to load, and you’d be searching through people’s fileshares looking for new maps and gametypes to play, or looking at the dope screenshots made by people like Predator5791. Those small individual things fostered so many communities under this one game, whether it was forging, taking screenshots or making montages or recording machinimas. And so many small things enabled all that. Halo was just so modular like that, and its so heartwrenhing that in just a few years this franchise has been butchered into a shadow of its former self. Given the history and nostalgia for this franchise, it could easily make an impactful comeback if it were handed to a developer who could competently put together a fun game that retained player attention and gave an insentive to play. To a lot of us it seems so obvious what needs to done because we actually invest time into the experience. We’re dealing with people who probably barely even play video games. They’re beholden to people who are looking at market trends and focus group data that is informing their decisions on game design. These aren’t people concerned with making a fun experience. Shit, you can see that very mindset distinguised between Bungie and 343 when watching ViDocs. Bungie sucked but, fuck, them dudes really invested some heart into the game at least. It was THEIR franchise. 343 just feels like a M$ placeholder that is just trying to maintain a staple xbox exclusive because it still brings in revenue. If they genuinely cared about the success of this franchise we would have been given more than a botched patch of a 4-year old game that was marketed as fixing it. What is fucked up is that if we were given a perfect update with a good matchmaking and a custom browser that worked, it probably could have revived this game. All it takes is a couple big streamers like Ninja to to stream it, and that could easily generate mainstream interest in the franchise again. ESPECIALLY IF IT WAS ON PC. Look at what ElDewrito did in just a few days with no mainstream baking behind it. I’ll be willing to bet Microsoft ain’t even gonna make anything of that either.

The Master Chief Collection is just the biggest missed and wasted oppurtinity in the history of gaming. I don’t even think Microsoft or 343 is even aware of it, nor do I think they care. They got their quick $60 from all us circa Nov. 2014.

Also sorry for long, somewhat disgoranized rant. I’m tripping on some acid and decided to come lurk, but shit’s got me mad in my thoughts about Halo so I needed to just let someone hear it. As far as I’m concerned the Beyond community and any likeminded people like Tommy Kost and Favyn, are the only people who’s opinion on this game should be weighted it any meaningful way. Go to reddit or Waypoint and the people who occupy those spaces are the people who are concered with what Armor is their favorite, or having discussions about playable Elites and stupid shit like that. Those people’s opinions generally should not matter at all when it comes to game design decision making, as their opinions are just not formed in any deep thought about what’s good for the game. They just wanna run around as dinos and play customs with their friends, at the end of the day.

• Upvote (+1) 4

To be clear, I’m not calling any person selfish. I said that a certain action was selfish (in a hypothetical scenario for Christ’s sake), and explained why. There is a big difference.

What happened here was that Beast read it, said “hey I do that”, and then took it personally and decided to lash out.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Now I’m seeing people suggest times have changed and people who want to talk should squad up. Nevermind that Xbox lives’s player base trends older and users don’t have time to coordinate game night with irl friends (if they even have friends who game). Umm... times haven’t changed - talking is still the most effective way to build relationships and coordinate with teammates- it’s been that way for hundreds of thousands of years - predating Halo 2 by a long shot. Having a system in place that actively discourages voice comms between teammates is self depreciating.

Thank you. You've put this into words better than I could.

That describes me well.

Most my Halo buddies have moved on from Halo now, or they still play but they're very busy.

I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. Even if I can get on with my friends I get interrupted all the time. It's really annoying if I have to tell my mates, "oh play a few rounds without me, I've got to go settle my 1 year old back to sleep". Then I've gotta go for 10 minutes, come back and wait for them to finish their game. This might happen like 10 times during a night if my kids are sick or something.

Hence why I often queue up solo.

Really easy to say "just squad up with people" when you're young and have no responsibilities, but unfortunately life gets busy eventually and games have to take a back seat.

That doesn't mean I don't want to play to win when I do get a chance to play and it's pretty damn hard to make new friends online when no one has a mic plugged in.

For anyone that hasn't seen it, I made a video on this topic a few years ago:

As far as I’m concerned the Beyond community and any likeminded people like Tommy Kost and Favyn, are the only people who’s opinion on this game should be weighted it any meaningful way. Go to reddit or Waypoint and the people who occupy those spaces are the people who are concered with what Armor is their favorite, or having discussions about playable Elites and stupid shit like that. Those people’s opinions generally should not matter at all when it comes to game design decision making, as their opinions are just not formed in any deep thought about what’s good for the game. They just wanna run around as dinos and play customs with their friends, at the end of the day.

You have no idea how demoralising it is to spend a day researching and writing an 8 page script for a video

Stay up until 3am recording myself when the family is asleep cuz that's the only time I can record in silence

Capture some decent gameplay footage

Edit the video together and gather different assets needed

Create a thumbnail

Render the video

Upload 1.5gb on my garbage internet

Submit to Reddit and get like 5 comments and 10 upvotes...

Meanwhile someone literally TAKES A PICTURE OF A FUCKING MASTER CHIEF POSTER and gets like 1000 upvotes and 300 comments.

Then I get told by mods to be careful of submitting too much of my own content (I make a video like once every 3 months or something) because of their "self promotion" rules, because apparently it's wrong for me to submit my own content which I spent hours creating to benefit the Halo community to a discussion board about Halo. Apparently they would rather I submit a picture of a master chief action figure or some bullshit. The self promotion rules exist only to benefit large sites that have all their content submitted anyway by other users (or more likely, they pay an agency to boost their shit to the front page) while smaller niche content creators are basically told we're not wanted.

Unfortunately these days unless Ninja retweets your video or something a place like Reddit is the only hope of ever getting your content noticed. I really do wish Halo pros would put more effort into getting good ideas noticed by the casual community and 343 though. I'm a nobody but if someone like Ghostayame posts on Reddit everyone pays attention. There's plenty of good ideas that get thrown around on these forums but it's all just preaching to the choir.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Does the PR slow movement down in CE on MCC like it does on the OG Xbox?

No.  You recover faster on MCC than OG.  Still works though as long as you're dead accurate with it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does the PR slow movement down in CE on MCC like it does on the OG Xbox?

it tries. But past like melee beatdown distance the shots dont register well making it almost useless.

Jesus Christ how did it become controversial on teambeyond to say party chat ruined halo and we need game chat back in the ranked? This used to be the well accepted opinion here. When did people decide to start shitting on the ranking system or on people caring about winning in a ranked playlist? We're on a competitive Halo forum for God's sake. If you want to shit on people who want to play competitively then take your scrub mentality to reddit and stick to social playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 9

So instead of fixing ONE individual bug from www.halobugs.com for Halo 1, 343 decided to make the glitch where you could get above the map on Damnation impossible (it's possible in the original from 15 years ago). You had to stand in a precise spot in the portal and jump when your teammate came through so it was insanely hard to do by accident. Once up there, you couldn't really do much.

So 343 didn't fix ONE individual bug that they caused but fixed a glitch from 15 years ago. This fix completely fucked up every single portal on every map. People are getting stuck in portals unable to get out. If you move anything but straight, it will instantly put you back through the otherside. If you walk through a port they can pretty much suck you in now.

1 glitch from 15 years ago that very few people knew what to do got fixed and fucked up the game on every portal on every map. Not one individual bug from MCC got fixed yet.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I capped off my prior post saying I'm not expecting people to be professional level players, I just expect competence. Once you get past single digits, you should have a basic understanding of the game. And I never get it. Ever. Not even luck, I just expect shitty teammates, now. And I get them. Besides, I shouldn't need to actually tell someone to back off. It's something you yourself are in full control over. You know your shield strength, your movement speed, nearby cover, etc better than I do. Learn to back off on your own, lmao. I'm not withholding any information by not saying it, people are just reckless and challenge to the death. Shit happens. I used to do it a lot. Still do in social games, lol. It's still entirely my fault and someone doesn't need to hold my hand to tell me I'm doing it, or when to back off.

You won't even get competent players at level 50 consistently let alone 15. You mean to tell me you have never once seen anything in a game that could have slipped by a teammate? You never approached a fight aggressively because of your teammates positions only to catch them doing nothing? Never left an important weak kill near a teammate that didn't quite see where he went?

I don't buy that. Many top teams still used a coach to relay call outs, organize pushes and time the items. All top players knew how to do this yet still need a reminding. Also why "small talk" is so important at a top level. Saying "I'm with you" or "back down" is incredibly common.. yet all those people know their move speed, shield etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Jesus Christ how did it become controversial on teambeyond to say party chat ruined halo and we need game chat back in the ranked? This used to be the well accepted opinion here. When did people decide to start shitting on the ranking system or on people caring about winning in a ranked playlist? We're on a competitive Halo forum for God's sake. If you want to shit on people who want to play competitively then take your scrub mentality to reddit and stick to social playlists.

Forced game chat made everything cool and fun. If you played infection mw3, that shit was soo lit to hear everyones reactions lmao, that with SND. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Game could of been bigger but it took nearly 4 years to fix. I say by next year mcc is dead. Sad as that sounds. They rubbed people the wrong way.

I wish I could find games in the morning but it’s nearly impossible for H2 Hardcore. I can’t find anyone to play customs with either.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Game could of been bigger but it took nearly 4 years to fix. I say by next year mcc is dead. Sad as that sounds. They rubbed people the wrong way.

I wish I could find games in the morning but it’s nearly impossible for H2 Hardcore. I can’t find anyone to play customs with either.

Are you from the US? I've had 0 problems finding games in H2 Hardcore at any time of day whether it be 6 AM or 6 PM.

Are you from the US? I've had 0 problems finding games in H2 Hardcore at any time of day whether it be 6 AM or 6 PM.

Yes, I seriously can’t find anything until nighttime usually. I’m a rank 13 idk if that matters but it takes a long fkn time