CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

If this senseless bickering doesn't stop I'm turning this thread around and going back to Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

They should just have party chat & game chat on simultaneously.

By default your voice will travel over party chat. PTT and your voice will be heard in game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

And I'm not exactly obligated to be people's teacher in a competitive environment. I don't get why the responsibility's pushed on me, not the people who're lagging behind. Again, I can empathize with someone not being good, I can get that be frustrating, but it's not my job to make you better. It wasn't other people's jobs to make me better, either. I just watched them and emulated what they were doing. I took the initiative because I sucked in any competitive environment. And it's not someone else's responsibility to give me a free hand out. It's my responsibility to take a loss on the nose and figure out my issues. Go into theater or watch streams, and figure out where people moved, how they did, why, when. Connect the dots. I don't get this mentality of "it's everyone's fault BUT the person who sucks", and the person who doesn't suck should be the one teaching everyone else. Especially when I've gotten into arguments with people over shit pertaining to this before, lol. 

No, I'm not calling them selfish. Reread what I said. I said in a hypothetical, why are they not selfish for learning the game before they play in a ranked setting, thus acting as an anchor, while people who do know shit and simply don't talk for whatever reason are called selfish in spite of how they outperform others. I don't think anyone's selfish for playing the game how they want, hence why I never laid on that, and why I questioned the claim over making it, myself. I'm just asking why people making one choice is somehow bad, while others making another, sometimes unarguably poorer choice isn't. 

I feel as if you're putting level 50 expectations on level 15 players. I think your points would be more valid if you were closer to a level where the majority of the players knew the game inside and out. I'm one of the biggest advocates for constant self-improving. There's always something out there that someone can improve in or at the very least improve on the speed of their decisions. These players probably just don't have the time or desire to actually improve through anything but experience. Idk about H2A but I'd say with the older Halo games especially. There's really no incentive to spend the time required.

I made a post a while back about how I didn't understand players who didn't try to consciously improve to get better compared to those who played for an arbitrary number that doesn't literally define skill. Low to mid-level Halo players are the epitome of this.

Telling a teammate to push back, giving a callout on a weak player or someone behind a teammate are such simple and easy ways to help the team. If you are withholding information that can help the team, I don't see a problem with calling it selfish. It's not saying your playing terrible or are a bad halo player overall. 

My friends are constantly trying to drag me into Overwatch's game chat for competitive. It's such a frustrating game for a few reasons but my biggest pet peeve in playing was calling out non-stop and then seeing that nobody is responding to them. It's as if I didn't even need to join or call out since they aren't going to respond anyway. At that point, I wasn't playing at a top skill level but still expected my friends to respond to every little thing. I'd admit me not wanting to go to chat was selfish. Hell one major reason I did was that a good amount of people had no mics or wouldn't use them but could listen. If they listened to half of the call outs it's better than none.

A push to talk for game chat would be awesome. There are a lot of solutions out there that could work and I don't think I would be advocating to remove party chat as a whole.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think people have really gotten soft.

On a related note, does anyone know why on any of my accounts, smurf or main, I haven't heard a voice in years? It's like I'm com banned but the opposite.

I play h5 and MCC. Is there a setting I'm missing or what?

• Upvote (+1) 6

And you're also not answering my actual question in my latest post. If you're so hellbent on communication, why are you hinging on random people of various backgrounds to do it with? Why not get a squad before you begin to matchmake. Again, you know the risks involved when acting as a TO1. We all do. Yet you still play as one and will seemingly get angry when people don't call out. So, what's stopping you from squadding.

Every time you reply you pretend Halo 2 didn't exist.

The reason I don't team up with people is because I have kids so I don't get to play at hours most people play. When I get a chance to jump online it's often spontaneous and I have limited time. I might get to squeeze in half a dozen games if I'm extremely lucky. I don't have the time to waste asking people to come online, sending out invites and waiting for responses.

The "risks" involved in searching solo didn't exist more than a decade ago.

In Halo 2 I just fired up team slayer, got paired with people roughly my skill level and then we worked as a team because that's the type of community that was fostered.

forcing people to not use party chat will just cause people not to play.

What, like all the players that quit Halo 2 because of no party chat? Oh wait...

I really wonder why they again shipped an update that clearly wasn't ready. Like how many times do they have to learn this lesson? First impressions matter. This relaunch created a good amount of hype, but now everyone will leave again because shit still doesn't work. A few more weeks of work with a proper relaunch would have done wonders. But no. Let's set an arbitrary deadline for September 1st and ship another dysfunctional product.

This is literally the THIRD TIME they've screwed a launch.

1. MCC

2. Halo 5 (high ranks couldn't find matches and region lock) - I don't think I EVER managed to get an FFA ranking because I could never finish my placement matches

3. MCC re-launch LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME FUCKING ISSUES THEY HAD WITH HALO 5. LITERALLY THE EXACT FUCKING SAME.

Region lock... AGAIN.

High rank players can't find matches... AGAIN.

They REMOVED REGION LOCK in Halo 5 after complaints from half the world... Then in their infinite wisdom introduced it back to MCC after patching it... 4 years after the games comes out...

WTF? Did they think like 500,000 players were just going to start playing MCC again just because of a patch?

So now MCC re-launches and already most of Oceania, South America and Asia have uninstalled the game already... GG. Hell, even European players can barely find games now!

Region lock, too many playlists and MASSIVE issues, like the same AFK players game after game after game after game.

I watched Ogre 2 play last night and he got insta-kicked from a game for a single betrayal. Meanwhile half his games had AFK players just sitting there without any punishment at all.

I mean, seriously, it's pretty clear this was yet again another rushed, half-assed job from 343.

Meanwhile, Ubisoft took their botched launch with Rainbow Six Siege and turned it around in a quarter of the time it's taken 343 to "fix" MCC and now R6:S is one of the most popular online FPS in a genre that has historically been extremely niche.

Fuck, 343, hear me out...

You want people to return to games that are a decade old? Hmmmm, here's an idea... HOW ABOUT SOME NEW MAPS?!

• Upvote (+1) 5

I feel as if you're putting level 50 expectations on level 15 players. I think your points would be more valid if you were closer to a level where the majority of the players knew the game inside and out. I'm one of the biggest advocates for constant self-improving. There's always something out there that someone can improve in or at the very least improve on the speed of their decisions. These players probably just don't have the time or desire to actually improve through anything but experience. Idk about H2A but I'd say with the older Halo games especially. There's really no incentive to spend the time required.

I made a post a while back about how I didn't understand players who didn't try to consciously improve to get better compared to those who played for an arbitrary number that doesn't literally define skill. Low to mid-level Halo players are the epitome of this.

Telling a teammate to push back, giving a callout on a weak player or someone behind a teammate are such simple and easy ways to help the team. If you are withholding information that can help the team, I don't see a problem with calling it selfish. It's not saying your playing terrible or are a bad halo player overall. 

My friends are constantly trying to drag me into Overwatch's game chat for competitive. It's such a frustrating game for a few reasons but my biggest pet peeve in playing was calling out non-stop and then seeing that nobody is responding to them. It's as if I didn't even need to join or call out since they aren't going to respond anyway. At that point, I wasn't playing at a top skill level but still expected my friends to respond to every little thing. I'd admit me not wanting to go to chat was selfish. Hell one major reason I did was that a good amount of people had no mics or wouldn't use them but could listen. If they listened to half of the call outs it's better than none.

A push to talk for game chat would be awesome. There are a lot of solutions out there that could work and I don't think I would be advocating to remove party chat as a whole.

I capped off my prior post saying I'm not expecting people to be professional level players, I just expect competence. Once you get past single digits, you should have a basic understanding of the game. And I never get it. Ever. Not even luck, I just expect shitty teammates, now. And I get them. Besides, I shouldn't need to actually tell someone to back off. It's something you yourself are in full control over. You know your shield strength, your movement speed, nearby cover, etc better than I do. Learn to back off on your own, lmao. I'm not withholding any information by not saying it, people are just reckless and challenge to the death. Shit happens. I used to do it a lot. Still do in social games, lol. It's still entirely my fault and someone doesn't need to hold my hand to tell me I'm doing it, or when to back off.

Every time you reply you pretend Halo 2 didn't exist.

The reason I don't team up with people is because I have kids so I don't get to play at hours most people play. When I get a chance to jump online it's often spontaneous and I have limited time. I might get to squeeze in half a dozen games if I'm extremely lucky. I don't have the time to waste asking people to come online, sending out invites and waiting for responses.

The "risks" involved in searching solo didn't exist more than a decade ago.

In Halo 2 I just fired up team slayer, got paired with people roughly my skill level and then we worked as a team because that's the type of community that was fostered.

What, like all the players that quit Halo 2 because of no party chat? Oh wait...

I don't pretend Halo 2 didn't exist, I just acknowledge Halo 2 is literally irrelevant at this point, being a decade and a half old. Surprise surprise, the gaming landscape has changed in that time, as has how people communicate, so I don't use that as a reference guide to what's good in the now. Would also be willing to argue the risks did exist, but confirmation bias exists and one just doesn't remember the times where people without mics occurred and people did what they do now. 14 years, man, quite a bit of time to forget things like that, lol. Especially when you get older, and your experiences over time become much more muddled the further back you think. Which is why using that 14 year experience as a basis for this argument is on its own, super flawed and anecdotal, without actual merit bar "this is how I remember it", hence why I choose to ignore it. But that's neither here nor there. Cool memories, bro. Don't mean much to me in an argument without evidence to back them up.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"Safe space party chat" is one of the most obnoxious things I've read, lmao. No disrespect, but holy fuckballs. What a disconnected statement. Same for the earlier selfish comment that went under the radar. I don't get where this idea comes from, that because someone doesn't view the game as some on the line scenario and thus doesn't gamechat callout means they're either or. I just want to know the connection. I just view the H2A playlist as my only means of playing H2A, I don't care about my rank after having seen it in action. Losing four games, and not deranking, only to win one and rank up. Twice. Once to 14, and once to 15. It's not like the fundamental reason to play ranked matters in this game currently until they fix that. So even if the idea held water that I'm somehow totes against my team and a selfish bastard for not calling out, it wouldn't matter when the ranks to this game are broken. Meaning the current argument holds no water. It holds no water in Guardians, where you have no party restrictions, either, nullifying a rank's intended meaning.

So, barring the fact rank means literally nothing when it doesn't work right in either game, how does not calling out make you selfish? I'm only curious because @My Namez BEAST and I can carry games without properly calling out at all. Because we're just good in the irrelevant rank bracket were in for H2A. We've won games without talking to anyone or each other in a competitive fashion. Are we selfish bastards in spite of the fact we still outperform people and do well, even if we don't communicate? If so, how so. Because the goal's still achieved. Just know the strats and go. Just curious on the thought process.

We don't need to, and aren't obligated to give our teammates a chance just because an arbitrary number's attached to our name. That number means absolutely nothing. And surprise surprise, the experience I want in social, H2A, isn't properly catered to in social. Just the nature of the Social Slayer beast. Why the hell should I make a sacrifice to what I want to play recreationally just because someone wants to sweat their balls off without actually committing to it and getting a squad, lol. Why is it "go play Social", over "why don't I get a squad who can fucking talk". It's my choice to not want to talk, as much as it is your choice to enter the game as a solo warrior knowing the online playground is generally filled with parties. And you can do something about the latter given you're in a place with recruitment forums, and the like. If you value calling out so hard, why not make the effort to actually get a squad going BEFORE you matchmake? Because much like making a dumb comment online that people hang over one's head, you have to confirm your choice to matchmake. Meaning that you understand as a solo person, the risks involved. I don't get why that's other people's and a good function's fault, when you make the conscious choice to jump into it, and can make the other choice to not do so and avoid every single problem you have, and probably pubstomp, because, by default you're at a major advantage with a full group.

1. I'm not talking about implementing this into MCC. I get it in MCC and H5. Game chat is shit and the ranking system is a joke. So we can scratch the whole first paragraph. If you're curious about why I called the party chat a safe space and using it in ranked is selfish...You and Beast made abundantly clear that you use it to avoid other people's trash talk. That is the exact definition of a safe space. Sorry if that bothers you, but it's true. In a good game's ranked playlist, that would be very selfish, because you're automatically excluding your teammates without giving them a chance. The proper thing to do would be to give them a chance, and mute them if they turn out to be annoying. Again, I'm talking about a hypothetical ranked playlist where everything works as it should. I don't blame you one bit for doing it in H5 or MCC.

2. Your performance is irrelevant to the argument. Please stop clubbing us over the head with the bragging. You want to talk about obnoxious? Jesus...

3. In a hypothetical good ranked game/playlist, I think its reasonable to expect people to enter the playlist prepared to play with their team. If the playlist is structured to party match like it should be, then there should be no expectation to party up beforehand, like you claim. Nevermind the fact that "fuck you, get a team" is a horrible message to convey to the player. We just went through this with H5. I can't believe you would defend that mindset. The onus should be on the player joining the ranked playlist to do their part, not to hold off on playing until they get a full team. That's ridiculous. That's why I think it shouldn't allow party chat in ranked.

I think it's revealing that you feel no sense of obligation to your team when you're searching a ranked playlist, and instead feel entitled to handicap your team's communication from the onset. Maybe that would change in a proper game, but jeez, it doesn't sound like it.

And just to get out in front of it, I do it too. I do it all the time. But I wouldn't be upset at all if the ability to do so was taken away, because I understand and respect the principle behind it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Lmao. You know what's more selfish than not calling out? Not knowing how to play the fucking game. I mean honestly, if we really can sit here and call someone selfish for their preferred way of playing then this isn't far off. Kids that don't understand spawns, meta, callouts, power positions or shit like that, then they're selfish for not learning the stuff beforehand. You shouldn't even play ranked until you reach a certain skill level tbh. I mean ranked is supposed to be this SUPER competitive mode 24/7 that REQUIRES callouts so shit players shouldn't be allowed in at all. I shouldn't have to play with a kid dropping a fat ass neg bomb because he's selfish for being bad and ruining my experience.

See how stupid this is?

What a ridiculous post. You've completely missed the point of a ranked playlist. It's meant to match people of equal skill. Bad players have as much right to be there as good ones, because they want to play other people like them. I do that all the time in Gears, because I'm terrible at that game and I want to play other people like me. But you know what? I plug in my mic and talk to my team, because I'm still trying to do everything in my power to win the game. That should be the expectation going in, regardless of skill level.

• Upvote (+1) 4

It's funny that the guy wanting forced game chat has countless comms bans for yelling at his teammates. And man it's not ONLY about not hearing trash talk. I don't give a flying fuck about kids bitching at me all game because "I'm the reason he going -20". It's just a nice way to not have to go through and mute people EVERY GAME. No, the main reason is so I a talk to who I want PRIVATELY. Wherever we are in the same game or not.

I get it, you guys take ranked WAY too serious an think EVERY game requires CONSTANT communication and 110% effort. But answer this, how much ranked do you guys even play? I know most of you lmao you avoid ranked like the plague and only party pubstomp social. So please don't talk about ranked shit.

Oh and fun fact: I literally live for the anger of Halo kids. Kids bitching at me all game, sending messages all that shit is great. But I don't give enough of a fuck to listen to it when I want to talk to certain people.

• Downvote (-1) 6

I'm not gonna sit here and type out an entire essay like some of you guys, but I will say that you need to stay out of ranked matchmaking as a solo player if you have no intention of talking to the other people on your team.

• Upvote (+1) 8

It's funny that the guy wanting forced game chat has countless comms bans for yelling at his teammates. And man it's not ONLY about not hearing trash talk. I don't give a flying fuck about kids bitching at me all game because "I'm the reason he going -20". It's just a nice way to not have to go through and mute people EVERY GAME. No, the main reason is so I a talk to who I want PRIVATELY. Wherever we are in the same game or not.

I get it, you guys take ranked WAY too serious an think EVERY game requires CONSTANT communication and 110% effort. But answer this, how much ranked do you guys even play? I know most of you lmao you avoid ranked like the plague and only party pubstomp social. So please don't talk about ranked shit.

Oh and fun fact: I literally live for the anger of Halo kids. Kids bitching at me all game, sending messages all that shit is great. But I don't give enough of a fuck to listen to it when I want to talk to certain people.

How did I know you would attack me personally? What a shock.

My comm bans are for sending mean text messages. I've had 3 in 14 years, and haven't had one in about a year and a half. Cool try at acting like you know me though.

I want ranked to be a playlist where you come prepared to try your best. God forbid. My frequency of wanting to play that way is irrelevant to this argument. Again, another needless personal jab that says a lot more about your character than mine. Just argue the point, dude. I go out of my way to not get ugly with you. It'd be nice if you made the same effort.

• Upvote (+1) 3

What happened in the last decade or so where people are against using their mic?

I'm genuinely curious because I do this to, but back when I first got Xbox Live I was using that thing to talk to EVERYONE.

1. I'm not talking about implementing this into MCC. I get it in MCC and H5. Game chat is shit and the ranking system is a joke. So we can scratch the whole first paragraph. If you're curious about why I called the party chat a safe space and using it in ranked is selfish...You and Beast made abundantly clear that you use it to avoid other people's trash talk. That is the exact definition of a safe space. Sorry if that bothers you, but it's true. In a good game's ranked playlist, that would be very selfish, because you're automatically excluding your teammates without giving them a chance. The proper thing to do would be to give them a chance, and mute them if they turn out to be annoying. Again, I'm talking about a hypothetical ranked playlist where everything works as it should. I don't blame you one bit for doing it in H5 or MCC.

2. Your performance is irrelevant to the argument. Please stop clubbing us over the head with the bragging. You want to talk about obnoxious? Jesus...

3. In a hypothetical good ranked game/playlist, I think its reasonable to expect people to enter the playlist prepared to play with their team. If the playlist is structured to party match like it should be, then there should be no expectation to party up beforehand, like you claim. Nevermind the fact that "fuck you, get a team" is a horrible message to convey to the player. We just went through this with H5. I can't believe you would defend that mindset. The onus should be on the player joining the ranked playlist to do their part, not to hold off on playing until they get a full team. That's ridiculous. That's why I think it shouldn't allow party chat in ranked.

I think it's revealing that you feel no sense of obligation to your team when you're searching a ranked playlist, and instead feel entitled to handicap your team's communication from the onset. Maybe that would change in a proper game, but jeez, it doesn't sound like it.

And just to get out in front of it, I do it too. I do it all the time. But I wouldn't be upset at all if the ability to do so was taken away, because I understand and respect the principle behind it.

1.) Nah, still disagree. Still petty to dub people selfish for playing the game how you don't want them to because you put a weird weighting on how much it means to you. And nah, we never said we use party chat just to avoid trash talk. As Beast said, I live to make people angry. It's hilarious to. I get so much trashtalk in my messages, it's just gold. And listening to two asshats blubber on about how I was losing them the game was just amazing. I didn't care about it. Like, you're talking to the person who engaged in a four day argument with some randie who's pissed I bagged him hardcore when I lost the game. And also to the other person who spent 45 minutes shittalking with some random FFA H5 kid who thought he was top shit, only to be skewered in an actual game. We just stay in party chat because, surprise, it's private. We can just talk if we want to. About anything, without random people engaging with, or hearing us. Maybe occasionally call out, if need be. You don't seem to get it's an issue of privacy, lol. Not an issue of fear of trash talk when we both live to anger random salt mine kids.

2.) If you'd read my shit, you'd know I'm not just trying to brag and show off and that it is relevant to the point I bring up. I give less of a literal fuck about how people think of me here, let alone pertaining to skill. The last thing I want is ego-stroking, when I find it dumb when it's done just to do that. My entire point there laid in how my good skill in Halo can entirely override communication, and that I thus find the dubbing of selfish to be stupid if I can still win, hence the question I laid in the post which was seemingly ignored. Removing all the context behind my point saying I'm good is flimsy and disingenuous. As I've implored multiple times, please read my shit. I'm not just trying to fill space by writing paragraphs. 

3.) I never once said they need to hold off until they get a team, either. My point was never that. Only to tailor their expectations in a playlist specifically designed to be Sweatopolis if they're solo queuing. ADDITIONALLY, again, to reiterate, read what I say: when I say get a team, I'm not saying that in general to everybody. I'm talking about the warriors who deem in game communication to be so bloody important. If it IS, don't rely on random people to get it, when you KNOW the current gaming landscape is tailored towards party chat. 

4.) I don't really get this idea of obligation to the team. Unless I'm being paid for playing, who the hell actually cares enough for that. I sure don't. Win, lose, it's still just a game. I'll never play for any stakes, even if I had the skill to, so, lel. Obligation basically goes out the window. I just wanna shoot shit regardless of people being there or not.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wh I'll just go to party chat. Or play ranked cuz you won't be there LOL

We haven't played together for a long time, because we don't like each other. I find your personality insufferable, as I'm sure you do mine. You can stop pretending you know me well now, because we haven't played together regularly in well over a year. 

I'm adding you to my ignore list, with Arg. I don't know why I waited so long. You used to make good posts, but you seem more interested in childish trolling now. You're not worth reading anymore.

• Upvote (+1) 4

We haven't played together for a long time, because we don't like each other. I find your personality insufferable, as I'm sure you do mine. You can stop pretending you know me well now, because we haven't played together regularly in well over a year.

I'm adding you to my ignore list, with Arg. I don't know why I waited so long. You used to make good posts, but you seem more interested in childish trolling now. You're not worth reading anymore.

Yo this dude knows my personality!1!1!!1!1!1!1!1! When did this happen I've never really spoken about anything to you. Just carried you in btb while you screamed at me fr not using vehicles. Guess it's hard to like someone when you're constantly losingggggggggggggggg

Muting is a safe space lmao crazy how this all comes around. Hope to see ya in a ranked games someday homie it'll be a fun time ❤️ Don't forget to bring your mic!

• Downvote (-1) 9

snip

I needed to go to bed 30 minutes ago, so I'll reply tomorrow if you respond.

I am reading your posts. I'm replying with the way I'm interpreting them. Sometimes we don't come across the way we intend.

I've already seen this work in H2 and early H3 before party chat. I know what I'm missing. You've never known XBL prior to party chat. It was fucking awesome. In very specific playlists, offering very specific experiences and expectations, we could manufacture that again. CoD has already shown that it can work and work well. You might even find that you like it. That's all I really want to say on the matter. I think we've both made our positions clear by now.

I mean you're the one who brought personality into the whole discussion "My namez beast" lmao.

Yea I guess calling people selfish and shit really isn't personally attacking someone LOL

Yea I guess calling people selfish and shit really isn't personally attacking someone LOL

I mean, context dude.

"If you don't use your available mic in a ranked competitive game, you're selfish" is different from looking up petty reputation history and directly attacking year old character traits.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I mean, context dude.

"If you don't use your available mic in a ranked competitive game, you're selfish" is different from looking up petty reputation history and directly attacking year old character traits.

I didn't loom up anything I literally played with the dude on multiple occasions. I just found it funny that the guy that I have seen firsthand yell at kids in game chat, thinks we should all be subject to that experience. And wanting something else makes YOU selfish. Because you don't want to play the game the ONE AND ONLY way you think people should HAVE to play.

Ok.