CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Decided to hop on and try out the BTB playlist. First game I got was assault on bloodline in H2A. Only options for spawn weapon were AR, PR, or magnum. Why on earth would they think it’s a good idea to spawn you with those weapons on a wide open map where 99% engagements happen at a distance where those weapons are absolutely useless?!? I seriously just don’t get what 343 is thinking.

You know what the sad thing is most of could solve most of the gametype issues in less then 10 minutes.

Like all we need to do is go through the objective game modes for each game switch from 5s to 10s respawn time, check that it’s BR/AR starts, make sure the default slayer modes are BR/AR and for H1/H2 set grenade count to 2.

It’s so fucking simple to fix most of the issues but 343 can’t seem to fix simple shit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well it doesn't help when the games chat system is garbage, forcing people into parties to begin with.

Xbox Live Parties have absolutely destroyed Xbox game communities. Where there was once trash talking opponents in a post-game lobby is now just silence. You can't talk to your team mates in match making since most players you run into are in parties and the rest don't have mics connected, because why would you bother connecting your mic to talk to 1/10 people.

The party system needs to go, but of course, it won't because it's here now and people will bitch about having to interact with other human beings IN AN ONLINE MULTIPLAYER GAME.

Lol, fucking hell to the straightass no. I played MW2 with a friends group last night. We all sat in gamechat and got some kid who was 16 running his mouth for 10+ games. It was good for like, 2-3 games then lost its novelty because it's the same tired shit each time, after each win against him. Trashtalk's fun every once in a while, but why the actual fuck would you want to be rid of parties because there's silence in place of trash talk. Silence is great, lmao. The least obnoxious thing. If there's one thing I don't miss from that era of gaming, it's EXACTLY that. The fact people just spout off obnoxious bullshit pre-game. Be it music, random shittalk, the like, because they can.  

If people want to interact, they do it through message or party invite, now, which is fine and accomplishes the same goal without being the worst thing on the planet. You eliminate the garbage middleman because the majority of the gaming community cannot handle this sort of responsibility, lol.

No one would realistically bitch about the fact they have to interact with new people online, it's the fact you're forcing them to when they don't want to. When I get into a party, it's because I don't want to listen to, talk with, or engage with other people, and most other people would probably think likewise. If people want to talk with me, or I them, I message them. Easy solution that nullifies the ass problem without losing Xbox Live's social aspect.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I agree that parties have ruined part of the charm of online matchmaking, but there's really no way of backpedaling on it at this point. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why didnt they actually deploy the west coast server? The games feels way different than insider i feel like im on p2p instead.

I agree that parties have ruined part of the charm of online matchmaking, but there's really no way of backpedaling on it at this point. 

You could force game chat, at least for ranked mode. MW2 did this in almost all the playlists, other CoDs did it specifically for Search and Destroy mode. I thought that was a lot of fun. When a teammate died you wouldn't hear them anymore, which made for really tense moments where they couldn't give you any information and you had to figure out what happened to them.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Lol, fucking hell to the straightass no. I played MW2 with a friends group last night. We all sat in gamechat and got some kid who was 16 running his mouth for 10+ games. It was good for like, 2-3 games then lost its novelty because it's the same tired shit each time, after each win against him. Trashtalk's fun every once in a while, but why the actual fuck would you want to be rid of parties because there's silence in place of trash talk. Silence is great, lmao. The least obnoxious thing. If there's one thing I don't miss from that era of gaming, it's EXACTLY that. The fact people just spout off obnoxious bullshit pre-game. Be it music, random shittalk, the like, because they can.

If people want to interact, they do it through message or party invite, now, which is fine and accomplishes the same goal without being the worst thing on the planet. You eliminate the garbage middleman because the majority of the gaming community cannot handle this sort of responsibility, lol.

No one would realistically bitch about the fact they have to interact with new people online, it's the fact you're forcing them to when they don't want to. When I get into a party, it's because I don't want to listen to, talk with, or engage with other people, and most other people would probably think likewise. If people want to talk with me, or I them, I message them. Easy solution that nullifies the ass problem without losing Xbox Live's social aspect.

Mute Voice Chat: On

Or just mute the individual player that is annoying you.

You act like you’re helpless.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Someone in the playlist just told me they were "top 20 Beach Lan" material. If that's you and you're reading this... you should be ashamed of yourself.

The Action Sack playlist?

You could force game chat, at least for ranked mode. MW2 did this in almost all the playlists, other CoDs did it specifically for Search and Destroy mode. I thought that was a lot of fun. When a teammate died you wouldn't hear them anymore, which made for really tense moments where they couldn't give you any information and you had to figure out what happened to them.

The problem isn't thinking of a practical solution. The problem is that people want and expect to be able to play in private voice parties now. No one playing games today cares about the "thrill of communication". Taking that feature out would be suicide for whatever dev does it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol, fucking hell to the straightass no. I played MW2 with a friends group last night. We all sat in gamechat and got some kid who was 16 running his mouth for 10+ games. It was good for like, 2-3 games then lost its novelty because it's the same tired shit each time, after each win against him.

2 button presses to mute someone.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The problem isn't thinking of a practical solution. The problem is that people want and expect to be able to play in private voice parties now. No one playing games today cares about the "thrill of communication". Taking that feature out would be suicide for whatever dev does it.

I disagree. Media backlash would be huge... At first.

Polygon would accuse developers of literally abusing women by "forcing" them to listen to insults and a bunch of soy boys would complain about human interaction in a multiplayer game.

Then a week later everyone would move onto the next piece of drama while gamers happily play with their awesome community features.

The game would keep people playing with social features instead of trying to hook them with loot crates.

I lost count of the amount of H2 lobbies I'd just join to chat to people. A Tour dear Walsh would run for hours, constantly changing players and there was no need to have to pause constantly to invite new players to the chat party.

The reason so many games die so quickly these days is there's literally no sense of community any more.

Everyone is just playing single player, not caring if they win or lose, as long as they get their xp bonus to unlock some stupid weapon skin.

Then we wonder why games have empty servers after 3 months.

Clearly what game Devs are doing now doesn't work. Then we look at a game like Counter Strike. Jump into a casual server and listen to how crazy and energetic the chat is and then look at SteamCharts and see how popular it is.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I wish there was a way to set your preference for what games you'd like to play, even if it took a little longer to find a match. Dont really see the point of allowing the user to pick and choose which games they have installed when the most popular playlist are probably Social Slayer and BTB.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I disagree. Media backlash would be huge... At first.

Polygon would accuse developers of literally abusing women by "forcing" them to listen to insults and a bunch of soy boys would complain about human interaction in a multiplayer game.

Then a week later everyone would move onto the next piece of drama while gamers happily play with their awesome community features.

The game would keep people playing with social features instead of trying to hook them with loot crates.

I lost count of the amount of H2 lobbies I'd just join to chat to people. A Tour dear Walsh would run for hours, constantly changing players and there was no need to have to pause constantly to invite new players to the chat party.

The reason so many games die so quickly these days is there's literally no sense of community any more.

Everyone is just playing single player, not caring if they win or lose, as long as they get their xp bonus to unlock some stupid weapon skin.

People like you and I relish the experience of what Halo was like back in the H2 days, but it's from a philosophical slant. 

I once sat in a post-game lobby with a friend of mine and listened to a kid ad-lib shit-talk us for literally 45 uninterrupted minutes, and I only left because I was forced to. It's one of the most hilarious and amazing experiences I've ever had playing a video game, and probably the number one incident I regret not having recorded. 

95% of other people in the gaming world don't care about that stuff. They want to zone out and talk with their gaggle of friends and no one else. Don't make the mistake of assuming most people aren't cliquey and clannish and pretty aloof to people they don't know, because they are - and private chat parties are a great way for them to stay that way. 

As far as whether or not it'll  blow over, you're talking about a concerted industry-wide effort. Sony won't even do crossplay. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

As far as whether or not it'll  blow over, you're talking about a concerted industry-wide effort. Sony won't even do crossplay. 

I'd just be happy if Halo had a chat system that worked and no private parties for ranked at the very least. What Madden and Call of Duty want to do I couldn't care less about.

The fact I can queue up for ranked solo and be matched with a party of 3 I can't talk to is ridiculous.

Sure, I think private parties should be nuked, but that's obviously never going to happen - but developers can control what happens in their games.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Here's a sneaky way of doing it. 

Delete opponent footstep sounds entirely, and invent a setting, "hear opponent voice chatter when in close proximity". Leave it up to the player to turn it on or off. 

Word will subtly get around that leaving it on gives you a big advantage. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Well it doesn't help when the games chat system is garbage, forcing people into parties to begin with.

Xbox Live Parties have absolutely destroyed Xbox game communities. Where there was once trash talking opponents in a post-game lobby is now just silence. You can't talk to your team mates in match making since most players you run into are in parties and the rest don't have mics connected, because why would you bother connecting your mic to talk to 1/10 people.

The party system needs to go, but of course, it won't because it's here now and people will bitch about having to interact with other human beings IN AN ONLINE MULTIPLAYER GAME.

for real though. Idk if you do, but when I play pubg(pc) 9 times out of 10 every teammate has a mic(I only play squads). That used to be halo for me h3 & reach, and I know in h2 Everyone had a mic.(or at least 90% of the population did). The party system can’t all be that. It’s the halo community in general. I say that because when I play cod a good chunk of the lobby surprisingly enough had mivvs.

Can anybody find a game in MCC right now? I'm on playlist 6 with like 5 minutes of searching each and no dice.

Here's a sneaky way of doing it. 

Delete opponent footstep sounds entirely, and invent a setting, "hear opponent voice chatter when in close proximity". Leave it up to the player to turn it on or off. 

Word will subtly get around that leaving it on gives you a big advantage. 

When proximity voice was a thing I used to pretend I was on the other team and hilarity would ensue 

• Upvote (+1) 3

When proximity voice was a thing I used to pretend I was on the other team and hilarity would ensue 

And this is why Halo used to be great. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

for real though. Idk if you do, but when I play pubg(pc) 9 times out of 10 every teammate has a mic(I only play squads). That used to be halo for me h3 & reach, and I know in h2 Everyone had a mic.(or at least 90% of the population did). The party system can’t all be that. It’s the halo community in general. I say that because when I play cod a good chunk of the lobby surprisingly enough had mivvs.

Like I said, the garbage chat system that has no pre-game lobbies and stuff is a massive issue too.

It forces players into private parties which in turn means less players bother plugging in a mic unless they're invited to a party which results in a downward spiral and eventually 90% of players just don't bother plugging a mic in.

If the game makes chatting to team mates easy then entering a private chat is just an unnecessary step players won't bother with.

To add onto this, the games themselves are becoming more and more individually focused instead of team focused. When players don't care about winning and they just care about unlocking new guns and shit then they're less likely to care about their team mates.

Halo 2 didn't reward you with 5000 REQ points at the end of a match even if you lost - it rewarded you with a better rank if you won or a lower rank if you lost. This incentivised players to actually communicate with their teams.

Now in Halo 5 you only lose a rank if you're in a ranked playlist which many players don't bother with and even if you lose a rank, who cares; you've unlocked some shiny new armour and a stupid weapon skin, so you still gained something in the end.

There's a whole bunch of issues that have led to stale boring online communities.

• Participation trophies for all players
  • Progression systems that reward selfish play (For example, use X weapon to get Y kills, despite the fact that X weapon sucks and will negatively impact your teams performance)
  • Broken chat system (No pre-lobby chat, etc)
  • Private Parties

To address the issue you've really got to fix all the above.

Heavily incentivise players to play as a team. I'm not talking about a measly freakin' 20% win bonus you currently get, I'm talking about a 200% win bonus.

Any progression system that rewards selfish plays needs to be out right fucked off.

Chat system needs to be consistent and actually work

Private parties need to be discouraged where possible ESPECIALLY in any ranked team modes.

Once you reach a critical mass where everyone is plugging in mics it will become the new standard, just like it was in H2.

I mean, before XBL mics online were rare and even most PC players didn't have one. The Halo community clearly has nothing against communication, the game has just slowly degraded over time to the point where players don't use them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Mute Voice Chat: On

Or just mute the individual player that is annoying you.

You act like you’re helpless.

I didn't once act like I was being attacked, was offended, or anything, but okay. My entire point just hinged on how ditching parties for trash talk is stupid when trash talk loses its luster after a few games, and is just dumb and obnoxious. Not to mention how parties aren't an issue when the means of communication just shifts, the main point of what I was responding to being the claim that parties ruined the social aspect of the service. You missed my point. Gravely.

2 button presses to mute someone.

You also missed my point, which is hilariously surprising. Double whoosh. Do some rereading. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You also missed my point, which is hilariously surprising. Double whoosh. Do some rereading. 

I didn't miss your point at all.

You claim that game chat has always been obnoxious.

I think you're over exaggerating.

The community is no where near as good as it once was. This is an UNDISPUTABLE FACT. The fact that I can't even talk to team mates in ranked matches today is directly opposite to the experience in match making more than a decade ago. Playing ranked without a mic in H2 was pretty much unheard of.

I stand by my claim that opt out is FAR BETTER than opt in, and if trash talk is annoying you then you can learn how to mute people which takes 0.000002 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Take away party chat and people will just use discord lmao. If I want to talk to my friends I don't want other people listening in or being forced to listen in. Privacy is a great thing. Game chat is ass. Acting like it's not some child verbally abusing his team all game 90% of the time is just a straight joke.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I didn't miss your point at all.

You claim that game chat has always been obnoxious.

I think you're over exaggerating.

The community is no where near as good as it once was. This is an UNDISPUTABLE FACT. The fact that I can't even talk to team mates in ranked matches today is directly opposite to the experience in match making more than a decade ago. Playing ranked without a mic in H2 was pretty much unheard of.

I stand by my claim that opt out is FAR BETTER than opt in, and if trash talk is annoying you then you can learn how to mute people which takes 0.000002 seconds.

You're still missing my point by how you push the last point. Especially with my prior response. You're emphasizing how much I'm annoyed at trash talk, when it's not the crux of my argument, and hasn't been, if you'd read past the first paragraph onto the next two.

My claim isn't that gamechat has always been obnoxious (Given I don't want it gone) and that I'm annoyed by it, and thus it should be gone, my claim is that trying to force people into gamechat, and hypothetically forcibly abolishing party chat is a stupid response to the claim that party chat somehow ruined the social aspect of things. And that on top of that, I personally don't miss gamechat since it's riddled with these types. Always has been. But that's anecdotal, and mostly me rambling off about an annoying community. When people can still message and talk to each other in other ways, there's no way in hell party chat ruined anything, because vocal communication isn't the only means of communication. 

And my main giant gripe with your entire tangent also hinged on your last statement.

This. As I said in my other response, I find it hilariously shallow that your idea of why people wouldn't agree with this is because people don't want to interact with others (Like it's somehow a bad thing), and not only that, but it wouldn't fix shit, and would only be less user friendly. Removing the party system removes friend's abilities to just be with each other, which is just as valid an experience as you wanting to talk with randies online, if not more so because of an established connection that people wanna keep going vs. a potential friendship.

And not only that, but this antagonism of the party system somehow ruining community's abilities to be social goes out the window when you can still communicate with random people by message and the like. Voice messages, at that. So you can still communicate with whoever the hell you want, how you want, no matter what. Losing one avenue of that doesn't exactly just cut it all out, whereas removing the one avenue people have for private chats is an unarguably larger loss. 

Like, you're entirely right. I don't want to fucking interact with somebody else barring my friends online. And I'm not in a spot where I want to, or need to make friends when I have great people with me. And I'm not in the spot where I want to just randomly shoot the shit with someone with menial conversation. And you know what won't make me do that? Trying to force me to do it by removing my ability to talk with just my friends. It'll make me move to Discord quick as shit, which is slightly less convenient, depending on the setup, but it will not make me talk with random people I already didn't want to talk to in the first place. There's a reason I never played S&D without a full party of my friends. 

Removing party chat does nothing but actually inconvenience people who want to just relax and game with their friends in peace and privacy, and currently, randies have every means at their disposal to talk with other people or even start a party up if they want. So they're not getting shafted.

• Upvote (+1) 3