CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I don't think any game in MCC currently requires an extra leg to stand on in the form of a progression system to be fun in some way, at least half of the collection never had one in the way we know them. I just think we've reached a point where we've played the games to death and are trying to find ways to prolong it, even if they're arbitrary, and add nothing to a game. Which I think just says more for the community's timescale alongside what the games are. Halo 1's nearly 20 and it's been 11 years since the first "real" progression system entered Halo. We've had a lot of time to play these games. We're playing them well past their expiration date and trying to keep them alive. Aaaaand I think we've reached the threshold of them not being fun on their own merits in an effort to keep the dream aliveeeeee. Or, another idea is that these games were before the time of vapid, meaningless progression systems and people, having been swamped in an industry with them, now crave them. And while I'm not exactly one to be like "Why not just stop playing and recognize the game seemingly isn't fun enough on its own like we all remembertm", I'm one to go "why add this when it'll do effectively nothing of actual use to improving the game". Not to chastize people for liking X thing, but it really is meaningless. And doesn't help the actual issue you're facing.

Alternatively, and in a less bleak fashion, we could go back to an actual good challenge system of unlocks and the like, over meaningless progression systems. Because good challenge systems like Halo 3/4's offer tangible in game effects while requiring some semblance of skill. Reach's was stupid and vapid, and Halo 5's was too, with Halo 4 being saved by a majority of commendation and achievement based unlocks. You get stuff to work for of arguable value with some thought put into it and bam, actually provide replayability and incentive to come back with something that has a reason to mean something, over something that just exists for the soulless purpose of making players shamble back like zombies. 

Just a spitball, lel.

I think for SOME people it may be played out because they are constantly bombarded by new games and new esports and fads. But for a lot of us, especially CE and 2 fans, we tried each newer game for a bit and then just got sick of how bastardized it was from the original formula which was already nearly perfect. And when something is that perfect it doesn't get old. My interest in CE has never been higher for example. I'm extremely engaged in the community. CE's meta is still slowly evolving as well especially with new features that keep improving the game in NHE such as no-spread which people have to keep adjusting to. And I have yet to find another FPS in the same vein as perfectly balanced and skillful since then. Closest examples of another game (non-FPS) for me is SSB Melee and Rocket League which I feel will be another game that never gets old thanks to its skill curve being nearly limitless and it being so intuitive to understand.

Like shit, we'd never say soccer, hockey, chess, etc are "getting old" and we need to stop keeping the dream alive. They are classic games that are still evolving. I for one constantly advocate to keep games alive a lot longer than the gaming community/companies want to. It sucks that we just keep throwing games away and the people who became skilled at them have to constantly keep learning new games. Its like Michael Jordan trying to learn baseball... he's not horrible but he's not gonna be the same GOAT that is so fun to watch play basketball. We need athletes to have incentive to keep improving and not worry about a game being dropped. Hopefully with the new trend of F2P games that have cosmetic microtransactions and are constantly iterated upon, we are at this point

• Upvote (+1) 6

Postums has his head shoved pretty far up his own ass...

It started off so well. He proposed an awesome playlist lineup, promised no more cross game playlists and no more AR and SMG starts. Then he backtracked on all of those statements and called people sweaty for suggesting objectively better settings. What a character arc lmao. He's no Frankie, but man I'm getting tired of being lied to.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I honestly can't tell the difference in the shot reg since the update. If anything at times its worse.

I'm getting people telling me its perfect and when I saw some people's clips it looks like lan.

I honestly can't tell the difference in the shot reg since the update. If anything at times its worse.

I'm getting people telling me its perfect and when I saw some people's clips it looks like lan.

According to most people if you have one good game = MCC is fixed/perfect/literally LAN

One laggy game =MCC is worse/broken/worst game ever

• Upvote (+1) 6

Why are we considered sweaty fog simply wanting not to be weak as shit on spawn? Remember snowbound AR starts, they get the beam rifle it’s like instant death all the time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Isn't some stuff being rolled out today? Is it just playlist updates and fixes?

H2A hit detection is ON POINT. But no Middy, wtf? How do you make a Halo 2 Anniversary title without including the best map of the series.

H2A hit detection is ON POINT. But no Middy, wtf? How do you make a Halo 2 Anniversary title without including the best map of the series.

Probably since at the time of development (2014), they thought their map TRUTH would be good enough, as in, they didn't want to "remake" a map twice like that, lol. At least, that's what I remember being the reason.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Any word on when the playlists drop? I’m dying to know about this H1 4v4 list.

HCE Arena(amongst other playlists) is out, if you don't have it restart MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My local Microsoft store just announced a Halo 3 2v2 event on October 7th, first place is a year of game pass. They try to link to smash.gg like it's an official announcement but it redirects me to the homepage.

An official announcement may be coming. Check your store's meetup group if they have it, that's where mine was posted.

Otherwise the shortened link offered was https://aka.ms/halomccseries

• Upvote (+1) 1

H3 FFA is out and of course there has to be garbage ass AR starts how hard is it to make objective gametypes BR/AR starts.

H1/H2 BTB are still 1 grenade off spawn instead of two and H2A 1 flag CTF is not BR starts either I swear these people never update there damn playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 9

HCE Arena(amongst other playlists) is out, if you don't have it restart MCC.

If anyone can post some details about the game types that are in this playlist, I’m very curious. Include details like score to win, respawn times, weapon layouts, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If anyone can post some details about the game types that are in this playlist, I’m very curious. Include details like score to win, respawn times, weapon layouts, etc.

Only gotten to play Chill Out Slayer so far, but Slayer is 50 kills, 3 sec respawn, no changed weapon layouts.

Gametypes: Slayer, ball, KotH, & Flag

Maps:

Damnation

Rat Race

Battle Creek

Prisoner

Hang 'Em High

Chill Out

Derelict

Wizard

Longest

E: it's an unranked playlist so expect it to be casual oriented I guess?

E: Flag is up to 3, same weapon layouts as usual on Battle Creek, 9 or 10 sec respawn.

• Upvote (+1) 1

20$ says they just restored the previous CE 4v4 playlist that they removed for no good reason two years ago.

20$ says they just restored the previous CE 4v4 playlist that they removed for no good reason two years ago.

I’d bet $500 that’s what they did.

Enjoy your 4 minute games, everyone. I tried.

Why are decent gametypes and settings such a conundrum for Halo developers? Especially for older games where the accepted settings are clearly established. 

Why are decent gametypes and settings such a conundrum for Halo developers? Especially for older games where the accepted settings are clearly established. 

I'd hate to label it as incompetence, but it just seems like a failed mission at this point. They're sticking to their guns about appealing to "everyone" when (no one) is really playing these games. It's such a strange problem. 

guys, people who really really like H1 and consider it the most competitive halo (everyone at least should), what do you dislike about it?

I hate that the game is old enough to legally drive and that the same 4-5 solo players I run into in the playlist don't know random spawns or basic map movement.

/playlistsalt

• Upvote (+1) 1

guys, people who really really like H1 and consider it the most competitive halo (everyone at least should), what do you dislike about it?

I like CE a lot but I really don't care for how strong the grenades are.

i dont like jump delay, 180 glitch, infinite ammo glitch, crouch locking, or how throwing a grenade while crouching changes ur hurtbox to a standing spartan.

I also dont like random starting spawns on derelict.

I also dont like spawn sounds, weapon switch sounds, or footstep sounds. I dont like spread on the pistol, sniper unscoped, or the PR

• Upvote (+1) 4

I’d bet $500 that’s what they did.

Enjoy your 4 minute games, everyone. I tried.

I hate to say it cause these are probably good people in general, but they are just doing a completely shit job. Complete incompetence. It's YEARS after release and it's still basically impossible to play BG CTF in a playlist. That's a layup for a social playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 2