CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Anyone else seen plasma nades not stick in CE?

https://streamable.com/h4d19

Can't be arsed to go back and search.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because the hit detection is so wonky after this patch, that it affects everything -- plasma nades, rockets, etc etc. I've gotten WAY more push rockets this update. Push rockets being where they "push" the player while inflicting some damage but should have killed them on impact. It really makes Prisoner and Damnation more frustrating to play. 

Really hoping this H1-centric patch fixes some of the shooting. Games are either a) no one can shoot reliably, which is "fair" or b) half the players can shoot and the other half cannot, so it turns into a 343-sanctioned ass blasting if you're playing competent players. So far it's a total coin-flip in what sort of registration you're going to get when you jump into the CE playlist*.

*This has been my experience.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone want to play H3 Team Arena sometime? I was a 50 in H3 with 1k exp in TS if you care about that stuff, lol. Overall just need some people to play with!

GT: LimeSda

Anyone want to play H3 Team Arena sometime? I was a 50 in H3 with 1k exp in TS if you care about that stuff, lol. Overall just need some people to play with!

GT: LimeSda

sure invite gonagon

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that because the hit detection is so wonky after this patch, that it affects everything -- plasma nades, rockets, etc etc. I've gotten WAY more push rockets this update. Push rockets being where they "push" the player while inflicting some damage but should have killed them on impact. It really makes Prisoner and Damnation more frustrating to play. 

Really hoping this H1-centric patch fixes some of the shooting. Games are either a) no one can shoot reliably, which is "fair" or b) half the players can shoot and the other half cannot, so it turns into a 343-sanctioned ass blasting if you're playing competent players. So far it's a total coin-flip in what sort of registration you're going to get when you jump into the CE playlist*.

*This has been my experience.

CE has felt really janky overall, and I think out of ~10 games, I haven't had a single one finish normally, with 2v2 or 4v4 playing until the end.  Someone usually quits, or goes AFK, and at the early ranks for the dubs playlist the skill gap as everything evens out is atrocious, but that can't really be avoided.

I seriously can't be the only one getting the "Your connection to the game session was interrupted." message that happens during the map load screen. I'm about to punch a hole in my Xbox. It literally just happened 4 times in a row. It's to the point where it's happening more often than not now. Unbelievable annoying.

Havent been disconnected out of a game yet

Havent been disconnected out of a game yet

It's before the game starts though. During the loading screen. It has to be a 1X issue. That's the only thing I can think of.

It's before the game starts though. During the loading screen. It has to be a 1X issue. That's the only thing I can think of.

I was including disconnects before the game also, and maybe because I just got a plain jane XB1.

Late on the improvement discussion.. but that definitely is something that interests me in general so it will get very off topic.

I did like the exp system in Halo 3. I didn't care really to grind and get it up super high but I did want to have a pretty good ratio of win exp compared to total games played. I think in general it motivated a lot of people not to lose or more specifically, stat whore. I think a rank and experience system like Halo 3s would be great, although I have grown on the tiered system that seems to be the trend now. (Rocket Leauge, Overwatch, Halo 5 etc)

Time to rant.

However, the topic as a whole has always intrigued me. I understand that from a competitive standpoint I take games very seriously but then from an analytical standpoint I go way over the top. I loved watching game films with my team from all perspectives etc. I think it comes from all my years involved in sports.

Basically, I can understand that my approach towards these games are over the top and uncommon. On the other hand, I have some friends that are complete casuals. After work, all they want to do is hop on Rocket League casuals or Battlefield 1 and just have plain old FUN. That is also something I can understand pretty easily.

What I don't understand are the people who grind for a number as if it reflected some sort of improvement. I think rank in general blinds people towards actually getting better on a fundamental level. To clarify, there are people who feel that top ranks in Overwatch are the best players in the game despite them not being on an actual team and in tournaments. Those players have higher rank but aren't actually better than numerous people of lower rank. I thought this was something most people could see but I've noticed more and more of the opposite. I play overwatch with some IRL friends and the last couple months I stopped playing because I found it frustrating. I would play on smurfs since they were lower (2600-3000) but then they started getting higher and higher rank wise but were not improving at a fundamental level. To make a long story short I eventually got them up to around 3500 and realized that the higher we go, the more frustrated I become. Bad habits can scrape by at low levels but those mistakes get punished by good players. They absolutely refuse to review their games, or even think about ways they can improve. They do however put like 6 hours a day into playing overwatch comp, and finished at a 3500 and a 3700.

They are the in-between players that I can not understand or relate to. How can you put so much time into a game for the sake of competition yet have no desire to improve? I think in their case, they are absolutely convinced that the number next to their name indicates some sort of clear baseline skill. Do these imaginary numbers actually offer some sort of reassurance for a player's overall skill? Halo is not class based so maybe it can be considered a better indicator of an overall base skill but I don't know. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't really get the former question. Because my only real tangible "goal" is a win, which is my motivation to improve. Things that motivate me are shit games where I can get better and have to figure out how, especially after a debilitating loss. Of course, this is more so stunted with H5's lack of party restrictions, and H2A being a game I need to have a party to have any sort of comp thing going, so, I float around for now, lel. If I win or lose, I don't give a shit, just need to perform well and not succumb to "it's social, so let's let my skills slide down the tube".

That answered my question. Just winning matches of Halo 5 isn't enough of a motivator for me to improve any further in Halo 5, I was curious if it was enough for you or if you have something else you're working towards. Your answer summed it up well enough. Thanks.

Just so you know you're not alone, I get that same disconnect frequently. The map loads up about 1/4 of the way then sends me back to the main menu. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

That answered my question. Just winning matches of Halo 5 isn't enough of a motivator for me to improve any further in Halo 5, I was curious if it was enough for you or if you have something else you're working towards. Your answer summed it up well enough. Thanks.

Well, yeah, in Halo 5 it means fuck all. When I referred to wins, I more so refer to performance. @My Namez BEAST and I took a straight dive in our W/L ratio (We're averaging 30%), but as a duo queue squad, we've just been trying to play and keep our performance up over winning outright.

Well, yeah, in Halo 5 it means fuck all. When I referred to wins, I more so refer to performance. @My Namez BEAST and I took a straight dive in our W/L ratio (We're averaging 30%), but as a duo queue squad, we've just been trying to play and keep our performance up over winning outright.

Duuuuude our W/L is no joke lmao. But yea its honestly about just straight up getting better at a game. Thats why I play at least. Get my shot as good as it can be, my movement all that shit. Winning and losing doesnt really matter

Duuuuude our W/L is no joke lmao. But yea its honestly about just straight up getting better at a game. Thats why I play at least. Get my shot as good as it can be, my movement all that shit. Winning and losing doesnt really matter

Our W/L and its journey from 50% or so, to 30% may as well be its own trilogy of games. What a trainwreck of a game, lmao. We're carving our legacy in being unironically hot shit.

h2a hit detection is broken. Like i played one day with 400 ping and all my shots registered. They were skipping and id shoot them and theyd die. They prob died so far behind walls on theit screen. Like fuck if im so laggy, my shots shouldnt connect! Its practically client side hit reg.

I haven’t really run into any lag like that, but I’m pretty much playing at peak EST

Our W/L and its journey from 50% or so, to 30% may as well be its own trilogy of games. What a trainwreck of a game, lmao. We're carving our legacy in being unironically hot shit.

We thought we were good smh we are actually equal to "masterchief2005"

AR start...lul

I gave up on trying to discuss this when Postums replied to me on twitter and disagreed when I suggested those people who wanted AR starts would benefit from not having BRs on the map.

I have nothing personally against 343 employees, but his point was people had been requesting it on Bnet since back in H3 and that's incredibly disingenuous.

While it's true that people wanted AR starts anyone who was on Bnet back then would also remember the countless threads complaining about the BR. If you can't make the connection that a lot of "casual" BR hate came from it being incredibly overpowered in AR start gametypes then where the fuck did you think it came from?

I've been on both sides of these games. Continually being killed almost right off spawn with no chance at fighting back is incredibly frustrating and over time would make me hate the BR too. You could take infinite AR start games and any semi competent persons first action would be to pickup a BR. I can also guarantee that a majority of AR start games are won by a team with a high total of BR kills.

It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Postums has his head shoved pretty far up his own ass...I remember when there were loads of people complaining about there being too many AR start gametypes in social slayer.

His response was basically nah we know better and calling people who prefer BR starts sweaty like next to nobody prefers having AR starts.

To think this is the guy we have to deal with for playlist settings unreal..like do your fucking job and listen to the community we know what works for Halo better then you do.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1