CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I seriously can't be the only one getting the "Your connection to the game session was interrupted." message that happens during the map load screen. I'm about to punch a hole in my Xbox. It literally just happened 4 times in a row. It's to the point where it's happening more often than not now. Unbelievably annoying.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I played 25 games of H3 Hardcore today, I'd say two thirds of those games were Slayer. Is there no weighting to more evenly distribute the gametypes or did I just happen to get a bunch of Slayers (only got Amplified, Onslaught, Heretic Flag, and Construct KotH once each and played what felt like a LOT of Construct and Narrows Slayer).

Also, over half those games finished with fewer than eight players, changes to discourage quitting cannot come soon enough. I don't think I can solo queue any more like this, too many games that are just lopsided and an unfun use of time.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Even if they just added social progressive ranks and revamped the unlock system I'd be willing to play more on a regular basis.

This so much. I just dont get why 343 is so set on doing things "their way" and refuses to look back at what the series did great. H3 and Reachs progression systems are awesome, H3s more so IMO. Just add playlist XP ranks and the game would be 10 times more addictive.

Side note: You would think the OG gameplay speaks for itself, but honestly I agree with this tweet that it gets tiring to play the same things over and over. A solid progression system could alleviate that. I mean even something as repetitive and boring as Overwatch is addictive because of the progression system and the cosmetic unlocks.

Also its cool they're adding new forge maps, that could spice things up but honestly we'd need more real H2A maps with another HCS season to actually make the game hype again.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I seriously can't be the only one getting the "Your connection to the game session was interrupted." message that happens during the map load screen. I'm about to punch a hole in my Xbox. It literally just happened 4 times in a row. It's to the point where it's happening more often than not now. Unbelievable annoying.

Probably not alone but in a minority, could probably find people on reddit/waypoint who experience it. I've only ever gotten connection messages while in the playlist menu (aka. while not searching) which is... Weird.

So I had ODST, but since the update it says I don't

You may have to update/redownload it from the Xbox game menu thing itself (Manage games), if I'd have to take a stab. Teehee, but what do I know.

You may have to update/redownload it from the Xbox game menu thing itself (Manage games), if I'd have to take a stab. Teehee, but what do I know.

I can install it, but it says I have to pay for it when I try to play 

I thought a H3 or Reach style progression system would be a no brainer for the update, I'm kind of shocked that it's not there. People like to grind for stuff, even arbitrary ranks that have nothing to do with skill. That being said, people won't grind if there's nothing to grind for...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I thought a H3 or Reach style progression system would be a no brainer for the update, I'm kind of shocked that it's not there. People like to grind for stuff, even arbitrary ranks that have nothing to do with skill. That being said, people won't grind if there's nothing to grind for...

How about play the games because they are fun. We're not playing an RPG you don't need an XP bar. If a game needs some meter that fills up to keep you playing, it's a bad game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

How about play the games because they are fun. We're not playing an RPG you don't need an XP bar. If a game needs some meter that fills up to keep you playing, it's a bad game.

Or accept the fact that it's human nature to want to go for a goal. I'm not saying I personally need something to grind for, I'm saying gamers enjoy grinding. There's a reason games like Overwatch, CoD, Fortnite, past Halo titles, Rainbow, and Rocket League track your overall progression. So that even when people lose a game, or multiple games in a row, they still get that feeling of making progress towards something, even if that something is completely arbitrary. With the state Halo and MCC are in, this franchise needs as much player retention as it can get. If adding a really simple EXP based progression system does that, I don't see why it shouldn't be added. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

H2A hit detection has been spot on for me. I couldn’t put the game down this weekend. One bomb/flag, assault, and KOTH were the highlights for me. I can’t believe H5 didn’t launch with this staples.

I never really bothered playing H2A before the patch, but man does it look good. Too many BS lighting effects for an MP game, but besides that it’s a looker. Texture work puts H5 to shame.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I love Halo as much as anyone here, but I can't shake the feeling that games in the social playlist feel like a huge waste of time. My brain needs something to work towards. I can't tell you how valuable Halotracker.com's 1-50 ranks for Reach were to me. I know it's meaningless, but dammit, it's fun.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Progression is just a part of games these days. I like For Honor for its gameplay, but the reason I try to log on every day is to do the daily challenges to earn currency to pimp out my samurai. Tons of people did the same thing for Reach. It is what it is. Too late to add in detailed customization for MCC, but there's zero reason that this shouldn't be present in Infinite.

Or accept the fact that it's human nature to want to go for a goal. I'm not saying I personally need something to grind for, I'm saying gamers enjoy grinding. There's a reason games like Overwatch, CoD, Fortnite, past Halo titles, Rainbow, and Rocket League track your overall progression. So that even when people lose a game, or multiple games in a row, they still get that feeling of making progress towards something, even if that something is completely arbitrary. With the state Halo and MCC are in, this franchise needs as much player retention as it can get. If adding a really simple EXP based progression system does that, I don't see why it shouldn't be added.

Sure does say a lot about the game in general when you need something to work for to have a motivation to play it, over playing it on its own merits, especially when said progression adds nothing to the game itself and sometimes didn't even exist beforehand. I dunno, I'm playing Halo 5 to reach SR-152, and I entirely tune out after 2-3 games of grinding, let alone the 10-20 I may do in a day. And I get why I do. I'm just playing the game to get that final goal, but the game is really shallow to me. Arena isn't fun unless I have a friend, and Firefight's fine on its own for a few games. It's not fun in general, but I have a completionist complex, and have that goal to work for. It comes and goes in terms of intensity, but it'll be there, always. But I would never wish that life on someone else, lmao. I'm not playing for the game and I get it. I play it to kill time and get something meaningless because I've 100%'ed most other Halos. Obligation. 

Then I play MCC, and I either play just for the fact the game's fucking fun on its own, in the case of Halo 4/H2A for me, or for the win in the case of sweaty ranked matches, where I forget about my rank. Weirdly enough, and call me inhuman for it, but it trained me out of this (Generally) dumb prospect of playing for an arbitrary XP counter (Ala CoD), and to either accept or drop the game on its own merits, which I feel is undervalued. Of course, another aspect to this is the fact we've played these games enough to form nostalgic memories, hence why this remaster is appealing. But we're just treading old ground we've walked on for the last near two decades. We're not experiencing anything new past some great graphical boosts, and a new UI set, and seemingly want something new, which, while I can get, I will still argue against due to certain points. Not to the point of "I'd argue against its inclusion should they put time into it", but just the concept in general is iffy and could be replaced with better other ideas.

I find it dumber to have this in the case of people losing multiple games in a row. Like, yeah, you'll get your fucking teeth kicked in sometimes, I don't need a participation award for it to make it feel better. I just take the losses on the nose. To me, when you begin playing for something outside of the main game's gameplay, or need something like that, I think it speaks a lot to how unengaging the game is for any long period of time, which is a big curse to me, and speaks volumes about the game itself. I dunno. I just find it funny. Not to say every single human's the same and we should all work for the same thing, or be motivated by the same thing, or else you're wrong, but to me it feels very very pointless adding in a progression system to seemingly stave off boredom, or to simply have something to work for when we have ranks, and should be doing our best to ensure they're just refined, now, on top of games that are already apparently timeless and super fun. To me, it's personally baffling that the only meaningful accomplishment is what we're not touting or recommending for fixes (Provided we can), and the one meaningless thing is what we're going for instead. The thing that does nothing to bolster gameplay, and what the game IS. 

Related tangent: Yes, it's human nature to work for some goal, but isn't the grind of improving your game a really good enough incentive to play a game you presumably enjoy? Progression has nothing to do with improvement or the like, where the game actually matters, yunno, winning or losing being determined by it. It just feels so off that we need a goal that has absolutely no bearing on the actual game itself to be able to enjoy it. 

In the end, I feel like progression's all short term dopamine rush. Short term, rapid spurts of "ohhhhh, yeaaah" over the long haul of an actual good game and that "OHHHHHH, YEAAAAAH" of actually playing a game that's worth it.

I don't think any game in MCC currently requires an extra leg to stand on in the form of a progression system to be fun in some way, at least half of the collection never had one in the way we know them. I just think we've reached a point where we've played the games to death and are trying to find ways to prolong it, even if they're arbitrary, and add nothing to a game. Which I think just says more for the community's timescale alongside what the games are. Halo 1's nearly 20 and it's been 11 years since the first "real" progression system entered Halo. We've had a lot of time to play these games. We're playing them well past their expiration date and trying to keep them alive. Aaaaand I think we've reached the threshold of them not being fun on their own merits in an effort to keep the dream aliveeeeee. Or, another idea is that these games were before the time of vapid, meaningless progression systems and people, having been swamped in an industry with them, now crave them. And while I'm not exactly one to be like "Why not just stop playing and recognize the game seemingly isn't fun enough on its own like we all remembertm", I'm one to go "why add this when it'll do effectively nothing of actual use to improving the game". Not to chastize people for liking X thing, but it really is meaningless. And doesn't help the actual issue you're facing.

Alternatively, and in a less bleak fashion, we could go back to an actual good challenge system of unlocks and the like, over meaningless progression systems. Because good challenge systems like Halo 3/4's offer tangible in game effects while requiring some semblance of skill. Reach's was stupid and vapid, and Halo 5's was too, with Halo 4 being saved by a majority of commendation and achievement based unlocks. You get stuff to work for of arguable value with some thought put into it and bam, actually provide replayability and incentive to come back with something that has a reason to mean something, over something that just exists for the soulless purpose of making players shamble back like zombies. 

Just a spitball, lel.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Related tangent: Yes, it's human nature to work for some goal, but isn't the grind of improving your game a really good enough incentive to play a game you presumably enjoy? Progression has nothing to do with improvement or the like, where the game actually matters, yunno, winning or losing being determined by it. It just feels so off that we need a goal that has absolutely no bearing on the actual game itself to be able to enjoy it.

-----------------

Which I think just says more for the community's timescale alongside what the games are. Halo 1's nearly 20 and it's been 11 years since the first "real" progression system entered Halo. We've had a lot of time to play these games. We're playing them well past their expiration date and trying to keep them alive.

I'm going to use a lot of personal anecdotes here, but I'm curious what you think regarding getting better being a good enough reason to play. I heard Phurion say something a little while back that resonated with me and my fluctuating desire to get better at Halo. He said something along the lines of "It no longer matters if you're good at Halo." Obviously, being a top Halo 5 player has perks. But bragging rights of being good at Halo doesn't really matter anymore when talking to other video game fans, and I think that hurts the desire to improve. Halo being more popular would definitely help, as well as having strong local scenes. I'm one of the top players in my city, and if I wasn't I would definitely be motivated to become better, which would lead me to play more without the need for an artificial progression system.

Now if you go back to an older Halo, it matters even less. If you become a top Halo 3 player right now, almost nothing changes for you. Other video game nerds won't really care because they're talking about Fortnite ability. There's not many Halo 3 LANs going on, and the few that are probably are not in your general area. If you become really good, you'll probably get invited to more online lobbies, which is still online so I don't know if that's a huge bonus.

For me, Halo 1 is the game I have spent more time recently trying to get better at. I like the game, which is important. I also really want to go to Beach LAN, but don't want to completely embarrass myself which is a motivation to get better; attending is one reward for improving. I met a few people at Halo 5 LANs from the Microsoft store who were interested in LANning H1, so we now have a small H1 LAN community which also helps the drive to get better.

Wanting to improve at a game you enjoy is one thing, but I do feel you need some sort of payoff. I never liked chasing numbers so a progression system doesn't mean much to me personally. But I'm curious if you feel you need to work toward a tangible goal to feel the motivation to improve, and if you feel a tangible goal is important like I do what types of things help motivate you?

----------

Seeing people already bored of some of these Halos is fascinating to me when some of us have been clammoring for this for so long. I wonder if it's really that it's just because the games are old and they have been played to death like you suggested, or if people are bored of classic Halo in general. Like if Halo Infinite is classic, I don't know what it could add on top to really differentiate it from Halo 3 or Halo 2, which people are bored of. Like new maps and weapons are cool, but I doubt that would be enough to hold interest for a long stretch of time.

It'll be really interesting seeing Infinite's reception, classic or not.

Wanting to improve at a game you enjoy is one thing, but I do feel you need some sort of payoff. I never liked chasing numbers so a progression system doesn't mean much to me personally. But I'm curious if you feel you need to work toward a tangible goal to feel the motivation to improve, and if you feel a tangible goal is important like I do what types of things help motivate you?

----------

Seeing people already bored of some of these Halos is fascinating to me when some of us have been clammoring for this for so long. I wonder if it's really that it's just because the games are old and they have been played to death like you suggested, or if people are bored of classic Halo in general. Like if Halo Infinite is classic, I don't know what it could add on top to really differentiate it from Halo 3 or Halo 2, which people are bored of. Like new maps and weapons are cool, but I doubt that would be enough to hold interest for a long stretch of time.

I don't really get the former question. Because my only real tangible "goal" is a win, which is my motivation to improve. Things that motivate me are shit games where I can get better and have to figure out how, especially after a debilitating loss. Of course, this is more so stunted with H5's lack of party restrictions, and H2A being a game I need to have a party to have any sort of comp thing going, so, I float around for now, lel. If I win or lose, I don't give a shit, just need to perform well and not succumb to "it's social, so let's let my skills slide down the tube". 

And yeah, I think it's because both the games are played to death, and people are trying to recreate the, ahem, "glory days" of 2007-2009, and slowly realizing they can't since they're chasing a rose tinted memory from an entirely different time and becoming discouraged. Kinda tragic, but, yunno. Nostalgia's a powerful drug, especially prevalent and weird with the amount of people I see playing the ass game that is Halo 3. Not to shit on people's likes, but phew, the people who play this game like their life depends on it are baffling to me in the day and age where Halo 3's been irrelevant for the better part of a decade.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 3

Hahaa, get scammed. :lxthul:

reminds me of when they were rolling out free codes to people who played the game within the first 2 months. Played the game within the first week, never got a code. Still bitter about that btw.

I’m going to play to improve regardless. I like having something tangible to show for my time and effort. Social games feel like they disappear the second they’re over.

Also, the per-playlist XP from H3 was cool bc it gave you a reason to master every playlist. In H5 for example, the game makes no distinction between any social playlist you play.

Halo 3 had the best progression system. It also required you to win to get playlist xp. It wasn't a handout. Saying to yourself "only 3 more wins until Colonel" is very different than "only 3 more games until Colonel". It gets you playing for twice as many games, and feels better to attain because a win always corresponds with an increase in rank. That rank increase is always climactic, even if you have a dead even 50/50 win percentage.

Systems where xp increases even when you lose feel more ambiguous, needlessly grindy and hollow. And when they use random large numbers, it's hard to tell how far you've come from Y and how far you have to go for X.

• Upvote (+1) 5

H2A hit detection has been spot on for me. I couldn’t put the game down this weekend. One bomb/flag, assault, and KOTH were the highlights for me. I can’t believe H5 didn’t launch with this staples.

I never really bothered playing H2A before the patch, but man does it look good. Too many BS lighting effects for an MP game, but besides that it’s a looker. Texture work puts H5 to shame.

h2a hit detection is broken. Like i played one day with 400 ping and all my shots registered. They were skipping and id shoot them and theyd die. They prob died so far behind walls on theit screen. Like fuck if im so laggy, my shots shouldnt connect! Its practically client side hit reg.