CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Correction... You can queue up for what you want.

Whether or not you actually find a game is another question.

Why does the game need to cater to literally every possible game combination at the expense of faster and more accurate match making just because some players don't like a certain game type?

This game doesn't have the population to support this many playlists. That's a fact. A month from now you'll struggle to find games in most playlists off peak, I guarantee it.

Custom games exist for a reason. You don't see Counter Strike letting players queue up for surf maps.

I'm finding games really fast and I'm happy with the playlists so far tbh.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So we've had sneaking suspicions that H1 MCC wasn't even directly worked on as MANY of the old bugs from years ago have reappeared with nothing in the patch notes. For example, the portals are completely fucked up right now and ports you back and forth way too quickly. Compared to a few days ago, they are completely different. But the portals were never worked on and never talked about in the patch notes. But they do act like they did in a specific build years ago.

Pair this with the fact that Ogre2 had his settings on an account rolled back to years ago when his girlfriend played on it (1 sens, bumper jumper) despite having correct settings before the new patch.

I'm totally aware that older builds can be better to build off of or easier to work with. But very little has changed. Shot registration still sucks and is very inconsistent. This version's shooting is identical to a version from years ago with the exact same bugs reappearing and even settings being rolled back. Hopefully someone can clarify, but it appears all that Halo 1 has received is solely reverting back to a less fucked up but still fucked up build. There's dozens of game breaking issues and not one of them is or has been individually addressed. We're STILL playing an untouched version of MCC.

We have discords, forums, group chats, etc, all giving feedback on how to make Halo 1 more like the original. We've recommended things as simple as removing spawn sounds and as complex as NHE lead and everything in between. Not one single individual thing has been fixed yet. Spawn sounds would be a day 1 huge improvement. I'm not a coder but can't 1 person go into the code and simply remove the sound file related to spawns in less than a day?

Overall do I prefer the NHE experience? Absolutely.

But MCC is supposed to be JUST HOW WE REMEMBER IT. So I'm definitely not behind these NHE ideas.

Spawn sounds are not ideal but that's how the original game is. They shouldn't fuck with this in a remaster that's supposed to mirror og.

For the love of God it definitely shouldn't mirror the shot lead from NHE either. It should feel like host.

What I definitely would like is NHE options for custom games. That I can get behind. But throwing people into H1 matchmaking without sounds and with offhost leading would be so jarring for the thousands of people who only played vanilla Halo, and it just adds the potential for more fuckups in netcode if they're artificially adding network lead.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don’t understand how making BR/AR, BR/SMG, starts the default is such a hard concept like just make the automatic weapon the primary that way they don’t feel forced into using the BR if they don’t want to and if they actually want to try and improve they might switch weapons.

I can guarantee you that’s a far more enjoyable experience then them getting shit on for an entire game because the enemy team took all the BR’s on the map and they’re basically helpless to fight back and get slaughtered for the entire game.

Also apparently there is SMG starts in H2 TA add that to the list of playlist issues that need to be fixed.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The spawns in CE seem worse than any game now. Also I'd really like a 4v4 CE playlist. I played 8 TS games and got it zero times.

Overall do I prefer the NHE experience? Absolutely.

But MCC is supposed to be JUST HOW WE REMEMBER IT. So I'm definitely not behind these NHE ideas.

Spawn sounds are not ideal but that's how the original game is. They shouldn't fuck with this in a remaster that's supposed to mirror og.

For the love of God it definitely shouldn't mirror the shot lead from NHE either. It should feel like host.

What I definitely would like is NHE options for custom games. That I can get behind. But throwing people into H1 matchmaking without sounds and with offhost leading would be so jarring for the thousands of people who only played vanilla Halo, and it just adds the potential for more fuckups in netcode if they're artificially adding network lead.

I just don't agree. Not saying your opinion is wrong, but from my point of view, spawn sounds are the exact opposite of what you said. Halo 1 was played on tube tvs with low quality audio, no headphones, and on split screen. MCC is played on high def monitors with HD sound and high quality headsets. Being able to hear 85% of Damnation spawns and being able to reduce possible spawns to 2 places if you couldn't hear them isn't how anyone remembers Halo 1. Being able to hear every spawn on chillout and instantly prenade every spawn on pris because you can hear the first spawner isn't how anyone remembers it either. I remember Halo 1 as a game that takes extremely high map knowledge and awareness. Not a game where you can instantly ignore 90% of the map because of sounds. MCC at a medium/high level has basically turned into who gets less spawns within hearing distance of the other team. Sounds simply break the maps and the gameplay. Once again, idk what the hell you were playing Halo 1 on, but I don't think you used to be able to eliminate 90% of the map off sound alone. Headphones on XBC dont have a place in this discussion either because that's not vanilla Halo anymore and those aren't casual players.

Why casuals players matter one bit is beyond me. They aren't going to play MCC and notice spawn sounds or not. All the sounds do is completely break the game for actual Halo 1 players. If you are opposed to lead then I can understand that a little as NHE is vastly different than regular Halo. But the bullet magnetism needs to be reduced by a huge amount and the sniper needs some form of lead so its not the easiest sniper in any video game I've ever played. On host shooting and sniping is still way more difficult than what we have now.

I'm still not opposed to making H1 MCC play exactly like the game that 95% of H1 players lan though (NHE). I really don't care about someone hopping on Halo 1 for the first time in 10 years. Competitive players that play the game daily/weekly/monthly is what the game should be designed around. At the end of the day, I will take every opportunity possible while 343 has shown SOME care about fixing MCC to get Halo 1 as close to how its being lanned right now. This is the absolute last chance we have to get a working, viable, and universal way to play Halo 1 online on the xbox. If somethinhg like spawn sounds that completely break the game at a competitive level is how people remember Halo 1 (it isn't), then that sucks for them.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Whoever decided to put Snipers in Team Arena needs to be blacklisted.

Shoutout to Ranked Arena and Hardcore Playlists. We don't need two ranked Halo 2 or Halo 3 playlists. Its just clutter and unnecessary playlists in a already low population game. 

Also big-ups to Halo 3 AR starts in the Casual Team Slayer playlist without any veto. We only have 11 years of gameplay telling us that they are awful and nearly 0 fun. 

Another shout-out goes to a 73GB patch that doesn't include search parameters, despite low-pop regions like Aus/NZ having to fight for them in Halo 5 so they know people want them.

• Upvote (+1) 2

remove pre-game chat

I've been so focused on the gameplay problems I didn't even realize this. Holy CRAP, is that a boneheaded move! Pre-game chat is a central part of the matchmaking experience! >_<

Dream: 343 is running around frantically trying to get things shipshape.

Reality. They've got their feet up and are smoking cigs, savoring a job well done.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Neat.

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I got into Tribes before it was murdered.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo 2 anniversary is unplayable. The bullet magnetism is unbelievably frustrating. I get shot around corners 99% of the time and the connection is near perfect.

Halo 2 anniversary is unplayable. The bullet magnetism is unbelievably frustrating. I get shot around corners 99% of the time and the connection is near perfect.

I think that's a stretch, lol. Bullet magnetism isn't that extreme on the game. It's there, but not to the point of unplayable, given it doesn't surpass Halo 5's, even without AM.

Shoutout to Ranked Arena and Hardcore Playlists. We don't need two ranked Halo 2 or Halo 3 playlists. Its just clutter and unnecessary playlists in a already low population game. 

Agree. It's redundant now, so they should just make it into a social playlist. So you have a good ranked option and a good hardcore one. Instead of just ranked.

There should only be 1 ranked playlist per game

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 1 remains a shell of itself and has real no hope going forward. The game was doomed the second the PC version was used and ported. Hopefully 343 knew the two games (OG and PC) were nothing alike.

The single biggest thing that can be done right now to improve gameplay is remove spawn sounds so you can't hear where people spawn. Although the original OG version is not like this, the competitive NHE version is. In a game where spawns are almost everything, you shouldn't be able to instantly know where people are based off sound. Advantageous spawns on NHE are basically shit spawns on MCC. The fact that something so simple to remove (spawn sounds) that is so detrimental is still in the game shows theres almost zero concern about H1 MCC being true to competitive.

The pistol and sniper has LEAD in the original. A 3 shot pistol that is hitscan is way too strong. I can't figure out the half assed half reticle sometimes there sometimes not lead in this version of H1 MCC. It's still not enough. There is no real skill gap in shooting still. The sniper is ridiculously easy to use and the inconsistent shit tier lead makes unscoping people unreliable. The sniper being readily available in H1 meant it had to atleast be hard to use. You're an idiot if you pass it up in MCC.

Rockets are way to weak. The shotgun sucks. The plasma rifle is useless. Are these not just coded values that can be changed? Can rocket damage not just be increased by 10%? The fact that 3 weapons are still no where near where they are on OG lan shows yet again theres no desire to make H1 MCC true to the original.

I know that postums supposedly said the next patch is a big H1 patch, but no one's holding their breathe. The netcode can be improved all they want but core features like no sounds, projectile weapons, and useful niche weapons are what the game needs.

I know improved shot registration can be exciting but technically all they have to do is inceease hitbox size and magnetism. While more shots will register, can you really say registration is better? All that does is make shooting to easy and takes away skill. I say this because we want improved GAMEPLAY that brings H1 players back, not just bandaid fixes and smoke and mirrors.

Not to mention the botched shaders which are an eyesore compared to OG xbox. 

I am convinced 343 have no clue about the finer gameplay elements of OG halo 1.  Like you said they make or break the game and those clowns think Halo 1 PC is a perfect conversion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's stuff like this that makes me wish I got into Tribes before it was murdered.

I would play the shit out of a new Tribes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not to mention the botched shaders which are an eyesore compared to OG xbox. 

I am convinced 343 have no clue about the finer gameplay elements of OG halo 1.  Like you said they make or break the game and those clowns think Halo 1 PC is a perfect conversion.

You couldn't be more wrong. 343 went as far as to hire a prominent Halo Custom Edition modder to implement the fixes he made for the PC release in MCC. Sure a lot of them don't know the specifics, but they';ve hired on someone who sure as hell does.

I definitely had a bunch of issues with CE throughout my experience with MCC. (didn't play insider) I'm talking all sorts of wild stuff, like completely different maps loading, loading up a custom and getting thrown into a BTB matchmaking game, getting bumped through geometry etc.

The two things that completely killed it for me were the spawn sounds and shooting in general. Other bugs are frustrating but don't affect the game as much. Sure I prefer LAN, NHE and splitscreen but if they fixed the spawn sounds and made shooting closer to OG I would be playing that all the time. I'd even be down to go drive to someones place and 2box on MCC.

Until those things change though I can see myself not playing CE on MCC. Its nice that we have people working on it but I am not sure what their end goal is. The whole Halo PC community worries me in a sense because it seems like it varies in terms of:

1) completely supporting the competitive side and trying to make the game as close to console as possible versus  2) casuals who play blood gulch ctf and really enjoy the game but aren't trying to make it as close to console as possible.

There should only be 1 ranked playlist per game

I've played a bunch of halo 2 hardcore and arena and have found matches nearly instantly in both. I have no problem with there being more than 1 playlist per game.