CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Got my first post game hate message. Halo is back.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So we've had sneaking suspicions that H1 MCC wasn't even directly worked on as MANY of the old bugs from years ago have reappeared with nothing in the patch notes. For example, the portals are completely fucked up right now and ports you back and forth way too quickly. Compared to a few days ago, they are completely different. But the portals were never worked on and never talked about in the patch notes. But they do act like they did in a specific build years ago.

Pair this with the fact that Ogre2 had his settings on an account rolled back to years ago when his girlfriend played on it (1 sens, bumper jumper) despite having correct settings before the new patch.

I'm totally aware that older builds can be better to build off of or easier to work with. But very little has changed. Shot registration still sucks and is very inconsistent. This version's shooting is identical to a version from years ago with the exact same bugs reappearing and even settings being rolled back. Hopefully someone can clarify, but it appears all that Halo 1 has received is solely reverting back to a less fucked up but still fucked up build. There's dozens of game breaking issues and not one of them is or has been individually addressed. We're STILL playing an untouched version of MCC.

We have discords, forums, group chats, etc, all giving feedback on how to make Halo 1 more like the original. We've recommended things as simple as removing spawn sounds and as complex as NHE lead and everything in between. Not one single individual thing has been fixed yet. Spawn sounds would be a day 1 huge improvement. I'm not a coder but can't 1 person go into the code and simply remove the sound file related to spawns in less than a day?

H1 is getting it's big fix next update,per Postums.

Sucks, but at least coming.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So Koth in H3 BTB is still AR starts, same with neutral assault in H3 TA, and social slayer needs AR starts straight up removed really wish postums had an account on here so we could report this shit to him.

Also anyone else notice the wonky aiming shit has spread to other games even had it occur in H2C.

Reading the reactions on here and on Halo Waypoint, it's clear that the update was released "hot" (in an incomplete state), probably to get ahead of the fall game release season (same old story, putting business before quality, just as was done with MCC's launch). The game may be more stable than it was, but it's still nowhere near as stable as ALL previous Halos have been (remember the Halo 5 beta? - you know, the one that came with MCC? - damn, did that run smooth). As always has been the case with MCC, EVERY PART of the game STILL has SOME kind of problem, ranging from glaring bugs to UI clutter.

Microsoft, stop packing it down...SHOVEL the shit already.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So we've had sneaking suspicions that H1 MCC wasn't even directly worked on as MANY of the old bugs from years ago have reappeared with nothing in the patch notes. For example, the portals are completely fucked up right now and ports you back and forth way too quickly. Compared to a few days ago, they are completely different. But the portals were never worked on and never talked about in the patch notes. But they do act like they did in a specific build years ago.

Pair this with the fact that Ogre2 had his settings on an account rolled back to years ago when his girlfriend played on it (1 sens, bumper jumper) despite having correct settings before the new patch.

I'm totally aware that older builds can be better to build off of or easier to work with. But very little has changed. Shot registration still sucks and is very inconsistent. This version's shooting is identical to a version from years ago with the exact same bugs reappearing and even settings being rolled back. Hopefully someone can clarify, but it appears all that Halo 1 has received is solely reverting back to a less fucked up but still fucked up build. There's dozens of game breaking issues and not one of them is or has been individually addressed. We're STILL playing an untouched version of MCC.

We have discords, forums, group chats, etc, all giving feedback on how to make Halo 1 more like the original. We've recommended things as simple as removing spawn sounds and as complex as NHE lead and everything in between. Not one single individual thing has been fixed yet. Spawn sounds would be a day 1 huge improvement. I'm not a coder but can't 1 person go into the code and simply remove the sound file related to spawns in less than a day?

they said they werent touching ce this patch like 90 days ago. And 40 days ago. And 10 days ago. Its bo secret but some people love seeing shit thats not there. I dont think its a previous build, just shit that broke. I dont think the AR ever worked the exact way it does now tho it was similar.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

The 1-50 isn’t a system that works today I’m afraid. There’s a reason division ranking is the ranking in most games. It works greatly in most games(except h5 but that’s partly due to no party matching).

Its not the representation of rank that matters, its the ability to account for top-level talent and getting rid of the grind.  1-50 would work fine as long as there was a 50+ rank that showed your CSR once you got to 50 and as long as there were placement matches to get you in the ballpark of your skill level.  I dont think the newer systems need 10 games to figure out your skill either.  Reduce that to say 6 games and skin the ranks with 1-50 as the representative tiers and you're good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's not Halo unless you're getting berated - especially by teammates.

I remember, back in the "good old days" of the original MCC launch, getting a run of games in H2A - our team we're on a bit of a losing streak and I may have been to blame. I distinctly remember hearing in the game chat once we were lobbied up, "Aaaaah man! Not Bloke again!!!" A part of me died inside. Which is ironic really as after that game I received an XBL message telling me to kill myself.

Good times!  :weback:  :weback:  :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 7

No hate mail, but I did get Reach-era betrayed for rockets once.

And then I got a sick "Hope to play with you again, teehee" message from some kid I dropped a 40 bomb on. An unironic "I wanna play/talk with you for practice". A weird polar opposite for what I expect. And now I have some kid messaging me about Halo tips. Time to train the next generation of PROS.

Played a btb game where the other team had 0 kills up until the last kill. One person broke the 8 man goose. I msged him and called him a legend but he just replied back "what?" Guy doesnt even know what he just did.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Played a btb game where the other team had 0 kills up until the last kill. One person broke the 8 man goose. I msged him and called him a legend but he just replied back "what?" Guy doesnt even know what he just did.

Lol. It seems we got a new set of Halo noobs filing in.

H5's ranking works always fine to me after reset.

Because they don't actually reset the ranks. They just hide them until your placements are done, MMR is still the same.

Its bo secret but some people love seeing shit thats not there. I dont think its a previous build, just shit that broke. I dont think the AR ever worked the exact way it does now tho it was similar.

Right. Settings being rolled back to years ago and identical year old bugs reappearing, but this build isn't an old build.

Right. Settings being rolled back to years ago and identical year old bugs reappearing, but this build isn't an old build.

it might be but honestly it doesn't really matter.  I would bet my bottom dollar that in the process of getting OG MCC to just plain... sorta work sometimes, they threw in a lot of hackey solutions and introduced a ton of technical debt.  Sometimes its easier to go back and "do it right" from an earlier state than it is to work with or undo the hacks.  It seems pretty obvious that their focus was getting lobbies working, getting matchmaking working, making the game more stable in general and improving the hit detection of the most popular halo game.  All of which seem to be accomplished from my experience?  I have my doubts that its 100% dedicated servers though....

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I received one where the young lad told me I was a "fkn noob" who "rushed snipe every fkn chance you got and only got 1 headshot" 

We won the game 50-39 and I was hitting mostly body shots which amounted to 11 assists or so. He was still quite upset.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ahh, see I was under the impression CE was patched. To be fair I didn’t read the patch notes.

That explains a lot. I’ll stay away from it until next update. Shitty of them to put it on the back burner. Halo 3 is the worst of the OG Halos. Fix the good ones first.

• Upvote (+1) 4

So Koth in H3 BTB is still AR starts, same with neutral assault in H3 TA, and social slayer needs AR starts straight up removed really wish postums had an account on here so we could report this shit to him.

Also anyone else notice the wonky aiming shit has spread to other games even had it occur in H2C.

I'm totally fine with AR/SMG starts in the social Slayer playlist. Tons of players do prefer not starting with a BR for whatever fucking reason, and if you're going to appeal to them, then a grab-bag unranked playlist with all of the games is where you appeal to them. Ranked should always be BR starts though.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm totally fine with AR/SMG starts in the social Slayer playlist. Tons of players do prefer not starting with a BR for whatever fucking reason, and if you're going to appeal to them, then a grab-bag unranked playlist with all of the games is where you appeal to them. Ranked should always be BR starts though.

And those players are ones we should not be catering to, lol. Social should be social, not fucking suicide without ranks. It's not fine in social. I go there to relax, not to have no ability to fight my enemies.

• Upvote (+1) 2

And those players are ones we should not be catering to, lol. Social should be social, not fucking suicide without ranks. It's not fine in social. I go there to relax, not to have no ability to fight my enemies.

Why not? Why are your subjective preferences superior to theirs? 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just got an Xbox One! I was mostly a H3 player tbh but I’m down to play any game. Add me boys

GT: LimeSda

Still downloading MCC tho

Why not? Why are your subjective preferences superior to theirs? 

It's not subjective that SMG starts suck compared to any proper competitive weapon set, and let's stop this idea that somehow this is not only subjective, but that every argument somehow rests on equal footing. "I like SMG starts". Good for you, but you're wrong if you're vouching for them over an actual proper weapon start set in any playlist, social or comp. Especially given no maps are designed around SMG starts, but BR/DMR/pistol, etc, and never have been.

My "preference" is superior because it actually allows for a proper experience in gameplay over a subjectively chosen, shit experience. If you want AR/SMG starts, go into customs, but don't actually force me to slog through shit because you actually like shitty spawning weapon starts, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3

It's not subjective that SMG starts suck compared to any proper competitive weapon set, and let's stop this idea that somehow this is not only subjective, but that every argument somehow rests on equal footing. "I like SMG starts". Good for you, but you're wrong if you're vouching for them over an actual proper weapon start set in any playlist, social or comp. Especially given no maps are designed around SMG starts, but BR/DMR/pistol, etc, and never have been.

My "preference" is superior because it actually allows for a proper experience in gameplay over a subjectively chosen, shit experience. If you want AR/SMG starts, go into customs, but don't actually force me to slog through shit because you actually like shitty spawning weapon starts, lol.

What a person finds fun is absolutely subjective and absolutely on equal footing to whatever it is you may find fun. We're not discussing which gametype is more competitively viable, we're discussing preferences.

Please don't try and rewrite history to suggest any of the Halo maps were designed around BR starts. Bungie never, ever wanted BR starts in any Halo game. Their legacy was to diminish the usefulness of the utility weapon with each sequel they released. Bungie designed Halo with the idea that players would run top middle with an automatic and spray whatever was in front of them over and over and over. That's the game they designed. It's an accident that there's any competitive viability in any of these games.

Your preference is not superior. Your preference is your preference. Keeping what I just said in mind about how Bungie designed these games, there are many people who look at a utility weapon as not being the "proper" Halo experience. Just because your preference allows for more competitive games does not mean it is the better experience. It just means it's more competitive. No one is forcing you to do anything. Quite the opposite. There are other playlists that don't have any SMG/AR starts at all. If you can't "relax" because there's an arbitrary number that will likely be reset again anyway in front of your made up Internet name, that's on you.

• Upvote (+1) 5

No hate mail, but I did get Reach-era betrayed for rockets once.

And then I got a sick "Hope to play with you again, teehee" message from some kid I dropped a 40 bomb on. An unironic "I wanna play/talk with you for practice". A weird polar opposite for what I expect. And now I have some kid messaging me about Halo tips. Time to train the next generation of PROS.

"pls post pic of ur undersuit"

What a person finds fun is absolutely subjective and absolutely on equal footing to whatever it is you may find fun. We're not discussing which gametype is more competitively viable, we're discussing preferences.

Please don't try and rewrite history to suggest any of the Halo maps were designed around BR starts. Bungie never, ever wanted BR starts in any Halo game. Their legacy was to diminish the usefulness of the utility weapon with each sequel they released. Bungie designed Halo with the idea that players would run top middle with an automatic and spray whatever was in front of them over and over and over. That's the game they designed. It's an accident that there's any competitive viability in any of these games.

Your preference is not superior. Your preference is your preference. Keeping what I just said in mind about how Bungie designed these games, there are many people who look at a utility weapon as not being the "proper" Halo experience. Just because your preference allows for more competitive games does not mean it is the better experience. It just means it's more competitive. No one is forcing you to do anything. Quite the opposite. There are other playlists that don't have any SMG/AR starts at all. If you can't "relax" because there's an arbitrary number that will likely be reset again anyway in front of your made up Internet name, that's on you.

Yes, but we also can't design a game around the nebulous concept of "fun," because, as you've pointed out, that means different things to different people. You first need to establish what the objective is; in this case, I think we can all agree that the objective, even in Social Slayer, should be to provide a fair, balanced gameplay experience. Once you define that as the objective, it is not longer subjective to say that AR/SMG starts are objectively worse. They are. It's not a debate. This isn't about "competitive vs. casual," it's about making the game play in the most fair way to all players. Saying "we're designing this for fun!" is a lazy way to avoid taking responsibility for failing to actually deliver what you hoped to deliver.

Just because players are "having fun" in Social Slayer does not mean the experience could not be even more fun with proper settings. A lot of players "have fun" by griefing teammates. A lot of players "have fun" by quitting early. Should we incorporate that into our game? Your argument is essentially "this is the way it should be because that's what Bungie said." We should instead be focusing on the question of "what makes the game play in the most fair, balanced way possible." People anchor their experiences too much on the original, shitty experience that Bungie designed rather than opening themselves up to even better experiences. This isn't unique to Halo or even video games, it's just a simple human bias. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Weird that they wouldn't want these weapons or use them as the base for a design, yet they kept them around in their roles for four games.  

Seriously, just because their utilities got sucky the further along they got does not mean they weren't used as a basis for map design, lmao. It's pretty obvious they are, right down to sightlines and the like, hence why you pick them up in these gametypes and they fit the all rounder role excellently for their respective title. And it's not an accident that MLG playlists existed, utilizing the most competitive aspects of the game. CE was an accident, where a single line of code being changed spawned the game we know today, an unintended joke of a change. The former is not.

People can argue that the utility weapon Halo is not a proper experience all they want. And they have absolutely no foot to stand on, but they can argue it. The idea of them liking it is where subjectivity comes in, not whether or not it's better. Because you can objectively list off the reasons as to why SMG Halo sucks compared to BR starts, for example. Or why having a utility is better than a bunch of scrambled weapons. This stuff isn't just preference, the fact you like SMG starts over BRs is the preference. And yes, your preferences can be superior or inferior. Just because you hold a subjective idea doesn't mean you're somehow exempt from criticism, or that your idea can't be better/worse than others, lmao. Especially in the case of becoming convinced of something like this. Opinions exist, and shit opinions exist. Not every opinion is valid equally or holds the same amount of weight, and it's weaksauce to think so, because it gives dumb ideas the same power as actual valid ideas and puts them on the same respective field. Which is stupid. 

Because making a game around a utility and a balanced sandbox now holds the same weight as making something on the level of Halo 2 SMG starts, which Bungie admitted were a mistake. What people find fun may be subjective, but the former is entirely better for the sake of the game. Which is what matters. Making a strong game that's designed well. Over one fitting an arbitrary "this is fun" mantra. Which is what customs are for. For the sake of the game, not even my views, AR/SMG starts do nothing but hurt the game compared to the best possible opposite scenario.

"pls post pic of ur undersuit"

SENT.

• Upvote (+1) 1