CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Guys, I've been trying to get into the program with no results. I want to stream and get hyped for this Atlanta 10k!

How do I get this going?

As long as you signed up to the Insider program and got the email saying you're in, you should be able to access it when Phase 2 of Flight 3 starts. If the intelligent delivery bug got fixed, that should hopefully be this week or next.

As long as you signed up to the Insider program and got the email saying you're in, you should be able to access it when Phase 2 of Flight 3 starts. If the intelligent delivery bug got fixed, that should hopefully be this week or next.

I installed and uninstalled that build a half dozen times this weekend with different download options and never had a problem, so hopefully sooner rather than later.

Was playing a bit of Halo 4's campaign in the MCC Insider. It really does look quite good in 4K. Some signs of its age are noticeable if you look closely, but it's pretty clean for the most part. Halo 4 always atmospherically came off as a dystopian nightmare of sorts and the higher resolution treats it well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really wonder what the point of H5's engine is. Like is there anything it's actually good at? The scale increase of warzone maybe, but even that is a bug-ridden mess and lags like hell at times. The maps aren't THAT big either, it's just the additonal 8 players and the introduction of AI that's mildly impressive. But other than that what does H5s engine bring to the table? And I'm not just talking the crap aiming and netcode. Both H4 and H2A on MCC look substantially better and run more stable, support split screen and don't need all these stupid compromises like 15 FPS animations at a distance and the pathetic ground textures.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I really wonder what the point of H5's engine is. Like is there anything it's actually good at? The scale increase of warzone maybe, but even that is a bug-ridden mess and lags like hell at times. The maps aren't THAT big either, it's just the additonal 8 players and the introduction of AI that's mildly impressive. But other than that what does H5s engine bring to the table? And I'm not just talking the crap aiming and netcode. Both H4 and H2A on MCC look substantially better and run more stable, support split screen and don't need all these stupid compromises like 15 FPS animations at a distance and the pathetic ground textures.

The Dynamic Resolution tech is actually pretty good. It does a good job at keeping the framerate at 60 but... it also causes weird square pixelation when it changes resolutions. You can't see it so much in-motion, but for me on my first-run Xbox one the post game bro-down looks like total dogshit.  It looked way better in the beta when it was just locked at 720.  I think the dynamic resolution may play a part in the janky aiming too. I wish that they just had a toggle to lock it at 720.

Otherwise no, the Halo 5 engine doesn't really bring anything to the table.  Its clearly difficult and risky to update and gave them a lot of problems during development.  There is no other excuse for it to be so devoid of content at launch (and still).  Honestly i think they knew all this well before H5 even released and have been working on the Slipspace engine since.

Edit:  They are really pushing the "games as a service" aspect.  Here's a quote from one of their job postings.

We believe that main should always be shippable and features should get to our customers as frequently as possible, with all of our services getting deployed to production weekly.

H2A and H4 were easily the smoothest experiences on MCC

If H2A had Midship and Beaver Creek, I would still love playing that game. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

I played Halo 5 for the first time in forever this weekend, just to see what's going on (just Warzone, no sprintslideclamberthrust on Fatship for me), and wow. That thing is held together with scotch tape. Midway through one firefight match the game just refused to spawn vehicles. You go to the REQ station, try to spawn something, and then the sequence would just end with you still in the base on foot and no vehicle. Try again and you get a "vehicle bay is busy" message. BUSY WITH WHAT? Sure, I guess we could try and kill 3 warden and 4 steroid knights in five minutes with SMGs and plasma casters. What a fresh new take on Halo!

Other random fails - a banshee boss clipped into one of those big support things on ARC and nobody could hit him because he decided to just light one up and chill in there. I spawned inside of a mountain on Apex 7, then the start menu came up unprompted and wouldn't go away. Had to dashboard. A "kill enemies" round of firefight ended because we couldn't find anyone. The entire map was empty except for us. Either no other enemies spawned or they too clipped out of the map. Or maybe just spawned out of the map because fuck it, that's a thing.

Then there's the usual stuff that has been there since launch, like the game having a stroke if you exit to the lobby too quickly after finishing a match, or eating your inputs if you - heaven forbid - try to melee or throw a grenade after thrusting or clambering. Wasn't Frank O'Spindoctor gushing during pre-launch about how players could string these abilities together during combat? Your game literally will not let me do it, champ.

The nuclear shit bomb that was MCC takes attention off of what an unstable piece of crap Halo 5 is.

• Upvote (+1) 6

The nuclear shit bomb that was MCC takes attention off of what an unstable piece of crap Halo 5 is.

Oh my god yes. My favorite is when you accidentally start MM in the wrong playlist and want to quickly back out, but  then this boi shows up:

261f1659-2f0a-485a-8696-9ceb65d64b9d_Thu

(why does this even exist, seriously) and you either have to wait 1-2 mins for this to go away or QTB. And yeah WZ and spawning REQs is broken as shit, which is hilarious given that they literally charge people (dumb people, but people nonetheless) real money to use these REQs and then your precious Ultra Banshee just doesn't spawn or the server crashes as soon as you get in. Way to make people feel robbed. I have spent a good amount of time clipped underneath the garage on various maps as a result of laggy servers and the overloaded vehicle bay. It's hilarious to watch.

I also love how the entire game freezes for 2 seconds for everyone every time someone quits or joins. Like no biggie, not like people come and go all the time in 24 man games.

Another favorite of mine is joining a party who is already searching. It will glitch you into their party but not really and the menu is this weird hybrid between the pre-game lobby and the main menu, wish I screencapped it. Bottom line, as soon as they find the game, you get the "could not connect to h5 lobby service" bullshit and get booted.

I remember a play session with Apoll0 and Hardway like 6 months ago where BTB would always get stuck a the "Deploying" countdown and kick the entire lobby one by one. Again, either QTB or wait 5 minutes. This still hasn't been fully fixed btw.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If H2A had Midship and Beaver Creek, I would still love playing that game. 

With a few more maps all that needs to happen is hitmarkers need to be taken out and stalactites disabled. I'd play the crap outta that game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

With a few more maps all that needs to happen is hitmarkers need to be taken out and stalactites disabled. I'd play the crap outta that game.

And a shooting skill gap that my grandmother wouldn't be decent at.

And a movement speed and strafe closer to the much better game it's supposed to be a remake of.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Excluding Midship from H2A is one of the most lol things 343 has ever done. That's like opening a McDonald's and not serving french fries.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Excluding Midship from H2A is one of the most lol things 343 has ever done. That's like opening a McDonald's and not serving french fries.

They didn’t want H2A to have a map they were banking on to feature in Halo 5... twice.

• Upvote (+1) 2

And a shooting skill gap that my grandmother wouldn't be decent at.

And a movement speed and strafe closer to the much better game it's supposed to be a remake of.

I am no game developer, but I would assume it would take a few hours max to fix the hitmarkers, strafe, and aim assist, which is a shame. I am really hoping that Halo Infinite has a Forge that allows players to essentially mod weapons and movement to our liking. The way microsoft has been talking about mods etc. on the Xbox has been promising. 

I remember a few years ago Ace said something like "H2A is the game that Halo 4 should have been." I couldn't agree with this more. If you were to take H2A give it some more maps, tweak some of the things any serious player would change, and I do think Halo's competitive scene is in a much better place now than it is.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I am no game developer, but I would assume it would take a few hours max to fix the hitmarkers, strafe, and aim assist, which is a shame. I am really hoping that Halo Infinite has a Forge that allows players to essentially mod weapons and movement to our liking. The way microsoft has been talking about mods etc. on the Xbox has been promising. 

I remember a few years ago Ace said something like "H2A is the game that Halo 4 should have been." I couldn't agree with this more. If you were to take H2A give it some more maps, tweak some of the things any serious player would change, and I do think Halo's competitive scene is in a much better place now than it is.

Speaking from a simple UI standpoint, which I don't know how 343 has it set up, it should be a toggle set to false. Hit marker noises should be pretty much a very similar process. 

But again I don't know how 343 has their stuff set up and their engine might make it a lot more difficult.

Remember when we asked 343 to get rid of hit markers on mcc ce and they just lowered the volume because they couldnt figure out how to remove them.

god bless. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Remember when we asked 343 to get rid of hit markers on mcc ce and they just lowered the volume because they couldnt figure out how to remove them.

god bless.

Exactly as you remember it
  • Upvote (+1) 4

H2A still needs static weapon spawns. Idgaf if that’s how it was in H2. It was stupid then and it’s stupid now. If we were gonna fix stuff, that needs to be included.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 3 with no spread, 115% movement speed, and improved netcode would be a vast improvement over vanilla H3 and would alleviate most issues people have with the game.

It would also be a great starting point to show people why projectiles is vastly superior to hitscan since I’ve noticed a lot of people incorrectly use H3’s awful bullet spread + bad netcode and assume projectile bullets are bad period.

I think a lot of these people would change there mind if they play a Halo game that uses projectiles actually has a good netcode, an actual shooting skill gap and sniper rifles that aren’t easy mode.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yeah that "Cancelling Matchmaking..." thing is really annoying. Older Halo's you backed out instantly. Now you back out and guess what? found a game in a shit playlist you have to play or get quitter banned, It's like FFS.

Tbh h2a and h4 are the smoothest halo games of all. I say that with great sadness. Like in terms of performance they were the best. H5 should of used the h2a engine then it wouldn’t be shit! Like movement, shooting, everything in terms of performance made these games seem awesome.

Halo 4 does have the smoothest aiming in the series, and it's not really close. It gets overlooked a lot. I would give it to Halo 1, but the vertical sensitivity is too slow.

Halo 4 does have the smoothest aiming in the series, and it's not really close. It gets overlooked a lot. I would give it to Halo 1, but the vertical sensitivity is too slow.

exactly. If h4 added descope, toned aim assist down it be pretty damn good game. I still liked reaches aiming though. That was smooth and consistent like h2’s.

I seriously don't know how they went from Halo 4's aiming, to Halo 5's aiming and thought it was an upgrade.  Whatever sense curves and algorithms they were using in H4, just copy and paste that shit for Halo Infinite and add in the dead zone and acceleration options from H5. If they could add 1/2 or 1/4 ticks to the sensitivity that would be great.  I don't really think we need the separate horizontal and vertical settings if the aiming at its core isn't dogshit.

exactly. If h4 added descope, toned aim assist down it be pretty damn good game. I still liked reaches aiming though. That was smooth and consistent like h2’s.

ehhhh, H4 would still need more work than that.  better maps, no ordinance, no loadouts, proper ranked and social splits.  When you get into the details Halo 4 is a really bad multiplayer experience.

• Upvote (+1) 3