CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

They should just drop team arena and then just call team hardcore team arena. I mean... did they not JUST learn this lesson with H5 and the HCS playlist? I mean honestly what is the point of having both playlists be ranked? It would be like blizzard deciding to make quick play in OW ranked. It would make no damn sense and would completely ruin the entire point of the quick play play list. I also can’t stand people who want to have a shiny rank next to their name but also have to have radar because they don’t like communicating or playing as a team. You want a 50? Get a fucking mic and earn it.

It needs to be treated like they're doing CE doubles. Provide the most competitive settings that the best players have been using for over a decade and don't indicate that the playlist is "for the hardcore." The default settings should be the most competitively viable because halo is an FPS. 343 is simply not good at concision and it is ruining all of their well-intentioned efforts.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The cross game btb playlist won't fuck up the other 4v4 lists very much, but the cross game slayer playlist?? What in the actual fuck.  If you want each game to have a slayer playlist, combine "Team Hardcore" and "Team Arena" into just a single "Ranked" playlist, then you have room for each individual game should you choose.  

This shit is not hard.  

• Upvote (+1) 5

Rotational FFA is fucking trash I don't want to play H4/H2A FFA...they better not have any SMG/AR start gametypes like default MCC does.

Also why does Halo 1 never get mentioned in any of the updates.

maybe because it’s not as popular as h2 & h3.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

lol @ people playing 4v4 CE

it's fun on sidewinder and blood gulch but i never really enjoyed it. 3v3, 2v2, ffa and 1v1 were the way to go

lol @ people play H3 over H2

• Upvote (+1) 7

it's fun on sidewinder and blood gulch but i never really enjoyed it. 3v3, 2v2, ffa and 1v1 were the way to go

I'm just picturing it now: Red team has height advantage and blue keeps getting grenaded off spawn on Prisoner because of some n00b forcing them to spawn there. Repeat x50.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm just picturing it now: Red team has height advantage and blue keeps getting grenaded off spawn on Prisoner because of some n00b forcing them to spawn there. Repeat x50.

that happens in 2s.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

It's a lot easier to get my scrubby friends interested in 4v4 Halo 1 than 2v2 Halo 1 so if it means I get to play Halo 1 then I'm down.

Longest can bite my banger though. Shit map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As someone who has an interest in playing CE but doesn't want to solo search a 2v2 playlist while not having enough experience with the game mechanics, a 4v4 playlist sounds great for people like me. There are resources that teach things like spawns and all, but it takes game time to get a feel for how the mechanics of a game play and a social playlist like that that doesn't make me fear ruining the game experience for those in a ranked 2v2 playlist.

Woulda been nice to see H4 get its own BTB playlist so H$ could at least have some sort of playlist. H4 BTB isn't all that bad of a casual game (or at least H4 is so frustrating and BTB is the most tolerable mode in it). Crossing it with CE and H2 will diminish the number of CE and H2 games we get. I've heard voting is gone, so that would create even more quit outs in a cross game playlist.

Having an arena playlist for H2 and H3 is fine, but having it ranked is a problem. While I personally care for competitive and super casual (Action Sack) options, I'm worried that other people who enjoy Halo will be turned off by the lack of casual options. If Team Arena were a casual option I feel that it and Hardcore wouldn't cannibalize each other as much.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Disappointing matchmaking update, very underwhelmed. At least have the decency to make good on your word and rid us of cross game playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 2

4v4 in Halo 1 can be pretty fun but it depends on the maps and game types that you're playing.

That being said I prefer to play 2v2 and 3v3 when playing Halo 1.

8 POV's on one screen? You trying to give me a seizure?

• Upvote (+1) 4

From talking to kornman a bit and hearing other things other 343 guys have mentioned it looks like they do intend to fix the sounds and map geometry differences at some point.

I'm really losing hope for that. It seems that Gearbox and Saber ass-raped Halo 1 so hard, all of Microsoft can't sew it back up... >_<

How about this. I'm not into Discord (it strikes me as this kind of shady backroom thing, like binary newsgroups - I like things to be in the open), so tell Kornman to just stop trying to fix the current bastardized version of Halo 1, and get Code Mystics to re-port the original Xbox version from scratch. And use Chimera for a proper 60 FPS conversion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Disappointing matchmaking update, very underwhelmed. At least have the decency to make good on your word and rid us of cross game playlists.

I wouldn't mind cross-game playlists at all if you can't vote or veto.

That's exactly how it's going to work.

halo ce gets selected. 

5 people quit

yeah fuck that. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

8 POV's on one screen? You trying to give me a seizure?

I know that 8 POV's on one screen can be a bit too much to watch but those two videos that I linked illustrated the point that I was making that 4v4 in Halo 1 can be fun to play, it just requires for you to use the right combination of maps and game types. 4v4 Odd Ball on Downrush and 4v4 King of the Hill on Imminent seem like they are really fun game types. Too bad that you can't currently play those two maps on MCC Halo 1.

Also at certain points in the first video that I linked they focused on one player's POV for a brief moment.

I'm really losing hope for that. It seems that Gearbox and Saber ass-raped Halo 1 so hard, all of Microsoft can't sew it back up... >_<

This statement is stupid and makes you look ignorant of even of the most basic elements of what goes into creating software. This isn't some mystic object that is created through casting spells and hoping for the best. Every single part of the game is available to them to change to however they see fit.

How about this. I'm not into Discord (it strikes me as this kind of shady backroom thing, like binary newsgroups - I like things to be in the open)

Once again, ignorance. The Halo1Hub discord has about 350 members. Comprised of Programmers, Halo PC modders, the creators of NHE and Halo 1 players of various skill. All available to contact in real time. Please name something that makes using this forum better than using discord.

And use Chimera for a proper 60 FPS conversion.

Another ignorant statement. Chimera does not cause the animations to actually occur at 60 FPS. It interpolates them to give the appearance of 60 FPS. 

I don't claim to know how Halo 1 will turn out after they cease updating the game. Perhaps only superficial changes will be made and they will deem further improvements to be a poor investment of resources. At that point I will be as mad as anyone, but that is not where we are.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Please name something that makes using this forum better than using discord.

Umm it's public? There are tons of lurkers here and vital information can actually be shared with others on twitter/reddit/waypoint and you know actually verified, whereas everyone can pull stuff out of their ass and claim "the guys on the discord said it!".

• Upvote (+1) 1

Umm it's public? There are tons of lurkers here and vital information can actually be shared with others on twitter/reddit/waypoint and you know actually verified, whereas everyone can pull stuff out of their ass and claim "the guys on the discord said it!".

Umm how is discord not public? You can join the Halo 1 hub discord without being invited.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Umm how is discord not public? You can join the Halo 1 hub discord without being invited.

Multiple channels are locked and you need to get approved to get into them, whereas everyone can sign up here and could instantly chat to devs (if they would ever post here lol), but it's not a requirement to seeing post. Posts on this forum literally show up on google search. I know it's a nitpick, but you asked for "one reason this forum is better than discord".

• Upvote (+1) 1

As someone who has an interest in playing CE but doesn't want to solo search a 2v2 playlist while not having enough experience with the game mechanics, a 4v4 playlist sounds great for people like me. There are resources that teach things like spawns and all, but it takes game time to get a feel for how the mechanics of a game play and a social playlist like that that doesn't make me fear ruining the game experience for those in a ranked 2v2 playlist.

4vs4 is so different than 2vs2 you would be wasting time trying to learn. The spawn system is one of the most important things to learn. In 2vs2, you always spawn off one person. In 4vs4, you can spawn off anyone. You need to see where your teammate spawns everytime based off where you are. That won't happen in 4vs4. Halospawns is cool, but game experience is way more valuable. There's a ton of shit to learn on top of spawns, too. If you put 10 hours in a 2vs2, you'll be way better off than 10 hours into 4vs4. If your end goal is to get better at 2vs2, that's what you should practice. I learned the game from scratch 2 years ago solely in the Halo 1 playlist.

I'm sure some discords can be like that but this one never seemed like that to me. From what I can tell a summary of what goes on there has been posted here for people to discuss. So the information is still there but you can't provide feedback to them. The trade-off to me is that they are directly communicating in a platform that houses hundreds of dedicated players from modders to devs to competitive players to map makers to PC players etc. There seems to be some solid back and forth discussions from both parties who are willing to look into things in depth rather than base things on nostalgia, assumptions, or just make generalizing blanket statements about specific games/mechanics.

These forums are a mixed bag of opinions. I would rather them focus on Halo CE stuff in the Halo CE discord, Halo 2 stuff with the Halo 2 discord etc. There are some Halo 3 players out there that are die hard competitive players. I enjoy the game but personally am not sure why they don't enjoy CE 2's, but if they are trying to fix Halo 3 I would much rather have them try and communicate with those players than me.

• Upvote (+1) 4