CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

@@RVG E Nomini @OG Nick @@Hard Way

Sorry guys, but my health has been giving me issues lately. I haven't been able to play much. But I should be good soon. I'll hit ya'll up for some games.

Take all the time you need my man. It's the end of the quarter for me so I haven't been on much. Hope you start feelin better.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So should I be excited for the MCC patch in regards to CE? I haven't followed the scene nearly as closely as I use to, so I am not sure if the patch is really gonna make a significant difference for CE. Whats the vibe on how effective this patch is actually going to be? 

So should I be excited for the MCC patch in regards to CE? I haven't followed the scene nearly as closely as I use to, so I am not sure if the patch is really gonna make a significant difference for CE. Whats the vibe on how effective this patch is actually going to be? 

the only info we have is that they hired a Halo pc modder who developed a very powerful tool used for modding halo pc himself. He is working on fixing CE and 2. he has not made his presence known on social media nor has he talked/entered in the halo pc/ce discord since the hire as far as i am aware

• Upvote (+1) 6

Your guess is as good as ours. As Riddler said 343 had the humility to hire Sean Cooper, a PC modder to work on both H1 and H2. It sounds as if he has made some improvements to H1 in particular. They haven't talked specifically about what this next patch is going to fix, so it's difficult to say how much it will improve the H1 experience. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Your guess is as good as ours. As Riddler said 343 had the humility to hire Sean Cooper, a PC modder to work on both H1 and H2. It sounds as if he has made some improvements to H1 in particular. They haven't talked specifically about what this next patch is going to fix, so it's difficult to say how much it will improve the H1 experience. 

Thanks, I guess we have to hope for the best. I think at this point M$ has realized hw important Halo is to their Xbox brand. If nothing else I hope they see The MCC as a good selling point for Xbox as long as it actually works. 

couldnt find anything about ce

Sounds like the fault was in the port (which most people assumed), but I do hope they talk about it in detail. They fucked over a lot of people  with MCC. Might as well talk about what happened a this point. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

the only info we have is that they hired a Halo pc modder who developed a very powerful tool used for modding halo pc himself. He is working on fixing CE and 2. he has not made his presence known on social media nor has he talked/entered in the halo pc/ce discord since the hire as far as i am aware

Why they wouldn't reach out to the H1 Final people is beyond me, but I guess we just havre to hope for the best. 

Why they wouldn't reach out to the H1 Final people is beyond me, but I guess we just havre to hope for the best.

couldnt find anything about ce

To summarize what korn has said in the past:

-He's aware of halobugs and documentation regarding MCC CE's quirks.

-He is aware of CE's competitive scene and works with people close to esports/competitive. Its not his only concern, obviously, but multiplayer has been a priority for him.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I got to play some brand new CE maps at the VA LAN this weekend. I think they’re adding 2 of the 5 to the next version of NHE. I think the consensus is Tinker and Ballyhoo, and they are both awesome as fuck. I hope you guys get to play them both some day, especially Tinker. I’ll post some of my own gameplay on it once Devilman uploads the stream. I was going OFF.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I mean it's not really surprising. Most people under the age of 28 or so probably don't like it that much. They don't have the memories of it from before Halo 2, and they've probably never been shown how to play or why it's good. I know of very few people that both know how to play H1 well and don't like it.

all trolling aside, I wasn’t wrong that majority today don’t like CE and YOU just stated why. Not all of us were teens bringing those cubed TVs over to your buds house and playing 2s,4s,8s, random customs etc. most of us are h3 kids so you can see why most prefer it. And these days most of us can’t handle 30fps on shooters, so playing ce on OG Xbox is out of the question. If there’s a way to play CE that’s close to Xbox if not better on 60fps I’d be interested.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

he could be and just keeping a wrap on it. he could just be knocking out halobugs.com/all known vista bugs. he could just be an overconfident dude with an ego. at least there is a dice to be rolled i guess. 

also the halo 1 final code is piss easy to do with a source code. remove weapon take out sounds, add a timer, change the spread value to 0. you could do it within 1hour probably. but again, he could at least talk or hint at his progress :( 

• Upvote (+1) 1

all trolling aside, I wasn’t wrong that majority today don’t like CE and YOU just stated why. Not all of us were teens bringing those cubed TVs over to your buds house and playing 2s,4s,8s, random customs etc. most of us are h3 kids so you can see why most prefer it. And these days most of us can’t handle 30fps on shooters, so playing ce on OG Xbox is out of the question. If there’s a way to play CE that’s close to Xbox if not better on 60fps I’d be interested.

The majority today don't even understand CE enough to legitimately dislike it. At most, they go into the playlist for one game, get destroyed by people who've been playing for 15 years and quit without ever attempting to understand why they're so bad. There are no legitimate reasons for why H3 kids dislike CE. There are just stupid reasons.

Also, it's not that difficult to adapt to 30fps if you really wanna play the OG version. Just sounds like another excuse not to invest time into understanding the game.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I got to play some brand new CE maps at the VA LAN this weekend. I think they’re adding 2 of the 5 to the next version of NHE. I think the consensus is Tinker and Ballyhoo, and they are both awesome as fuck. I hope you guys get to play them both some day, especially Tinker. I’ll post some of my own gameplay on it once Devilman uploads the stream. I was going OFF.

Is there youtube gameplay of the new maps by any chance? 

Is there youtube gameplay of the new maps by any chance? 

Should be in the VABEACHLAN twitch videos.  Devilman will probably upload the gameplay soonish.  

Any news on things changing for H1 in MCC?  

• Upvote (+1) 1

The majority today don't even understand CE enough to legitimately dislike it. At most, they go into the playlist for one game, get destroyed by people who've been playing for 15 years and quit without ever attempting to understand why they're so bad. There are no legitimate reasons for why H3 kids dislike CE. There are just stupid reasons.

Also, it's not that difficult to adapt to 30fps if you really wanna play the OG version. Just sounds like another excuse not to invest time into understanding the game.

yes it is hard as shit to get readjusted to 30 FPS because it takes hours to get used to it, have you played any game at 144 FPS? Hell 60 isn’t even that great.

And right there is your elitest bullshit opinion, where people don’t understand so apparently they have no right to dislike it when through many games one comes to their own conclusion terrible spawns, most players don’t like a spawn system that’s extremely easy to spawn kill on. Your teammates position shouldn’t determine that they spawn two feet next to you.

“Stupid reasons” again that’s your bs opinion. You’re 30 they’re 21 aka not going to like ce as much. You only love it the way you do is because you grew up on it. You can’t find one person who started on h3> that likes CE the best not one i bet.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Like I’m honestly curious where in your mind do you believe ce isn’t flawed to disliking? Look I’m going to be that guy who says graphics matter. Now they don’t matter all too much but halo ce in 2018 doesn’t look good from many perspectives. H3 and beyond is something needed I understand in your day those graphics were the shit, but understand a lot of h3 people don’t feel the same.

Gameplay feels clunky it doesn’t in anyway feel smooth which can throw people off.

At the moment the mcc version sucks so that also will determine someone’s negative opinion maybe once it’s patched people might change their minds about ce. Animations, graphics, clunky gameplay, you may be able to see why some dislike it greatly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

yes it is hard as shit to get readjusted to 30 FPS because it takes hours to get used to it, have you played any game at 144 FPS? Hell 60 isn’t even that great.

And right there is your elitest bullshit opinion, where people don’t understand so apparently they have no right to dislike it when through many games one comes to their own conclusion terrible spawns, most players don’t like a spawn system that’s extremely easy to spawn kill on. Your teammates position shouldn’t determine that they spawn two feet next to you.

“Stupid reasons” again that’s your bs opinion. You’re 30 they’re 21 aka not going to like ce as much. You only love it the way you do is because you grew up on it. You can’t find one person who started on h3> that likes CE the best not one i bet.

Wait, you should've asked if the bet could be for him to talk about how much he loves CE

it's pretty simple. when you break down things objectively, ce is the winner of the bunch. it has very few flaws. whereas when you analyze halo 3+ you can throw a dart with your eyes closed and hit something broken. 

dynamic timers, low fov, br spread, slow strafe speed, slow kill times, Best TTK is very close to average TTK making it so you cant outplay your opponent, camo is 30seconds instead of 45, os is now 2 layer instead of 3, rockets can't kill from med range making them a camp weapon instead of an aggro weapon. the weapon balance is just less balanced. sniper is far greater than the br at every range, rockets always beat br at close range because you either kill them or get them 1 shot and u have so much time to switch to a br and clean up. default power weapons/up are on 2-3min timers even if the other person doesn't dirty them which makes gameplay play super slow. 2v2 games in ce take as long as 4v4 games in 3 and they both go to 50, mostly because of slow power weapon/ups spawns. 

you look at ce and you see... well the jump delay could be removed and u add an ingame timer to default ce (already modded in). the gameplay isn't clunky lol. that's so subjective in the first place. you move faster and you're stronger. how does that make it more clunky? the arty style is pretty close to 3... you can stick a halo 3 map on ce and it wouldn't feel out of place or vice versa. the graphics outside of campaign have actually aged well, akin to super smash bros melee. they're timeless (unlike halo 5). fucking minecraft is the most popular game and the graphics are straight out of 1998 

you're right that CE circle jerk is strong. that's because it's been beaten to death why it's the best, since 2004. people here (not me i'm 2k12) have written these types of paragraphs over and over since 2004. so the community who browses the active comp forum at the time know this. it's the new people who aren't enlightened yet. the people who come here who love 2/3/4/r/w/e see these threads and when they think objectively why they love halo 3 over ce, they can't place a thing other than personal reasons (don't like graphics, skill gap, animations, etc). 

I started with halo 2 but i didn't get into competitive until halo 3. I loved halo 3, played it 8hours a day on average because I was in high school. It wasn't until I was in college after the depression of reach/4 that I learned the error in my ways. I ignored the community posts about how great CE was because back then I hated anything that was different than halo 3. "Lol you need power ups to win bro?" and I was all about "out br'ing" kids and god I cringe thinking how silly I was thinking that compared to out pistoling someone in ce (though the mcc pistol is about as much as a lottery weapon as the halo 3 br so you definitely cant experience that except on lan). during reach, I explored halo 2 more since it was my first and I wanted to see what the hype was about back in the day. While chilling on xbc, i discovered CE for the first time but i didn't really like it (tho no netcode prob didnt help). it just felt like an outdated game. Then one day I just really wanted to get back into halo (halo 4 sucked so now I was 3 years [2010-2013] without a proper halo game) and the only other community was CE. So I decided to see what the hype about CE was all about and god it was so amazing once I learned the basics; a whole new world. 

and super melee, your own arguments can be used against 3. It's just as easy to spawn kill on 2/3 as it is ce. Have you ever watched renzo/magnitude play a 1v1 on guardian? If you kill people at needler at halo 3 on the pit, where are they going to spawn? 100% at snipe 1/court where they are going to get blained. now if it's CE spawn mechanics on the pit, you wouldn't know without seeing the enemy so at least the person alive can dictate to spawn his teammates at court or not at court. complaining that it's easy to spawn kill in ce when youre a pro playing a novice is just dumb. you can't make a great competitive game without some sort of skill curve. halo 3 is not a great competitive game, it's worse than 2's but it rode on 2's coat tails which rode on halo 1's and MLG pushed it hard because halo was so popular (and ofc the owner loved halo ce). Don't think i'm right about that? where are all the halo 3 lans now that mlg is gone? they haven't existed since reach. 

and i do agree with the notion that if you don't understand something, you are not allowed to voice your opinion on the merits of that thing. That's like me advising you on quantum mechanics. And since i don't understand quantum mechanics, saying I don't like quantum mechanics specifically is flawed. I can say I don't like that I don't understand quantum mechanics. 

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Like I’m honestly curious where in your mind do you believe ce isn’t flawed to disliking?

Ce is a worn down house on a solid foundation.  The game has issues that stick out more as it ages but the underlying design (fast and consistent weapon, small sandbox with completely unique, generally better designed weapons, mechanical depth, so on and so on.) is pretty much flawless.  Tear down the existing structure and build something new (60fps, better graphics, forge, balance adjustments, etc).  I'm not asking for an exact replica of Ce including it's jump delay and nuke grenades and all that other shit.  I'm asking for a game that follows the same style of gameplay.

H3 on the other hand is a worn down house on a sinking foundation.  The game has issues and the underlying design (weak and unreliable weapon, very bloated sandbox of similar weapons, OP weapons on long spawn times, simplified mechanics like melee lunge, etc) isn't worth building on.  Again, outside of graphics, non-gameplay features and nostalgia what about it is actually better from the standpoint of gameplay?  You've mentioned spawns, what else?

• Upvote (+1) 2