CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

@@arglactable

I see you must have missed my response. Figure I'll ask again that way I have a better understanding at how this goes. Me personally, I think Halo CE 2v2's are the best form of competitive Halo. I did mention there was an h2 event cause hey, while I think CE is best there are others that think H2 or H3 is the best.

Stop me where I am wrong. I assume you are a fan of Halo. I assume you are a fan of competitive shooters. I know you hate console gaming. I get that Halo CE is on a console but I'm just trying to see where you draw this line being an active member of a competitive Halo site. This really just doesn't go for you either but there seems to be a rather large group of people out there that seem to push competitive merit to the forefront, prefer classic halo over modern, yet seemingly are not interest in attending a LAN.

mrw-i-submit-a-reaction-gif-while-americ

It was worth a shot. There's plenty of valid reasons to not be able to attend something like this imo despite the fact that I think it's a dream LAN. Just trying to get insight from those who seemingly have interest in competitive Halo (competitive gaming), are displeased with the current direction but have no desire to attend an event featuring a classic game.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Fortnite shooting mechanics aren’t bad. Random spread? Bruh you can control that just don’t spam like you’re crazy. If the game was completely no bloom and no spread shit be way too easy.

As much as I wholeheartedly disagree with all of this answer this question. What about the cod campaign auto lock on? How can a game have good shooting mechanics when scoping in literally gives you auto aim on a guy?

Yes it does. It’s all projectile haha. So lock you’re out of luck in that. Fortnite just doesn’t have any recoil. Fortnite isn’t halo bruh. Even halo 1 had random spread.

As much as I wholeheartedly disagree with all of this answer this question. What about the cod campaign auto lock on? How can a game have good shooting mechanics when scoping in literally gives you auto aim on a guy?

bruh have you played fortnite on pc? If there was no spread no bloom period 100% accurate every shot, things would be too easy.

Also you disagree because you enjoy games like halo and doom which don’t implement this into their games. Randomness is annoying but in fortnite this can be controlled a lot easier than other shooters. In halo all you need to do is spam the trigger and your shots will hit. With bloom it forces you to pace your shots and by doing so it’s easy to control the spread. You can spam still and it can be effective but missing shots happens quite a bit at least on pc.

You mentioned the lock on for call of duty, but I’m curious on how you could fix this for the console shooters? With a controller you need aim assist(don’t even act like you don’t youre a fool if you believe that), now they could remove the lock on feature but then you might as well turn aim assist off completely, then you’ll get complaints from kids saying it’s too hard to aim because some jack ball turned aim assist off on console with inaccurate analog sticks.

The Sniper Rifles and Crossbow are projectile.

The Rocket and Grenade are obviously projectile.

Every other gun in the game is hitscan.

Spread doesn't make the game harder, it just makes it random.  Remove spread then apply projectile to the hitscan weapons if they become too overbearing.

It was worth a shot. There's plenty of valid reasons to not be able to attend something like this imo despite the fact that I think it's a dream LAN. Just trying to get insight from those who seemingly have interest in competitive Halo (competitive gaming), are displeased with the current direction but have no desire to attend an event featuring a classic game.

@@Teapot

I want my games to be competitively designed because then I'm not dying to bullshit and have a reason to stick around the game because of constant room for improvement.  That doesn't necessarily mean I'm at the skill level for or have any desire to attend competitive events.

• Upvote (+1) 1

bruh have you played fortnite on pc? If there was no spread no bloom period 100% accurate every shot, things would be too easy.

Also you disagree because you enjoy games like halo and doom which don’t implement this into their games. Randomness is annoying but in fortnite this can be controlled a lot easier than other shooters. In halo all you need to do is spam the trigger and your shots will hit. With bloom it forces you to pace your shots and by doing so it’s easy to control the spread. You can spam still and it can be effective but missing shots happens quite a bit at least on pc.

You mentioned the lock on for call of duty, but I’m curious on how you could fix this for the console shooters? With a controller you need aim assist(don’t even act like you don’t youre a fool if you believe that), now they could remove the lock on feature but then you might as well turn aim assist off completely, then you’ll get complaints from kids saying it’s too hard to aim because some jack ball turned aim assist off on console with inaccurate analog sticks.

There’s a big difference between snap-on aiming and reticle friction. Console’s badly need some reticle friction, but snap-on aiming when you hit LT is some campaign bullshit that shouldn’t be in any multiplayer. I remember needing to do this with BF4 because your reticle friction would literally expire if the fight was too long, but if you let go of LT and immediately hit it again, you would refresh your aim assistance and it’d be way easier to finish the kill. It was really stupid but I got good at abusing it.

Speaking of snap-on aiming, can we talk about how dog ass terrible the aiming is in Far Cry 5? Holy fucking shit.

Speaking of snap-on aiming, can we talk about how dog ass terrible the aiming is in Far Cry 5? Holy fucking shit.

Feels fine to me—Oh, you mean on Xbox.

:walshy: 

I was completely ignorant to all of that bc I haven’t played more than an hour of it and I’ve only watched PC gameplay. :(

I don't know what he's talking about. I'm obviously biased but I've never experienced this autolock on for the sniper or really any of the weapons.

@@Teapot

I want my games to be competitively designed because then I'm not dying to bullshit and have a reason to stick around the game because of constant room for improvement.  That doesn't necessarily mean I'm at the skill level for or have any desire to attend competitive events.

That's fair enough. Like I said, there are many valid reasons to not attend an event. Lack of skill is one, low funds is another, not using vacation time to game is another. I can name a few more. I am nowhere near the top players when I first attended and still am not, but I do find it fun to have that opportunity to play them.

It just seems like some of the more vocal people who enjoy classic Halo also have the least amount of desire to make it happen. Look at the people who LAN Halo CE. Look at the group that continues to play Halo 2 online. It seems like the ones who really want that experienced back will go out of their way to get it. While Beach LAN is big and has a bunch of highly skilled players, there are other groups and regions throughout where the skill level varies.

Thanks for the insight though. While there are plenty of valid reasons, it just seems like the more vocal ones regarding classic Halo and competition are the ones that have no interest in attending or learning how to play what consider to be the most competitive Halo experience. It sucks to see that, especially with all the new maps for Halo CE.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know what he's talking about. I'm obviously biased but I've never experienced this autolock on for the sniper or really any of the weapons.

My man just grab an AR and scope in near a guy. It will auto lock onto him. Like this isn't some conspiracy.

There’s a big difference between snap-on aiming and reticle friction. Console’s badly need some reticle friction, but snap-on aiming when you hit LT is some campaign bullshit that shouldn’t be in any multiplayer. I remember needing to do this with BF4 because your reticle friction would literally expire if the fight was too long, but if you let go of LT and immediately hit it again, you would refresh your aim assistance and it’d be way easier to finish the kill. It was really stupid but I got good at abusing it.

HOly shit yeah its bad.  The snap-on is fine for campaign most of the time, but even then trying to switch targets without descoping first is a chooooore.  In arcade its so stick that its actually difficult to switch your reticle from one side of a person to their other side like if they are running and you are trying to aim for their leading edge. For some reason i got it on PS4 instead of Xbox or PC (wife's friend from work was going to coop with me... has yet to happen) and i hate the playstation controller, which makes it worse.

Its too bad really because the base game is really stupid fun.  The "Fuck yeah 'Merica!!" is strong with this one

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I checked out Beach LAN and apparently this goes on 20 minutes down the road from me.

@@Teapot how much skill is too little skill to go to this thing?

I’ve been at the very bottom for 2 beach lans and a Virginia lan. I found people I could get good games with each time. You’ll definitely need to do some homework first though, and be receptive to criticism.

My man just grab an AR and scope in near a guy. It will auto lock onto him. Like this isn't some conspiracy.

I have literally never experienced this for any of the ar variants. Reticle friction? Yes, on the burst. Snap On aiming? No.

I have literally never experienced this for any of the ar variants. Reticle friction? Yes, on the burst. Snap On aiming? No.

Then look harder lmao it's a known thing. It's not just the AR. You're making this sound like a weird opinion man and it's literally a fact of the game on console. It snap aims for you. Go test it.

I apologize for the video itself...egh...but this is what I could find on short notice.  An example of him doing it with the AR near the end of the video.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Now, granted I've barely played Fortnite, because my name is not Bob the Builder, but, uh... doesn't it already use a projectile model?

Yes it does. It’s all projectile haha. So lock you’re out of luck in that. Fortnite just doesn’t have any recoil. Fortnite isn’t halo bruh. Even halo 1 had random spread.

Only the sniper and crossbow use projectile, everything else is hitscan. Including the ARs, which are the problem.

So I checked out Beach LAN and apparently this goes on 20 minutes down the road from me.

While anyone can attend, it's best to make sure you have someone willing to play with you as well as seeing if there's another 2 that you can play against to give you good games

You should know spawns, have screen watching experience, and know how to at the very least nade camo down on damny. I'd say just making sure you have a partner is the big one. So much of what happens to me in the game is directly 100% influenced by you so there's more potential frustration out there between teams.

Avoid teaming with top players, as they do have steep expectations in skill/making the right play. With that said you should be fine. The skill gap definitely varies though. If you know the basics than there should be 4 ppl that can create good games. I am always down to team with anyone who is willing to listen and learn.

• Upvote (+1) 2

That's fair enough. Like I said, there are many valid reasons to not attend an event. Lack of skill is one, low funds is another, not using vacation time to game is another. I can name a few more. I am nowhere near the top players when I first attended and still am not, but I do find it fun to have that opportunity to play them.

It just seems like some of the more vocal people who enjoy classic Halo also have the least amount of desire to make it happen. Look at the people who LAN Halo CE. Look at the group that continues to play Halo 2 online. It seems like the ones who really want that experienced back will go out of their way to get it. While Beach LAN is big and has a bunch of highly skilled players, there are other groups and regions throughout where the skill level varies.

Thanks for the insight though. While there are plenty of valid reasons, it just seems like the more vocal ones regarding classic Halo and competition are the ones that have no interest in attending or learning how to play what consider to be the most competitive Halo experience. It sucks to see that, especially with all the new maps for Halo CE.

Shyness is probably the biggest reason I don't play with local people around me. That and my lack of skill in CE, I don't find myself terrible, but I'm not on any level near the current pros. All of my old halo friends are either married or don't like CE, so I can't take them. Hasuku and Skitzo are both nice enough to invite me when they LAN, but I just can't bring myself to go.

I usually retweet and try to hang out in chat when BeachLAN goes live though. Its at the very least something. If there are any other ways to support these events let me know.

if you learn how the game works, that's enough. you can learn the basics on MCC. It's only 20minutes down the road so it's not even a commitment like it is for the rest. Show up for FFA day and participate in the FFAs. skill levels vary, some people can be touchy though some don't mind and some are supportive. The most important thing to learn is spawns. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

@@Larry Sizemore

Stuff that I’ve been scolded for:

Chill Out: Not prioritizing rockets. Going through pink hall to PR after getting camo.

Hang Em High: Not nading the closest random to the living player when they are 1 down.

Derelict: Not nading OS in the final 5 seconds of the cycle when they have top. Not focusing on denying camo enough when they have top.

Dammy: Being too slow to contest camo.

Prisoner: Not pushing out to fight with my teammate when we’re not in control, causing him to spawn on me and die again. Trying too hard to spawn my teammate when I have camo instead of making my play.

Battle Creek: Not denying camo.

Some things I made sure to know before I went:

ALL of the randoms on Hang Em High

Every way to give a top spawn on Derelict

How to nade down camo on Derelict

Being comfortable nading down camo on Dammy from at least 4 different places, under pressure

How to give top spawns on Prisoner

• Upvote (+1) 2

Did you know there is a rather large H2 LAN event taking place in Las Vegas on 4/20 weekend?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did you know there is a rather large H2 LAN event taking place in Las Vegas on 4/20 weekend?

Streamed?

Shyness is probably the biggest reason I don't play with local people around me. That and my lack of skill in CE, I don't find myself terrible, but I'm not on any level near the current pros. All of my old halo friends are either married or don't like CE, so I can't take them. Hasuku and Skitzo are both nice enough to invite me when they LAN, but I just can't bring myself to go.

I usually retweet and try to hang out in chat when BeachLAN goes live though. Its at the very least something. If there are any other ways to support these events let me know.

I hope you guys realize that for most of the people who play halo 1, seeing new people express interest in the game is more than enough to want to play with you. Also, many people do not stay the entire time for beach lan. If you are not certain it will be a good time for you, consider attending for a couple of days instead. Also, make sure you ask people to turn on training mode when you play. It makes the spawn points visible, the randoms visible and gives you waypoints and audible countdowns for the powerups.

• Upvote (+1) 1