CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

This entire MCC development, release, Band-Aid fixes, and fix is pretty unprecedented in the gaming world, right? I can't think of another game that was released busted to that extent, and then (hopefully) fixed completely. Battlefield 4 was bad, but it didn't span 4 years.

This seems like a huge deal, and talking about fixes to the actual games now would seem pretty hasty. I'm thrilled that they picked it back up after so long and are righting the wrong.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I have no idea what to expect for h1 or who Sean is. Can anyone shed some light onto this? There's a rather dedicated team who has made serious progress on getting Halo PC to function as closely to Halo console as possible. That would be ideal for me but I just assume custom edition is another form of halo pc?

I have no idea what to expect for h1 or who Sean is. Can anyone shed some light onto this? There's a rather dedicated team who has made serious progress on getting Halo PC to function as closely to Halo console as possible. That would be ideal for me but I just assume custom edition is another form of halo pc?

Sean Connery?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Apparently he is kornman00, a modder who has been active in Halo PC scene for years. Halo Custom Edition is another version of Halo PC that allows for more modification than vanilla. In the Discord he mentioned that they are aware of and are not ignoring halobugs.com, so that's nice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

There's literally a link in the article which redirects to a Community Update with an interview with Sean Cooper, lol, here

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been #weback'd too many times to be optimistic that this update will make everything right and not screw up some other aspect of MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Wow these updates are hyping me up...seems like they plan on working on MCC for years in the future, which begs the question of, if they are going full "modern halo" for Halo 6...

• Upvote (+1) 3

Why were they so vague about the emblems? That seems like the easiest thing to fix besides no JiP for customs. 

Also removing voting would be good, but H3 kids will still quit when Halo 2 or CE comes up.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Why were they so vague about the emblems? That seems like the easiest thing to fix besides no JiP for customs. 

Also removing voting would be good, but H3 kids will still quit when Halo 2 or CE comes up.

They stated in the update that they plan to eliminate multi-game playlists.  All playlists will be for a single game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Did you read the blog post? Multi-game lists are going away.

There is little or no difference from the regular PC edition to the Custom Edition. Having played both extensively back in the day, I am struggling to see what they might be referring to. The big (and I thought only) difference between the two was that the Custom Edition came with a map editor, and thus was moddable.

One possibility is that they are referring not to improvements made in the initial release of the Custom Edition, but improvements that the community has made to hitreg etc using the mod tools. But that doesn't seem too likely, as I would imagine that with access to the source code there are better ways to improve things.

There's no difference that would effect the MCC, short of literally adding custom map support, which they wouldn't and can't do for a number of reasons. I think its weird of them to sidestep their own QA question, but...

They are indeed most likely referring to netcode mods (akin to "nolead" and whatever stunt_man uses), and possibly certain aspects of Chimera/hac.Just for clarification, mods like chimera, hac, nolead, etc are dll's that hook into the executable, and have little to do with the official mod tools. Even with access to the source code, mods like that will be might be a good starting point.

“A model that is very interesting to me is how Halo CE: PC and Halo 2 Vista work. It requires us to re-think the social experience - It’s more of a ‘drift in, drift out’ model, people just kind of come and go and it’s a constantly rotating game

Greg Hermann analyzing the social experience provided by a community server amuses me for some reason.

WILL HALO 3: ODST FIREFIGHT AND/OR HALO: REACH BE ADDED TO MCC?

We’ve heard loud and clear that this is at the top of requests when it comes to new future features for MCC. This is outside the scope of this current update but is something the team will continue to assess and evaluate for future feasibility.

I wonder what the limiting factor is on adding Halo 3: ODST Firefight. The Firefight maps themselves are essentially just campaign maps, which have already been shipped. UI work? Firefight parties/matchmaking?

• Upvote (+1) 1

They should, even if it takes another year, create a MM system where you can create MM preset options for yourself by checking off all of the acceptable gametype combinations you're willing to play and then off it goes matching you into a lobby that fits the criteria. Make these presets shareable and have the current top presets for the month be default options where MM hoppers currently sit. Its the only thing that really makes sense with a game like MCC with hundreds of options and totally different games. They can't create hoppers that cater to that many different wants because you'd end up with, like, 45 different playlists to get to almost everyone

• Upvote (+1) 5

They stated in the update that they plan to eliminate multi-game playlists.  All playlists will be for a single game.

Like how will that even work is the population even there for that. if i am understanding this correctly, i will be able to pick halo 3 and have the playlist options of Doubles, btb, snipers ETC... I feel like that will lead to a lot of dead playlist.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Like how will that even work is the population even there for that. if i am understanding this correctly, i will be able to pick halo 3 and have the playlist options of Doubles, btb, snipers ETC... I feel like that will lead to a lot of dead playlist.

I don't know.  I was just repeating what they've said.  I would imagine they're expecting the population to rise again, once the update is released to everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Quality of life features that I hope they add to H1 is a scoreboard and timer to the HUD.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Quality of life features that I hope they add to H1 is a scoreboard and timer to the HUD.

Post this on their MCC forums threads in Waypoint.

• Upvote (+1) 1

mate.

I got 4v4 games of halo 3 skirmish in fucking 2013. There's definitely a population for it.

Also consider this. How many people don't play because of quitters / they can't get the game they want? Now that they can get the game they want, they will come back to halo. And since there are less quitters, you are actually getting in more games/h in since games will be shorter. Plus ofc. no quitters makes people play more.

search times for btb for me are in the 20minute range already if I want to play ce/2 (i have to play with a party to vote for them which slows down MM a ton). You only need 8 other people in the biggest playlist! The longest wait time should be how ever long the last btb game takes. say 20 ppl queue up, 16 match, the last 4 are given priority, then when the game ends and they search again, you now have a full game again in less than 20minutes. h3 btb will 100% be fine, and now instead of playing CE btb once every 2hours, I could play ce btb once every 20minutes, at worst. + again, no quitters so the games will be more fun

• Upvote (+1) 5

How things seem and how they actually are aren't often similar in software development.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Timer on screen would be pretty cool. Way better than looking at a phone...and I would be able to stop burning the H1 timer in my S7 screen...

• Upvote (+1) 4

Timer on screen would be pretty cool. Way better than looking at a phone...and I would be able to stop burning the H1 timer in my S7 screen...

I just want it to have Zyos's voice, and have it yell at you if you screw up.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I just want it to have Zyos's voice, and have it yell at you if you screw up.

GET YOUR TEAM TOGETHER WALSHY, FOCUS!!!!!

But back on topic, all of this MCC/H1 talk sounds promising, I wonder how long it will be before we actually get to test it?

• Upvote (+1) 4

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-2

another great fucking read

• custom game browser is happening, will be more "robust" than Halo 5
  • Plans to add JIP to custom games
  • Plenty of plans to change the UI
  • No new achievements, looking into fixing surrounding issues making current achievements annoying to unlock
  • PLANS TO ADD OFFLINE LAN SUPPORT
  • Future MCC updates are planned. 
  • Sean Cooper from the Halo Custom Edition community has incorporated numerous changes from CE into the Halo 1 build in MCC
  • Plans to tweak emblems (huge for Halo 2)
  • No announcement on PC release

PC release would make my balls explode. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

This entire MCC development, release, Band-Aid fixes, and fix is pretty unprecedented in the gaming world, right? I can't think of another game that was released busted to that extent, and then (hopefully) fixed completely. Battlefield 4 was bad, but it didn't span 4 years.

This seems like a huge deal, and talking about fixes to the actual games now would seem pretty hasty. I'm thrilled that they picked it back up after so long and are righting the wrong.

It's absolutely unprecedented. I'm 99% sure Microsoft sent in experts to assist in fixing it before the Xbox X solution. Think about that: Microsoft and 343 combined couldn't figure out to fix it in a cost prohibitive manner. MCC is easily the most broken triple AAA launch ever. 343 had no idea how to fix it until Microsoft's work with the Xbox X by chance happened to uncover something that apparently helped.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Anybody got the settings for all the classic H2 custom games? 'Bout to time to start busting 'em out. Really want the proper Hide and Seek settings.

GET YOUR TEAM TOGETHER WALSHY, FOCUS!!!!!

But back on topic, all of this MCC/H1 talk sounds promising, I wonder how long it will be before we actually get to test it?

"We're not gonna win if you keep CHOKING like that!'

• Upvote (+1) 1