CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

"PC has no games" is almost as stupid as "The human eye can't see more than 24fps".  Almost.

There are a countless amount of indie games on PC and only a very tiny portion of those ever get ported to console.  The console indie scene is a complete farce in comparison.  Listing them all would be damn near impossible, there are probably ones being made and spread around right as I type this.

Meanwhile, most AAA games are multiplatform these days. The vast majority of games you play can be found on PC.  The only real exceptions are Nintendo games and imported games from Japan on the PS4.  I highly doubt you're that into either, and PC has it's own exclusive AAA games as well. Even if you want to assume consoles have the lead in this area though it's still nowhere near makes up for the above point about indie games.

And of course you contradict yourself earlier.  Implying we can't use decade old PC games as an example, but then also imply you're counting Xbox 360 games because you don't own an Xbox One.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I can run my games at 1440p+ @ 144+Hz w/ gsync on my PC. PC gaming is objectively better. Like the act of actually playing is better, not even talking about the control scheme, options, or whatever. My games have literally higher detail visuals and richer sound than anything I'd get on console.

Are consoles easier? Sure, but one is definitely better than the other.

Graphics =/= gameplay value. I have a PC that can play 1440p @ 144hz as well. If you're comparing the same game.. Sure, you can say it's "better." But in an overall scope, that equivalency doesn't exist. 

For example:

NBA 2K18

Better on consoles. Why? More active population which allows for more community driven events and online features. Less issues with the 2K/Steam server syncs.

"But my graphics are better, therefore the game is objectively better!" -- Which in this case.. Wrong, for the reasons I just listed.

Pretty much all Fighting Games

Fighting games also struggle with this population issue. Look at all anime fighters like Guilty Gear and the new Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Population -- Died in a two weeks I'm sure. The majority of the population is on PS4, why? When you're on PC sometimes you get frame drops and when you're playing fighting games -- games that REQUIRE you to know frame data having frame drops is counter-intuitive to gameplay.

Please stop saying things are "objectively" better when you can't quantitatively equate the two. Yes, we alllllll get it. PC graphics are better. I know because I have a PC that can do the same thing. However, we're not superior for having this platform to play on.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Graphics =/= gameplay value. I have a PC that can play 1440p @ 144hz as well. If you're comparing the same game.. Sure, you can say it's "better." But in an overall scope, that equivalency doesn't exist. 

For example:

NBA 2K18

Better on consoles. Why? More active population which allows for more community driven events and online features. Less issues with the 2K/Steam server syncs.

"But my graphics are better, therefore the game is objectively better!" -- Which in this case.. Wrong, for the reasons I just listed.

Pretty much all Fighting Games

Fighting games also struggle with this population issue. Look at all anime fighters like Guilty Gear and the new Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Population -- Died in a two weeks I'm sure. The majority of the population is on PS4, why? When you're on PC sometimes you get frame drops and when you're playing fighting games -- games that REQUIRE you to know frame data having frame drops is counter-intuitive to gameplay.

Please stop saying things are "objectively" better when you can't quantitatively equate the two. Yes, we alllllll get it. PC graphics are better. I know because I have a PC that can do the same thing. However, we're not superior for having this platform to play on.

Sounds like you just picked games that tend to get really shitty PC ports. Is it really a surprise when population dies off because of a bad port?  These games you mentioned are not shitty because they're on PC, they're shitty because the low tier devs doing ports are shitty.  I'm certain I would prefer any fighting game on PC if it had a good port and meant I could play it at a higher res and faster refresh rate. No brainer. 

On a serious note, when it comes to fighting games, PC has the following game, what else could it possibly need?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Sounds like you just picked games that tend to get really shitty PC ports. Is it really a surprise when population dies off because of a bad port? These games you mentioned are not shitty because they're on PC, they're shitty because the low tier devs doing ports are shitty. I'm certain I would prefer any fighting game on PC if it had a good port and meant I could play it at a higher res and faster refresh rate. No brainer.

On a serious note, when it comes to fighting games, PC has the following game, what else could it possibly need?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQRuWJT0MLI&t=20s

So now we’re being selective in the games that we judge? If the platform is “objectively” better then it shouldn’t matter which games I’m choosing to elaborate on. This just goes to show you how weak this “PC > __” argument is.

The games I’m referring to aren’t ports, they were natively released when the game came out. The population died because of the reasons I listed. I specifically named those two games because they weren’t ports.

• Upvote (+1) 3

You still haven't prove me wrong

:laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing:

If all the reasons put forth aren't proof, you're lost

"PC has no games" is almost as stupid as "The human eye can't see more than 24fps".  Almost.

There are a countless amount of indie games on PC and only a very tiny portion of those ever get ported to console.  The console indie scene is a complete farce in comparison.  Listing them all would be damn near impossible, there are probably ones being made and spread around right as I type this.

Meanwhile, most AAA games are multiplatform these days. The vast majority of games you play can be found on PC.  The only real exceptions are Nintendo games and imported games from Japan on the PS4.  I highly doubt you're that into either, and PC has it's own exclusive AAA games as well. Even if you want to assume consoles have the lead in this area though it's still nowhere near makes up for the above point about indie games.

And of course you contradict yourself earlier.  Implying we can't use decade old PC games as an example, but then also imply you're counting Xbox 360 games because you don't own an Xbox One.

ok have fun playing your indie garbage while I play real games :laughing:

• Downvote (-1) 7

Lets not forget about mods too.  Thats only an option for like 2 console games?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets not forget about mods too.  Thats only an option for like 2 console games?

Pretty much every console before the current gen has been blown wide open.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Pretty much every console before the current gen has been blown wide open.

Yeah true but that brings up the "barrier to entry" argument again.  PC mods are easier to implement and there are still way more for more games.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah true but that brings up the "barrier to entry" argument again.  PC mods are easier to implement and there are still way more for more games.

Modding in general is almost always going to be done by enthusiasts and pirates. The rise of matchmaking and DLC has killed off mods anyway; devs want total control over their games.

So now we’re being selective in the games that we judge? If the platform is “objectively” better then it shouldn’t matter which games I’m choosing to elaborate on. This just goes to show you how weak this “PC > __” argument is.

The games I’m referring to aren’t ports, they were natively released when the game came out. The population died because of the reasons I listed. I specifically named those two games because they weren’t ports.

Maybe instead of 'objectively', the phrase 'as a whole' works better. The reason I chose to 'objectively' to qualify it as better is because it is not my personal feelings or opinions that makes it better. If you write down all the pros and cons of various consoles and PC, PC will come out with far more pros than the others and far less cons than the others.  Especially when you average the most important desired qualities from the gaming community.  Can you take small niche populations to make it look like there are less pros and more cons for PC. Sure. You can always take small sample situations to try and skew the results.  But if you look at the big picture 'as a whole' and on average, PC has the most desirable traits and fewer undesirable traits. 

PC                                                                                                                  Consoles

Pro                                            Cons                                                  Pros                                                       Cons

Resolution                            Price                                                    Price                                                      Frame-rate Caps

Frame-rate                           Ease of use                                         Ease of use                                           Less high Res games

Keyboard/Mouse                  Learning curve                                    Learning curve                                      Weak modding support

Audio                                    Bad ports                                            Exclusives                                              Keyboard and mouse Support

Modding                                Living Room Couch Play                    Living Room couch play                         No multi monitor  

Hardware Customization                                                                  Mobility(some)                                        No 21:9

web browsing                                                                                                                                                 No Web browsing

Indie Library                                                                                                                                                    Smaller indie library

Biggest eSports Scene                                                                                                                                   Less eSports

emulators                                                                                                                                                       No 'unofficial' emulation

Multi monitor support                                                                                                                                     Less Modding support

21:9                                                                                                                                                               Can't upgrade

Upgradeability                                                                                                                                                Less productive

Versatility                                                                                                                                                        Smaller free to play

Productivity/Multi tasking                                                                                                                               VR support and library 

Flexability                                                                                                                                                       Less games overall

Free to play library                                                                                                                                         Less sales

VR support                                                                                                                                                     Bad ports

Steam Family Share                                                                                                                 

More games                                                                                                                             

Cheaper Games                                                                                                                      

More sales

Better streaming platform

More COTS HW 

Gsync/Freesync

Feel free to edit the list.  I tried to take my personal bias out as much as possible in an effort to be 'objective.'  I also have had most consoles except the PS4 and Switch so I am biased from a well rounded experience.     

Edit.  Sorry in advance, this will probably look terrible on mobile or perhaps from a console browser.  Be sure to look at it on a PC  :simms:                                                                                                                     

• Upvote (+1) 5

But can console do this?

Stream games over a network? Probably not, but I can run a bunch of emulators on my softmodded Wii.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Stream games over a network? Probably not, but I can run a bunch of emulators on my softmodded Wii.

PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, WiiU, Dreamcast, Gamecube, NES, SNES, N64, DS, and 3DS? Cause guess what can emulate all of those consoles? :cool:

• Upvote (+1) 3

PS1, PS2, PS3, Wii, WiiU, Dreamcast, Gamecube, NES, SNES, N64, DS, and 3DS? Cause guess what can emulate all of those consoles? :cool:

Citra works now?

Switch is supposedly out, i’d guess it’s pretty early in the alpha

They finally got PS3 emulation working? 

Switch is supposedly out, i’d guess it’s pretty early in the alpha

"Early" in that it doesn't actually run any games.

They finally got PS3 emulation working? 

Yup. Like all emulators, it's not perfect.

"Early" in that it doesn't actually run any games.

I've seen BoTW running on a Switch emulator. So that's a start.

Yup. Like all emulators, it's not perfect.

I've seen BoTW running on a Switch emulator. So that's a start.

Breath of the Wild was on Wii U.

snip                          

Xbox and PS4 both have family sharing.

Bad Ports could also be placed under consoles (see PUBG even though its getting better)

I don't really see the point of pulling Web Browsing out specifically. Does it have something special in terms to you playing games? I'd just say that PC's can do a lot more than game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Xbox and PS4 both have family sharing.

Bad Ports could also be placed under consoles (see PUBG even though its getting better)

I don't really see the point of pulling Web Browsing out specifically. Does it have something special in terms to you playing games? I'd just say that PC's can do a lot more than game.

Fair enough.  I just really enjoy alt tabbing out between games and browsing dank memes.  Feels like I get more out of my time when I use my PC over all my other consoles. 

• Upvote (+1) 2