CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Some people just don't want to spend a thousand dollars to play early access games and shitty free to play ones, it is that simple.

To be fair that's all that major console games have been these last few years
  • Upvote (+1) 9

To be fair that's all that major console games have been these last few years

ayyyyyyyyyyyy

Some people just don't want to spend a thousand dollars to play early access games and shitty free to play ones, it is that simple.

Thousands of dollars? lmfao. Have you ever actually seen a PC?

• Upvote (+1) 6

I don't think speed is exactly what he is referring to in his post. Origin, Battle.net, Epic Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, GOG, Uplay, Steam, Discord, OBS (if you stream), all things I've got to sit down, download, link the games to steam, then I can sit down and start downloading the games. That is if we are running everything through steam and some of the downloads depend on what you want to play. With a console all I have to do is set up my information and I'm off.

This is probably a horrible analogy, but I like to think of it how people are with cars. Some people don't care about changing their oil, they don't want to do it, they don't really care about saving money, they just want it done and not have to think about it. You can literally YouTube just about anything on how to swap something out in your car (I just did my own brake pads a couple months back for the first time) and save a ton of money, but a lot of people just don't want to deal with it. They just want whats easiest.

The accessibility argument here is just contrived bullshit.  It's desperately grasping at straws to find anything positive to say about consoles.

It blows my mind people think this is somehow an upside of consoles.  It's such a miniscule inconvenience that it's irrelevant. It takes a single hour maximum to download and install all of those programs...and then once it's done you never have to worry about them ever again aside from automatic updates. You would have to be extremely impatient and lazy to not be willing to put up with that.  I have almost every single thing you listed installed and it never bothered me one bit.  Linking games definitely isn't some arduous task either, it's literally four mouse clicks.  Games, Add Non-Steam Game, Checkbox, click Okay.  Maybe four more if you actually have to browse for the game's location.  Imagine giving up on PC altogether and all of it's numerous upsides just because you're unwilling to spend an hour of your time.

Your analogy is flawed because being a mechanic is actually time-consuming and tedious to the point it's justifiable to pay someone else to do it.  Downloading and installing Discord is mostly automated and takes all of five minutes.  Dude I would be overjoyed if I could get paid mechanic wages just to sit in someone's desk chair and do basically nothing.

And you know...it could still be argued that PC's are *more* convenient anyways in spite of all that.  Because once that is all setup I can now do anything I want on the same machine.  I can play a game, open overlay to write an email or put on background music, then close out of the game and immediately begin my college or professional work without ever having to leave my seat.  Consoles can't do all of that and they can't do it anywhere near as easily either unless you own a keypad attachment for your controller.

That's pretty much another crux of the situation. PC's aren't cheaper to build right now. GPU's are selling like hot cakes, I sold my 390 for $320 on ebay. I bought it for $265. I think the X1X is like $700+ to replicate, the X1S is currently selling for $200, its pretty hard to beat that price. However, there are two situations, a PC would crush X1S even with a minimal build you'd just pay more upfront, and if you were adding to an existing PC that was sitting around the house it would be a lot more justifiable.

Unfortunately true, though it WAS possible to build an Xbox One X equivalent PC for $550-$650 before these prices skyrocketed.   Yet even in this market the myth of the "$1000 PC" is still nonsense.  We finally killed off the 30fps myth yet that one still stubbornly remains for some reason.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Thousands of dollars? lmfao. Have you ever actually seen a PC?

Crypto currency made PC components much more expensive.

In terms of ease-of-use/convenience/bang-for-the-buck, the BEST console will always beat the best PC. The comparisons being put forth here are improper because Xbox One is a BAD console.

Let's go back to 2006. TES: Oblivion was a launch window title for Xbox 360. Aside from resolution/mods/command console, it had everything the PC version did, felt great on controller, and didn't need an install or driver update.

Then Halo 3 in 2007. The online infrastructure was incredibly streamlined. Pop the disc in, make an account, plug in a headset, and everything but a custom game browser was a button press or two away.

Even with modern Steam games, I've never had a gaming experience on PC that didn't require some kind of extra OS, HUD, driver, or account hoop to jump through to get an experience similar to GOOD console.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The accessibility argument here is just contrived bullshit.  It's desperately grasping at straws to find anything positive to say about consoles.

It blows my mind people think this is somehow an upside of consoles.  It's such a miniscule inconvenience that it's irrelevant. It takes a single hour maximum to download and install all of those programs...and then once it's done you never have to worry about them ever again aside from automatic updates. You would have to be extremely impatient and lazy to not be willing to put up with that.  I have almost every single thing you listed installed and it never bothered me one bit.  Linking games definitely isn't some arduous task either, it's literally four mouse clicks.  Games, Add Non-Steam Game, Checkbox, click Okay.  Maybe four more if you actually have to browse for the game's location.  Imagine giving up on PC altogether and all of it's numerous upsides just because you're unwilling to spend an hour of your time.

Your analogy is flawed because being a mechanic is actually time-consuming and tedious to the point it's justifiable to pay someone else to do it.  Downloading and installing Discord is mostly automated and takes all of five minutes.  Dude I would be overjoyed if I could get paid mechanic wages just to sit in someone's desk chair and do basically nothing.

And you know...it could still be argued that PC's are *more* convenient anyways in spite of all that.  Because once that is all setup I can now do anything I want on the same machine.  I can play a game, open overlay to write an email or put on background music, then close out of the game and immediately begin my college or professional work without ever having to leave my seat.  Consoles can't do all of that and they can't do it anywhere near as easily either unless you own a keypad attachment for your controller.

Unfortunately true, though it WAS possible to build an Xbox One X equivalent PC for $550-$650 before these prices skyrocketed.   Yet even in this market the myth of the "$1000 PC" is still nonsense. We finally killed off the 30fps myth yet that one still stubbornly remains for some reason.

You aren't arguing against the "ease of use" arguments that are being made tho...

The arguments are:

1) Physical hardware is easier to obtain

2) Physical setup of said hardware is easier

3) Maintenance of hardware and software is easier 

4) Compatibility of games is guaranteed

5) Ecosystem is considerably more streamlined

All of these things are true. And they are not contrived.

I seriously think that most PC gamers have these blinders on and honestly have no idea just how technologically incompetent the vast majority of people are.  The analogy that was used earlier is apt.  Despite the fact that everybody has a car and we use them and are around them all the time, most people are incapable/unwilling to deal with even the tiniest issue. The same is true of PCs.  The barrier to entry to having a decent gaming machine are not significantly higher than console game, but they are higher.

• Upvote (+1) 4

In terms of ease-of-use/convenience/bang-for-the-buck, the BEST console will always beat the best PC. The comparisons being put forth here are improper because Xbox One is a BAD console.

Let's go back to 2006. TES: Oblivion was a launch window title for Xbox 360. Aside from resolution/mods/command console, it had everything the PC version did, felt great on controller, and didn't need an install or driver update.

Then Halo 3 in 2007. The online infrastructure was incredibly streamlined. Pop the disc in, make an account, plug in a headset, and everything but a custom game browser was a button press or two away.

Even with modern Steam games, I've never had a gaming experience on PC that didn't require some kind of extra OS, HUD, driver, or account hoop to jump through to get an experience similar to GOOD console.

Yeah, the last time I tried to play Skyrim on my PC I had to install the Oblivion Operating System, the 40gb Morrowind Extra HUD Elements™ expansion, and had to go buy a new $3k graphics card thingy-majig. What a total nightmare.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So I was traveling through the market sector in Colombia on business and I noticed one of the locals was selling all these pillows at his stand.  They were soaking wet.  Like piles of them.  I asked why he was selling them and he said that they were from local halo players that cry themselves to sleep because despite getting host 95% of the time in h1 and it taking 10 shots to down them, they are getting destroyed and can't win a game. 

Which one of you bullies are still playing MCC and taking away their joy like this LOL?  Someone is being a meanie!  Come on now.. time to fess up!    :kappa:  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, the last time I tried to play Skyrim on my PC I had to install the Oblivion Operating System, the 40gb Morrowind Extra HUD Elements™ expansion, and had to go buy a new $3k graphics card thingy-majig. What a total nightmare.

Every time I go to play Skyrim I have to download more RAM to put it on. I don't understand why they don't just package the RAM with the game?

You aren't arguing against the "ease of use" arguments that are being made tho...

The arguments are:

1) Physical hardware is easier to obtain

2) Physical setup of said hardware is easier

3) Maintenance of hardware and software is easier 

4) Compatibility of games is guaranteed

5) Ecosystem is considerably more streamlined

All of these things are true. And they are not contrived.

I seriously think that most PC gamers have these blinders on and honestly have no idea just how technologically incompetent the vast majority of people are.  The analogy that was used earlier is apt.  Despite the fact that everybody has a car and we use them and are around them all the time, most people are incapable/unwilling to deal with even the tiniest issue. The same is true of PCs.  The barrier to entry to having a decent gaming machine are not significantly higher than console game, but they are higher.

This is what people are missing. That, and the use of consoles as common social tools/experiences (similar to what the phone markets have become). Social convention isn't concerned with the relative cost/performance of PC's vs Consoles, nor should it. I could just as easily stumble upon a car forum where there's heated discussion something I don't spend much of my life thinking about, like what car I drive. People could swear up and down that a different car in the same automotive class is "better" than the car I drive, better features and slightly more efficient, but quite frankly, I'm fine with the status quo. Maybe once I need a new car, maybe I'll heed their advice, maybe I won't if its inconvenient. For something far more trivial than what car you drive, like what gaming machine you own, I can't blame most people for not caring and just wanting something convenient and easy, with few exceptions.

Downloading and installing Discord is mostly automated and takes all of five minutes

A big demographic for consoles are people who do not have the knowledge to install a computer program. That is not an exaggeration. Every mole hill a technologically literate person encounters is a mountain to those who are not.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Every time I go to play Skyrim I have to download more RAM to put it on. I don't understand why they don't just package the RAM with the game?

This is what people are missing. That, and the use of consoles as common social tools/experiences (similar to what the phone markets have become). Social convention isn't concerned with the relative cost/performance of PC's vs Consoles.

A big demographic for consoles are people who do not have the knowledge to install a computer program. That is not an exaggeration. Every mole hill a technologically literate person encounters is a mountain to those who are not.

If someone can pair a wireless Xbox controller to their console they should be able to install a simple program.

PC gaming is becoming more and more simple, that is a fact.

Console gaming is becoming more and more difficult, also a fact.

Yes, consoles are still more simple than PCs, but come on people, you can't really function is the modern world without knowing basic computer skills. I work in IT, so I know there are some beyond clueless people out there, but anyone under the age of 45 should know how to do simple computer tasks.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If someone can pair a wireless Xbox controller to their console they should be able to install a simple program.

Once you have the install wizard in their face, sure. Finding the program to download is a little more taxing. The uncertainty of getting to that step is the biggest obstacle.

PC gaming is becoming more and more simple, that is a fact.

Console gaming is becoming more and more difficult, also a fact.

I completely agree. I think console manufacturers are making a big mistake defuncting "tray and play", LAN-functionality, and making their UI's abhorrently complicated. I'm primarily a PC gamer.

Yes, consoles are still more simple than PCs, but come on people, you can't really function is the modern world without knowing basic computer skills. I work in IT, so I know there are some beyond clueless people out there, but anyone under the age of 45 should know how to do simple computer tasks.

I guess its a regional thing. I grew up in the southern portion of the United States. Children there are probably more technologically inclined than they were, but most of the 20 somethings I knew couldn't make a new folder on their desktop to save their life.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Walk into this thread and there are still people doubting PC gaming? Lmfao.

The fucking nooblords think you have to spend thousands to get amazing specs.

Btw how's playerunknowns battlegrounds running on console? You guys get past the Microsoft PowerPoint frame rate yet with ps1 graphics?

I can run essentially everything I want on better than console settings for $700. It's only $700 cause I have a laptop so it's a little more. Nothing wrong to like console, but to say PC isn't better is just wrong lol

• Upvote (+1) 2

The first lick I hear of anything like this and I'm not even going to make sure to buy H6 off of eBay, I'm deliberately not going to play it at all. 

I would want to find a way to pirate it on PC for campaign only if it still has Sprint and armor abilities.

I built a beasty PC last year, but I still prefer my XB1 most of the time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't touched it in like 8 months or so and don't really have a desire to get on it again. Even some OG guys that are usually on seem to be playing other stuff like PubG and Fortnite.

It's LAN or nothing for me now. Sure MCC is filled with bugs and issues but I've made a big deal over splitscreen before and it's also a large reason I don't want to play.

Hopefully they "Fix" CE in MCC with the MCC update they are evidently working on. What is the next best option for playing CE nowadays? I haven't been able to play much recently but I kinda wanna start playing again. 

I gotta say though: 

It's such a shame because I still think Microsoft is sitting on a gold mine if they realized what they had with CE multiplayer. When it is properly explained (I've thought about how the Internet wasn't nearly as much of a thing when CE was released, so many players didn't really understand how to play it competitively), I've never seen a game that is such a perfect mix of easy to pick up and play, and yet impossible to master. 

It's 2018 and I'm watching a Melee match on twitch with 50k+ viewers right now. Newer does not equal better when it comes to gameplay and what makes a game competitive and fun to play. I mean you could clone CE with minor changes and added utility to the weapons (Maybe a "skin" shop like Fortnite as well) and I am convinced you would have a hit game. 

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I haven't posted on here in a while and the way 343 and M$ have handled this franchise the last couple of years absolutely baffles me. I would bet a lot of money that H6 is going to be an Overwatch Clone (with a Battle Royale Mode). All they think about is what "trends" they need to emulate in order to make the most money in the least amount of time. I don't get it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

PC > Console. But Consoles are fine. They offer an accessible experience. 

it is interesting how different games are between PC and Console. Rainbow 6 Siege is a good example. PC gameplay is nuts. Console gameplay can be quite slow due to the lack of aim assist on a controller making it harder to aim. (Siege doesn't have any aim assist and is still Top 5 on the most played list. Gamers don't need their hands held at every corner to be fun.)

Hopefully they "Fix" CE in MCC with the MCC update they are evidently working on. What is the next best option for playing CE nowadays? I haven't been able to play much recently but I kinda wanna start playing again.

I gotta say though:

It's such a shame because I still think Microsoft is sitting on a gold mine if they realized what they had with CE multiplayer. When it is properly explained (I've thought about how the Internet wasn't nearly as much of a thing when CE was released, so many players didn't really understand how to play it competitively), I've never seen a game that is such a perfect mix of easy to pick up and play, and yet impossible to master.

It's 2018 and I'm watching a Melee match on twitch with 50k+ viewers right now. Newer does not equal better when it comes to gameplay and what makes a game competitive and fun to play. I mean you could clone CE with minor changes and added utility to the weapons (Maybe a "skin" shop like Fortnite as well) and I am convinced you would have a hit game.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I haven't posted on here in a while and the way 343 and M$ have handled this franchise the last couple of years absolutely baffles me. I would bet a lot of money that H6 is going to be an Overwatch Clone (with a Battle Royale Mode). All they think about is what "trends" they need to emulate in order to make the most money in the least amount of time. I don't get it.

I personally have had a more enjoyable experience playing Halo 1 NHEv7/vanilla NTSC disc version of Halo 1 on XLAN and playing Halo Custom Edition on stunt_man’s GMYF public servers/GMYF test servers than I’ve ever had playing Halo 1 on MCC.

If you’re interested in playing on XLAN or playing on the GMYF servers then I highly recommend for you to join the Halo 1 Hub discord because that’s the discord that we use to organize our games. Here’s an invite link to the Halo 1 Hub discord.

https://discordapp.com/invite/PASbNqB

As for the upcoming spring update for MCC I’m not going to get my hopes up. I highly doubt that 343 will be able to bring Halo 1 on the MCC up to the quality standard that I desire it to be at. I will try out MCC once the new update comes out and provide some feedback but I will most likely end up sticking with playing on XLAN and the GMYF servers.

• Upvote (+1) 1

PC is not better than console.

Console is not better than PC.

It's all about the preference of the individual. I fail to see how anybody can't concede this point unless you're just being difficult on purpose.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1