CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

If only there was someone on this forum to tell us how lazy and stupid we are for preferring console.

Fear not, friend, for I am here.  :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 9

And play against other people using kbm while I use a controller?

Split screen with friends?

There's a lot of genre's that are better off on console as well. Primarily racing and fighting games, neither of which I care for, but they exist for a reason.

Not to mention the lack of a true single voice chat system, granted at this point most people use discord but that's still not as intuitive as a baked in OS like Xbox or Playstation. PC gaming is good for somethings but I don't think it's ever going to eradicate consoles. There's too much convenience in an all in 1 box for most people to invest in a gaming pc.

Ramirez countered a lot of this, but I also had to laugh at split screen with friends. How many games even offer that anymore? Shit look at Halo. And many of the ones that do, they are offered on PC as well, like Rocket League.

I get the fps multiplayer controller vs kbm point. I can compete just fine on games like Fortnite, Overwatch and Halo with a controller though, and most other shooter franchises that aren't pc exclusive just suck now.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ramirez countered a lot of this, but I also had to laugh at split screen with friends. How many games even offer that anymore? Shit look at Halo. And many of the ones that do, they are offered on PC as well, like Rocket League.

I get the fps multiplayer controller vs kbm point. I can compete just fine on games like Fortnite, Overwatch and Halo with a controller though, and most other shooter franchises that aren't pc exclusive just suck now.

I didn't spend $1000+ on my PC to use it exclusively for gaming. I use it for everything you normally would buy a computer for. Gaming, web browsing, school, editing.

Its not ideal for me to get my PC out to my couch without the use of something like steam link. So my options are

1. Deal with latency from the Steam Link

2. Drag my PC out to my TV every time I want to couch game for a weekend

3. Buy a console

Not only that but I don't even have a bluray drive in my PC, my xbox doubles as my 4k player. As far as I can even tell there is only one 4K drive even available (just a quick newegg/amazon search) and its over $100.

Also, yes people still do use split screen. For years my nephew's mom wouldn't let him get an Xbox, so when he would come over the weekend or just any random day we would find games to play together. Halo being one of them for a really long time. My last relationship before it ended we did the same thing. Find a co-op game to play together and sit down and play it. Split screen is definitely becoming less and less prominent due to the expansion of the internet, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

EDIT: I will admit that playing multiconsole games on PC at a higher framerate and better graphical fidelity is heavenly.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Let's talk about the fact that you can unplug an Xbox and throw it in your backpack with ease, plug it in at a friend's house and run some games. Probably did that half a dozen times this last winter alone with so many of my friends back in town for the holidays. It's moments like those that will guarantee consoles will always exist.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Let's talk about the fact that you can unplug an Xbox and throw it in your backpack with ease, plug it in at a friend's house and run some games. Probably did that half a dozen times this last winter alone with so many of my friends back in town for the holidays. It's moments like those that will guarantee consoles will always exist.

You can literally do this with PCs. There is literally no difference if you're using a controller.

I didn't spend $1000+ on my PC to use it exclusively for gaming. I use it for everything you normally would buy a computer for. Gaming, web browsing, school, editing.

Its not ideal for me to get my PC out to my couch without the use of something like steam link. So my options are

1. Deal with latency from the Steam Link

2. Drag my PC out to my TV every time I want to couch game for a weekend

3. Buy a console

Not only that but I don't even have a bluray drive in my PC, my xbox doubles as my 4k player. As far as I can even tell there is only one 4K drive even available (just a quick newegg/amazon search) and its over $100.

Also, yes people still do use split screen. For years my nephew's mom wouldn't let him get an Xbox, so when he would come over the weekend or just any random day we would find games to play together. Halo being one of them for a really long time. My last relationship before it ended we did the same thing. Find a co-op game to play together and sit down and play it. Split screen is definitely becoming less and less prominent due to the expansion of the internet, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

EDIT: I will admit that playing multiconsole games on PC at a higher framerate and better graphical fidelity is heavenly.

I didn't say people DON'T use split screen. I think it's a travesty that so many games ignore it now. Just speaking the reality that most games don't offer it these days including the previous split screen king that was Halo. And tons of pc games have split screen.

I'd personally rather build another pc for similar long term cost rather than buy an Xbox if moving it around is a concern.

Your point about the 4k player is valid for sure. I use mine for the same reason. I wouldn't have bought an Xbox to begin with if not for the lie of MCC though. Oh well

• Upvote (+1) 1

You can literally do this with PCs. There is literally no difference if you're using a controller.

I didn't say people DON'T use split screen. I think it's a travesty that so many games ignore it now. Just speaking the reality that most games don't offer it these days including the previous split screen king that was Halo. And tons of pc games have split screen.

I'd personally rather build another pc for similar long term cost rather than buy an Xbox if moving it around is a concern.

Your point about the 4k player is valid for sure. I use mine for the same reason. I wouldn't have bought an Xbox to begin with if not for the lie of MCC though. Oh well

Come on man, let's be realistic here. I think the whole pc defense betrays reality the second you step off of a competitive gaming forum and look at the average person. I don't think preferring a console makes anyone lazy or unwilling, I literally just prefer the entire ecosystem and culture around it. I'm not dumb, I built my own gaming pc, expecting to fall in love with it and I didn't. Its just way more of a hassle to do literally anything with. Consoles are nice, they're refined. They provide everyone with the same tools and common interface and still extremely streamlined compared to even the best pc experience. There's too many environments that just don't make sense for pc gaming to exist in which is why consoles will literally never disappear and there's nothing wrong with that. When I get off work and go to my friends house and wanna play 6 man split screen beach buggies on Xbox while we pound beer, that's because consoles exist. When we wanna have a halo party, it's because we can system link. When you walk into a dorm room see an Xbox and ask "what's your gt" and nothing else, it's because of the consoles eco system. The fact that I can have multiple xboxs in different rooms LIKE my garage or living room is because they're affordable and don't need a mouse
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Oh come on.  There is no different if you build a second low-profile microATX lan box sure.  Even those are generally significantly bulkier than a console.  And the money you would spend on that would give you a barely-servicable gaming machine.  Might as well just buy a console that is still smaller and belongs to a cohesive ecosystem.

The barrier to entry for having a console-sized gaming PC that fits in a backpack is sooooo much higher than just buying a console. Consoles aren't going anywhere, nor should they.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't need a backpack when you have a car. My friend used to throw his big PC with everything else in the back seat and drive over to my house so we could lan on several occasions, but I agree that consoles aren't gonna go anywhere.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't need a backpack when you have a car. My friend used to throw his big PC with everything else in the back seat and drive over to my house so we could lan on several occasions, but I agree that consoles aren't gonna go anywhere.

The thought of unplugging my pc from everything and throWing it in the car is making me uncomfortable lol

• Upvote (+1) 4

My Xbox and monitor setup is so complicated that I might as well bring my PC along. Takes me a good 30 minutes to break down and pack everything, but it's not like people LAN OG Halo often around these parts.

I spent many, many years packing up my Xbox and monitor to go play at friends houses. Shit, when we first started doing it a lot when H2 came out, I was lugging a 19in CRT around with me a couple days a week.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If only there was some way to have both a console and a PC in your house. But alas, if you had both the cosmos would implode and everything would come to ruin. It's one or the other, so we better keep debating this. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

not sure if there is a thing called highlight leftovers but these are some clips i didn't use in my most recent highlight video: 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Come on man, let's be realistic here. I think the whole pc defense betrays reality the second you step off of a competitive gaming forum and look at the average person. I don't think preferring a console makes anyone lazy or unwilling, I literally just prefer the entire ecosystem and culture around it. I'm not dumb, I built my own gaming pc, expecting to fall in love with it and I didn't. Its just way more of a hassle to do literally anything with. Consoles are nice, they're refined. They provide everyone with the same tools and common interface and still extremely streamlined compared to even the best pc experience. There's too many environments that just don't make sense for pc gaming to exist in which is why consoles will literally never disappear and there's nothing wrong with that. When I get off work and go to my friends house and wanna play 6 man split screen beach buggies on Xbox while we pound beer, that's because consoles exist. When we wanna have a halo party, it's because we can system link. When you walk into a dorm room see an Xbox and ask "what's your gt" and nothing else, it's because of the consoles eco system. The fact that I can have multiple xboxs in different rooms LIKE my garage or living room is because they're affordable and don't need a mouse

I honestly really don't get your points. PC nowadays is literally boot it instantly thanks to SSDs, Steam opens automatically, click on the game you want, and you're in again instantly thanks to the SSD. You can't get much more streamlined. And you can do this with a Steam Controller from your couch in seconds. LAN is literally the exact same as system link too lol.

Also you can build a smaller form PC. It's not like Xboxes are much smaller than PC's these days anyway. And the cords are literally the same, just HDMI and power.

When RAM and GPU prices come down PC's will be back to being more affordable as well especially when factoring the cost of Xbox live. I built a kid a computer that beats Xbox benchmarks for $300.

I honestly think the average north American and Japanese person is just not acclimated to it yet. And a lot of average people associate gaming with consoles because big brands and marketing back them up and their main purpose is for gaming, meanwhile PCs are marketed towards everyone because they can do everything so people don't just make that automatic association. Worldwide, PC is the dominant gaming platform and really isn't that far behind in North America either. Lots of kids I know are on pc now especially thanks to Minecraft and PC's being more available because parents know they need a pc for work and homework and whatnot but not necessarily a game console. So some kids take what they can get and get used to it and stick with it.

I mean shit look at all the biggest competitive games. Literally only COD and Halo are played on console, and the absolute biggest games are actually pc exclusive.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I honestly really don't get your points. PC nowadays is literally boot it instantly thanks to SSDs, Steam opens automatically, click on the game you want, and you're in again instantly thanks to the SSD. You can't get much more streamlined. And you can do this with a Steam Controller from your couch in seconds. LAN is literally the exact same as system link too lol.

Also you can build a smaller form PC. It's not like Xboxes are much smaller than PC's these days anyway. And the cords are literally the same, just HDMI and power.

When RAM and GPU prices come down PC's will be back to being more affordable as well especially when factoring the cost of Xbox live. I built a kid a computer that beats Xbox benchmarks for $300.

I honestly think the average north American and Japanese person is just not acclimated to it yet. And a lot of average people associate gaming with consoles because big brands and marketing back them up and their main purpose is for gaming, meanwhile PCs are marketed towards everyone because they can do everything so people don't just make that automatic association. Worldwide, PC is the dominant gaming platform and really isn't that far behind in North America either. Lots of kids I know are on pc now especially thanks to Minecraft and PC's being more available because parents know they need a pc for work and homework and whatnot but not necessarily a game console. So some kids take what they can get and get used to it and stick with it.

I mean shit look at all the biggest competitive games. Literally only COD and Halo are played on console, and the absolute biggest games are actually pc exclusive.

I don't think speed is exactly what he is referring to in his post. Origin, Battle.net, Epic Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, GOG, Uplay, Steam, Discord, OBS (if you stream), all things I've got to sit down, download, link the games to steam, then I can sit down and start downloading the games. That is if we are running everything through steam and some of the downloads depend on what you want to play. With a console all I have to do is set up my information and I'm off.

Controller support is pretty common now as well, but you can still find games that don't support them. It gets even worse as you get into older games. Morrowind, Oblivion, Diablo 3, Mass Effect 1-3, Half-Life. A lot of games also have partial controller support as well, requiring a KB/M at some points in the game.

I do have to download games as well but its all run through the same OS, I don't have to link anything, I don't have to tweak settings (can be a bad thing), I don't have to download anything additional outside streaming (twitch/mixer app). Even streaming is easier (arguably a bad thing), you have limited options, but that's not the point, the point is that its easy.

That's pretty much another crux of the situation. PC's aren't cheaper to build right now. GPU's are selling like hot cakes, I sold my 390 for $320 on ebay. I bought it for $265. I think the X1X is like $700+ to replicate, the X1S is currently selling for $200, its pretty hard to beat that price. However, there are two situations, a PC would crush X1S even with a minimal build you'd just pay more upfront, and if you were adding to an existing PC that was sitting around the house it would be a lot more justifiable.

This is probably a horrible analogy, but I like to think of it how people are with cars. Some people don't care about changing their oil, they don't want to do it, they don't really care about saving money, they just want it done and not have to think about it. You can literally YouTube just about anything on how to swap something out in your car (I just did my own brake pads a couple months back for the first time) and save a ton of money, but a lot of people just don't want to deal with it. They just want whats easiest.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think speed is exactly what he is referring to in his post. Origin, Battle.net, Epic Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, GOG, Uplay, Steam, Discord, OBS (if you stream), all things I've got to sit down, download, link the games to steam, then I can sit down and start downloading the games. That is if we are running everything through steam and some of the downloads depend on what you want to play. With a console all I have to do is set up my information and I'm off.

Controller support is pretty common now as well, but you can still find games that don't support them. It gets even worse as you get into older games. Morrowind, Oblivion, Diablo 3, Mass Effect 1-3, Half-Life. A lot of games also have partial controller support as well, requiring a KB/M at some points in the game.

I do have to download games as well but its all run through the same OS, I don't have to link anything, I don't have to tweak settings (can be a bad thing), I don't have to download anything additional outside streaming (twitch/mixer app). Even streaming is easier (arguably a bad thing), you have limited options, but that's not the point, the point is that its easy.

That's pretty much another crux of the situation. PC's aren't cheaper to build right now. GPU's are selling like hot cakes, I sold my 390 for $320 on ebay. I bought it for $265. I think the X1X is like $700+ to replicate, the X1S is currently selling for $200, its pretty hard to beat that price. However, there are two situations, a PC would crush X1S even with a minimal build you'd just pay more upfront, and if you were adding to an existing PC that was sitting around the house it would be a lot more justifiable.

This is probably a horrible analogy, but I like to think of it how people are with cars. Some people don't care about changing their oil, they don't want to do it, they don't really care about saving money, they just want it done and not have to think about it. You can literally YouTube just about anything on how to swap something out in your car (I just did my own brake pads a couple months back for the first time) and save a ton of money, but a lot of people just don't want to deal with it. They just want whats easiest.

I wasn't talking purely about speed but I'd definitely argue speed is a factor in defining a streamlined experience. I find the Xbox OS to be unbearably slow. And clunky actually. The menu layout and controls are unintuitive and keep changing and you have to sift through ads and crap.

You can't even play old games on a console so that point is moot.

Streaming on Xbox requires a separate app that takes forever to load each time. I'll admit initial setup is a bit easier than OBS. Is twitch going to release a PC app or what?

You list all these different stores on PC but you choose to be locked to one ecosystem on Xbox. On pc you really only need Steam and maybe Origin or battle.net to access the vast majority of games, and you get a MUCH wider selection of games and exclusives on Steam alone compared to Xbox. So if you wanted to be that lazy and lock yourself to one ecosystem then Steam would still be superior to xbox imo. But I won't totally discount your point that if you want access to all AAA new releases then yes you'll need to download more programs.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wasn't talking purely about speed but I'd definitely argue speed is a factor in defining a streamlined experience. I find the Xbox OS to be unbearably slow. And clunky actually. The menu layout and controls are unintuitive and keep changing and you have to sift through ads and crap.

You can't even play old games on a console so that point is moot.

Streaming on Xbox requires a separate app that takes forever to load each time. I'll admit initial setup is a bit easier than OBS. Is twitch going to release a PC app or what?

You list all these different stores on PC but you choose to be locked to one ecosystem on Xbox. On pc you really only need Steam and maybe Origin or battle.net to access the vast majority of games, and you get a MUCH wider selection of games and exclusives on Steam alone compared to Xbox. So if you wanted to be that lazy and lock yourself to one ecosystem then Steam would still be superior to xbox imo. But I won't totally discount your point that if you want access to all AAA new releases then yes you'll need to download more programs.

Average boot time for PS4/X1 is under 20 seconds. Average boot time for PC is what 8-10 seconds? Plus the time to boot steam, you’re talking 5 seconds difference.

Steam isn’t litered with ads, but other launchers are.

There is a limited amount of BC titles, buts it’s growing continually. Although that really wasn’t my point. Not all games are controller compatible, even some recent.

That’s pretty much the whole point of my post. It’s easier. It’s not better, it’s easier.

I never was trying to argue that being locked into a single ecosystem is a good thing. There is pros/cons to both sides. I’m just trying to show you why someone would buy a console over a PC. Right now, it’s cheaper, it’s easier, and for me personally it’s a lot easier to couch game on than dragging my PC out to the family room.

In regards to LAN:

The majority of my friends in town have PCs and play CS. Some are actually really damn good. They would rather drive 20 minutes and pay a fee to go to a LAN center than bother to set up their equipment at a friends house. Logistically speaking it seems like a pain to host a LAN for the majority of competitive PC titles. Just in terms of space, equipment etc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

The thought of unplugging my pc from everything and throWing it in the car is making me uncomfortable lol

PC Cables: 7

PC weight: 14 pounds

PC size: 8x19x24

Number of peripherals: 4

Console cables: 3

Console weight: 5 pounds

Console size: 4x9x12

Number of peripherals: 3

Crawling required to plug/unplug compared to PC: 30%

The only way to get PC lan gaming to be as easy as console is to have a lot of "If", "ands" and "buts" applied to the PC gaming experience that all just come as default  experiences with console.  

If only there was some way to have both a console and a PC in your house. But alas, if you had both the cosmos would implode and everything would come to ruin. It's one or the other, so we better keep debating this.

This is actually not an option for a lot of people.  All these things cost money and average household income has been flat or negative since the 70's.  Consoles have a lower barrier to entry for less money and less technical headaches than PCs period.  Arguing otherwise is just being purposefully obtuse.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1