CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

I’m still scared that not only halo 6 will have these shit abilities, but terrible aiming mechanics like h5. Give us a smooth and consistent aiming system like all the other halo games 343!?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I’m still scared that not only halo 6 will have these shit abilities, but terrible aiming mechanics like h5. 

The first lick I hear of anything like this and I'm not even going to make sure to buy H6 off of eBay, I'm deliberately not going to play it at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Just host a LAN with 12 broken xboxes and invite @@Devilman. in 2 hours he'll have them fixed, take the faulty capacitors out and apply new thermal paste. 

He'll take out the garbage too

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is the correct answer. Who's still wasting words trying to defend the fact that H1 is GOAT? You know it, I know it, and at this point, anybody who matters knows it. Just love the game and don't let ignoramuses muddy the water.

As an aside, one of the big issues with eSports is that there will always be another game with better graphics or the shiniest new whatever. The turnover in gameplay and look and feel is insanely high. Compare it to a real sport - nobody is considering upgrading to the latest and greatest version of Soccer. H:CE is a beautiful, perfect game that doesn't need to be changed. It now looks so old that it doesn't even look "old", it just looks simple and clean. This is a good thing - H1 is much farther down the road of becoming a time-honored sport than most other games (Quake, Starcraft and CS are the others I'd think of that are going that way). I'd say the only thing it really _needs_ is a consistent way to play it that is actually future-proof. OG xboxes won't be around forever. MCC is a temporary holdover but obviously has other problems. But besides that issue, just keep loving the game and don't let people tell you different. Focus on the people who _do_ get it and encourage them to get more into the scene, rather than trying to convert the unconvertible who are just going to play the next big shiny thing anyway.

Melee, StarCraft, Warcraft, Quake 2, etc disagrees. CS GO was shunned until Valve made it more classic. And if DOTA games were significantly altered you'd probably see a huge backlash.

Actually Halo 1 gave out the 66th most prize money of any games last year. It's not much but hey, pretty cool regardless. If we could somehow make it more accessible like Melee netplay that'd be a significant boost I think. And there seems to be more lans happening nationwide now than since Halo 2 came out.

Obviously new things will continue to storm onto the scene as eSports is still in early growth stage. But I think you are starting to see less changes within established popular series now. Rocket League was a change from the previous game but there's not a chance they're going to mix up the formula now that tens of millions of people play it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Melee, StarCraft, Warcraft, Quake 2, etc disagrees. CS GO was shunned until Valve made it more classic. And if DOTA games were significantly altered you'd probably see a huge backlash.

I'm sure he was talking about the Halo franchise. 

Though IMHOtep, in the modern era of gaming (disqualify things like puzzle games, e.g. Tetris variants and the like), I think CE deserves to be mentioned in any list of "most competitive games". Especially if a qualifier is how prolific the game was; Virtual On Oratorio Tangram was insanely competitive but no one played it. lol 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo would have been far better off in the long term (and a better competitive game) if it had been on PC from the start, instead of languishing in the console ecosystem as the last vestiges of its PC FPS roots were shit on by a seemingly endless parade of fools and the inevitable "change arbitrary shit for no reason every 1-3 years" console sequel cycle guaranteed that nothing that ever made it good survived. That it took almost ten years to turn to complete garbage is a miracle.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo would have been far better off in the long term (and a better competitive game) if it had been on PC from the start, instead of languishing in the console ecosystem as the last vestiges of its PC FPS roots were shit on by a seemingly endless parade of fools and the inevitable "change arbitrary shit for no reason every 1-3 years" console sequel cycle guaranteed that nothing that ever made it good survived. That it took almost ten years to turn to complete garbage is a miracle.

You're depressing me lol.

Ya know for all the console hate they show no signs of slowing down. All sales are up significantly year over year from the previous generation. I don't think they're going anywhere.

The first lick I hear of anything like this and I'm not even going to make sure to buy H6 off of eBay, I'm deliberately not going to play it at all. 

everyone's not going to buy it on TeamBeyond until they do

Ya know for all the console hate they show no signs of slowing down. All sales are up significantly year over year from the previous generation. I don't think they're going anywhere.

Right, because they are low effort, low quality, locked down PCs for people who don't care enough/can't afford to do better. Braindead, disposable entertainment is the standard for mainstream audiences. Look at popular music. Look at blockbuster movies. Look at the majority of AAA games. Double digit IQ target audience.

Not sure what the popularity of consoles has to do with the fact that competitive FPS games on console were never a particularly good idea, though. Analogue stick aim cancer aside, a good number of Halo's long term issues directly correlate with standard practices for console sequel development in modern AAA. Overhaul (i.e. fuck up) a bunch of shit that was already good in order to justify the sequel. Make the graphics as obnoxiously "next gen" as you can manage (it's a sequel! It should look WAY better), often at the cost of actual gameplay features and innovation. Cynically chase goofy industry trends in a desperate bid for relevance (even when they're already relevant). Aggressively focus group-driven design for the lowest common denominator.

And Microsoft has been moving the Xbox brand towards PC for several years now. I would not be at all surprised if the next "Xbox" was basically just a prebuilt Windows 10 PC.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The Xbox 360 sold 1 million more units at this point in life cycle compared to the Xbox One. And that's with the gaming industry expanding immensely since then. I'm sure Microsoft is not happy with the situation.

The Xbox 360 sold 1 million more units at this point in life cycle compared to the Xbox One. And that's with the gaming industry expanding immensely since then. I'm sure Microsoft is not happy with the situation.

The Xbox One is a steaming pile of shit, but as a whole I think consoles are still doing very well.

Right, because they are low effort, low quality, locked down PCs for people who don't care enough/can't afford to do better. Braindead, disposable entertainment is the standard for mainstream audiences. Look at popular music. Look at blockbuster movies. Look at the majority of AAA games. Double digit IQ target audience.

Not sure what the popularity of consoles has to do with the fact that competitive FPS games on console were never a particularly good idea, though. Analogue stick aim cancer aside, a good number of Halo's long term issues directly correlate with standard practices for console sequel development in modern AAA. Overhaul (i.e. fuck up) a bunch of shit that was already good in order to justify the sequel. Make the graphics as obnoxiously "next gen" as you can manage (it's a sequel! It should look WAY better), often at the cost of actual gameplay features and innovation. Cynically chase goofy industry trends in a desperate bid for relevance (even when they're already relevant). Aggressively focus group-driven design for the lowest common denominator.

And Microsoft has been moving the Xbox brand towards PC for several years now. I would not be at all surprised if the next "Xbox" was basically just a prebuilt Windows 10 PC.

Woah, I'm not saying they're the better platform. I understand the limitations of console. But the year over year sales only show growth. From what I've read the current generation is significantly outselling the last despite their weaknesses.

Also. I have a fairly beefy gaming pc but I don't enjoy gaming on it. I'll never like the feeling of sitting over a desk with a kbm. I just enjoy sitting back with a controller.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Isn't this already true? Cheap PC, windows 10 kernel with a UI on top made for controllers.

Woah, I'm not saying they're the better platform. I understand the limitations of console. But the year over year sales only show growth. From what I've read the current generation is significantly outselling the last despite their weaknesses.

Also. I have a fairly beefy gaming pc but I don't enjoy gaming on it. I'll never like the feeling of sitting over a desk with a kbm. I just enjoy sitting back with a controller.

So plug your PC into your TV...? There's literally no difference at this point especially with Steam Big Picture mode enabling controller use of the desktop. A wireless kb/m for like 15 bucks makes this possible too.

So plug your PC into your TV...? There's literally no difference at this point especially with Steam Big Picture mode enabling controller use of the desktop. A wireless kb/m for like 15 bucks makes this possible too.

And play against other people using kbm while I use a controller?

Split screen with friends?

There's a lot of genre's that are better off on console as well.  Primarily racing and fighting games, neither of which I care for, but they exist for a reason.

Not to mention the lack of a true single voice chat system, granted at this point most people use discord but that's still not as intuitive as a baked in OS like Xbox or Playstation.  PC gaming is good for somethings but I don't think it's ever going to eradicate consoles.  There's too much convenience in an all in 1 box for most people to invest in a gaming pc.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If only there was someone on this forum to tell us how lazy and stupid we are for preferring console.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They're weak arguments though.

For "fighting and racing games" there's nothing stopping you from laying back on your couch and playing with a controller.  I play Dark Souls with a controller on my PC, plenty of people play Melee through netplay on PC.  It's different when talking about Shooters but there's no inherent difference with those genres that make them work better on console.

Discord is hardly inconvenient.  At the very worst you might have to minimize your game for a minute to switch channels, which I don't see how that's any different in concept from pausing your game to bring up the Xbox Live party screen.

Unfortunately I think consoles are going to reign supreme in population for awhile longer because they now actually do have a pricepoint advantage.  Fucking bitcoin mining cancer driving up the cost of budget components for us actual gamers.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So can anyone find games today like at all? Been running 2's and now we can't find anything even on team slayer. We checked twitch and people are stuck on "searching for players" and people in the chat are asking if anyone can find games. Is MCC finally completely dead?  

So can anyone find games today like at all? Been running 2's and now we can't find anything even on team slayer. We checked twitch and people are stuck on "searching for players" and people in the chat are asking if anyone can find games. Is MCC finally completely dead?  

Xbox Live is having issues right now, maybe that?

Xbox Live is having issues right now, maybe that?

Xbox.com says everything normal as far as games go. But besides that MCC is getting more and more glitchy by the day. Well I tried, guess I'll have to wait for this patch. GG 343.  

Xbox.com says everything normal as far as games go. But besides that MCC is getting more and more glitchy by the day. Well I tried, guess I'll have to wait for this patch. GG 343.  

The Xbox.com page has to be manually updated which usually takes a good hour or two when the problems actually go widespread - it's dumb :/