CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

If I may interject for a moment, I don't know ANY of the advanced tricks for either Halo 1 or 2, but in casual play, Halo 2 is a clunky, narrow, repetitive mess. Every match plays out almost the same way, the melee feels terrible, and the weapon balance is terrible, with only a few being viable, and the sword being vastly overpowered. Halo 1, on the other hand, feels like a sandbox where you can play your own way and still have a chance.

Yeah I’m not going to let someone get away with calling H2 more clunky than CE. The movement/jumping in H2 is the most responsive the series ever had. One of CE few faults is its clunky/dated movement system. I get it guys CE > H2 but the way some people exaggerate about H2 makes me wonder sometimes.
  • Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Yeah I’m not going to let someone get away with calling H2 more clunky than CE. The movement/jumping in H2 is the most responsive the series ever had. One of CE few faults is its clunky/dated movement system. I get it guys CE > H2 but the way some people exaggerate about H2 makes me wonder sometimes.

CE movement makes me want to blow my brains out.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

It's possible he was referring to the lack of "weight" that Halo 2 has. I agree though, Halo 2 feels very smooth and responsive in the movement department. The jump delay in Halo CE can be jarring moving back from more modern games. 

No it doesn't, that's all just patently false. Raising the shooting skill gap decreases the advantage of positioning because it allows a player on the lower ground to actually outshoot the other player. This is basic, fundamental stuff here.

To illustrate this point, let's use an extreme example: a game where everyone lands every shot. A player in a power position will have a dramatically higher chance of winning any engagement because the height and angle advantage make it much more likely that he sees the other player first. The player at the lower position will never win that fight. A team that has better positioning, allowing them to get more guns on a player (teamshot), will always win in a game where every shot lands. 

Now let's look at the other end of the spectrum; no aim assists at all. The player with higher aiming skill will have a much greater chance of overcoming the height/angle advantage, because there is now a whole new skill-space which allows them to overcome that positioning advantage. When everyone can easily land most of their shots, like Halo 2, the advantage of positioning is dramatically increased.

When you compress or reduce a certain skill, the relative benefits of other skills is enhanced (the skill depth is not increased, it is simply relatively more important). If you compress of reduce the shooting skill, the relative benefits of map positioning are enhanced. This should be pretty obvious. 

The only reason the "meta" of double-shotting works is because of the insane aim assists. The fact that refer to it as a "significant" portion of the meta should tell you everything you need to know. The fact that Halo 2 players hang their hat on a button combination that is only relevant due to the massive aim assists should be fairly indicative of how deep the shooting skill gap is. 

I'm using generalizations because we're speaking about broad concepts that form the basis for a game.

I simply refuse to agree that a First-Person-Shooter that doesn't have shooting skill as part of it's skill philosophy can be as good of a game as it should be. That doesn't mean it can't be played at competitions or that you can't personally enjoy it or that there is no skill in the game, it simply means that it's potential is being unnecessarily and severely limited.  

I strongly disagree with this but i'm done arguing. you believe one thing and i believe another, that's fine. 

Jumping/movement is meaningless if your methods of dealing damage are a choice between spray-and-pray, bullet sponge, and insta-kill.

• Downvote (-1) 2

Just as a reminder, when Halo 2 came out, the majority of the competitive Halo community that attended events disliked the game. It caused a large amount of people to quit playing Halo all together and was a bigger shift than I think people realize in terms of the "classic" halo formula. People didn't universally praise Halo 2 until 07 when those H1 players were long gone, and newer players came in and got to play better maps/gametypes than Ivory Tower TS.

People didn't praise Halo (previous) until Halo (next) came out. Story of the franchises life.

It's almost as if instead of adding QoL improvements and refinements, they changed the entire formula every damn game.

Halo 2 was carried by a staggering array of online features that redefined not just console gaming, but gaming as a whole. Objectively, Halo 2 is a great game, but it didn't have the same "click" has Halo 1 did for me and many others. I still love it though.

Halo 3 was carried by Xbox 360, Hype, Theatre and forge. It didn't have the same click as Halo 2 either, but was still a great game and the one I have the most time in.

Reach + let's just not go there.

Why can't they just get Halo 1 or at least Halo 2, QoL and refine the shit out of it and release a fantastic, simple, core Halo experience?

Bugs me.

• Upvote (+1) 9

People didn't praise Halo (previous) until Halo (next) came out. Story of the franchises life.

It's almost as if instead of adding QoL improvements and refinements, they changed the entire formula every damn game.

Halo 2 was carried by a staggering array of online features that redefined not just console gaming, but gaming as a whole. Objectively, Halo 2 is a great game, but it didn't have the same "click" has Halo 1 did for me and many others. I still love it though.

Halo 3 was carried by Xbox 360, Hype, Theatre and forge. It didn't have the same click as Halo 2 either, but was still a great game and the one I have the most time in.

Why can't they just get Halo 1 or at least Halo 2, QoL and refine the shit out of it and release a fantastic, simple, core Halo experience?

Bugs me.

tumblr_mlgzuvRnTL1s46koto5_500.gif

• Upvote (+1) 8

tumblr_mlgzuvRnTL1s46koto5_500.gif

That is precice, lets not forget the focus group testing & inclusion of microtransactions with badly made gamemodes :/ Maybe Halo 6 will be include sone sort of last man standing style gamemode with REQ Cards, since PUBG Fortnite are so popular. I wouldn't be suprised since M$ seems to be getting more aggressive with Microtransactions.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

These angry walls of text need to be directed at the fact that it's been three years and this games still broken.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 2

These angry walls of text need to be directed at the fact that it's been three years and this games still broken.

It's getting fixed.

@@MultiLockOn @a chunk, Kon Artist sounds correct. It was a small square shaped map with a basement with 4 sets of stairs leading to it and frag nades down there, and I think you could shoot through the floor to it because it was a fence. There were stairs leading up to each of the 4 corners on the main level with a vertical dumpster for cover, and then a floating cross shaped bridge at top middle that housed a mauler. It played super fast but allowed for some good mind games. I had a blast on it.

CE movement makes me want to blow my brains out.

Sounds like you'd enjoy some sprint and thrust  :kappa:

Bugs me.

I always felt that the sequels were always praised higher than the last release by the majority, but it was the competitive community that had always expressed their distaste of the new game. I have my opinion about which games are the most skillful/competitive but I also have a different opinion on which games are "best" overall. Sure,  2v2 CE is my favorite by a lot followed by Halo 2 4v4's. However I don't mind admitting Halo 3 was the best overall game regardless of the bad game mechanics, simply because of the amount of content that game and at the time. I never really blame people for claiming that they think Halo 2 or Halo 3 is the best game. I only will speak up if they are claim for it to be more competitive than others type of deal.

You are right about them changing the formula though. Thats why I never like to lump up "classic" halo because to someone who lived through each release, there are massive differences that were big issues to the community. Sure, it's not as detrimental as sprint and stuff I guess things will drastically change when you put various people in charge of the multiplayer.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sounds like you'd enjoy some sprint and thrust :kappa:

I always felt that the sequels were always praised higher than the last release by the majority, but it was the competitive community that had always expressed their distaste of the new game. I have my opinion about which games are the most skillful/competitive but I also have a different opinion on which games are "best" overall. Sure, 2v2 CE is my favorite by a lot followed by Halo 2 4v4's. However I don't mind admitting Halo 3 was the best overall game regardless of the bad game mechanics, simply because of the amount of content that game and at the time. I never really blame people for claiming that they think Halo 2 or Halo 3 is the best game. I only will speak up if they are claim for it to be more competitive than others type of deal.

You are right about them changing the formula though. Thats why I never like to lump up "classic" halo because to someone who lived through each release, there are massive differences that were big issues to the community. Sure, it's not as detrimental as sprint and stuff I guess things will drastically change when you put various people in charge of the multiplayer.

As annoying as H5 movement is it does at least feel smooth to me. I have very little time on CE but the jump delay and physics on slanted edges killed me when I played it on MCC.

After all these years do you think you'll ever change your profile picture come spring 2018? :kappa:

After all these years do you think you'll ever change your profile picture come spring 2018? :kappa:

People who change their profile pics are weak.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This conversation takes me back to 2004 when halo2sucks.com was a thing and this video was popular on the MLG forums:

• Upvote (+1) 9

Won't ever need to. They'll never fix it.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

>TFW I accidentally fixed superbounces in h2v while trying to fix framerate and shotreg issues  :cool:

Edit: H2V superbouncing montage up!

Edit: It appears that weapon fire rates and melee physics all match OG aswell now with this change. Holy crap

• Upvote (+1) 4

True dat

Speaking of which, I'm trying to remember the name of the person who offered to edit santa hats onto people's avatars a few years back. Santa hat Ling Ling really differentiates me from all the other Ling Lings out there.

This conversation takes me back to 2004 when halo2sucks.com was a thing and this video was popular on the MLG forums:

Never gets old. Magnetism on rockets? Dear lord. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I lose forum friends when people change their avatars. I just dont recognize when they post anymore lmao