CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Please add dedicated servers to custom games like was originally planned.

Whoever has host in H2C has a huge advantage over the OG version and it makes all competitive H2C custom games irrelevant.

The H2C community is forced to play custom hardcore games with someone having super host since the Hardcore playlist is a mix of H2 and H3 (and no one ever votes H2, and if it somehow gets picked the H3 kids just quit).

It would also be nice if you could provide separate H2 and H3 hardcore playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Something to dramatically improve the game would be to let players choose​ which games they want to search for in multi-game playlists. Like, I only want to play either Halo 2 or Halo 3 in the Big Team Battle playlist, so I should have the option of selecting those two games to search and matching others who only want to play Halo 2 and/or Halo 3 with the 3 voting choices being only Halo 2 and/or Halo 3.

this would be amazing

i bought MCC to play hardcore H2 settings, not h3

so there's really no reason for me to even play MCC anymore because most people always vote h3

• Upvote (+1) 6

The core functions of the game need to be addressed. I want to be able to play the games as they originally played, as was promised we would be able to do. I still get on the game to play sometimes, and getting H3 slayer with AR starts is abysmal. Fixing the matchmaking/ranking, updating to 4k, hit detection, and all of that is great, but it won't mean very much if the settings of the games in matchmaking are still awful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I feel that this current build of H2V is set on the 1.1 update spawn system from OG when instead it should be on the latest 1.5.

Wait what? How did things change between those two updates?

If they can actually fix something relevant that would be fantastic, but let's check the track record on that one...

Yeah. I'm not holding my breath. More than likely this is just an update to get it ready for Xbox One X under the pretense that it's a global "fix".

• Upvote (+1) 5

343i has a lot to make up for almos three years of a broken compilation of games. My fingers are crossed.

While it's cool that they're going to do something with MCC again, I'm not holding my breath. They're still talking about "improving" and "enhacing", not fixing any issues. And even if they fix all the bugs and glitches, the game still has tons of issues:

• Cross-game playlists with no filters and the resulting mass quitting and QTB
  • Low population due to being broken 3+ years
  • Terrible playlist and gametype management. They haven't done a good job the last 3 years, why would they suddenly start now?

But still, a functioning MCC would be great just to use for LANs and customs, even if MM continues to be garbage. And I will definitely be there for the beta build and give my feedback, but I'm not getting too excited for this. A few small bug fixes for the major issues and one or two playlist updates is all I expect.

I'm with you guys but there really is nothing to make up for or fix in the grand scheme of things. The population is never going to come back (if there was even one to begin with). We're going 3 years into MCC's lifespan and 343 and Microsoft fucked up everything before it was released. They knew it was going to be released broken, incomplete and half-assed. So many people bought an Xbox One just for this game. So many people bought into this, into the hype, in order to relive the peak of the classic Halo experience for just a few more years and they screwed the pooch. While "improvements" and "enhancements" are welcome, it's too little too late. The damage has been done. Meanwhile we still have 1069 days and counting since Frankie promised us an explanation for MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Yeah they really care this time around. Promise. Don't worry it's not like they released to us an alpha phase game for full retail price and never fixed it.

3 years later now we may potentially go into beta! Nice!

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If they can actually fix something relevant that would be fantastic, but let's check the track record on that one...

Yeah. I'm not holding my breath. More than likely this is just an update to get it ready for Xbox One X under the pretense that it's a global "fix".

Like others have said, if they weren’t 100% confident that they could fix MCC, they would have never even brought it up. No one expected this announcement. If they make this announcement and screw up, critics will eat away at them. That would be an unnecessary risk that they didn’t have to take. I expect a fully functioning MCC at some point in 2018, and if not, 343 will have made fools of themselves for getting everyone’s hopes up

• Upvote (+1) 5

Like others have said, if they weren’t 100% confident that they could fix MCC, they would have never even brought it up. No one expected this announcement. If they make this announcement and screw up, critics will eat away at them. That would be an unnecessary risk that they didn’t have to take. I expect a fully functioning MCC at some point in 2018, and if not, 343 will have made fools of themselves for getting everyone’s hopes up

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me 343 times...

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm (probably overly...) optimistic about this for the simple fact that 343 even bringing it up again is a big risk for them.

Actually diving in with another studio, promising multiple stages of "large scale" testing.  Update for OneX.

The risk involved in this project is huge.  If they can't get it working, it's PR disaster number 2 for MCC. My wild assumption is that they have already seen decent progress being made so they are willing to bring it up again.

The only thing they get out of this is wound healing.  Whatever they are doing for this now, if it works out, won't actually pay off in $$ until Halo 6 comes out.

I want to know what studio they have working on this....

• Upvote (+1) 6

Wait what? How did things change between those two updates?

I feel the spawn system in 1.5 was a little less predictable and would give your teammate(s) more of a chance to spawn away from a cluster of combat.

I think I'll hold my optimism until I actually see what they're planning on fixing.

But I and many others expected a fully functioning game for $59.99 MSRP at launch, not at some point many years later...

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If they make this announcement and screw up, critics will eat away at them. That would be an unnecessary risk that they didn’t have to take.

The risk involved in this project is huge.  If they can't get it working, it's PR disaster number 2 for MCC.

Really? The last 6 times they didn't fix jack shit no one talked about it, except @@Moa writing that 100 days later article. Devs can get away with the shittiest of products these days. The only times is see critings eating away at a game dev is to hop on bandwagons such as the hate for Lawbreakers and No Man's Sky. FFS, MCC still has 85% on metacritic despite being probably the worst functioning FPS in the last decade.

They might be doing this to make things right with the Halo community and because they want to avoid H6 being the same sales disaster as H5. But the gaming community at large and especially the press do no give a single fuck about MCC.

My wild assumption is that they have already seen decent progress being made so they are willing to bring it up again.

Man I really hope this is true, but as I said before, not holding my breath.

Really? The last 6 times they didn't fix jack shit no one talked about it, except @@Moa writing that 100 days later article. Devs can get away with the shittiest of products these days. The only times is see critings eating away at a game dev is to hop on bandwagons such as the hate for Lawbreakers and No Man's Sky. FFS, MCC still has 85% on metacritic despite being probably the worst functioning FPS in the last decade.

They might be doing this to make things right with the Halo community and because they want to avoid H6 being the same sales disaster as H5. But the gaming community at large and especially the press do no give a single fuck about MCC.

Tbh I think the 5 campaigns, redone in 60fps 1080p, with two of the campaigns receiving updated textures and cinematics (Halo 2 looked GORGEOUS), is still worth an 85%. If this is what they announced and that there was no multiplayer, an 85% for that content would be fair.

Its just that what they promised with working multiplayer is a 100% game if it functioned. And the only reason I bought an Xbox One. And the fact that it kinda works but not really is what it's especially frustrating. You can see the potential but these tiny things just compound and ruin the experience when you compare it to the original games.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'm cautiously optimistic. I say that now, but the inner Halo fan in me is already starting to feel like I did during the E3 announcement of the MCC (ecstatic).

Both views have a lot of merit. Optimistic thinking will have us saying that they must know they can pull it off this time, and that doing so will be huge for them. Pessimistic thinking will have us saying that previous patches have failed, 343's track record is terrible, and this will likely be a fiasco.

Realistically, 343 may have had an MCC planned for a long time and started work on it once H5's monthly content update drops. It would make sense for their efforts to be split working on a more MCC heavy focus with the fewer H5 content updates.

Idk.  All i heard about MCC was bitching.  I was still a waypointer back then and even there past the first 2 weeks everybody was bitching. Woke up this morning with my phone shoveling me half a dozen articles about yesterday's livestream at me that all had moments in there basically saying "Its about fucking time 343 got back to MCC." Metacritic is inherently flawed since most of the reviews are finished and published before the game actually goes live.  Its kind of shitty but thats an industry problem as a whole, not specific to 343 so i kind of ignore that but i see your point.

And yeah i really hope that is true too.  Hope being the operative word. My realistic confidence level is not that high.

Tbh I think the 5 campaigns, redone in 60fps 1080p, with two of the campaigns receiving updated textures and cinematics (Halo 2 looked GORGEOUS), is still worth an 85%. If this is what they announced and that there was no multiplayer, an 85% for that content would be fair.

Its just that what they promised with working multiplayer is a 100% game if it functioned. And the only reason I bought an Xbox One. And the fact that it kinda works but not really is what it's especially frustrating. You can see the potential but these tiny things just compound and ruin the experience when you compare it to the original games.

Multiplayer for halo has always been at least 50% of the experience.  If the reviewers had waited until they could try matchmaking outside of 343's incredibly curated, specific experiences it would probably have a 50 like it deserved. Unfortunately in the rush to have their articles ready for the first second after the embargo is lifted, game reviewers don't exactly put out the highest quality work.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I just KNOW that, if by some miracle things actually get FIXED instead of "improved", they're going to focus on the stuff they developed themselves, as in NOT the Bungie trilogy that I and so many others BOUGHT AN XBOX ONE FOR. Even so, here I go farting into the wind with the fixes I want to see...

*sigh*

@@Frankie @@Tashi @@ske7ch

Number one, and the absolute priority, DEDICATED SERVERS 100% OF THE TIME, INCLUDING IN CUSTOM GAMES. Throw out every shred of P2P code. Not only is this how Halo 5 works, but the lack of dedicated servers was given as the reason why Halo Anniversary didn't have multiplayer.

Number two, REPLACE THE HALO 1 AND HALO 2 PC PORTS WITH THEIR ORIGINAL CONSOLE VERSIONS. The differences are pretty much all negative, especially from a competitive point of view. I played some Halo PC once, and neither the gameplay nor the graphics felt nearly as tight as the AWARD WINNING, XBOX BRAND DEFINING console original. I also recall Halo 2 PC being viewed negatively compared to the console version. Details of Halo 1's differences can be found here, here, and here. I'm not as well versed in Halo 2's differences, but some can be found here. Oh, and don't say it's not possible. We know you have a team that can do it. And do a complete 60 FPS conversion this time.

Number three, fix the matchmaking, ranking, and playlists, which are the most broken/half-assed parts of the game. Halo 2's online multiplayer worked almost flawlessly ON LAUNCH DAY IN 2004. Take a moment and think about that.

Number four, match each game's control schemes up to their originals. Some are incorrect, as well as incorrectly labeled (at least they were the last time I played, I don't think I bothered trying the most recent patch).

And number five, fix the menus. Pretty sure they're still buggy and crudely organized. Having each game's original menu music would be a nice touch as well. Give the game the slick, snappy presentation every other Halo title has.

Bonus request: Add a custom game browser. I think Halo 5 has one? But get the rest of the game working first.

You've taken up the challenge - now show us what you've got.

Great list! I am 100% on board with every one of those fixes. Hopefully it gets done...

• Upvote (+1) 1

"Fans of classic Halo games also have a lot to look forward to with today’s announcement that Halo: TheMaster Chief Collection will receive enhancements for Xbox One X, as well as fixes, improvements and upgrades to the core game to help bring it forward and modernize many of the game’s systems to take advantage of Xbox platform advancements since its original launch."

Maybe this is just me being gun-shy from the 1,000 other times 343 has misled us with ambiguous language, but that official statement above looks a heck of a lot like back-end system improvements to help it run better on OneX rather than actual gameplay improvements. Maybe the improvements will make the game play better and shot registration better, etc., but it doesn't seem like that is the focus.

"Fixes, improvements and upgrades to the core game to help bring it forward and modernize many of the game's systems..."

What does that actually mean? There is no need to bring the core game forward and modernize it. That could mean they are adding micro-transactions for weapon skins for all we know. There is a large need to fix critical issues that are preventing the game from being an accurate representation of the core games, but the language they use doesn't expressly say that.

I've just seen this play out way too many times to not be incredibly dubious about all of it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What are people's thoughts on the veto system in the case of MCC? Do you think it would be better if maps had random rotation like Halo 5 instead, or do you like the current system? 

What are people's thoughts on the veto system in the case of MCC? Do you think it would be better if maps had random rotation like Halo 5 instead, or do you like the current system? 

I think it's fine, the real problem is the actual settings of the gametypes you're forced to play.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Good point about skins and microtransactions.... Ugh. That's certainly "modernized". I wish 343 didn't always make me fear the worst.

Idk. All i heard about MCC was bitching. I was still a waypointer back then and even there past the first 2 weeks everybody was bitching. Woke up this morning with my phone shoveling me half a dozen articles about yesterday's livestream at me that all had moments in there basically saying "Its about fucking time 343 got back to MCC." Metacritic is inherently flawed since most of the reviews are finished and published before the game actually goes live. Its kind of shitty but thats an industry problem as a whole, not specific to 343 so i kind of ignore that but i see your point.

And yeah i really hope that is true too. Hope being the operative word. My realistic confidence level is not that high.

Multiplayer for halo has always been at least 50% of the experience. If the reviewers had waited until they could try matchmaking outside of 343's incredibly curated, specific experiences it would probably have a 50 like it deserved. Unfortunately in the rush to have their articles ready for the first second after the embargo is lifted, game reviewers don't exactly put out the highest quality work.

Lots of amazing campaign focused games get deservedly high scores. Multiplayer is not necessary for a game to be deemed great. The standard for the score should not change just because Halo is printed on the box.

Halo was just the best because you had lore and multiplayer. There was so much to discuss and love.

I'm not saying the game criticism field isn't without flaw. It's totally broken. But I don't think it applies to MCC's score.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Good point about skins and microtransactions.... Ugh. That's certainly "modernized". I wish 343 didn't always make me fear the worst.

Lots of amazing campaign focused games get deservedly high scores. Multiplayer is not necessary for a game to be deemed great. The standard for the score should not change just because Halo is printed on the box.

Halo was just the best because you had lore and multiplayer. There was so much to discuss and love.

I'm not saying the game criticism field isn't without flaw. It's totally broken. But I don't think it applies to MCC's score.

The standard for the score should changed based on the intended audience and projected play-time for the various aspects of the game.

Halo has deep roots of being a multiplayer-focused game for all kinds of players.  If the Last of Us multiplayer sucked, it wouldn't have mattered because that's not why people by Naughty Dog games. People buy Halo games for the campaign yes, but a LOOOOTTT of people only play the campaign as an afterthought.  if there was no multiplayer, the game would sell half as many copies at best.  If The Last of Us 2 has no multiplayer, the same number of people will buy it.

Both of those games shouldn't be judged equally on their campaign and multiplayer elements.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree. I keep replaying through Halo: CE's Campaign on the original Xbox because it did so many things right, despite the fact that it's the only way I can play the game, since I never have anyone to play Split-screen with me.