CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Someone waypoint right now is trying to seriously argue with me that people barely ever used the ar in CE.. Despite me showing him a video of the beach lan........Edit:I hate auto correct.

Does it actually matter how much a weapon is used? If the pistol was the only weapon in CE, it would still be a better game than any of the other Halos.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Reddit and Waypoint have the most cancerous, moronic Halo fans I've ever seen.  Worse than the old B.Net forums.  Can't believe this is what the majority of the Halo fan base has become.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Someone waypoint right now is trying to seriouslyo argue with me that people barely ever used the ar in CE.. Despite me showing him a video of the beach lan........Edit:I hate auto correct.

ever since frankie said the pistol was op on neogaf, all the people who never played halo1 just think the pistol is op. Also doesnt help that its a 3sk. Ppl just think 3 is faster than 4 so it has to be op. The br was never 3sk!

The out br'd phenomenon really made a lot of people think they enjoy these long br battles. Even tho most of the time it was just con ection making them drawn out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does it actually matter how much a weapon is used? If the pistol was the only weapon in CE, it would still be a better game than any of the other Halos.

It doesn't matter too much but it's irritating because it's completely fucking wrong.

343 must be reading too many articles like this. 

Mostly, though, what defines a good game? Can you outright call any Zelda title terrible or even bad? People like different things about each entry and the best aspect of the series is Nintendo’s willingness to reinvent the wheel all the time. Zelda was endured because most entries aren’t repeats of the last.  

That triggered me hard as a Halo fan. 

I don't know about Zelda fans, and I loved BotW, but I think some Halo fans actually want a repeat. A repeat based on the original trilogy that is.

I know I would love to see it go back to its' roots. How do you feel?

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 must be reading too many articles like this. 

That triggered me hard as a Halo fan. 

I don't know about Zelda fans, and I loved BotW, but I think some Halo fans actually want a repeat. A repeat based on the original trilogy that is.

I know I would love to see it go back to its' roots. How do you feel?

Be honest with yourselves, what indication if any has 343 given that there is a even a SLIGHT possibility of that happening? Once sprint, animation-based gameplay, and ADS is in an FPS when has it every been taken out? Answer:NEVER, because the bros and the casuals take precedent over the core gamers in console gaming and always have. Is 343 suddenly going to change their minds about things they haven't even bothered to discuss with the community or give REAL IN DEPTH explanations for? No, because they probably know even if SOME OF THEM wanted a more classic-style Halo the powers that be WOULDN'T LET THEM.

From one previous die-hard Halo fan to another, stop torturing yourself with generic shitty Halo and either go play the one you like or check out games like Lawbreakers, QC, UT4, Rainbow Six Siege(I guess...still not RS 1-3 but BETTER than Vegas) that CARE ABOUT CORE GAMERS LIKE YOU and are not just generic military clones. I had more fun in UT4 pre-alpha with 100 people in mostly DM modes playing in the same lobby over and over again for 3 hours than I did playing Halo 5 with my "friends" because the gameplay kicks the shit out of H5 even in pre-alpha! Real gamers do not let platform or nostalgia keep them from experiencing GREAT titles, 343 has preyed on your unnatural attachment to Halo to throw out enough scraps to keep the competitive community around while bastardizing the game into a CoD clone on the down low with little resistance from the media or fans its amazing!

• Upvote (+1) 7

Be honest with yourselves, what indication if any has 343 given that there is a even a SLIGHT possibility of that happening? Once sprint, animation-based gameplay, and ADS is in an FPS when has it every been taken out? Answer:NEVER, because the bros and the casuals take precedent over the core gamers in console gaming and always have. Is 343 suddenly going to change their minds about things they haven't even bothered to discuss with the community or give REAL IN DEPTH explanations for? No, because they probably know even if SOME OF THEM wanted a more classic-style Halo the powers that be WOULDN'T LET THEM.

From one previous die-hard Halo fan to another, stop torturing yourself with generic shitty Halo and either go play the one you like or check out games like Lawbreakers, QC, UT4, Rainbow Six Siege(I guess...still not RS 1-3 but BETTER than Vegas) that CARE ABOUT CORE GAMERS LIKE YOU and are not just generic military clones. I had more fun in UT4 pre-alpha with 100 people in mostly DM modes playing in the same lobby over and over again for 3 hours than I did playing Halo 5 with my "friends" because the gameplay kicks the shit out of H5 even in pre-alpha! Real gamers do not let platform or nostalgia keep them from experiencing GREAT titles, 343 has preyed on your unnatural attachment to Halo to throw out enough scraps to keep the competitive community around while bastardizing the game into a CoD clone on the down low with little resistance from the media or fans its amazing!

Titanfall 2 is definitely worth a try. The Wingman Elite is the closest thing to a CE style magnum I've seen since, well, CE. Utterly orgasmic melting players with headshots when they think they have the drop on you. So damn satisfying.

If the Halo community wants a classic halo game, especially one like CE, we are going to have to make it ourselves. Think Kickstarter etc. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

If the Halo community wants a classic halo game, especially one like CE, we are going to have to make it ourselves. Think Kickstarter etc.

I think the key to something like this being successful is to not 100% emulate halo.Take the true utility weapon ex:take pickups,take power weapons,take shields,take niche weapons,ce spawn system,take one base move speed with a couple skillful additions, button combos,etc,etc than add new stuff like air control,a more in-depth melee system,a utility weapon like this http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/8782-what-features-would-you-like-to-see-in-a-halo-game/?do=findComment&comment=382662,and a couple other things.The big key is to not fall into the trap of making a carbon clone of your inspiration like reflex and a couple other afps games have.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I had more fun in UT4 pre-alpha with 100 people in mostly DM modes playing in the same lobby over and over again for 3 hours than I did playing Halo 5 with my "friends" because the gameplay kicks the shit out of H5 even in pre-alpha!

More people should try UT4. I havent played it in a few patches, but i had so much playing even back when everything was still just greyscale and boxey. I've ran across some players on it that have just absolutly shit on me, but it makes you want to go back for more. Theres no cheesy crap like spartan charge, if you die its because your opponent outplayed you.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The guy just told me that a gamepad is just as good as kb+m for aiming........ Here's the offending part.

"Halo's autos have never needed the skill-crippling degrees of aim assist thrown at them in every game dating back to CE. Console controls are simply not that bad; I have modded Halo CE and Halo 2 to entirely eliminate bullet magnetism and cut reticle magnetism by 75% and the game is still fully playable, except with the possibility for actual error and actual skill, particularly with autos. A 360 pad with the right input algorithm can beat mouse and keyboard pros at Quake (

). Cutting down the aim assist, spread and damage falloff in Halo 5 was the right idea, it just wasn't done well enough." Why do I do this to myself?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think the key to something like this being successful is to not 100% emulate halo.Take the true utility weapon ex:take pickups,take power weapons,take shields,take niche weapons,ce spawn system,take one base move speed with a couple skillful additions, button combos,etc,etc than add new stuff like air control,a more in-depth melee system,a utility weapon like this http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/8782-what-features-would-you-like-to-see-in-a-halo-game/?do=findComment&comment=382662,and a couple other things.The big key is to not fall into the trap of making a carbon clone of your inspiration like reflex and a couple other afps games have.

Those are some good points. One difference is that there is literally no game that plays like CE that has any real online component with dedicated servers or modern net code. Quake Live existed and was F2P for a while. CE/Classic Halo fans either have to LAN with modded Boxes or use a crappy PC port (although some have done their best to improve it) with large Host advantages etc. If done properly, a game could ship that was very similar to CE, and if it was marketed the right way and had helpful in-game tutorials (Think Halospawns.com or Halonades.com) I think it would generate a large following. 

Also, I have yet to teach anyone how to actually play CE without them finding it extremely fun to play. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

More people should try UT4. I havent played it in a few patches, but i had so much playing even back when everything was still just greyscale and boxey. I've ran across some players on it that have just absolutly shit on me, but it makes you want to go back for more. Theres no cheesy crap like spartan charge, if you die its because your opponent outplayed you.

You can always find someone who will shit on you in UT, thats the beauty of it.  ;)

Ive gone on record saying UT4 might be doomed(mostly because of slow, super slow,(did I mention it was slow?) development, in-fighting in the community, Overwatch+all these MOBA wannabes releasing soon) to be the greatest FPS this gen to be completely and utterly ignored. Its sad man, I love UT(CTF-Face unlimited time limit unlimited flags will always be bae <3 ) may god have mercy on your soul if you never got to play UT MP no wonder everyone is playing CoD nowadays they dont know any matter. I have grown to see the potential in, and possibly even like UT4(despite its obvious shortcomings), and its hard to see a good true FPS that is loyal to its roots and its fans with an honest developer be undermined and struggle like it has.

I mean how could anyone not like this? If you posses a soul at all and like competitive FPS, you should at least try UT4 once in this dark age when some good is attempting to be done. Try UT4 once( its free, the game is BEAUTIFUL, sleek, and clean with no visual clutter) still in development, already has a built in skill-based ranking system based on ELO, and YOU can help shape the future of UT https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/ even if its against bots thats ok) I promise you wont regret it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What about quake champions? I bought a beta key for like a dollar, just waiting for the weekend and it's playable again.

This is very true.

For example, having one large health pool that requires multiple headshots instead of no headshot bonuses on shields is change such an inspiration could take, but the question is who could do this and how could it happen?

• Upvote (+1) 1

I saw people a little while ago talking about ways to improve Slayer as a competitive gametype. What if, for CE for instance, it was first to 50, but you had to win by 5. It would be an interesting way to extend the tense last few minutes of a game, and have some clutch comebacks. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I saw people a little while ago talking about ways to improve Slayer as a competitive gametype. What if, for CE for instance, it was first to 50, but you had to win by 5. It would be an interesting way to extend the tense last few minutes of a game, and have some clutch comebacks. 

wouldnt really extend it. 

at 49-49, you're playing to win right now.

at 49-49 with the new system, you're playing to not lose. sacrificing a death isn't the end all. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly if you want Slayer to be more competitive, emulating CE itself is probably the best you can do.

I'm not saying it is not possible to improve it further, but you don't want to over-complicate the simple objective of get as many kills as possible. You want stuff to be as intuitive as possible.

Changing it to a 1-life mode or putting markers over certain players heads or even having to pick up something off of kills to score points would make it not Slayer. And I don't see how having to win by 5 would improve anything or what the purpose would be, if you want to elaborate.

CE does the best Slayer by constantly incentivizing map movement with multiple powerful pickups that are constantly spawning, all also kept in a reasonable check by the powerful but difficult utility weapon that encourages individual skill.

That and the spawning system and weapon grenading also add a lot of extra depth to that well designed core gameplay, even if Bungie didn't realize what they did right at the time.

It isn't so much the fault of Slayer that every game since H2 has too few and slow spawning pickups to encourage map movement along with easier, slower killing utility weapons that all go together to produce a slower, lower depth, and stalemate prone game that Slayer is particularly susceptible to.

The core mechanics have a lot to do with the quality of gameplay in this particular case as with many others.

• Upvote (+1) 1

wouldnt really extend it. 

at 49-49, you're playing to win right now.

at 49-49 with the new system, you're playing to not lose. sacrificing a death isn't the end all. 

I feel like CE would force you to play aggressive though. You have to win by 5, so you need to get those rockets that are up in 20 seconds, they could easily decide the game. The constant rotations of CE would make it something cool to try (imo), but it would probably work on some maps better than others. 

I can't say I've ever really thought (2v2) CE Slayer needed improving. Slayer in basically every other Halo game has been pretty trash, though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So my brother has just had a child, which means a trip back to my home town this weekend, which means IMPROMTU CE LAN!  

It will also be amazing to see my new niece as well

• Upvote (+1) 3