CyReN

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Discussion

Eh, I was up there somewhere. Maybe not 50k, definitely close to 30k or more though. Believe it or not, as much as I really don't like Halo 3 anymore, I played it constantly. I made a ton of friends who are still friends irl to this day because of that game. Not to mention Halo was practically the only game I played religiously. Once I ended up actually having a life, college, girls, boxing, etc.. that cut down tremendously obviously lol.

Still played AAU basketball and boxed throughout my childhood though, not really a basement dweller lol. Those include stupid custom game that only lasted a couple minutes and events I've went to.

I had several GTs. My GT during those days were mixed mainly between So SiK KiD II, FeaR DeucEy, and FeaR ShinDeucEy along with a bunch of other MLG smurfs that I would just get 50s on. All of those tags were either banned/renamed to something else and renamed with another tag at some point so good luck trying to find the actual tags, I have zero idea which accounts were which.

I'll admit, I was a damn nerd when I was younger, Halo was all I played. Invited friends over, played for 2 days straight LANing in my living room until my parents physically removed us (the best times lol). I don't mind laughing at myself, go ahead and look at the very first gamertag on Xbox Live, Dad34 (Yes, I hated this gamertag with a passion lol) and that was pushing 30k.

http://halo.bungie.net/stats/PlayerStatsHalo2.aspx?player=dad34&sg=3

I ended up getting my own account at some point and that was my main account, xAKx RideOrDie. That was the account I ended up getting to a 40 in Team Hardcore and competed under.

All that being said, I don't have a problem admitting I had no life. I made a shit ton of friends playing Halo. Ended up getting a job at MLG because of Halo. Ended up getting into my career and moving from Chicago when I was 20 because of Halo. Now, I make a great living for myself, have a bunch of friends, and got a chance to travel across the country on MLG's dime specifically because of that game. Trust and believe I'm not embarrassed about my gaming habits when I was younger.  :laughing:

I understand your passion. I didn't have the time nor do I truly understand how some people did play THAT much but H3 was definitely a big part of my life as well when I was a teenager.

All im saying is I love Halo, and if my Halo choices boil down to Halo X Call of duy advanced destinyfall or H3 where I have to lead slightly more than usual, my choice is obvious. I have a blast playing the MCC and I just wish more people would set aside their issues with the game and just play and have fun.

Don't want to speak too soon, but hopefully Modern Warfare Remastered is the catalyst that brings the older style of video games back. Hopefully the fact that Modern Warfare is usually right up next to infinite warfare on twitch raises some eyebrows in the developer world. Today MWR is actually above IW, but we'll see if it's a honeymoon phase thing or not.

Slowly but surely, I'm seeing the demand for older video games go up, and it's pretty exciting.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The PC port of H1 plays so vastly different from the console it's ridiculous. Even with extreme latency it does not feel anywhere similar to XBC, as they put some sort of weird no lead mod into the game. I know plenty H1 people who bought the game and were looking forward to it only for them to return their xbox ones and start traveling to LANs again rather than dealing with this.

Huh? Halo PC required ridiculous amounts of lead, like "a bodylength in front of the person" levels of lead. It actually made the game kind of cool, taken in its own right, because it offset the comparatively easier aiming with the mouse. Obviously it was unintentional incompetence that lead the game to be that way, but the resulting gameplay was downright fun, albeit quite different. Obviously CE is the better and more competitive game when it comes down to it, but Halo PC was actually quite competitive when played on, for example, Blood Gulch because it was so hard to 3sk somebody. In extreme cases you could go through an entire clip and not kill somebody while they were out in the open, and this made the big open maps play much differently.

Huh? Halo PC required ridiculous amounts of lead, like "a bodylength in front of the person" levels of lead. It actually made the game kind of cool, taken in its own right, because it offset the comparatively easier aiming with the mouse. Obviously it was unintentional incompetence that lead the game to be that way, but the resulting gameplay was downright fun, albeit quite different. Obviously CE is the better and more competitive game when it comes down to it, but Halo PC was actually quite competitive when played on, for example, Blood Gulch because it was so hard to 3sk somebody. In extreme cases you could go through an entire clip and not kill somebody while they were out in the open, and this made the big open maps play much differently.

Yes, Halo PC by default had you leading by a large margarine due to latency, however look up the no lead mod for Halo PC, That's what I believe has been added to MCC at some point a few months after release. If you played around launch time you would have had to lead a ridiculous amount on large maps + high latency, but that's no longer the case.

Leading on XBC felt like leading on halo PC but with a more accurate pistol (I believe the maximum bullet deviancy is higher on PC, someone posted the numbers a while back)

There's pros and cons. I played a ton of xbc and am pretty damn good at leading on terrible connections, but who is to say that's really a fair skill? I personally enjoy the extreme amounts of leading opposed to a no-lead mod.

<snip>

When I was playing MCC, I mostly played to play Halo 3 BTB. These are the reasons I stopped playing:

Search times: Almost every time I would search BTB, the lobby would fill up quickly with 13-15 players. Then the long wait beings. Often times it would take over 10 minutes to find the last 1 or 2 players needed, and that's only if everyone else is patient enough to stick around and wait for them.

Search restarts if quitter during voting countdown: This is actually an issue that 343 created in one of their "updates". If somebody dashboards/quits during the voting countdown, the maps will disappear and the endless search for more players to fill in for the quitters begins. Of course, nobody wants to wait 10 more minutes for 1-2 more players, so everybody just leaves.

No host migration process: This is insult to injury. Not only did 343 lie to us about having dedicated servers, but they didn't even add a host migration process. So, if the host is super laggy, too bad for you, you're stuck with it for the entire match. If the host quits, too bad for you, the game ends. What a joke. On top of this, I don't believe there is even a host selection process either, giving host randomly, no matter how shit their internet may be.

H3 BTB AR start Assault and King of the Hill: This was just stupid. H3 BTB was never and should never, EVER, be AR start. On top of that king of the hill was never a BTB game type. 343 actually acknowledged the AR start complaint in H3 BTB. What did they do?! Well, they half assed it by removing assault and leaving king of the hill. They even said they'd be re-adding H3 assault game types with BR start and that still has not happened, as far as I'm aware.

Yes, Halo PC by default had you leading by a large margarine due to latency, however look up the no lead mod for Halo PC, That's what I believe has been added to MCC at some point a few months after release. If you played around launch time you would have had to lead a ridiculous amount on large maps + high latency, but that's no longer the case.

Leading on XBC felt like leading on halo PC but with a more accurate pistol (I believe the maximum bullet deviancy is higher on PC, someone posted the numbers a while back)

There's pros and cons. I played a ton of xbc and am pretty damn good at leading on terrible connections, but who is to say that's really a fair skill? I personally enjoy the extreme amounts of leading opposed to a no-lead mod.

Ah ok, I see what you're saying. There's definitely some compensating netcode layered on top of whatever Halo PC was using, because it's completely different from the feel of Halo PC or, obviously, XBC (no surprise, since XBC was essentially the absence of netcode). I imagine 343 thought this was value-added because it wouldn't require ridiculous amounts of lead, but I definitely agree that requiring lead was better in some ways than having netcode in the loop doing client-side registration. 

I think it's pretty fair to say that modern gamers would be really put off by the no-frills XBC experience, because it essentially feels like your bullets don't do anything when you first start playing it. It makes me sad that we don't just have XBC with dedicated servers and a MM system, but realistically there would have been equivalent outcry from more casual players if they had released something like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've got a clip that shows me leading at a pretty close range on Hang Em High. I lead more here at a closer distance than I have to do now at a farther difference, and this was on a pretty decent connection as you can see. MCC Halo CE has been inconsistent with it's shot registration but when the game first came out and leading was more apparent, I found my shots connected a lot better, but for all I know maybe I just haven't figured out how to shoot properly on MCC. (if possible)

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Teapot%20Yo/video/1874263

I've got a clip that shows me leading at a pretty close range on Hang Em High. I lead more here at a closer distance than I have to do now at a farther difference, and this was on a pretty decent connection as you can see. MCC Halo CE has been inconsistent with it's shot registration but when the game first came out and leading was more apparent, I found my shots connected a lot better, but for all I know maybe I just haven't figured out how to shoot properly on MCC. (if possible)

Despite all that, that was a good clean 3 shot. Nice.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

It doesn't help that in one game you'll get the BB gun pistol and the next you'll get the never miss a shot pistol. The gun is so inconsistent on MCC.

• Upvote (+1) 2

After all these years I still have no fucking idea what is going on with the Halo 2 BR. Are my shots not registering or am I missing? How did I play this game so many years ago? Half of my BR battles are like 7-8 bursts of what I swear should be hits.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Don't want to speak too soon, but hopefully Modern Warfare Remastered is the catalyst that brings the older style of video games back. Hopefully the fact that Modern Warfare is usually right up next to infinite warfare on twitch raises some eyebrows in the developer world. Today MWR is actually above IW, but we'll see if it's a honeymoon phase thing or not.

Slowly but surely, I'm seeing the demand for older video games go up, and it's pretty exciting.

Seeing how solid MWR turned out makes me wish 343 just focused on a lone, faithful H2C port instead of taking on the task of an entire Halo collection. But knowing them, they probably would have screwed that up too somehow.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

After all these years I still have no fucking idea what is going on with the Halo 2 BR. Are my shots not registering or am I missing? How did I play this game so many years ago? Half of my BR battles are like 7-8 bursts of what I swear should be hits.

The h2 net code in MCC is dog shit if you're not, I swear it's gotten worse with every update.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Doesn't H2V have different spawns from the OG version as well I remember someone bringing it up here but not sure if that was ever confirmed.

Doesn't H2V have different spawns from the OG version as well I remember someone bringing it up here but not sure if that was ever confirmed.

yeah, I believe the z axis has a different influence on spawns in h2v at the least.

The h2 net code in MCC is dog shit if you're not, I swear it's gotten worse with every update.

It felt so good when I was playing 1v1s with @@CyReN before MCC came out. Then it just felt terrible ever since.

• Upvote (+1) 1

To date, I think the only match I've had on a dedicated server was on launch day, a Snipers match on Colossus. I don't like Halo 2 much, but that was fun. Felt smoother than OG usually was. All my H2 matches since then have felt "off"...and pretty much every non-H2A match as well.

IW is #2 on the most played list for Xbox. Behind BF1. Which is a good sign as well. MWR is sitting at #6 which is pretty good considering you had to buy a $100 version of IW just to play it.

These are all good signs for Halo fans. 343 is a follower so the only way we get a good Halo is if other devs drop all the junk first.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Two years ago today, Halo: The Master Chief Collection released.

:tear:

• Upvote (+1) 4

:( it's the only Halo I play now... but man, what a disappointment. Pure extortion.
  • Upvote (+1) 2